Sample Society: July 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their customer service is definitely slipping. I'm missing an item from my box (the lip pencil) and I emailed them four days ago. "7 days a week, 24/7" my butt lol. I actually want the item, I hope they're not just going to give me some discount code--I don't really think I'll be getting anything from their store anyway.

I swear they had really prompt service when they started.. I wonder how many subscribers they have now?

I called and told them how disappointed I was.  Only think I got was a $10 store credit.

Honestly I just wanted replacements so I could try what I wanted out of the box!  Oh well, hope this is not the beginning of a bad relationship with SS.

I emailed CS last week and had no problem. Got a response within 12 hours. Dunno what's taking so long for them to get back to you ladies. That's too bad; typically they have great CS.

So far I think Birchbox is turning out to be my favorite, and I of course like Julep, and Myglam is good for the price too.
I have to say that I prefer Birchbox so far. Both companies have great customer service, but even with this month's screwups I like most of the products from Birchbox better. Teensy samples of eye and face cream just don't impress me much. Also, I've scoured the website to find something to use my coupon with, and there's just no products in those brands that add up to $50 that I really want or need. I liked the lip pencil but its too dark to use with most of my lipsticks and the white end doesn't apply smoothly and just looks stupid on my cupid's bow. (Got milk)? Better luck next month.

Wacky:  I canceled last month, mostly because I was very disappointed in the samples.  I forget everything I said, but I'm fairly certain the fact that I specifically mentioned the acne products because that's not an issue I need to address, and I was extremely annoyed to get acne stuff twice in three months.  Today, I got a call from them.  Here's the thing:  I was also annoyed that I never received the _Allure_ subscription, which I also mentioned in my cancellation.  I sent email last week asking if I could still get it, and I was told that, yes, I should, and I could call Conde Nast, or Sample Society's customer service could do it on my behalf.  I keep forgetting to call, so I asked them yesterday to go ahead and contact CN for me.  I thought that's what the call was about.  Nope:  They were calling because they noticed that the reason I canceled was because I didn't like the samples being sent, so they're sending out the latest box to me for free.  And I just went into my account to see what the previous things I received that caused me to give up on the box were, and the order for the free box was processed yesterday.  

My final box with Sample Society arrived today. I have cancelled and thought I wouldn't be getting one but I was charged for it ($16.25) and it came today via UPS ground.

Jouer is seen in this month's Birchbox (but I didn't get one in my box, thank goodness).

The Vbeauté came in my June Glossybox.

Borghese I've tried in the past and still have a facial mask so I'll use this after using their mask.

Only two new products for me is the Vincent Longo dual lip liner (pretty colors) and the Sisley cream.

I decided to cancel for a variety of minor reasons that just added up to me not wanting to continue on. The products are good, on par with Birchbox, and that's the thing... many of items seen in Birchbox have been in Sample Society and vica versa so why continue to pay $16.25 for things I get in Birchbox for only $10? Plus their rewards system isn't that great since it's $15 off $50 purchase meaning I STILL have to pay $35 out of pocket plus tax (on the $50 not the $35) plus possibly shipping (I don't recall if I did with one order I did with the Dermalogica cleanser I bought a few months ago).

I like Sample Society but the price is too much for stuff I get in Birchbox for less.

I am also now being charged tax and it is making me not want to use the 15.00 off coupon since its no longer REALLY 15.00 off.. depending on the amount of the purchase its more like 10.00 off .. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Just curious if anyone else has received the following email.....

Hi Gina,
We appreciate the feedback you provided when you cancelled your Sample Society enrollment and are so sorry that you were not pleased with the samples you received. As a courtesy, we are sending you our most recent box free of charge. We look forward to serving you better in the future.

As always, please feel free to contact our friendly Customer Care team by phone (toll-free, 1-888-696-0423) or by email ([email protected]) if you ever have any questions, comments or suggestions regarding our service. We're open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,

Customer Care Team
BeautyBar.com

^ I think the person 3 posts up received the same. Has anyone else ever had missing samples? How do they usually respond to that? It's been five days since I emailed and no response, aside from the one stating they received my response. I think I'm just going to call them :/. The boxes aren't bad per se, but I agree they're not really a value for $15--if you figure you're spending three bucks for each sample, all those empty air tubes of eye cream add up lol.

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I think the person 3 posts up received the same. Has anyone else ever had missing samples? How do they usually respond to that? It's been five days since I emailed and no response, aside from the one stating they received my response. I think I'm just going to call them :/.

The boxes aren't bad per se, but I agree they're not really a value for $15--if you figure you're spending three bucks for each sample, all those empty air tubes of eye cream add up lol.
I would call if I were you. Be sure to tell them how long you have been waiting for a reply. They usually will 'do more' for you for the inconvenience.

lol I just called and I was redirected to a voicemail saying they were at a company-wide 'event' until 5 PM or something. I think I have the worst timing :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would call if I were you. Be sure to tell them how long you have been waiting for a reply. They usually will 'do more' for you for the inconvenience.

Originally Posted by GinaM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Gina,
We appreciate the feedback you provided when you cancelled your Sample Society enrollment and are so sorry that you were not pleased with the samples you received. As a courtesy, we are sending you our most recent box free of charge. We look forward to serving you better in the future.
As always, please feel free to contact our friendly Customer Care team by phone (toll-free, 1-888-696-0423) or by email ([email protected]) if you ever have any questions, comments or suggestions regarding our service. We're open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,

Customer Care Team

BeautyBar.com
I didn't get that email but I got a tracking confirmation today. I canceled over a month ago, I hope they don't charge me.

Originally Posted by GinaM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Gina,

Sincerely,

Customer Care Team

BeautyBar.com

I received a phone call, not an email.  I'm actually a little annoyed about this now because I replied to the CS person asking them to go ahead and contact Conde Nast on my behalf to see about my promised _Allure_ subscription (I have problems remembering to call when things are open, plus Beauty Bar/Sample Society are the ones who seem to have dropped the ball, plus they're probably going to have to confirm my subscription, so my vote is that they should fix it.  I had an issue with Bank of America last week -- entirely work-related, so at least I got paid to get furious with them -- that I took a similar stance on:  You broke it, so you can fix it), and I haven't heard anything back on that request.  And I received a shipping notice today, the same day I received a notice that my replacement Birchbox was shipping, so I will consider this an interesting experiment to see which one arrives first.

I'm still figuring it out but I think I may be having a reaction to the Borghese Cream, it's really the only new thing I've been using and I see the reaction on my hands which is the only place I have used it. I am gonna stop using it and see if it gets better. Anyone else have any issues?

There was a message from ss on hubbys phone. Basically saying they are sorry I didn't like the samples & are sending me a free box. I'll take it
icon_cheesygrin.gif

The vBeaute Eye Repair gave me an almost instant burning reaction but I have super sensitive skin. I just passed it on to a friend and they enjoyed it.

The boxes aren't bad per se, but I agree they're not really a value for $15--if you figure you're spending three bucks for each sample, all those empty air tubes of eye cream add up lol.
Air tubes, that sounds like a good new phrase. Reminds me of air guitar.
icon_lol.gif

I didn't get a call or an email about a free box. I did get an email to "score" on if I would recommend them or not and I gave them a score they probably wouldn't like. I doubt I will get a call or anything for free lol

i sent them a 2nd hate mail on how much i hated the july box. they gave me a $15 credit.... i guess that works out.

$15 dollars is a lot for useless things. I want my $$$ worth!

Back