Sample Society: June 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sooo...I was just on Sample Society/Beauty Bar, and thought to get my papa a gift there and saw there's an Art of Shaving Kit..Does anyone know someone who's tried it before? I'm curious about their products and read a few reviews on Sephora(they have it listed for double the price!!!!)
I got a free sample one with my last HauteLook order. I gave it to hubby, not sure if he has tried it yet. I'll ask him what he thinks when he gets home.

My dad loves those shaving brushes and stuff..so I thought it'd be a neat splurge and something new for him to try out. Thanks!

Originally Posted by StillPooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got a free sample one with my last HauteLook order. I gave it to hubby, not sure if he has tried it yet. I'll ask him what he thinks when he gets home.

I bought a set for my husband from the Art of Shaving store a few yrs ago--he loved the brush, shaving cream and after shave balm.  He did not love the oil--he thought it gunked up his razor too much.  Overall though, he liked it.  The brush is awesome and soooo soft. 

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sooo...I was just on Sample Society/Beauty Bar, and thought to get my papa a gift there and saw there's an Art of Shaving Kit..Does anyone know someone who's tried it before? I'm curious about their products and read a few reviews on Sephora(they have it listed for double the price!!!!)

My father has a nice brush..thanks to me..but thought with Father's Day coming up, it'd be a nice change. He's been using the same soap for ever and it's just plain old stuff, but his skin is getting more sensitive and irritated. I do like the kit and funny you should mention, the oil was the only thing I figured my papa would think was a little too "foofoo" lol. 

Originally Posted by AngeBrooklyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought a set for my husband from the Art of Shaving store a few yrs ago--he loved the brush, shaving cream and after shave balm.  He did not love the oil--he thought it gunked up his razor too much.  Overall though, he liked it.  The brush is awesome and soooo soft. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When it IS the fragrance my grandmother wore (the original Oscar de la Renta, that is), why is it tasteless to have that mental association?
I must agree with calexxia... generations tend to have different taste in perfumes and fashion, too. if something looks like the wrong generation or smells like the wrong generation, we don't like it. Most 50 year-olds I know aren't buying a whole lot of fruity smelling stuff like Sun-Ripened Raspberry from Bath and Body Works, which was popular when I was in my teens. Likewise, not too many 20-something would want to wear Opium, which was my mother's signature fragrance. Some things are okay to classify with a generation, especially perfume. Lavender is kind of a grandma smell unless its combined in a new way, like LaVanilla.

Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif Lavender is kind of a grandma smell unless its combined in a new way, like LaVanilla.
I wear rose, lavender or jasmine straight when possible and I'm 37. I grew up with perfumes that had one note. The mix of many different exotic notes tends to be "newer" as within the last decade or so. So I do think you're right that some scents are generational.

Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most 50 year-olds I know aren't buying a whole lot of fruity smelling stuff like Sun-Ripened Raspberry from Bath and Body Works
Funny, but that is one of my all-time favorites from Bath & Body! At least until I discovered Coconut Lime Verbena. 
smilehappyyes.gif

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wear rose, lavender or jasmine straight when possible and I'm 37. I grew up with perfumes that had one note. The mix of many different exotic notes tends to be "newer" as within the last decade or so. So I do think you're right that some scents are generational.
I should also add that it's impossible to fit everyone into boxes, generational or not. Especially here on this thread... We wouldn't be here if we weren't into the "latest" thing, right? So many of the generational stereotypes probably don't fit most of us. I'm 34, and I hated the smell of rose anything growing up, but now I like it. I loved the smell of Sun-Ripened Raspberry (still do), but I'm afraid sometimes it just doesn't suit my look/style anymore, you know?

I'm curious what everyone's favorite types of fragrances are (clean, musky, floral, spicy, etc), and what their favorite specific fragrance is. Mine is "Amazing Grace" by Philosophy. I love it. I generally avoid strong florals, but I like "fresh" florals like this one, and anything that has "clean" notes works well for me. I like water notes, but not if they are too grassy/green, because they clash with my chemistry. I also love Narciso Rodriguez' perfume for her for when I want a stronger, more sensual fragrance.

ETA: Zadidoll, what do you think of D&G's Rose The One? I got it as a sample through Sephora recently, and it might have made my top 3 list.

You're absolutely right that it's impossible to fit everyone. These are sample boxes so it's expected that things we normally won't try will be sent to us. It's so easy for us to complain - I know I do my fair share of complaining - but it's not really fair to the respective companies who we are subscribed to.

I haven't tried D&G's Rose The One. I'll see if my local Sephora has it to try later this weekend.

I'm curious what everyone's favorite types of fragrances are (clean, musky, floral, spicy, etc), and what their favorite specific fragrance is.
I generally am drawn to woodier scents, but also like fresh and floral, too. The only thing I absolutely hate is powdery scents, and I don't care for scents that are too musky. Right now my two favorites are Miss Dior and Tocca's Stella.

Originally Posted by StillPooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Funny, but that is one of my all-time favorites from Bath & Body! At least until I discovered Coconut Lime Verbena. 
smilehappyyes.gif
Oh I love Coconut Lime Verbena!! That's one of my go to daily scents along with a citrusy spray from B&BW called Optimism. It's in a white ceramic bottle with orange lettering and I got it for a steal on clearance. One of the best purchases I ever made!

That said, I'm quite fond of the Live the Love from this month's box. This was my first month and I was really happy with the contents. I'm 20 and still have acne 
icon_confused.gif
 so the Murad was nice. And I thought the lip treatment was just adorable. So yeah, pretty happy overall!

Originally Posted by sprite9034 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm curious what everyone's favorite types of fragrances are (clean, musky, floral, spicy, etc), and what their favorite specific fragrance is.
I generally am drawn to woodier scents, but also like fresh and floral, too. The only thing I absolutely hate is powdery scents, and I don't care for scents that are too musky. Right now my two favorites are Miss Dior and Tocca's Stella.

I myself dont care for citrusy or powdery scents, but my (twin) sister loves them

Originally Posted by Shutterbug68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh I love Coconut Lime Verbena!! That's one of my go to daily scents along with a citrusy spray from B&BW called Optimism. It's in a white ceramic bottle with orange lettering and I got it for a steal on clearance. One of the best purchases I ever made!

That said, I'm quite fond of the Live the Love from this month's box. This was my first month and I was really happy with the contents. I'm 20 and still have acne 
icon_confused.gif
 so the Murad was nice. And I thought the lip treatment was just adorable. So yeah, pretty happy overall!
Girl, I'm 34 and still have (small but frequent) breakouts. Even worse now that I'm (first time) pregnant! I thought for sure when I hit 21 I would "grow out of it" as my mom would say... but alas, no. At least I've learned how to deal with it after all these years. Sometimes someone will even compliment my skin (that's always when they don't know I'm actually wearing makeup hee hee)!

I'm really impressed with the results I have been getting from the Murad Acne Cleanser with salycilic acid.  I have ultra dry skin from head to toe, and havent had a breakout in at least 20 years, but I do have some bumpy skin on my upper chest (I call it chicken skin).  After just a fews days use, my skin in this area has improved dramatically!  Its so much smoother now.  I just stocked up on the full size.  I'm really excited to have this beauty delimma solved!

I like the Live in Love fragrance too, but it doesnt seem to last long on me. 

Girl, I'm 34 and still have (small but frequent) breakouts. Even worse now that I'm (first time) pregnant! I thought for sure when I hit 21 I would "grow out of it" as my mom would say... but alas, no. At least I've learned how to deal with it after all these years. Sometimes someone will even compliment my skin (that's always when they don't know I'm actually wearing makeup hee hee)!
Congratulations! I got terrible its along my jawline when I was preggo! I'm excited for my box! shipping says it's out for delivery! I just hope I get it before work and don't have to dwell on it all day! My first SS box :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I must agree with calexxia... generations tend to have different taste in perfumes and fashion, too. if something looks like the wrong generation or smells like the wrong generation, we don't like it. Most 50 year-olds I know aren't buying a whole lot of fruity smelling stuff like Sun-Ripened Raspberry from Bath and Body Works, which was popular when I was in my teens. Likewise, not too many 20-something would want to wear Opium, which was my mother's signature fragrance. Some things are okay to classify with a generation, especially perfume. Lavender is kind of a grandma smell unless its combined in a new way, like LaVanilla.
I'm going to be 47 later this year and I love those fruity scents! But I do agree that fragrance, like hemlines, can vary with decades and generations. My mother wore something that came in a big bottle with a bulb sprayer; the bulb was covered in an intricately-knit magenta wrap and had a hose leading to the top of the bottle, which looked like cut crystal. the scent was a rich floral and Matka never told me the name, just said it was a little souvenir of Europe. She's been gone 24 years and I still want to smack her for getting rid of it when she used the perfume up! It was an opulent scent, but still had the feathered-hat-and-sensible-shoes aura of a respectable suburban church lady.

Now I was a young kid during the throes of the Sexual Revolution, and in the early 1970's you couldn't spit without hitting something with musk in it. I bought my very first perfume in 1973 when I was just seven years old: it was a compact that may have been Coty Sweet Earth, and contained three solid scents--Wild Musk, Lemon Musk, and Jasmine Musk, beginning an obsession with Jasmine that continues to the present day. Rebelling against the Church Lady that was my mother, the industry slapped conventionality and conservatism across the mouth, and promoted free sex in a bottle.

I find it interesting that in the 80's with women donning suits of armor that included shoulder pads to rival a football players, the "power secnts" emerged (think Obsession) and they were like an armor of their own. A woman's "power suit" screamed at the world to look, but not touch; and the power scent created a boundary that IMO kept people at a greater distance. I love Obsession and Opium, but I don't find that that they invite people into my most intimate circle. Rather, they draw a line, as the power suit and shoulder pads drew a line between climbing corporate ladies and those whom they wished to command. Just my take, and sorry for the ramble! ;-)

I'm curious what everyone's favorite types of fragrances are (clean, musky, floral, spicy, etc), and what their favorite specific fragrance is. Mine is "Amazing Grace" by Philosophy. I love it. I generally avoid strong florals, but I like "fresh" florals like this one, and anything that has "clean" notes works well for me. I like water notes, but not if they are too grassy/green, because they clash with my chemistry. I also love Narciso Rodriguez' perfume for her for when I want a stronger, more sensual fragrance.
For everyday I usually go for citrusy scents, especially during warmer months (think White Citrus, Tuscan Blood Orange, CKOne) or fresh with warm notes (Origins Ginger Essence). I might change it up with Clean of Tocca Stella. Lately though, I've been drawn toward richer and warmer notes, developing an obsession with Boyfriend around the time of the Spring Equinox; and thanks to Birchbox I've run out and gotten me some Miss Dior, which I would drink on the rocks if I could, it smells that delicious.

I'm usually a fruity or green girl.  For summer, i usually go with the latest Escada limited edition (a bit like the Viva la Juicy).  And for years, it was Calyx (that scent brings back memories).  For the rest of the year, I still have some Calvin Klein Contradiction.  

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For everyday I usually go for citrusy scents, especially during warmer months (think White Citrus, Tuscan Blood Orange, CKOne) or fresh with warm notes (Origins Ginger Essence). I might change it up with Clean of Tocca Stella. Lately though, I've been drawn toward richer and warmer notes, developing an obsession with Boyfriend around the time of the Spring Equinox; and thanks to Birchbox I've run out and gotten me some Miss Dior, which I would drink on the rocks if I could, it smells that delicious.

Originally Posted by Mandy Kane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congratulations! I got terrible its along my jawline when I was preggo! I'm excited for my box! shipping says it's out for delivery! I just hope I get it before work and don't have to dwell on it all day! My first SS box :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks! Yes, along my jawline, too! I read long ago that often breakouts along your jawline indicate stress-related acne...

It's my first SS box, too! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back