Sample Society March 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Pretty disappointed with my first Sample Society box, I have to say.

This is the box I received:

Which is all fine and good, although literally nothing in this entire box interests me in the slightest. I will use the Ahava and I'll probably try the CC cream. I was excited for the Jane Tran until I saw the camo. Uh...no thanks. I'll use the bobby pin at least, lol.

My main issue was that My Ahava was covered in some weird white dust and the front had some weird maroon stain on it (you can even see it a bit still in the picture) The Jane Iredale tanner was all gooped in the cap when I unscrewed it, and the tinted sunscreen bottle was practically EMPTY lol. I completely squeezed it flat and still nothing came out. They specify on their site that each sample will have MORE than one use, and this clearly does not have that.

I e-mailed customer service at 2am (it's 4:30am now...I'm a night owl lol) and someone already responded to my e-mail!

She apologized left and right and sympathized with me greatly and no questions, no photos/returns needed, she's sending me a replacement box.

While this was kind of a bummer of a box for me, I am so incredibly impressed with their customer service that I intend on continuing my subscription for a bit.

Just felt like sharing with you all, but I'm sure many of you must know already how great their customer service is. Color me impressed!

I got my box today too and was also a little bummed, honestly. I actually kind of dig the camo, but don't really wear hair clips. This was my box (E):

Sorry for the crappy picture. The cleanser is nice, and I will probably finish but won't repurchase. I am skeptical of the hair product as if offers "light hold," but I will give it a whirl. I don't use self tanner. The Diptyque was the box saver for me. It reminds me a nicer version of E+J Black. 

I'm glad to hear that they offered you another box. BeautyBar customer service is a huge reason I keep going with Sample Society. They're awesome, and you can talk to a live human 24/7. 

Quote: Originally Posted by panicked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my box today too and was also a little bummed, honestly. I actually kind of dig the camo, but don't really wear hair clips. This was my box (E):

Sorry for the crappy picture. The cleanser is nice, and I will probably finish but won't repurchase. I am skeptical of the hair product as if offers "light hold," but I will give it a whirl. I don't use self tanner. The Diptyque was the box saver for me. It reminds me a nicer version of E+J Black. 

I'm glad to hear that they offered you another box. BeautyBar customer service is a huge reason I keep going with Sample Society. They're awesome, and you can talk to a live human 24/7. 

Your box would have definitely been more up my alley, but I know they all can't be winners!

I agree though, this is my first box from them and while it kind of gave me a bad first impression, I was more than impressed with not only how fast they responded to me, but how she was genuinely concerned about my issues and without question issued me a replacement box. Knowing they will take care of any issues I have with my box makes me want to continue my subscription with them. I really value good customer service because it's not very common anymore.

I do think it's fun that there's a variety of box options! At least it'll be exciting to see what everyone is getting each month! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well, Sample Society has fulfilled one purpose, which is to get me to buy full size products. I just ordered both of the Alterna products (the strand expand cream and 48 hour volume spray) that I received awhile back. Stuff *never* works on my long fine hair so I fell in love once I saw actual results. They totaled up to just under $50, so I was going to add a mini Ahava lotion to use the $15 off code, but using their 20% off code for first time users without the lotion (which I didn't really need anyway) ended up being a better deal. I also had a $5 credit, so I was able to get both full size products for $35 plus they threw in a really awesome Philosophy GWP and a free soap.

Pretty nice first shopping experience with Beauty Bar I must say (Editing to add that my order shipped already - wow!) Sometimes Sample Society bores me a bit, but as I said I think that's just overall sample burnout because truthfully I am discovering some great stuff. I'm going to stick with it for awhile. I haven't gotten this month's box yet and I'm not that excited by what my dashboard shows, but who knows. I might be pleasantly surprised again!

Quote:   While this was kind of a bummer of a box for me, I am so incredibly impressed with their customer service that I intend on continuing my subscription for a bit.

Just felt like sharing with you all, but I'm sure many of you must know already how great their customer service is. Color me impressed!

Their customer service is really stellar. That alone is enough to keep me hanging on through a few "blah" boxes. Sorry you didn't like your first box, that *is* certainly a bummer.

When they send a great box, they send a GREAT BOX and that gives me the guts to plod through the occasional bummers they send. I'm still impressed with the full-size Vincent Longo shadow we got last fall, and for the most part the sample sizes are excellent. And the service is hard to beat. In January, I was missing a product and they refunded me the entire cost of the box; this month, I got an empty tube of mineral tinted cream and got a $5 store credit. I have never been made to feel like they thought I was lying or trolling for discounts.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When they send a great box, they send a GREAT BOX and that gives me the guts to plod through the occasional bummers they send. I'm still impressed with the full-size Vincent Longo shadow we got last fall, and for the most part the sample sizes are excellent. And the service is hard to beat. In January, I was missing a product and they refunded me the entire cost of the box; this month, I got an empty tube of mineral tinted cream and got a $5 store credit. I have never been made to feel like they thought I was lying or trolling for discounts.
Yea that mineral cream was REALLY empty, haha. I mean...just put it in a dang foil packet! They do point out more than once on their site that each of their samples are "deluxe" which means "you can use the product more than once" and stuff, so that cream definitely did not fall into that category.

(forgive my hideous nails) I mean c'mon...lol. That's before I had even tried it!

I got the Sam box bit haven't had a chance to do.more than peek. Now I want to go home and squeeze all the tubes. Good thing it's almost the weekend.

Sample society frequently sends out  half empty tubes.  I've heard mixed things from people who have complained about this.  They sent me a survey in Sept and I mentioned it on the survey and they sent me a $5 certificate & I haven't received any half empty tubes since (although I haven't tried my Jane Iredale self tanner yet).  I have tons of samples from sephora & other places & never experienced so little products in tubes like this, so it's a quality control issue more than it's a small tube & hard to fill issue.  

I received box E this month & immediately tried 3 things, which is a first.  A lot of times it sits around for a while.  I used the hair clip, the diptyque, & the CC cream.  The next day I had a ton of flakes in my hair, not sure if it was the cream or if my hair is having a flaky day, I'll have to use it a second time to see.  I was excited to try the diptyque because so many people rave about it, but it's my least favorite perfume ever.  Not sure if they make better scents or if this just reacted with my body funny.

Yea that mineral cream was REALLY empty, haha. I mean...just put it in a dang foil packet! They do point out more than once on their site that each of their samples are "deluxe" which means "you can use the product more than once" and stuff, so that cream definitely did not fall into that category. (forgive my hideous nails) I mean c'mon...lol. That's before I had even tried it!
I got this tiny blip of cream about the size of a comma, and that was after squeezing the living snot out of that tube! It was not enough to do a single cheek. The guy I spoke with was very nice about the whole thing, saying he had a lot of calls from people who'd received half-filled tubes and he'd told them that it should have been sufficient for several uses. I said it would have been all well and good had I gotten a half-filled tube instead of a tube full of air!

Yea that mineral cream was REALLY empty, haha. I mean...just put it in a dang foil packet! They do point out more than once on their site that each of their samples are "deluxe" which means "you can use the product more than once" and stuff, so that cream definitely did not fall into that category. (forgive my hideous nails) I mean c'mon...lol. That's before I had even tried it!
I got the Jane iredale tan stuff! I mean I got the tube it was suppose to be in and a tiny dot on the end of my finger tip after I squeezed and squeezed and squeezed! Ridicules! Oh well can't use it now anyway! : )

I got my box today too and was also a little bummed, honestly. I actually kind of dig the camo, but don't really wear hair clips. This was my box (E): Sorry for the crappy picture. The cleanser is nice, and I will probably finish but won't repurchase. I am skeptical of the hair product as if offers "light hold," but I will give it a whirl. I don't use self tanner. The Diptyque was the box saver for me. It reminds me a nicer version of E+J Black.  I'm glad to hear that they offered you another box. BeautyBar customer service is a huge reason I keep going with Sample Society. They're awesome, and you can talk to a live human 24/7. 
This was my box with an amost empty tube of the tan stuff. Would have liked it besides that!

In order to use my $15 code do i have to purchase one of the items i received in full size or can it be travel size?

SS I am putting this out into cyberspace for you...send caudaile products and nail polish next month! 
icon_redface.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by erikalandaverde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  In order to use my $15 code do i have to purchase one of the items i received in full size or can it be travel size?
Try it on the site, but I think you just have to have a product from a brand in your box, it does not matter the size or if it is the product you had in your box.

Quote: Originally Posted by puppymomofthree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Try it on the site, but I think you just have to have a product from a brand in your box, it does not matter the size or if it is the product you had in your box.
okay thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I won't use the hairpins anyway, but Laurenv78 mentioned that it would be better if we got two matching ones. That's a really good point and just so true. If I did ever use that sort of item in my hair, I'd use two and want them to be identical. That really is the only part of this box that's a fail for me.
That's a good point, I would have rather had two clip style hair pins, I don't mind if they don't match prints or colors but I can't use the bobby pin style one it's slides in my hair too much since my hair is fine, thin and naturally oily. Seems silly just to trade my one bobby pin.  Oh well.

Has anyone been using their codes to make purchases from Beautybar? I ask because, as much as I love my Sephora points, Beautybar has awesome free gifts with purchase. I'm not sure if it's just this month or what, but I ordered some hair products and they threw in an Erno Laszlo cleansing bar and a very generous Philosophy set. I went back today to order the matching shampoo and conditioner and they added a free Butter London eye pencil! Their shipping is super fast too. I promise I don't work for Beautybar, I'm just a sucker for free stuff!

Back