Sample Society: October 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mark-up on cosmetic industry is tremendous, from 25x to 150x, in it's raw material cost.  The greatest product expense is the advertisement and marketing.  

The product that run $300 could carry a raw meterial cost of $2 (high-end) or the $2 product with a raw material cost of $0.50 (drug store).  This is the business I've no problem or judgement.  I enjoy the pampered feel.  I especially dig a marketing campaigns that puts me in the company of Audrey Hepern and Hungary nobaility, that having this little tester of EL 3-9 Balm is capable of achieving at least for this Wednesday morning.

Being of relative humble means though, keeping in mind the industry mark up of 25x to 150x, my 'sweet spot' for the subscriptions, is a box that brings me 4x in retail value what I paid for (someone is still putting some profit in their pocket along the way) anything below 4x is a 'deal breaker' for my pocket book, because I'm not yet amongst the uber-wealthy.

I'll give you some profit, but my mathmatics are humble.  These are testers after all.  BB and BA's consistantly do that, even if it included products that I wasn't particularly keen on, I'd be able to trade it and because the box was 4x the value, theoratically that absorbs the cost of shipping and time spent.  So far SS has done pretty well on that front, with exception to this box.  Too many non-applicable testers and the overall value is not satisfactory.  If I'd was in a spa resort in the tropics and saw this in their store I'd pass on it.     

I think some people feel this way too instinctively without having to put it in so many words.  I'm not sure that I can even trade the tanning product.  

ZoomButt.gif

This is my first month with SS. I joined after seeing the last two months. I am extremely disappointed. There's not one thing in this box I'm looking forward to, and the value just isn't there. I can't believe this is a $15 sub.

Originally Posted by Maggiedoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I joined Sample Society in August, so this is the most disappointing box so far..  but the August and September boxes were really great.  Makeup is more fun to get, but I like most of the stuff in this box.

I find self-tanner useless, but there must be some people who like it, or it why would they keep making it?

The Erno Laszlo cream is small, but the $225 full-size version is only 50mL.  That puts the theoretical value of a 2mL sample at $9.  It seems to spread pretty well, too.  I have trouble spots around my chin and temples, and it only seems to take a tiny bit to cover those areas. 

The 5mL perfume sample seems like a decent size for a sample, it's definitely better than those tiny vials.  I prefer florals to the "clean" scents, but this one isn't bad. The 3.4 oz full-size is $100, so the 5mL sample would be about $5. 

The conditioner is $24 for a 250mL bottle, putting the 50mL sample at $4.80. 

Looks like the exfoliKate $85 full-size is only 2 oz, so the 7.5 mL sample would be about $10.80

That puts the box "value" at 29.60 without counting the mystery-sized tanner or the towelette (which looks like one of those little "bonus" samples, it's not even on the dashboard page.)  I can't imagine actually BUYING stuff at prices like that, but it feels so nice to open up a box of super-high-end goodies!  Full-size products in sample boxes make nice surprises, and I don't think I'd be into a box that never included any full-size items, but it's the variety of luxury products that really makes it for me.  I can't imagine that it would be a sustainable business model to do a really nice box that always included full-size stuff without a much higher subscription cost. 

It's not as good as the last two SS boxes I got, but I'm pretty happy with it.  I'll use everything besides the tanner. 
This, a million times this. Totally agree with you. Sample Society has higher-end samples that end up being more valuable than Birchbox samples. This, plus their amazing customer service, the coupons and the Allure subscription are why I'll stay a subscriber for life!

Originally Posted by jetsetjournalst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is my first month with SS. I joined after seeing the last two months. I am extremely disappointed. There's not one thing in this box I'm looking forward to, and the value just isn't there. I can't believe this is a $15 sub.
Yep. Same thing for March, April, May and June I think. Only the last 2 boxes were good. 

I do agree the value ratio as opposed to other subs is great with SS. They are consistent with featuring high end more luxe brands and products, with great CS. I recall getting a tube of eye cream or something that had nothing in it..maybe a little squirt and the CS was quick to resend me a sample to actually test and use the product. No fuss, no excuses, no sorry, we're out. Free magazine sub...what's not to like?

For a sub company that's been operating for six or seven months, the boxes may be a little meh, but the quality is spot on. I feel a little more decadent and spoiled when my SS box comes through and I know the ginormous price tags attached to the samples I'm using. Will I be buying said product at $150+ now...? No, but I'm in my late twenties and my regimen doesn't really require that at the moment and there's probably something more economical I can use. Does that mean I like it any less? No, lol, not at all. Getting items I end up not really caring for...well, I'm thankful I only had to spend a portion of my $15 to find out I didn't like the product, instead of wasting time and more money buying a full size. 

The perceived value of samples probably varies quite a bit by location.  I'm not TOTALLY in the middle of nowhere, but it's a mostly rural area that's been built up around a military base, and there aren't any malls within a reasonable distance, or much of anything in the way of high-end shopping. 

If I still lived in a nice metropolitan area with a half dozen malls within driving distance, the sample boxes probably wouldn't have quite as much appeal, but there's just not much availability around here.   In the absence of department stores with cosmetics counters to browse, sample boxes become a lot more appealing.  Even just window shopping would probably end up costing the price of most sample boxes in gas.  (And I like getting boxes, especially luxurious-feeling boxes!  I don't like driving.)

This is also my first box and I wasn't thrilled by it. I was more excited about the anticipation of the box rather than the actual box itself. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I understand some of the samples are very expensive if you buy the full size, but they're so small that I don't think you'll get an opinion if you like it or not. I'm sure next month will be better though.

The perceived value of samples probably varies quite a bit by location.  I'm not TOTALLY in the middle of nowhere, but it's a mostly rural area that's been built up around a military base, and there aren't any malls within a reasonable distance, or much of anything in the way of high-end shopping. 

If I still lived in a nice metropolitan area with a half dozen malls within driving distance, the sample boxes probably wouldn't have quite as much appeal, but there's just not much availability around here.   In the absence of department stores with cosmetics counters to browse, sample boxes become a lot more appealing.  Even just window shopping would probably end up costing the price of most sample boxes in gas.  (And I like getting boxes, especially luxurious-feeling boxes!  I don't like driving.)
I can totally see your perspective.  When I first started subbing 6 months ago I was recovering from neck surgery.  I wasn't able to do any sort of shopping save sitting straight in front of the computer and oogle at beauty websites.

Then the boxes came and I was in...
cloud9.gif
!!!!!

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

Am optimum & stationary now so I'm looking for work traveling to DC from NY (the buses are great $20 to $30 each way, cheaper then just the gas if one drives), I do this every month and there's always a Sehpora within several stones throw and that I make it into Manhattan a couple of times a week, so my appreciation for the boxes has changed as well.  

There was one point where I was up for an interpretation assignment for severeal months in Roswell and there was just nothing for miles and miles around the base and getting the boxes would have been like getting a two-level Godiva box hand-delivered by a hunk!  

I still dig the boxes, we are just having a little tiff this month 
bang.gif

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

I received my box today and I got the Oscar Blandi conditioner.  If anyone received the shampoo and would be willing to trade it, please PM me.  My trade thread is below, but hasn't been updated lately so I do have other items to offer.  

I received my box today and I got the Oscar Blandi conditioner.  If anyone received the shampoo and would be willing to trade it, please PM me.  My trade thread is below, but hasn't been updated lately so I do have other items to offer.  
Maybe I'll get lucky and receive the same. If not, you can have mine!

I live close-ish to plenty of malls, and I have to agree. Not being immersed in the city shopping scene gives a different perspective.

I got my box today, and yeah...definitely underwhelmed. But, it's the first time I've been disappointed in SS, so it's not a dealbreaker. Sample sizes are tiny, but I will try all but one product.

I wish we'd gotten the conditioner to match the shampoo...I hate when subs do that! But, it smells nice.

I'm really excited to try the Exfolikate.

The perfume smells nice, but not a scent I'd wear on my body...it'll be great to use as a room spray, though! Reminds me of clean laundry.

The Erno Lazlo is interesting...definitely too expensive for me so I hope I don't love it.

I will not use the tanner, but it's too tiny to bother trading, IMO...I'll find someone to pass it along to.

The towelette is whatever. I'll use it at work.
In all, not the best box for me. But I appreciate the high end brands.

This was my first box. I like how fast it came in (Oct 2nd!), but I'm kind of meh. I have so many hair products now... lol

"I was charged last nite $16.28. huh? all months prior it has been a flat $15. no big deal, but gheez I wish these subs would let us know BEFORE they make changes and start charging credit cards."

That happened to me this month too!  Every other month it's been $15 now its 16 and some change...  Does anyone know why this change?

Originally Posted by R8RJenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"I was charged last nite $16.28. huh? all months prior it has been a flat $15. no big deal, but gheez I wish these subs would let us know BEFORE they make changes and start charging credit cards."

That happened to me this month too!  Every other month it's been $15 now its 16 and some change...  Does anyone know why this change?
A few weeks/months back, Amazon started collecting what equates to a usage tax to get ahead of federal legislation that was going to enforce 'usage tax' collection on behalf of States. This was the lesser of tax amounts compared to Amazon and other e-tailers having to collect sale tax everywhere they sold, regardless of whether they had a physical store present in your State.  Some of the more 'play by the rules to be on the safe side' etailers, such as Amazon, and apparently BeautyBar.com (I would imaging all the VERY large companies) have started to collect tax corresponding to your State's usage tax amounts. The WSJ has a good article on the change:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444097904577536971916035192.html

Got my box yesterday. I'm not as disappointed and the majority it seems. I just love getting a little box of goodies to try. I'm in LOVE with the perfume! I will look into splurging on that unless someone knows a cheaper dupe. Seriously love it enough to purchase though.

Got my box yesterday. I'm not as disappointed and the majority it seems. I just love getting a little box of goodies to try. I'm in LOVE with the perfume! I will look into splurging on that unless someone knows a cheaper dupe. Seriously love it enough to purchase though.

A dupe? I dunno, maybe a dryer sheet?
wink.gif
 j/k I don't know what it is, but I like that fresh laundry scent too. I'm not overly thrilled with the out-of-season product, but I love the brand. A couple of things I will definitely use and if I don't like them, I've seen them on wishlists. This box is more like the spring boxes I got, as yanelib27 said. Not exactly thrilling, but not a complete washout. At least they didn't praise it like the last two boxes, which I guess was their way of lowering expectations. I never thought I'd get a chance to use a product from that super ritzy brand, teeny or not, so there's that.

I pretty much agree with all the posts here-very perceptive and informative. Thanks, ladies!

Originally Posted by cheetahchirps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A dupe? I dunno, maybe a dryer sheet?
wink.gif
 j/k I don't know what it is, but I like that fresh laundry scent too.
That's exactly what it smells like. Mine arrived leaking and so I got it all over my hand and it actually gave me a headache it was so strong. I'm not sure if anyone here has tried Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls, but the scents are very similar in my opinion. It would be nice as a room spray I think, but way too strong to wear. I'm getting a replacement and putting it on my trade thread along with the shampoo and tanning stuff if anyone is interested PM me. My thread's in my signature.

Just received my box. Not to happy. What the heck am I suppose to do with a self tanner when I am already dark LOL. O well SS has had pretty good boxes before so I will give them another month or so.

Latest posts

Back