Sample Society: October 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the Do Son, as well, and quite enjoyed it. I do agree that while Sample Society may be "boring" a lot of the time, it's been consistently good and occasionally great, which is why I don't mind that it is at the higher price point.
Yep, this exactly. Plus, I'm happy to get a free mag sub, too. My only reservation is falling in love with an outrageously expensive item, as they do feature some luxe products. I'm thinking I'm pretty safe, since I've never woken up looking like Charlize Theron after using a product lmao. This month might be a little meh, but I generally like the brands and that they are sending more makeup related products. We've received DL polish, mascara, lippie stuff, and smudge crayons in the last few months. Nice! Wonder if they'll do something special over the holidays...?

Originally Posted by Jennifer Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif

WHOA...that EL stuff is spendy!  Probably a teeny tube...and probably something I wouldn't purchase even if I love it.  

But FWEE!  I can't wait for my box!  
If I really, really loved it, I might splurge and purchase it, but I would have to really love it to spend that much, and with that tiny sample, I think it would be hard to tell. I wasnt impressed with the Siscley. It just seemed kind of ordinary, but with the small samples, its hard to know.   I'll spend on skin care once in a while, but I dont really spend a lot on cosmetics.  I buy the better brands, but I dont buy a lot of them. I own 3 eyeshadows (singles, not palettes) and I'm happy with that.  And I'm not really fussy when it comes to things like mascara, eyeliner and lip gloss.  I have about a years supply of each thanks to Birchbox and Sample Society, so I dont feel the need to spend on them. 

I have so many perfume samples now, and thats one thing I am fussy about, so I'm using them as room sprays now.  The ones that aren't sprays I put on a cotton ball in a small dish.  My house smells devine!

I think with all the different brands and offerings, it's not necessary to spend $150+ on one face cream or beauty item, unless it's AMAZEBALLS and totally transforming your life. There are exceptions, especially for tools like a flat iron or Clarisonic, whatever. But IMO, I generally wouldn't spend that much money on a cream or serum. It's just not sensible, especially like the Sisley we had; it wasn't amazing and I didn't care for the smell; too strong for something going on my face and reminiscent of an English garden or something. Now perfume? Definitely! Lol...absolutely and without a doubt, I'll drop money on some and not even bat an eye lash.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think with all the different brands and offerings, it's not necessary to spend $150+ on one face cream or beauty item, unless it's AMAZEBALLS and totally transforming your life. There are exceptions, especially for tools like a flat iron or Clarisonic, whatever. But IMO, I generally wouldn't spend that much money on a cream or serum. It's just not sensible, especially like the Sisley we had; it wasn't amazing and I didn't care for the smell; too strong for something going on my face and reminiscent of an English garden or something. Now perfume? Definitely! Lol...absolutely and without a doubt, I'll drop money on some and not even bat an eye lash.
I used to feel that way about skin care items until I turned 50.

Originally Posted by marybbryant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I really, really loved it, I might splurge and purchase it, but I would have to really love it to spend that much, and with that tiny sample, I think it would be hard to tell. I wasnt impressed with the Siscley. It just seemed kind of ordinary, but with the small samples, its hard to know.   I'll spend on skin care once in a while, but I dont really spend a lot on cosmetics.  I buy the better brands, but I dont buy a lot of them. I own 3 eyeshadows (singles, not palettes) and I'm happy with that.  And I'm not really fussy when it comes to things like mascara, eyeliner and lip gloss.  I have about a years supply of each thanks to Birchbox and Sample Society, so I dont feel the need to spend on them. 

I have so many perfume samples now, and thats one thing I am fussy about, so I'm using them as room sprays now.  The ones that aren't sprays I put on a cotton ball in a small dish.  My house smells devine!
I agree about buying better brands.  I have some make-up items that I will not budge on...sure I'll try a sample if I'm sent it, but I always, always go back to what I know I love.  (Been using the same brand foundation since college...and I'm 40! LOL!)  Lip gloss & lipstick, meh...whatever, they're almost all the same.  Eyeshadows, I prefer Urban Decay but I can be persuaded to buy more.  I have a lot of eyeshadow.  Mascara, I love the pink and green Maybelline...tried about a bazillion others and get freebies all the time, but when those are out, I buy another Maybelline.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

My thing is, I NEED to find some better stuff for my skin.  I'm 40, I'm getting wrinkles, I'm also currently unemployed so I can't slap down $245 for a cream even if I LOOOOOOVE it.  And I've used some pretty spectacular ones and maybe once I'm back to working (please let it be soon!) then I'll have more expendable income to buy some fancy creams and whatnots (though I might still balk at $245. haha!)

Oh, I so want a Clarisonic.  *swoon*   And I can deffo spend some major dollars on some perfumes.  I always fall in love with the most expensive.  I think it is a gift.  Like always falling in love with a $2500 bag when I have a K-mart bag budget.  LOL

I used to feel that way about skin care items until I turned 50.
Turned 40 this year.  Am feeling the strain.  I sympathise!  

But IMO, I generally wouldn't spend that much money on a cream or serum. It's just not sensible, especially like the Sisley we had; it wasn't amazing and I didn't care for the smell; too strong for something going on my face and reminiscent of an English garden or something.
I love that they send samples of the more expensive products- Stuff like the Sisley reassures me that I'm not missing out on anything phenomenal. Aside from the By Terry rose cream, I haven't been over the moon about any of the more expensive products- I've definitely liked most of them, but nothing wowed me.

Overall, kind of underwhelmed by this box- I don't hate it, I'll use the stuff, but I won't be manically be checking the mail for it, either ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea, am going to do the same right now!!  

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

I'm 49 will turn 50 next May.  I'm also under-employed, I do interpretations for the municiple government and at risk kids when the assignments pop-up, sorta a soldier of fortune.  I travel once or twice a month for job search, career fairs and networking.  

I too am looking for anti-age spot and anti-wrinkle stuff bu they are dear to the wallet... and if I were to drop $50 to $70 for a serum and another $60 to $80 for the cream, I want to make sure they are working for me.

I've been hitting nearly every Sephora in each city that I travel to, I bring foil packs as back-up and make a stop at the Sehpora when I get off the train, bus etc...  now I have a back-log of testers.  Am testing the Caudalie VinoPerfect serum and cream for this week, got Murad next, Dr Brandt, then Christian Dior, Ole Henricksen and Philosophy to round things off.  Maybe at the end of the 6 testing weeks I'd have a decent full time job and would have found a combination that is both effective and non-irritating.  I've read that the real potent brightening and anti-spot serums works great initially but then leaves your skin a little thin and crapey with prolonged use.  

I have gotten good trades of the BB trade on MUT or a search with the key word "GWP skincare + XX brand" on Ebay can yield some really sweet deals.  Just a little 411 for the 40+     ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />...

Was this the sub that looked like it had an Essie polish from the sneek peek?

Was this the sub that looked like it had an Essie polish from the sneek peek?
No lol, that was the BB thread for October. Check the first few pages. There are some screen shots from a BB video and it looks like the new Essie polishes!

I haven't tried even one of those products before so while I don't have the anticipation I did with the DL polish, these are items that I would not have purchased for myself because I haven't experienced them. I will reserve my judgement for after I try them. I am not a fan of tanning products but there are 4 other items that will be fun to try.

as of right now, i'm underwhelmed with this month's box, but we'll see how i feel once it finally arrives. supposedly, it will be delivered tomorrow.

((edited for poor grammar))

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't tried even one of those products before so while I don't have the anticipation I did with the DL polish, these are items that I would not have purchased for myself because I haven't experienced them. I will reserve my judgement for after I try them. I am not a fan of tanning products but there are 4 other items that will be fun to try.
Yep, there's nothing I"m really excited about, but the tanner is the only thing I won't try. I love getting skincare items because I literally never have to buy them anymore thanks to my subs, lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, there's nothing I"m really excited about, but the tanner is the only thing I won't try. I love getting skincare items because I literally never have to buy them anymore thanks to my subs, lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I feel the same way almost lol..I have a personal cleanser or two I love using and will restock, to have handy to return to..but the plethora of stuff we get is awesome and helpful to my pocketbook 
wink.gif

I got my box...so underwhelmed.

I can't use half of it either.I can't use the Lavender Toilette since I am allergic to lavender. The tanning stuff will make my skin burn. The sizes are so small too

Ugh, of course the month that I sign up it turns out to be a lackluster box. ): Hopefully next month is better!

Originally Posted by zombielovrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my box...so underwhelmed.

I can't use half of it either.I can't use the Lavender Toilette since I am allergic to lavender. The tanning stuff will make my skin burn. The sizes are so small too

Wow those do look tiny! I can't believe this is a $15 sub.

Since self tanner is such a love/hate product,  I wish these boxes would stop sending so much of it!  I personally hate it,  most are streaky messes you have to scrub for days to get rid of.  I thought by October the coast would be clear!

I love SS and one eh box isn't going to change my opinion, but this is probably my least favorite of all of my SS boxes so far. Still think it's one of the better beauty subs out there. I loved EVERYTHING from last month.

Latest posts

Back