Skincare Helpppp!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too no flakes here!! ....and dare I say my face is now...supple? We should have taken before and after photos!
Dang it! That's something I do with my clients, too! I should've asked y'all to take some! The difference truly is amazing...!

Tiffany - thanks so much for the advice...I was going to take them to the doctor to get a referral for a dermatologist...but do you think Im better off taking them to esthetician? I have a great one but she is super hard to get a booking with - but if I book her now I might get something for the end of January... How I wish I wasn't 1000s of miles away - I'd so bring them to see you!
I have to be completely honest here.. I am NOT a fan of dermatologists :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My degree is in Paramedical Esthetics, so I've worked with both derms and Plastics, (and I mean absolutely no offense to anyone who knows/is/wants to be either of those professions, but my experience over the last decade is that dermatologists are "paper pushers"...meaning you'll leave your office visit with paper prescriptions for usually 3-6 different types of medicated creams/oils/lotions/potions..don't get me wrong-in some instances prescription strength dermal additives are necessary depending on the skin issue your trying to address, but in normal, regulated doses. On it's best day, (properly cleansed, exfoliated, hydrated, etc.) your skin is only going to absorb about 65% of what you slather on it, anyway, (and we could get much more technical here in terms of the component 's chemical composition and molecular structure- this plays a HUGE role in absorption), so one has to exercise extreme caution when making these decisions :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I wish you lived closer, too! I had a young male client yesterday stop by my office to tell me how excited is because now that his acne is improving, he's starting to feel so much more confident about life in general. I absolutely LOVE watching those transformations :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This is better advice that I've ever received & I've read Cosmo, Allure, & every other beauty magazine for like 20 years... Lol! Tiffany where have you been all my life...Im now on the road to having drop dead gorgeous skin..Thanks so much for all your helpful advice. Changes I've Made: Washing face 3 x and not squeezing the black heads on my nose every night (this is truly an obsession of mine & Im stopping, promise! )
I'm so glad your finding it helpful! And , trust me, I KNOW how difficult it can be to resist the temptation of "picking" at your face, but once you give your skin time to adjust and accept being cleansed properly and effectively, I PROMISE you'll notice a dramatic difference in the amount of recurring blackheads! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@Tiffany27la, I have a question about Clarisonics. How often do you suggest using them? I purchased one a couple months ago and I don't feel as if it is improving my skin, I am afraid I am using it too often or too little. Any insight would be awesome!

Hi Tiffany,

I'm brand new the the site and this forum. So glad to have found it. What's your take on moisturizing other sensitive parts of the body besides the face such as the neck and hands? I spend a lot of energy on maintaining my face. (I really like your recommendation on washing 3x/day. I must try it!) But sometimes, I feel like I'm neglecting other important parts of my body that are noticeable with age. Do you recommend using the same moisturize that I use for my face on my neck? What about my hands? Thanks!

It's official, I'm going to scavenge up some money to come to New Orleans to eat your food and have my face looked at. I wish I could come now! Lol
I'm coming too!

@Tiffany27la This seem so counterintuitive and yet not!

Would cold cream, followed by toner to get what the cold cream missed, followed by washing face with cetaphil-like stuff count as three times? Or does toner not count? I stumbled upon this routine by chance a couple of months back and have seen an improvement in my skin. 

Oh my goodness, I am loving this thread so far. 

Here's my issue: I have pretty normal-to-dry skin (dry on the cheeks), and I don't get breakouts a lot. However, I've noticed in the last few days that the pores around my nose (on the edges of my cheeks, not actually on my nose) are starting to appear larger. My mom has naturally very large pores (different than clogged, I think) and I think they're finally starting to appear on me. Is there any way to help these pores shrink up? I know there are a lot of pore minimizing products out there, should I be trying one? Also, I don't use a toner right now. I know, I know, I probably should, but I just haven't made the effort to invest in one. Currently just a religious cleansing/masque routine and serums/moisturizers. Would a toner be the solution to this issue? Heeeeeelp. I know that genetics play a certain role in my pore size and they won't be fixed overnight, but I'm wondering what I can do to minimize the effects for as long as possible! 

After the 3x washing at night before serums/moisturizers/creams, should you be washing your face again before applying makeup for the day? (Apologies if this is the stupidest question ever.)

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can't even lie. As I wash washing my face for the THIRD time tonight, all I could think was "boom!! @tiffany27la would be so proud of me!!"

I am SO proud of you!!!!
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Washed my face 3x last night and my skin looked better today! I think my moisturizer actually got to my skin, makes total sense
smile.gif

Yesss! Give it a week, and the difference will be ASTOUNDING! So glad I could help!
smile.gif
I've been doing the 3x face washing  too and the hubby said he noticed a difference!

Quote: Originally Posted by KellyKaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by ewiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right? Why haven't we done this already? Skincare party at @Tiffany27la
's, I'll bring my skin and some wine!

I will bring baked goods and vodka!  Late to the party, I will bring German chocolates & beer!

Quote: Originally Posted by lala512 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hi Tiffany,

I'm brand new the the site and this forum. So glad to have found it. What's your take on moisturizing other sensitive parts of the body besides the face such as the neck and hands? I spend a lot of energy on maintaining my face. (I really like your recommendation on washing 3x/day. I must try it!) But sometimes, I feel like I'm neglecting other important parts of my body that are noticeable with age. Do you recommend using the same moisturize that I use for my face on my neck? What about my hands? Thanks!
Welcome!

I've been washing my face three times at night and have already noticed a difference. My face is softer and has a nice glow to it except for the 2 massive pimples I have because of my period.

@Tiffany27la , I have a question about Clarisonics. How often do you suggest using them? I purchased one a couple months ago and I don't feel as if it is improving my skin, I am afraid I am using it too often or too little. Any insight would be awesome!
Hi, love! Hmmm...the good 'ole Clarisonic! Do I use it?..No. Do I use the professional grade equivalent on my clients?..No...and the reason for that is *most* of the people coming to see me for skin care treatments don't have *perfect* skin.. They have skin issues.. like acne. which is a bacteria...and, from a medical standpoint, since acne *Is* a form of bacteria, why would I want to aggravate and spread that bacteria to other parts of their faces, potentially causing them even more breakouts in the very near future because I've now spread bacteria across their face that were, at best, left to sit and run their course in their original isolated condition. This is what Clarisonics and manual brush heads do..they aggravate an open acneic lesion on the skin, and then move that festered bacteria back and forth in circular movements across the rest of you face .. This is NOT cleaning your skin- it's spreading acneic lesion across your entire face. Again , the degree of your breakout at the time of using the brushing machine will determine how much bacteria was moved to a lesser or greater degree, but unless your face is in pristine, smooth condition, or you have very little to NO acne, the Clarisonic is just not your best option ;(

Hi Tiffany, I'm brand new the the site and this forum. So glad to have found it. What's your take on moisturizing other sensitive parts of the body besides the face such as the neck and hands? I spend a lot of energy on maintaining my face. (I really like your recommendation on washing 3x/day. I must try it!) But sometimes, I feel like I'm neglecting other important parts of my body that are noticeable with age. Do you recommend using the same moisturize that I use for my face on my neck? What about my hands? Thanks!
Hi, and welcome to MUT! First of all, I cannot express enough the importance of proper hydration! Not only on the outside, but inside the of body, as well! Every time you take a shower/bath (and hopefully you've exfoliated all the dead skin off in your shower-I have some tips about how to most effectively do that, too! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ...you want to apply your lotion/cream/body butter BEFORE you even get out of the shower..lightly towel dry, but definitely make sure the skin is still damp and warm before applying product, as this allows for much easier application of your heavier butters and creams, and also increases the dermal absorption rate dramatically ..it's fine (and actually preferred to have bits of water still left on the skin as they will act as a binding agent between the lotion and your skin. Once your all lotioned up, towel dry completely making sure any excess lotion has been absorbed into the skin. Do this everyday for a week, and let me know how your skin feels! One word-AWESOME! Hope this helped! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi, and welcome to MUT! First of all, I cannot express enough the importance of proper hydration! Not only on the outside, but inside the of body, as well! Every time you take a shower/bath (and hopefully you've exfoliated all the dead skin off in your shower-I have some tips about how to most effectively do that, too! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ...you want to apply your lotion/cream/body butter BEFORE you even get out of the shower..lightly towel dry, but definitely make sure the skin is still damp and warm before applying product, as this allows for much easier application of your heavier butters and creams, and also increases the dermal absorption rate dramatically ..it's fine (and actually preferred to have bits of water still left on the skin as they will act as a binding agent between the lotion and your skin. Once your all lotioned up, towel dry completely making sure any excess lotion has been absorbed into the skin. Do this everyday for a week, and let me know how your skin feels! One word-AWESOME! Hope this helped! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Really great info! I always wonder if I'm putting on butters correctly and it sounds like I wait too long after shower. Since I have dry skin in winter I'll definitely give this a shot!

Hi, love! Hmmm...the good 'ole Clarisonic! Do I use it?..No.

Do I use the professional grade equivalent on my clients?..No...and the reason for that is *most* of the people coming to see me for skin care treatments don't have *perfect* skin.. They have skin issues.. like acne. which is a bacteria...and, from a medical standpoint, since acne *Is* a form of bacteria, why would I want to aggravate and spread that bacteria to other parts of their faces, potentially causing them even more breakouts in the very near future because I've now spread bacteria across their face that were, at best, left to sit and run their course in their original isolated condition. This is what Clarisonics and manual brush heads do..they aggravate an open acneic lesion on the skin, and then move that festered bacteria back and forth in circular movements across the rest of you face .. This is NOT cleaning your skin- it's spreading acneic lesion across your entire face. Again , the degree of your breakout at the time of using the brushing machine will determine how much bacteria was moved to a lesser or greater degree, but unless your face is in pristine, smooth condition, or you have very little to NO acne, the Clarisonic is just not your best option ;(
Thank you so much for this information. Hopefully, with your guidance, my skin will clear up soon. If not, I might just sell my Clarisonic.

I will say that I have made a conscious effort to not pick at my skin and I have been washing my face 3 times at night. I definitely feel like repeat washing is helping already, my skin on my cheeks is absolutely glowing. Now, if only my chin would take a lesson from my cheeks.
fight.gif
GET IT TOGETHER, CHIN!!!!!!

Hi, love! Hmmm...the good 'ole Clarisonic! Do I use it?..No. Do I use the professional grade equivalent on my clients?..No...and the reason for that is *most* of the people coming to see me for skin care treatments don't have *perfect* skin.. They have skin issues.. like acne. which is a bacteria...and, from a medical standpoint, since acne *Is* a form of bacteria, why would I want to aggravate and spread that bacteria to other parts of their faces, potentially causing them even more breakouts in the very near future because I've now spread bacteria across their face that were, at best, left to sit and run their course in their original isolated condition. This is what Clarisonics and manual brush heads do..they aggravate an open acneic lesion on the skin, and then move that festered bacteria back and forth in circular movements across the rest of you face .. This is NOT cleaning your skin- it's spreading acneic lesion across your entire face. Again , the degree of your breakout at the time of using the brushing machine will determine how much bacteria was moved to a lesser or greater degree, but unless your face is in pristine, smooth condition, or you have very little to NO acne, the Clarisonic is just not your best option ;(
Mind. Blown. I can't believe I've been doing so many things wrong all this time! I've always scrubbed the bejezus out of my breakouts cuz I thought it would the dirt/oil out faster. Here I was making it worse, gah! I bet you hear this all the time, but I wish I 'met' you a long time ago!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi, love! Hmmm...the good 'ole Clarisonic! Do I use it?..No.

Do I use the professional grade equivalent on my clients?..No...and the reason for that is *most* of the people coming to see me for skin care treatments don't have *perfect* skin.. They have skin issues.. like acne. which is a bacteria...and, from a medical standpoint, since acne *Is* a form of bacteria, why would I want to aggravate and spread that bacteria to other parts of their faces, potentially causing them even more breakouts in the very near future because I've now spread bacteria across their face that were, at best, left to sit and run their course in their original isolated condition. This is what Clarisonics and manual brush heads do..they aggravate an open acneic lesion on the skin, and then move that festered bacteria back and forth in circular movements across the rest of you face .. This is NOT cleaning your skin- it's spreading acneic lesion across your entire face. Again , the degree of your breakout at the time of using the brushing machine will determine how much bacteria was moved to a lesser or greater degree, but unless your face is in pristine, smooth condition, or you have very little to NO acne, the Clarisonic is just not your best option ;(
This explains why every time I use the clarisonic my face turns red and seems to breakout.  I always hear how people's lives have changed because of it but it only makes my skin freak out.  I've often wondered if I was using it incorrectly or needed to keep using it even though I was red to see if my "skin got used to it" like a salesperson told me.  I won't feel guilty any more that my clarisonic is just sitting unused!  

Quote:Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, and welcome to MUT!

First of all, I cannot express enough the importance of proper hydration! Not only on the outside, but inside the of body, as well! Every time you take a shower/bath (and hopefully you've exfoliated all the dead skin off in your shower-I have some tips about how to most effectively do that, too!
smile.gif
...you want to apply your lotion/cream/body butter BEFORE you even get out of the shower..lightly towel dry, but definitely make sure the skin is still damp and warm before applying product, as this allows for much easier application of your heavier butters and creams, and also increases the dermal absorption rate dramatically ..it's fine (and actually preferred to have bits of water still left on the skin as they will act as a binding agent between the lotion and your skin. Once your all lotioned up, towel dry completely making sure any excess lotion has been absorbed into the skin. Do this everyday for a week, and let me know how your skin feels! One word-AWESOME! Hope this helped!
wink.gif

Oh, wow. I've really been suckin' it up... I feel like I've been doing everything wrong... haha! Since my "wash 3x" per Tiffany27la's instructions, my face has been glowing... so smooth... and my few "mother nature enduced" bumps are gone-zo! I feel like my life is changing.... now, to add this new tidbit of information to my "post shower routine". Seriously @Tiffany27la, Where have you been ALL MY LIFE!???!!!

Back