Skincare Helpppp!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, @Tiffany27la I love you because you just talked me out of buying a $125 Clarisonic, I NEVER thought about it like that!  

But now I have over 600 points and and an upcoming 25% off coupon code, and I don't know what to buy now!  Dang it!

OK, @Tiffany27la  I love you because you just talked me out of buying a $125 Clarisonic, I NEVER thought about it like that!  
Seconded! I had been thinking that a Clarisonic would be a good idea, but I'm more than happy to spend my money on other stuff (like facial cleaners, since I'm trying to wash 3x now)! Thanks for all of the awesome advice so far, [@]Tiffany27la[/@]!

Quote: Originally Posted by ewiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @Tiffany27la, you're the best!  

BLACKHEADS, what do I do about them?  I have what seems like chronic blackheads on the sides of my nose. Pore strips don't help, neither do any of the blackhead-targeted cleansers I've tried. I'm clearly doing something wrong. 

Also, is there a correct way to apply moisturizer? I only started moisturizing this year (yikes, sorry skin), and I sort of just smear that shit everywhere, but I'm sure you have a fancy pretty princess way of doing it that would be much better. Right??

Wahhhh, don't forget me @Tiffany27la!!!

I'm going to have to try this wash 3x thing now. [@]Tiffany27la[/@] What are your opinions on exfoliating, exfoliating methods, and frequency?

Wahhhh, don't forget me @Tiffany27la !!!
Hey, girl! I'm sorry! Ok..blackheads basically occur when bits of skin debris have become lodged with excess oil in the pores, and if allowed to sit long enough they lose their oxygen supply and become oxidized (or, whiteheads lol) What I would suggest is first trying to get your sebaceous glands under control..(their responsible for your oil production, or sebum in skin care lingo.) Because if the excess oil isn't there to begin with, it will be very difficult for the congestion to "stick" inside the pore. Also-Exfoliate on a regular basis! Try an exfoliant that has an abrasive paste type consistency...(Arcona's Cranberry Gommage comes to mind..I have literally tried HUNDREDS of exfolianta over the years in this business, but their's takes my HG status) Hope this helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hey, girl! I'm sorry! Ok..blackheads basically occur when bits of skin debris have become lodged with excess oil in the pores, and if allowed to sit long enough they lose their oxygen supply and become oxidized (or, whiteheads lol) What I would suggest is first trying to get your sebaceous glands under control..(their responsible for your oil production, or sebum in skin care lingo.) Because if the excess oil isn't there to begin with, it will be very difficult for the congestion to "stick" inside the pore. Also-Exfoliate on a regular basis! Try an exfoliant that has an abrasive paste type consistency...(Arcona's Cranberry Gommage comes to mind..I have literally tried HUNDREDS of exfolianta over the years in this business, but their's takes my HG status) Hope this helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hi, Tiffany! Followup question... How do you go about getting your sebaceous glands under control? Thank you!!

I'm going to have to try this wash 3x thing now. [@]Tiffany27la[/@] What are your opinions on exfoliating, exfoliating methods, and frequency?
Hi, Bella! Wow... exfoliation in general is such a vast concept to cover in skincare because skin types vary so widely. It really comes down to finding a routine that works for you *specifically*, and this definitely takes a LOT of trial and error :/ Generally speaking, for normal/NON acneic skin types, 3-4 times a week should suffice, but, as I said, this can vary largely depending in the individual :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hope this helps!

Hi, Tiffany! Followup question... How do you go about getting your sebaceous glands under control? Thank you!!
Hi, Moore! Sebaceous glands are over active for several reasons..it could be that you inherited the over-activity genetically, or as a result of a lackluster diet (No judgement!), and gender also plays an important role..(Men have it far worse than we do where excess oil production is concerned).. I've noticed a huge difference in my clients who I asked to up their intake if Vitamin A & B..both help regulate sebum production to more normal levels. Depending on your skin care routine, it could also be that the cleanser your using is too harsh and essentially stripping your skin of all it's natural oils...when this happens, the sebaceous glands start working over time to produce *excess* oil to make up for what's been stripped away. More often than not, I find this is the common culprit. If you like cleansing with a foam face wash, follow it up on the third cleansing with a cream based one..this will help to restore the moisture levels in the skin. Hope this helps ! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OK, @Tiffany27la  I love you because you just talked me out of buying a $125 Clarisonic, I NEVER thought about it like that!   But now I have over 600 points and and an upcoming 25% off coupon code, and I don't know what to buy now!  Dang it!
Anytime, Leigh! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> A LOT of people don't realize that acne *is* a bacteria, and should be treated as such. When we have a bacterial infection, the last thing we want to do is spread it around, because then it just becomes worse! The same goes for acne lesions :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, love! Hmmm...the good 'ole Clarisonic! Do I use it?..No.

Do I use the professional grade equivalent on my clients?..No...and the reason for that is *most* of the people coming to see me for skin care treatments don't have *perfect* skin.. They have skin issues.. like acne. which is a bacteria...and, from a medical standpoint, since acne *Is* a form of bacteria, why would I want to aggravate and spread that bacteria to other parts of their faces, potentially causing them even more breakouts in the very near future because I've now spread bacteria across their face that were, at best, left to sit and run their course in their original isolated condition. This is what Clarisonics and manual brush heads do..they aggravate an open acneic lesion on the skin, and then move that festered bacteria back and forth in circular movements across the rest of you face .. This is NOT cleaning your skin- it's spreading acneic lesion across your entire face. Again , the degree of your breakout at the time of using the brushing machine will determine how much bacteria was moved to a lesser or greater degree, but unless your face is in pristine, smooth condition, or you have very little to NO acne, the Clarisonic is just not your best option ;(
Are we doing the same thing (aggravating bacteria and then spreading it around) anytime we wash our face then, even just with our fingers? And what about when we use exfoliants?

Thanks for this thread! I would love to hear about the differences between physical and chemical exfoliants and which are best for various skin types/conditions.

[@]Tiffany27la[/@] You can even teach an old[er] MUTer new tricks! At 47, acne is generally not an issue for me, so I didn't really think adding a third wash would matter. But I thought i'd try it and have. been washing 3 times faithfully at night for the past week or so. I cannot get over the improvement in evenness in skin tone and texture! I have so many cleansers and honestly, it doesn't seem to matter which ones I use, as long as I wash 3 times. Thanks so much for this tip!

@Tiffany27la New question for you!

Ever since I decided not to get the Clarisonic, I've been trying to figure out what to get with all these Birchbox points!  So I've decided to invest in a really good moisturizer.  Only problem is... which one?

I have combo skin.  Extra oily on the ol' forehead.  I'd prefer to not use anything anti-aging, and as natural as possible.  I know that without actually seeing my skin, it's hard to recommend anything, but I thought I'd ask!

Thank you, skin guru!

[@]magicalmom[/@] you can always buy yourself a gift card with your points until you figure if out in case those points are expiring soon!

@usofjessamerica I have til the summer, but I have my 13 month code coming up and I plan on doing a lot of damage with it, lol.  I'm going to be on a low-buy pretty much all next year, so I figure staring off with a "free" shopping spree will help me stock up before I stop buying altogether for awhile!   

Ooohh girl I'm right there with you. I'm sitting on 600 right now!

@usofjessamerica  I have til the summer, but I have my 13 month code coming up and I plan on doing a lot of damage with it, lol.  I'm going to be on a low-buy pretty much all next year, so I figure staring off with a "free" shopping spree will help me stock up before I stop buying altogether for awhile!   

I know I'm way behind but[@]Tiffany27la[/@] omg the three wash thing is genius! My face has never felt so nice and clean! I'm only on day two but I love it! Thanks for all your great advice!

Hi Tiffany. So glad I found this thread and looking forward to your reply. What is your take on toners and face masks and his often should they be used? And my most important question- what are your thoughts of the Obagi line?

Going to start giving this 3x wash a try - worth a shot! I have been doing kind of twice: remove makeup then wash, sometimes follow up with another wash. 

Back