Somebody Stop Me!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yess.gif
this is great news!!!

Originally Posted by Sarah Afshar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

musingmuse, did you know that coffee is actually good for your skin? It increases circulation and basically wakes your skin up. Really interesting.

It is obvious that she is not spending millions but its in her words that she is lying to her husband about how much she is spending and that is the problem that Sato is concerned about. Its not a contest about which addiction is worst.  Hoarding is also an addiction where people can't stop themselves from purchasing things regardless of whether they need it or not. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah Afshar 
Drugs are by far worse. An addiction to something that is scientifically safe and doesn't affect others doesn't have the distresses, let alone the emotional impact that drugs does. Plus, as an observer seeing people who are on drugs or have managed to become manifested with substances that garner addiction, as opposed to seeing women become addicted to makeup, there is a huge difference. This woman isn't spending hundreds on makeup all of the time. It would be different, but even if she spent millions on makeup, it would not even touch the sinister and iniquity that drugs, let alone a drug addiction exhibits.

Ok so now i dont feel bad anymore.. I also have a coffee addiction... My fiance is currently in spain where its nice and warm and i am stuck in the cold in sa.. He says i use the cup to warm up my hands.. But i do love my coffee.. I have also walked away from a shoe sale and make up sale yesterday... YAY me...

i drink coffee no matter how hot it is outside. when i was in mexico the waiters looked at me funny when i would order coffee at lunch time in the heat.. lol.

Originally Posted by foxymom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok so now i dont feel bad anymore.. I also have a coffee addiction... My fiance is currently in spain where its nice and warm and i am stuck in the cold in sa.. He says i use the cup to warm up my hands.. But i do love my coffee.. I have also walked away from a shoe sale and make up sale yesterday... YAY me...

It been proven that if you want to cool off, you drink something hot.  It encourage the body to keep up its self cooling rather than fool it into thinking it has cooled by drinking cold drinks.

Well, when a person - namely ME - is lying habitually about every little thing they bring in the house, or hiding the stuff, or going to great lengths to conceal what they have bought, I have to disagree. It IS destructive. Lying to your husband can't be anything BUT destructive, IMO. If he lied like this to me about every little thing he bought and I later found out about it, I would feel really hurt, to be quite honest. I don't do drugs or even drink a drop of alcohol. Not because I have an addiction, but because it doesn't interest me at all. I also do not like being around other people when they are stupidly drunk, which comes from growing up with a family full of pathetic booze-hounds. I have no patience with drunks and all their sloppiness and stupidity.

Add another lie to the mountainous heap. I bought a $51 Smashbox Softbox Eye Palette limited edition 2 nights ago. My rationale? The drug store was having a major points bonus which expired that night. Spend $75 and get 18, 500 points. You would normally only get 7500. That brought my points total up to the degree which I now have $60 worth of freebies with them, which can be spent on anything. To cover up my bald-faced lie, I bought a bunch of stuff for my husband as well, and brought it all home. And immediately hid the eye shadow palette in the bedroom. LIAR!

The really pathetic thing?? I don't even LIKE Smashbox! But as I was passing the display, I LIED to myself in my demented little head and said 'It doesn't hurt JUST to swatch the tester'. What a bullsh*tter I am :) The even stupider thing is, as soon as I swatched them, I fell in LOVE. They are far higher quality than anything else I have ever tried from Smashbox, super soft, super pigmented - very much like Stila Kitten is. There are 9 full-sized shadows plus 2 cream liners plus a mini Photo Finish Lid Primer in a beautiful heavy-duty magnetic closure box ala Too Faced or Benefit, with a mirror and dual-ended brush. Even the BRUSH is really nice! And they had only ONE left! And it was LIMITED EDITION! And bullsh*t bullsh*t bullsh*t.

Look for it under the classifieds in a couple of days, perhaps. If I can bring myself to NOT use it and NOT keep it. So far, I have left it sitting, untouched whatsoever in its little giftbox, thinking I may very well sell it. Will have to take photos of it on the sly when my husband is out, and upload them. He usually takes all my product photos for me as he got to be a very good photographer when he was still working as a journalist, but I'll do it myself this time. Maybe I'll have to start buying stuff I see on special in PILES and then reselling them to make some cash on the side. Like the Stila palette I got for $18. I could mark that up to make some money. THAT I could at least justify with all honesty to myself and my husband and not lie about, and maybe satisfy my makeup buying addiction THAT way.

Yikes!!! So what would happen if your husband finds out.

You seem to be really into helping the homeless, why not use that energy, and volunteer? That way you will keep your mind occupied with something else.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, when a person - namely ME - is lying habitually about every little thing they bring in the house, or hiding the stuff, or going to great lengths to conceal what they have bought, I have to disagree. It IS destructive. Lying to your husband can't be anything BUT destructive, IMO. If he lied like this to me about every little thing he bought and I later found out about it, I would feel really hurt, to be quite honest. I don't do drugs or even drink a drop of alcohol. Not because I have an addiction, but because it doesn't interest me at all. I also do not like being around other people when they are stupidly drunk, which comes from growing up with a family full of pathetic booze-hounds. I have no patience with drunks and all their sloppiness and stupidity.

Add another lie to the mountainous heap. I bought a $51 Smashbox Softbox Eye Palette limited edition 2 nights ago. My rationale? The drug store was having a major points bonus which expired that night. Spend $75 and get 18, 500 points. You would normally only get 7500. That brought my points total up to the degree which I now have $60 worth of freebies with them, which can be spent on anything. To cover up my bald-faced lie, I bought a bunch of stuff for my husband as well, and brought it all home. And immediately hid the eye shadow palette in the bedroom. LIAR!

The really pathetic thing?? I don't even LIKE Smashbox! But as I was passing the display, I LIED to myself in my demented little head and said 'It doesn't hurt JUST to swatch the tester'. What a bullsh*tter I am :) The even stupider thing is, as soon as I swatched them, I fell in LOVE. They are far higher quality than anything else I have ever tried from Smashbox, super soft, super pigmented - very much like Stila Kitten is. There are 9 full-sized shadows plus 2 cream liners plus a mini Photo Finish Lid Primer in a beautiful heavy-duty magnetic closure box ala Too Faced or Benefit, with a mirror and dual-ended brush. Even the BRUSH is really nice! And they had only ONE left! And it was LIMITED EDITION! And bullsh*t bullsh*t bullsh*t.

Look for it under the classifieds in a couple of days, perhaps. If I can bring myself to NOT use it and NOT keep it. So far, I have left it sitting, untouched whatsoever in its little giftbox, thinking I may very well sell it. Will have to take photos of it on the sly when my husband is out, and upload them. He usually takes all my product photos for me as he got to be a very good photographer when he was still working as a journalist, but I'll do it myself this time. Maybe I'll have to start buying stuff I see on special in PILES and then reselling them to make some cash on the side. Like the Stila palette I got for $18. I could mark that up to make some money. THAT I could at least justify with all honesty to myself and my husband and not lie about, and maybe satisfy my makeup buying addiction THAT way.

The women at Women's shelters are always accepting donations for toiletries and makeup.  I package my excess every Christmas and donate my unwanted makeup to them...

All this self-deprecation and you've still not been able to confess to your husband...you may not spend $400 on a bag or shoes but you are quickly amassing a lot of make up costing enough to feed a family in an impoverish nation.  Maybe you should seek counselling as it's not healthy.  

Quote: Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nothing would happen if my husband found out, and that is the god's honest truth. Like I said, he is extremely patient and understanding and is very slow to get pissed at me. But I can't imagine that he would feel good about finding out I've been lying to him. Neither would I if I was in his position. But, he would understand. That I know for sure.

As far as volunteering goes, I have done a fair amount in the past, and have just started again. My husband and I started a dog rescue organization while we were still in his country and kept that going for quite a few years on our own. Then we branched out to monkeys, lemurs, kittens, etc LOL We then started volunteering doing translation work for the Borneo Orangutan Sanctuary. I also do volunteer work taking people with HIV to their doctors appointments now, and volunteered for a street kids organization years before I ever met my husband, along with an aboriginal kids organization and battered women's group, but I am not full time at the HIV volunteering at the moment. I just got out of a wheelchair about 3 months ago after being confined to one of those contraptions for about a year and a half after a bit of medical malpractice here in Canada. Until I was out of the chair, I was usually in far too much pain to do much other than go to my doctors appointments, take my pain killers, and sleep like a dead body in between. I am now undergoing physio to get my formerly paralyzed leg back to normal. Nearly there :) While I was paralyzed - in 2009 til 3 months ago - and waiting for my husband's visa to be approved to come to Canada, an entire 10 months or so, I was here alone for the first time since we had first met 7 years ago, and that's when I first started online shopping. Before that, I had never even thought to buy anything online. At that point, it was only for necessities. I was unable to go to the drug store for anything not even tylenol, didn't even have a wheelchair at that point, and could not even go and do basic grocery shopping. I also have/had no family at all to help me and never have. As a result, I had to figure out how to do things on my own, for myself, regardless of my physical condition. So pharmacy, hair care, skin care purchases I made online at well.ca or through the shopping channel. A local organization did my grocery shopping for me and delivered it, I had a woman come in and cook/clean for me/help me take a bath as I was totally unable to do any of that, and another to take me to my appointments. Even the lab came to me doing house-calls, arranged by my doctor, to regularly take blood tests, check to make sure my physical condition wasn't bottoming out. I was completely housebound and dependent on other people for the first time in my life, whereas I had been completely independent before that. After my husband got his visa and was able to move here and look after me himself, that's when the purchases started getting out of control, in my mind. And in my mind it is 'out of control' because I feel I have to lie about it, which is irrational because my husband would not flip out. Now that I write it all out, I can see where, when and how it started. When I was here by myself, depressed and deathly ill, with no family around whatsoever, it was the only form of 'recreation' or 'activity' I had.  Before he came, I got used to having that mailbox delivery as my pathetic thrill of the week/month as I was completely ALONE before he arrived, unless a volunteer took me to the doctor or some other vounteer dropped in for a quick hour or so. That WAS the only thing I truly had to do at that point. Internet and online shopping, other than my online job which I nearly lost from being ill for an extended period of time. Before that time, I had NEVER shopped for anything online or through shopping networks. Never in my life. I didn't even care much about cosmetics as it was always too hot living in Indonesia to be wearing a full face of makeup all the time, and have always viewed buying designer bags and shoes as pointless and meaningless fluff, the money better spent on feeding hungry kids or something else of the sort. I had some stuff from MAC from many many years ago, but that was about it. Suddenly, as my health started improving and I started feeling better about myself, I DID start caring about having some decent makeup and looking better. I was sick for so long and had nearly dropped dead 3 times and looked god-awful terrible. So I was determined to pull myself out of that, to look and feel better. And with a great deal of effort on my part and my husband's help, I have. However, the shopping has got to now take a back seat to what is important. It served its purpose and it is now time to move on and up.

He wouldn't be thrilled simply because I've been lying, but he also would not have a fit about it. He would do what he always do: forgive me on the spot and move on. Mostly because he knows I'm not a bad person under that bs-ing and knows that under typical circumstances, I wouldn't do it. I end up feeling worse in the end than he does about anything, just from my own guilt.

Our plan once I am able to be 100% physically mobile again is to move back to Indonesia and start our own natural healing clinic for people who are far too poor to afford even backwoods 'doctors' with only a primary school education. Hopefully that will happen by the end of the year, or shortly before. My husband also does energy healing, and has a very close uncle who is a Buddhist leader there who also does the same thing and whom he is still in contact with. My husband is actually the one who fixed my leg - 'unparalyzed' it so to speak - when doctors couldn't, and neurologists said there was not much hope of me ever walking again, so we will include that along with local traditional herbs - that's my thing - as an option for people. He is also going to get certified in acupuncture once we move back there as they certify students/practitioners in Indonesia through the University of Bejing, and add that to the methods of healing we will be providing. I will also continue what i did with the street kids there before I met my husband. Feeding them and trying to get them into school, hopefully, so they'll have a better future than the life they were born into. We can easily afford to pay for at least 3 or 4 kids school expenses until they graduate, if we make that stuff a priority. We have before, so it shouldn't be a problem. This past couple of years has just been a detour for us, unfortunately, from what we started doing over there before I got really sick. Time to get back on track and to do something that makes a difference. In the mean time, while we are still here, I will enjoy my makeup without any more guilt or lying, because I ain't gonna have this easy access to it over there.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions everybody. It has helped me to read through all this long-winded crap, be my own psychologist, connect the dots, as boring as I am sure it is for you guys, and to realize where this whole problem I'm having all started. I completely get it now and am not so worried. I can see what my personal habits were always like before, what they are now, and what they will be once again when we go back to my husband's country. I generally do not have an 'addictive' personality, despite the kind of family I had/have, and have done pretty well through my life in spite of the things I have gone through. I'll be ok, as I always have managed to get through things, even moreso with my husband's support. He will get my cards put in his wallet tonight while he's sleeping. I won't even tell him. He'll just get a surprise tomorrow and I will have a load off my shoulders. That way I'll have to request my cards for the time being to purchase anything, which will slow me down somewhat.

I've learned to deal with mine by getting rid of all credit cards, my husband hold my debit card 99% of the time now at my request, and I've made myself promise that if it doesn't fit in my big make-up bag (nice and orderly without being squished) that I can't have it unless I make room. (it's a god sized bag and I have a "box of pallets" as well but the same rule applies to the pallets- if it doesn't fit I either have to get rid of something or I can't get it.) It helps to replace things that you don't use too often or that are too old. I also seperate things into pouches and go trough it monthly- there are four pouches; daily, weekly, monthly, year. if they go into the year pouch that means they haven't been used in that long and get tossed around christmas so that I can get myself some new stuff.  It's not the greatest system but it really has cut down on what I buy. After a while I've been able to streamline my makeup a little though I do still branch and experiment. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> good luck on taming the demon!

I cleaned out my makeup boxes, and decided... 

1. I'm not going to get more makeup until I use some of what I currently have

2. If I want new makeup products, I'll have makeup swaps with friends

3. I have a weekly limit on what I'm allowed to spend

4. I restrain myself from peeking into the makeup section of stores

Not being on this forum for the past month has really slowed my buying lol.  I've only bought 6 WnW LE palettes and some cheap $1-2 items.  Now that I'm back I'm sure it will jump back to what it was :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'd say - keep yourself busy with something that does not involve makeup shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will keep your mind off of makeup shopping

Originally Posted by Shaylynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cleaned out my makeup boxes, and decided... 

1. I'm not going to get more makeup until I use some of what I currently have

2. If I want new makeup products, I'll have makeup swaps with friends

3. I have a weekly limit on what I'm allowed to spend

4. I restrain myself from peeking into the makeup section of stores
That's me too. I'm pretty much on a no-buy until I get my graduate stipend which is like two months away. I don't foresee much makeup-buying in the near, or distant future while I'm going for this PhD :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

rofl2.gif
 OMG! Prostituting for makeup!
roflmao.gif

BTW - has anyone tried Wendy's new Berry Almond Salad?  I'm eating one RIGHT now for the first time and I'm surprised at how much I like it. nommnommnomm. 
ot.gif

Latest posts

Back