Somebody Stop Me!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! Muse... you are such a tease! LOL!

Well - I dont know if this helps out - but I try not to buy colors that I already own, even if they're on sale or from a different maker or just a just a shade off.  It helps with the spending.  If you own an 88 palette and are happy with it, then you really dont need to go out and buy individual colors, do you?

Now, if you have money to splurge, then by all means - splurge, but if you're on a budget - try to make those dollars count towards items that you DONT own...  you dont really need two shades of yellow do you?  Now, if you have a yellow and need a gold - that's different... I'm talking about general colors.  Matte black is matte black no matter who presses it.  (yes, quality is an issue - but we're talking about a budget right?)

Just my two cents and how I try to justify my shopping.

Oh my word! THAT IS A MUST!! Wow. . . 

Originally Posted by musingmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oH NO! i bought stuff today! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />((( the balm was on sale! and i couldn't resist since it's good quality and more natural and is NOT made in china like forever21 and wnw.

i feeel so GUILTY! lol... but i don't buy hair products or too much clothes...so i think it balances out.

so i got these - total of 90 dollars after 12% tax...yuck

i have to stop for a MONTH. okkk. ok.. lol I MUST! pray for me!
whipping.gif

You're right! that really helps. I know that I have a lot of same colors :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> especially neutral. I think I'm done with buying makeup for sometime now. I hope I can last a month with no purchase...

I will keep you updated~ lol

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG! Muse... you are such a tease! LOL!

Well - I dont know if this helps out - but I try not to buy colors that I already own, even if they're on sale or from a different maker or just a just a shade off.  It helps with the spending.  If you own an 88 palette and are happy with it, then you really dont need to go out and buy individual colors, do you?

Now, if you have money to splurge, then by all means - splurge, but if you're on a budget - try to make those dollars count towards items that you DONT own...  you dont really need two shades of yellow do you?  Now, if you have a yellow and need a gold - that's different... I'm talking about general colors.  Matte black is matte black no matter who presses it.  (yes, quality is an issue - but we're talking about a budget right?)

Just my two cents and how I try to justify my shopping.

I hope they don't ship to CANADA! llmao.

Maybe it's a good thing that most companies don't ship to Canada. lol

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well... crankles! Stila is having a clearance sale on their site. I'm broke already and still have a ton of things I want to get this month.

That's $21 there.

On clearance for $9.99.

There are $5. Only three shades available.

Only two shades available but they are also only $5 each.

This is now $12.

And that's now $20.

Oh god, in Canada, London Drugs is having a 40% off sale on so many things right now. I picked up some Too Faced eye shadows last night - Dirt Bag and the duo Lovey Dovey - right after I came back from the US with bags of makeup and nail polish haha :) They were out of the single Label, but called me today and told me they found one for me at another store, so will be going to pick that one up as soon as it gets there! Got an ELF Studio blush/bronzer palette in Target for $3, plus one of their 4in1 bronzer things *bleh* I shoulda got more of their Studio blushes. Plus a synthetic foundation stippler. But that ELF blush/bronzer palette is KILLER. The blush looks like NARS Deep Throat and the bronzer like Laguna! Both of which I already have, but for $3, I will never run out! Now I understand why so many people love ELF Studio! They won't let me order because my credit card has a foreign billing address, unfortunately, so I can't get their stuff online at all. Thankfully, I just found out Target is only 30 minutes away from me, as is Walgreens (next trip), and Rite Aid is only 10 minutes away across the border! And there's a Dollar store right next to it! Got a bunch of CHEAP, beautiful nail polishes in there yesterday. LA Colors polish ROCKS! So gorgeous and pigmented. Going back to get more next trip over. And Walgreens, here I come, baby! Seriously, I have the same dammmm problem, and I even hid 2 handbags I bought in the trunk of our car last week...I feel so guilty about that because lying to my husband, but if you saw the bags and prices, you would understand! haha :)

I think Balm was one of the brands that was also on sale at London Drugs! Did we go to the same store? LMAO I'm also in Vancouver. South Surrey/White Rock actually. You musta been in London Drugs!

Which LD had the 40% off or is it all LD because they don't always have the same sales???  Which one did you go to in Surrey? That's near me... in Surrey. 

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh god, in Canada, London Drugs is having a 40% off sale on so many things right now. I picked up some Too Faced eye shadows last night - Dirt Bag and the duo Lovey Dovey - right after I came back from the US with bags of makeup and nail polish haha :) They were out of the single Label, but called me today and told me they found one for me at another store, so will be going to pick that one up as soon as it gets there! Got an ELF Studio blush/bronzer palette in Target for $3, plus one of their 4in1 bronzer things *bleh* I shoulda got more of their Studio blushes. Plus a synthetic foundation stippler. But that ELF blush/bronzer palette is KILLER. The blush looks like NARS Deep Throat and the bronzer like Laguna! Both of which I already have, but for $3, I will never run out! Now I understand why so many people love ELF Studio! They won't let me order because my credit card has a foreign billing address, unfortunately, so I can't get their stuff online at all. Thankfully, I just found out Target is only 30 minutes away from me, as is Walgreens (next trip), and Rite Aid is only 10 minutes away across the border! And there's a Dollar store right next to it! Got a bunch of CHEAP, beautiful nail polishes in there yesterday. LA Colors polish ROCKS! So gorgeous and pigmented. Going back to get more next trip over. And Walgreens, here I come, baby! Seriously, I have the same dammmm problem, and I even hid 2 handbags I bought in the trunk of our car last week...I feel so guilty about that because lying to my husband, but if you saw the bags and prices, you would understand! haha :)

I think Balm was one of the brands that was also on sale at London Drugs! Did we go to the same store? LMAO I'm also in Vancouver. South Surrey/White Rock actually. You musta been in London Drugs!

Oh lord, duty free and me is dangerous, especially when I try and remain doped up for the flight so I don't freak out from fear or from not being able to smoke for 13 hours at a stretch. That's when I bought my Bobby Brown shimmer bricks, the rose one and gold cased one *bleh*, a bottle of Chanel No. 5, Estee Lauder Candy Bar lipsticks I believe it was called (which I hate) and a whole pile of other junk I never use. Other than the Chanel No. 5. Duty free international aims to bankrupt me every time I get on a flight....

Swatching the billions of earth toned shadows I have right now to keep me from buying yet more as we speak haha :)

Yeah I was there with that addiction issue, but why by the same makeup over and over. Use up the old one and wait till it gets old or used. There will always be makeup.

My way is too just only have enough on my card to get by for the week and nothing else!

I just keep a certain amount of money on my card at all times. I got $200 a while ago from graduation...I'm still not quite sure what I did with it. >.< I went to Target the other day...let's just say it was a bad idea. Then I ended up at the Bloomingdale MAC counter...all my friends think I'm totally crazy. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> After today, I'm placing myself on a buy-less until my birthday. Unfortunately, I have a half-day camp RIGHT next to a Sephora for the next month...my buy-less doesn't have a very positive outlook right now. But I try. If I have someone to talk to about makeup, it makes it easier for me to buy less because they can both talk about ways to use my current makeup and discourage me from buying new makeup...

I did good at Cosmoprof today and didn't buy a thing despite the fact they have OPI Touring in stock, which was weird since the national release date is August 3. There are 12 colors in that collection and even at a pro price it would have been $49.95 for the entire collection. I know China Glaze's Metro is out but they didn't have any in stock - that collection is $42.

I did find they're now selling makeup brushes. There was a 5-piece set for $19.99 by Soho but considering I could get the same items for less elsewhere it didn't seem like a good bargain to me.

It's so hard to restrain from buying. I pretty much said 'screw it' and drove to Sephora and dropped some money. Then they had to ask if I'd like a sample size of any perfume (like they had to ask). "YES."

So now I'm wearing it and want to go back and buy it tomorrow....as if I don't have other perfumes that I wear and enjoy. ughhhh. 

I've didn't walk into Sephora for a month. *phew*

Now if only I stopped going to drugstores! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />(((

must stop . must stop. must stop.

Originally Posted by greeneyedlady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's so hard to restrain from buying. I pretty much said 'screw it' and drove to Sephora and dropped some money. Then they had to ask if I'd like a sample size of any perfume (like they had to ask). "YES."

So now I'm wearing it and want to go back and buy it tomorrow....as if I don't have other perfumes that I wear and enjoy. ughhhh. 

The London Drugs I went to was in South Surrey, in the new Morgan Crossing shopping center. Where the Steve Nash club is. Right across from the Walmart super center where the Wet n Wild is LMFAO I went from Bellis Fair mall in Bellingham > to Rite Aid in Blaine > to the Dollar store in Blaine, Washington, talked to the ladies there about the Walgreens in Ferndale, etc BOING > then to London Drugs in South Surrey before it closed > then to freaking Walmart before THAT closed, then home....and then spent 4 hours in Sephora yesterday!! I drove all the way to downtown Vancouver to Pacific Centre mall from White Rock to peruse their collection of foundations, eye shadows, silicone free primers, etc. I did a lot better than usual, though, I must say. I only spent $23, but still came home with a bag FULL of stuff. I mainly went down there to get more liquid foundation and primer samples as I am still hunting for THE ONE and loaded up on Tarte, Korres, MUF, etc while I was there. All FREE, however. I did BUY another set of Fresh Firebird and Supernova mascaras by the cashier for $11 which I LOVE (it was that or $50+ for 2 full sized), and hit their $6 bargain bins. Picked up a discontinued Sephora nearly-matte bronzer which is almost identical in tone to my Smashbox Halo in Medium but more pigmented - I LOVE Halo and use every time I do my makeup - plus a large-ish Sephora mineral foundation jar for only $6 - this stuff has spectacular ingredients in it & a great finish on the skin & was not gonna pass it up for that price - and then asked them to call all the Sephora's in the Lower Mainland to see if they had the same mineral foundation in Medium. Completely lost my mind! I bought one in Deep yesterday because that's all they had left, and as I reasoned, I can use it as a spectacular all-over glowing-without-shimmer bronzer AND a contour powder....reasoned....justified....bullsh*tted myself....they called around at my request & finally found an entire case-full of the stuff in Medium for me at one of their other stores in the area and asked them to hold some for me til tonight. The guy was so helpful that I am definitely going to call Sephora and tell them that he really is a good employee....he must have thought I was one loopy biatch, boy....look out for the crazy-white-woman-that's-been-trolling-the-aisles-for-half-the-day.....the MUA who helped me find some foundation matches said 'You're back!' after seeing me still wandering around for 3 1/2 hours. I told her 'I never left!' Her eyes damn near bugged out haha :) Pretty pathetic! I left about 45 minutes later LOL and actually considered going to MAC afterwards! Oh my gaaaawwwddd.....

Have been playing again this morning with my new toys, swatching & blending, but the guilt of spending stupid amounts of money on MAKEUP and STUFF is really getting to me, quite honestly. My husband was shocked when I came home last night after that many hours in a cosmetics store with only $23 worth of products. He knew exactly where I was going and I *know* he assumed I was gonna come home with half the store. Quite honestly, I almost did....it took me 4 hours to talk myself in and out of so many things I had put in my basket. Had 5 or 6 eye shadow palettes in there, along with bottles and compacts of other expensive stuff, again rationalizing that it WAS a good deal for that many full-sized shadows. The bargain bins saved me, thank god! To be fair to him, he never complains about anything I do, ever, and I have spent a boat-load of cash on makeup, clothing and shoes in the past month and a half or so. A LOT. Hell, in the past YEAR and a half. In the 60 days alone, I have bought *at least* 65 mineral eye shadows and have more coming in the mail (95% were on sale), at least another 8  blushes of various types & price points, stupid amounts of bronzers - WTH? - MORE brushes - apparently 39 or so was not enough in my makeup-addled brain - 15 bottles of nail polish, countless eye shadow palettes of varying expense & size, plus eye shadow singles & refills, 2 mixing palettes, an empty shadow palette, etc. I can't believe it when I sit down and count how many products I have bought in such a short space of time. My husband doesn't even realize how much, and I have been trying not to think of it too much either. I justify it by buying most of it on sale, and yes, I DO get great deals. 40% 50% 75% off, buy-one-get-one, use coupons when possible, and collect points in every store possible for future freebies, but still buy *some* at full price. And I'm not buying on credit otherwise we'd be in bigger trouble. I only buy with the money we have, but this is still NOT ok. And I am STILL waiting for all my online orders to cross the border as the mail strike held everything up big time. That's at least another $300, just in online purchases in the past 3 weeks or so! He knows they are coming, but I even lied about those orders *too* and gave him some bs story of many of them being freebies for giving product feedback to the companies & some being product replacements (partially true). I *do* get freebies like that sometimes, but these ain't no freebies! But he buys it because he sees me testing the stuff & sometimes sees me typing out my reviews & sending them in. He also trusts me, which makes my bullsh*tting & lying even worse :-(

This truly has got to be my last HAUL for a good long while, and I am NOT joking. Will have to restrict myself to swaps. I have gotten completely out of control and I just don't feel it's fair to him. It's not fair to us *or* our relationship. The point at which I admitted I actually had an ISSUE is when I hid those bags in the trunk of the car a few weeks ago so he wouldn't see them, and then stashed the receipt in one of the zip pockets, not to mention the fact that I spent $100 on a spring/summer jacket and lied about the price to him. Justified *that one* in my mind because it was on sale. I honestly never thought I would do something like this to him - deliberately plan to lie to him & outright go out of my way to conceal the amount of money I am spending on anything, especially when he rarely spends anything on himself and is the least selfish person I have ever met in my life. Lying to him about anything is just plain WRONG....this is as low & disrespectful as I have ever been with him, and he REALLY does NOT deserve that, especially when he treats me like absolute gold. I really feel like a shit about this, so I have started explaining how much I have spent on what, showing him what I've brought home, etc. *That's* what somewhat slowed my spending in the last week. But I can't bring myself to bring those damn bags into our apartment as I don't want him to know I bought them! I still feel really guilty about it. Yet he STILL has no problem with me going to the IMATS in Vancouver this month! No problem, he says, when I mentioned it to him! WTH?? No, I am going to do my very best to NOT go, I've decided. I would rather take him out to dinner and buy HIM something, because he truly does deserve it, and more. I, on the other hand, deserve absolutely nothing at the moment, and would not blame him if he completely lost it and started ranting about how much BUYING I am doing, online and off. My pathetic confession of a shopaholic....which started with an eye shadow obsession, then everything else related to makeup, and has now moved on to bags, shoes, clothing, jewelry, etc. I really, seriously need to get my shit together....this is the kind of stuff that can destroy a relationship, and THAT I am NOT going to allow to happen....not out of my own selfishness. I'm gonna have to hand over my cards to him - mine are Visa & Mastercard debit cards - and just tell him I *know* I have a problem with this & need his help to put a stop to my self-centered addiction to buying 45 shades of every type of makeup on the shelves. I only get my cards back when we go grocery shopping together. There is no other choice for me because I simply cannot control myself at the moment.

Seriously, this feels very much like a drug addiction. It IS, in fact.....gotta try my best to NOT hit Sephora today. I've got a load of points I can redeem at Shoppers or Murale later this week to get something for free & calm my buying frenzy, but that's it. Will stay home and make the poor guy some of his favorite muffins...it's the least I can do to make it up to him for being such a lying, sneaking cow....and please pardon my 5 mile self-induced public guilt-trip :) If I put it down in writing and read it back to myself, it helps me to realize how BAD this situation I've created actually is....I am a total cow and should be flogged for being such a pathalogical, overspending liar!

OMG!!!  Crazy.  That was me 2 years ago when I took a look at what I've been using and decided that I was in a rut!

I was at the LD in Langley yesterday and they only had 25% off :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I didn't buy anything tho.  I got some allergy pills and eyedrops instead because the particulates in the air was crazy.  I just bought some glitter from Coastal Scents tho.

I'm sure many of us here can empathize, Sat. I feel the same way: my fiancé treats me like a queen, and I blow way to much money on makeup and beauty products (and hair..lets not get into that). Then last night after splurging at sephora (140), I mindlessly watched stupid HSN and got that new J Lopez fragrance (at least it comes with a return label so if I hate it I can send it back for a full refund). But I mean, REALLY? Do we REALLY NEEED all of this?! 

Does your husband have a hobby/interest that he "invests in" like we do? My man's is cars and motorcycles (building and restoration), so I "justify" my spending by thinking "oh well, he spends his money on bike car stuff, and harley accessories/apparel which is very expensive (like our palettes LOL). Then again, he completely restored and rebuilt my 92 mustang along with his 76 vette so we can both race at the track during the summer....oie. He's too nice to me. He also supports me with anything I do w/ my business. Gawd, the guilt.

After reading your post I think we must make a pack to stop this insane spending!! I mean, half the "new" stuff we get we could probably re-create with our existing stuff LOL! Half the fun is just looking at the packaging, colors, neat looking products at the store. It's also fun looking at the makeup the workers are wearing and smelling the fragrances. It's all just one huge freaking addicting candy store! The worst part for me is if I find something I realllly like (like the Naked palette),I have to buy double so I can have one for my kit. ughh.!!

Maybe we can work on it by "cutting back." Like, ok so we MUST go to sephora, well lets only buy ONE product (under XX amt. of money). Maybe that's a start?

Satojoko! YOU CAN DO IT!!! stay away from IMATS since they will have products that are hard to find in Vancouver. You will have the urge to buy! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I know I'm not going to stop myself from buying more things I don't really need.

My bf likes clothes like suits from Zegna and Hugo Boss and toys like ipads, etc. I've talked to him about me feeling guilty and superficial...and he agreed that we are both ( him and I ) are superficial...lol...

Latest posts

Back