SquareHue: April 2014 -- SPOILERS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does this month's lime green compare to Flower Power from April of last year; can anyone show them together?  Thanks.
flower power on the left and beethovenstaat on the right. I would say that flower power is more of a grass green and creamier than beethovenstraat.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheSilverNail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm very happy for everyone who loves the colors, but I too am glad I skipped this month.  What IS it with SquareHue's obsession with yellow-green?  lol
I skipped too because I would have screamed if I'd gotten another freakin' chartreuse.  I'll wait to see what the pic is before I decide on next month.

I'm one of those people who stayed subscribed and happy to be surprised and I am severely disappointed in so many repeat colours of just slightly different hues/shades.  I love those bottles so much and the polish really is good quality but I can't justify sticking around for more of the same month after month.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

flower power on the left and beethovenstaat on the right. I would say that flower power is more of a grass green and creamier than beethovenstraat.
How does it compare to the one from the safari box?  Forget the name, I gave it away to someone here on the board.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Radically different. L to r: flower power, beethovenstraat, and grassland safari.

Well, it probably wouldn't have pissed me off if I had gotten the box.  I'm still glad I passed on this one though.

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I skipped too because I would have screamed if I'd gotten another freakin' chartreuse.  I'll wait to see what the pic is before I decide on next month.
Donna, the pic for next month is up -- it's Rio, and while it looks bright, I could swear I see "another freakin' chartreuse"!  I'm keeping my sub suspended for May and no doubt for June too, as I wasn't crazy about any of the three trios we could vote on.  I really, really wish they'd back off all the yellow tones (yellow-green, yellow-orange, yellow-white, yellow-yellow).  But that's just me, and I truly am glad others like the colors.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheSilverNail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Donna, the pic for next month is up -- it's Rio, and while it looks bright, I could swear I see "another freakin' chartreuse"!  I'm keeping my sub suspended for May and no doubt for June too, as I wasn't crazy about any of the three trios we could vote on.  I really, really wish they'd back off all the yellow tones (yellow-green, yellow-orange, yellow-white, yellow-yellow).  But that's just me, and I truly am glad others like the colors.

I forgot to skip and they charged me. If I hate the colors, I'll be returning them or swapping. I am so upset I forgot, I really needed that money.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kelly Silva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I forgot to skip and they charged me. If I hate the colors, I'll be returning them or swapping. I am so upset I forgot, I really needed that money.

Try emailing them and see if they can reverse the charge and skip you for the month. I don't know if they'll actually do that, but it's worth a shot.

Quote: Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try emailing them and see if they can reverse the charge and skip you for the month. I don't know if they'll actually do that, but it's worth a shot.
I did and I received nothing back. I might try again, but I get the feeling they're like screw you we have your money.

Whoo!  I control the weather with my nails once again!  Saturday, it was pouring pretty much all day.  Last night, I decided to go with beethovenstraat for at least the first few days of the workweek, and it was sunny and low-70s today.  The view out of our office window looked like a postcard (not like we had much time to look at it, but that's a whole separate issue).  And it will probably continue to be like this for the whole week.  (Something similar happened with last year's June collection and the Color Club Wanderlust polishes from Birchbox.  When I wore certain shades from those collections, it was warm, clear, and gorgeous.  When I didn't, it was gray and drizzly if not outright stormy.)

If I were to join today, would I be able to receive the Amsterdam box?  I love those colors! 

Boo, I found it online!  Nope, I would get May's colors.  Too bad.  =(

Quote: Originally Posted by LethalLesal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  If I were to join today, would I be able to receive the Amsterdam box?  I love those colors! 

Boo, I found it online!  Nope, I would get May's colors.  Too bad.  =(
I have no idea if this is possible, but when I signed up (in December) they sent an email saying they had some of the previous month's boxes available if I wanted to purchase. If you really want the April box, you may want to email SquareHue and see if they have any extra boxes available. I don't have any experience with SquareHue customer service and don't know if the box sold out....but it's worth a try if you're interested. 

Quote: Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have no idea if this is possible, but when I signed up (in December) they sent an email saying they had some of the previous month's boxes available if I wanted to purchase. If you really want the April box, you may want to email SquareHue and see if they have any extra boxes available. I don't have any experience with SquareHue customer service and don't know if the box sold out....but it's worth a try if you're interested. 
SqH's customer service is really good, from my experience.  I'd ask.  I'm sure they'd love to sell any extra boxes they have!

Yikes, beethovenstraat is a stainer!  I should have expected that given the yellowness, though, especially since this mani lasted from Sunday until last night when I used the Cheshire shower jelly from Fortune Cookie Soap (it has chunks of red dye in it, and that stuff stained my nails and made it look like I had blood smears all over them, which would be great for Halloween, but it's not so hot in April).  But it turns out I need to chop my nails off anyway (some of them are getting so long that I know they're going to be breaking off in the bed area unless I crop them, so I might as well do that as soon as I post this), so it's not a huge deal.  And given how short I'm going to be cutting my nails, I already know my next color:  p.c. hooftstraat.  I pretty much only wear rich, dark colors like this one when my nails have just been trimmed down to nothing!  I just feel weird with long, dark nails.  My nail grow so quickly that I pretty much only have about a week every month and a half or so when I can wear them, so I try to take advantage of it when I can.

My first box was Amsterdam and although I found all the details really impressive and loved the packaging, bottles, colors, etc., I was actually really disappointed with the formula on two of the polishes. Is this just me being a novice polish user? Beethovenstraat was really similar in color to the OPI Greenade (from #NGQ02) and yet it was incredibly runny and took a lot of effort to get decent coverage. I had zero problems with Kalverstraat even though they were both creme polishes. P.C. Hoofstraat was also super runny and took many coats but it was also pretty and a duochrome so I just accepted it. 

I'm not a polish expert but I adore the Square Hue concept and I'm just trying to figure out whether these formula issues are my problem (and someone has tips) or if others are experiencing them too.

I've suspended my account with them for now but would happily renew if I felt there was more consistency. Help?

Quote: Originally Posted by CuriouslyAmanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My first box was Amsterdam and although I found all the details really impressive and loved the packaging, bottles, colors, etc., I was actually really disappointed with the formula on two of the polishes. Is this just me being a novice polish user? Beethovenstraat was really similar in color to the OPI Greenade (from #NGQ02) and yet it was incredibly runny and took a lot of effort to get decent coverage. I had zero problems with Kalverstraat even though they were both creme polishes. P.C. Hoofstraat was also super runny and took many coats but it was also pretty and a duochrome so I just accepted it. 

I'm not a polish expert but I adore the Square Hue concept and I'm just trying to figure out whether these formula issues are my problem (and someone has tips) or if others are experiencing them too.

I've suspended my account with them for now but would happily renew if I felt there was more consistency. Help?
I thought they were all runny too. Needed at least three coats to get them opaque. All of them.

Beethovenstraat was not one of their best formulas, it definitely took more than usual considering it wasn't a pastel shade. P.C. went on thin with the first swipe so I did a heavier swipe and it was fine for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by tweakabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Beethovenstraat was not one of their best formulas, it definitely took more than usual considering it wasn't a pastel shade. P.C. went on thin with the first swipe so I did a heavier swipe and it was fine for me.
Thanks for confirming that it wasn't just me. For those of you who have been subscribing longer - are the formula issues atypical or has it been like this before?

Quote: Originally Posted by Kelly Silva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I thought they were all runny too. Needed at least three coats to get them opaque. All of them.
Yes, that was disappointing to me. Thanks for the confirmation. 

Back