Starlooks January 2014 (SPOILERS!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if there might be some of their hair products in this box. There seems to be some emphasis on the models hair in some of the picks. Does Starlooks do skin care? I'm intrigued by the mystery this month.

hmm that is tough.   Starlook doesn't have face cleanser, but they do have makeup remover.   Have they ever done nailpolish?   I would think mascara (yikes!), blush, nailpolish, makeup remover.

maybe we get a coffee cup - lol.  After all, last january, you all got a really cool bracelet from an etsy shop.

I completely forgot about Starlooks in all of the holiday business! I just remembered today and ran over to see what was going on in the thread! I too almost canceled after December. It's not that I don't like Starlooks boxes, but I definitely need a bit of a break from all the makeup pouring in. I noticed quite a few of the things I was getting from Starlooks were beautiful, but not being used as often as they should. However like everyone else, the loyalty program sucked me back in...which I think was their goal considering most subscriptions must lose customers around that time of year! Smart move Starlooks!

I'm actually really excited for this month's box, because the Looks Book is very natural and calming-looking! I hate to say it, but I DO think there is going to be a mascara in the box this month. (Not sure why everyone on makeuptalk hates mascara so much! LOL) It seems like they're focuses a lot on the model closing her eyes and showing off those lovely lashes, and since they gave us falsies back in September (I think?) it's most likely going to be a mascara. Possibly a brow pencil or brow palette/kit of some kind as yet again, the focus of the photos are definitely on her eyes.

The theme is "Reflect, Cleanse and Start Fresh" so there could be one/some of their makeup removers.

I would love to try something from their new hair care line!

Either way, I'm excite for a new year with Starlooks, but more excited for those loyalty gifts to start rolling in! LOL

I might subscribe again. I have a small bit of extra money coming in today, so I sent them a message asking if I would still get January's box if I order today. The FAQ wording is awful. It says at one point "Before the 10th" and another "after the 10th", so what about RIGHT ON the 10th?!?!?! This is my birthday month, so I also asked if I would get a birthday box (I missed out last year! I subscribed on my birthday and so my boxes didn't start until Feb).

Quote: Originally Posted by Kelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I might subscribe again. I have a small bit of extra money coming in today, so I sent them a message asking if I would still get January's box if I order today. The FAQ wording is awful. It says at one point "Before the 10th" and another "after the 10th", so what about RIGHT ON the 10th?!?!?! This is my birthday month, so I also asked if I would get a birthday box (I missed out last year! I subscribed on my birthday and so my boxes didn't start until Feb).

You might want to call them if you want an answer today.  I actually emailed them with a question about my referral box and they didn't write back until the next day.  I'd hate for you to miss out by one day.

I subscribed just after my birthday last year and totally held out until December to get the birthday box. But my box had the two exact items I got during the mystery item sale. So I basically paid $18 for my birthday box. So good luck with yours! I bet if you subscribe today you will get January.

I ended up calling and it is by 11:59 on the 10th that you still get that months, so I resubscribed. I'm excited for the birthday box, particularly because the Looksbook makeup seems void of color (and that was one of the reasons I quit subscribing, because they were sending SO MUCH basic, not fun colored stuff, like powder, bronzer etc), and I want some color! I didn't order any mystery items, so it should all be new stuff (though I did get two starlooks items in my Ipsy. Knowing my luck I will get another Tipsy liner...I like it and all, but I don't think I need a third one LOL)

Yay, I'm excited to be back with Starbox. I really did like it and in the end, I cancelled mostly due to cost, and switched to Ipsy since it is almost $8 cheaper. When I look over everything I got with Starbox (from Feb - July 2013) and what I've gotten from Ipsy, I can say there is way more items I use from my Starboxes than from Ipsy.

And now that they do the loyalty item(s), referral boxes and birthday boxes, it makes it seem a bit more justified on the higher cost.

I keep meaning to join this sub.  It looks pretty awesome. I've only been subbing since Sept so while I have "a lot" of stuff, I don't have enough make up that could last until I die!!  lol.  

I just looked at the star looks page and don't see any of the stuff you guys are talking about, birthday box, loyalty program and the FAQ only mentions a 6 and 12 month program.  Huh?  

And I think the January box, by looking at the lookbook pics, is all about hair and possibly either a no make up (make up remover, skin care) or a barely there make up look, except for the eyelashes.  I definitely think the focus is on hair in the pictures and that coffee cup!!!  I'm just soo bummed I missed Jan.  when I sign up for a box, I want it NOW!!!!

ETA:  I've never received a star looksbox so I have no idea what I'm talking about with the lookbook, just a wild guess.

Quote: Originally Posted by Babs28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just looked at the star looks page and don't see any of the stuff you guys are talking about, birthday box, loyalty program and the FAQ only mentions a 6 and 12 month program.  Huh?  

I don't know that Starbox has expressly put out information in regards to their birthday box program, I think it's more something that has been happening since the subscription started and word of mouth has spread its presence.  The referral box information is on the site though.  The Loyalty Program is something they announced via a flyer included with the December box.  I don't have my flyer anymore, but I found this picture of it online:

Hope that clears at least some of it up for you!

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know that Starbox has expressly put out information in regards to their birthday box program, I think it's more something that has been happening since the subscription started and word of mouth has spread its presence.  The referral box information is on the site though.  The Loyalty Program is something they announced via a flyer included with the December box.  I don't have my flyer anymore, but I found this picture of it online:

Hope that clears at least some of it up for you!
It does, thank you @biskies!  I was totally confused… but that's nothing new with some of these subs!! I wish I could get January's box instead of waiting for Feb…. Instant gratification anyone?!  lol

Quote: Originally Posted by Babs28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It does, thank you @biskies!  I was totally confused… but that's nothing new with some of these subs!! I wish I could get January's box instead of waiting for Feb…. Instant gratification anyone?!  lol

You can generally purchase the older boxes if you missed one that you like and it's not sold out.  However, it won't count toward loyalty gifts and they usually run a few bucks more than they did if you were a subscriber. The past boxes are $25, so if it is just a matter of really wanting the products in this month's box without paying full price for them, you can easily grab them up at a significant discount by purchasing the box after they ship.  However, if you're wishing you had gotten it to start racking up months for loyalty rewards, you're better off waiting until February.  Right now, March and June through November 2013 is available.

http://starlooks.com/collections/past-starboxes

I think with the wording and pics, it very well could be makeup remover and/or primer as two items. It'd be interesting if they sent a hair product, though, I'd prefer makeup :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I hope we get the lipstick or whatever she has on. It's a nice subtle look.

I dont' think they really promote the birthday box, but people just know about it because of reviews and places like MuT.

I think with the wording and pics, it very well could be makeup remover and/or primer as two items. It'd be interesting if they sent a hair product, though, I'd prefer makeup :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I hope we get the lipstick or whatever she has on. It's a nice subtle look.

I dont' think they really promote the birthday box, but people just know about it because of reviews and places like MuT.
I agree! I think it's going to be a makeup remover of some kind, which I'm totally OK with as they always send makeup so I won't be mad if they mix it up a bit!

I have more than enough hair products to last a lifetime as I'm a couponer, but I wouldn't mind at least getitng to try out their haircare line. We'll probably try it in the Starboxes eventually as it's a good way to get the product line out there and talked about.

They haven't ever promoted the birthday box. I remember when I signed up I didn't know about it until someone on their facebook mentioned it. I really think they would hook a few more subscribers if they mentioned the birthday boxes, referral program and the loyalty program. They're probably one of the only subscriptions that sends a full box of stuff for every person you refer. I mean, you could potentially get: 1 regular monthly box, 1 birthday box, 3 referral boxes (they send only up to 3 per month) and a loyalty gift (which I'm guessing could be another box, who knows?) And it would only cost you the price of the monthly box.

That's a fantastic deal, which is why I'm staying on with Starlooks even though I was intending on leaving for a bit in 2014. Those loyalty gifts have me super intrigued. Can't wait until february to find out what we get. I wonder if they are going to come with our february boxes, or later in the month like our birthday boxes do?

Hehe I'm a bit of a couponer myself and hair products seem to be the one thing I always have on hand (and I was able to get my sisters fave kind free -maybe as a moneymaker- at riteaid for part of her Christmas present).

Ok, so it's been a while since I got my last box and I was trying to remember when shipping is. I know they say the "third week of the month" but I could remember if that means they ship starting around the 14th  or 21st. I was thinking when I started getting it they shipped around the 21st and I'd get it around the 24, but it seems like the shipping was slower or they sent them even later towards the end of my subscription and I wasn't getting it until close to the 30th.

So what has the shipping been like recently?

I'm excited to see what you all get! (Especially for the February gift!!!) 

I unfortunately had to cancel because I need to start saving money, but hopefully I'll be back soon! In the mean time I will lurk and be jealous of your hauls =o)

Hehe I'm a bit of a couponer myself and hair products seem to be the one thing I always have on hand (and I was able to get my sisters fave kind free -maybe as a moneymaker- at riteaid for part of her Christmas present).

Ok, so it's been a while since I got my last box and I was trying to remember when shipping is. I know they say the "third week of the month" but I could remember if that means they ship starting around the 14th  or 21st. I was thinking when I started getting it they shipped around the 21st and I'd get it around the 24, but it seems like the shipping was slower or they sent them even later towards the end of my subscription and I wasn't getting it until close to the 30th.

So what has the shipping been like recently?

November's was around the 21st, but December's was much earlier.  I think, though, that December's went out earlier because of the holidays, so I'd expect this to ship out sometime next week.  That's fine though because, by next week, I still won't be done lighting my Ipsy bag on fire and rhetorically asking everyone, "WHY do I keep throwing $10 at these people?"   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This month will be my first box. I subscribed on impulse lol but I don't like that it takes till the end of the month to get it. I hope I get it in time to decide whether I want to continue subscribing. The loyalty and birthday boxes do intrigue me though. 

Quote: Originally Posted by dianaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This month will be my first box. I subscribed on impulse lol but I don't like that it takes till the end of the month to get it. I hope I get it in time to decide whether I want to continue subscribing. The loyalty and birthday boxes do intrigue me though. 

I know how you feel...Glossybox is the same way.  However, I don't  mind waiting until the end of the month for a good box of stuff.   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back