Starlooks private label manufacture discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it's ok that I come in here to reply. The conversation (which was deleted) took place in the Beauty Box Spoilers Group on Facebook. My questions weren't to start drama, I really wanted answers. Everyone involved in questioning Mari was kicked out of the group. That is why I posted my questions on Facebook. In my view none of her answers were really answers (it FELT like "let's try to baffle with BS"). I took offense to her condescending tone and wanted answers before I made my purchase. I personally don't think my question on her wall was rude or deserved to be deleted. Hope that answers things! Shayna :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would have to find out that StarLooks is killing puppies and put them into the cosmetics to make me unsub at this point. I don't know. It seems like Marci was trying to explain but it's just not something that translates on FB. Anyway, Marci posts here so maybe she'll explain. At this point it's worth the money to have the cosmetics and have them picked out for me because they do a fantastic job of that and I love the makeup.

If I were to go into a store I would never have picked the colors they gave me and have become my HG!

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would have to find out that StarLooks is killing puppies and put them into the cosmetics to make me unsub at this point. I don't know. It seems like Marci was trying to explain but it's just not something that translates on FB. Anyway, Marci posts here so maybe she'll explain. At this point it's worth the money to have the cosmetics and have them picked out for me because they do a fantastic job of that and I love the makeup.

If I were to go into a store I would never have picked the colors they gave me and have become my HG!
dito.gif

I by no means had an issue with the fact that she doesn't make the products. My first post was in reaction to the craziness in a few fb groups about modern basics making the stock. And as I said then, if it works for you, great! Though personally some items can be purchased cheaper under a different label for the identical product. My issue with the brand is fast becoming Marci's integrity. I know everyone loves her, but her first post on the thread (which she later back peddled and deleted) said they were NOT stock products and they let their "friends" use their stock. Them it was that they altered and tweaked them all. Then when questioned that all the ingredients were IDENTICAL in name and order, she said she tweaks them so slightly the percentages don't change. THEN she said they tweak some products and not others. Some needed no tweaking. So my big question is (for 4 of the products specifically) are these specific products YOUR making, or simply stock? Why would I pay twice as much for the tipsy liner I want from her, if it's identical to the same one sold for half as much elsewhere? I find her answers were first contradictory, some of the science was flat out wrong (I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she was mistaken and not that she was lying) and her responses to the questions condescending. While tone is hard to portray online, her status update calling everyone ignorant WAS rude and inappropriate no matter what tone you take. The frustrating thing is I still want certain products of hers. I just want to know if they are products she "tweaks". But since she refuses to answer, it leads me to believe that she doesn't tweak any of the products I mention. And yes, I don't KNOW that that's an accurate conclusion, but the only way to get that answer would be for her to answer it which she refuses to do. My questions were legitamite questions I have.

The price of the items received as part of the subscription service are lower overall than the competitor I looked at (the studio 277), and when you factor in free shipping for subscribers it also seems like the playing field isnt that off. Even if they were not, all the effort they put into the subscription and their incredible customer service I would imagine is about building a loyal customer base. I don't know that it would make any business sense for her to admit to which products had been adjusted and which hadn't so people can just shop elsewhere. It didn't seem so much to me like she was being condescending so much as really trying not to say outright that revealing such detailed info is a damaging business strategy. That is just my take on it, not seeing the original posts that had been deleted makes it tricky for me to get an overall feel for the tone.

I planned on subbing to starlooks this summer after getting the february box and loving it. I loved the makeup quality and the unique colors, but I also care a lot about how customers are treated and whether or not the company is being honest with me. This is what Marci told a forum member in the April thread when someone questioned the makeup quality:

Sorry, but I don't think any of the brands she listed use private labels, and they probably wouldn't appreciate that association either..

I hope Marci can actually clarify, I liked Starlooks and I want to continue to like them.

• Forum: StarLooks Thread: Starlooks Starbox April 2013 Post by marcistarlooks

Thank you for this comment Black Magic! I love that username BTW. I HAD to respond to this comment, however.

I appreciate you voicing your association with Mary Kay, Avon etc, but I must comment on our quality so that this is put to the test.

We know the formulators of the products from these brands, and where their labs are. I researched this years ago when I was searching for our perfect chemist. We of course chose different formulators- We chose the same labs in the US in Canada that ALSO make the following brands:

MAC, Bobby Brown, Smashbox, Sephora Brand, Benefit, Dior, Estee' Lauder, and many more. Our labs in no way correlate with the Mary Kay and Avon labs who source their makeup from many different locations.

Personally, I love Mary Kay's skincare line, and a few of Avon's color cosmetic products, but this isn't the point. I love may items from ALL brands, and I hope you all try all brands too! Every brand has something amazing!!

But when comparing Starlooks to other brands, we are tried and true- compared to PRO products from high end brands in department stores because of our ingredients and lush formulations.

We promise.

AND I KNOW... it is shocking how affordable the Starbox is for PRO products like these. ;-) But we insist on keeping it this way for you!

Love, 

Marci

Starlooks

Oh. I fully agree. The price in the box is fantastic even compared to drugstore products! For me personally, someone whose face is allergic to colour, I would never get the box. I want to be able to without a subscription buy what I see that I like.

But when she first says that her products are BETTER than other products of the same name from modern basics cause she changes them, then she says no, only a few, I think it is a fair question to ask which products. She tries to keep saying she is the same as dior, estee lauder, etc and does things exactly the same but she doesnt. I have no issue with HOW she does things, I just find her response to all this dishonest. MAC, Bobbi Brown, etc, DONT use stock products from a distributor and slap their label on them. And I have issues with her saying she alters her products ever so slightly that it DRASTICALLY changes the formulas yet its so subtle of changes that it doesn't change even the order of ONE ingredient, make the product LOOK any different and she can not name ONE product she has supposedly altered. And to say that its just like coke and pepsi that have identical ingredients but taste drastically different, the truth is that they DO NOT have the identical ingredients in the same order.

She keeps using other companies to PROVE her brand and how SHE works, yet every comparison has been totally inaccurate.

I am not trying to beat a dead horse. Just to clarify my stance. I think the prices for the boxes are great. The products seem to be loved by ALL who have tried them. I WANT to try a few items based on the amazing reviews. I dont CARE that its stock merchandise. She obviously chose the specific items to sell under her label for a reason. She seems good at picking the right ones. And there is an art to putting things together into a cohesive and logical collection. I just feel she is being totally dishonest and condescending in her responses to those who called her out on it (I was NOT the one that brought these issues to light, I simply summarized them all when people seemed very confused about the connection to modern  basics).

I want her to either answer the questions accurately and honestly, or say "I am not willing to answer that question". I DON'T want half truths, inaccurate nonsense, illogical comparisons, or for her to simply delete questions when asked. I also don't want her to delete HER comments when caught in............ when someone proves it to be inaccurate.

And at this point I think I have said all I can on my views. I welcome Marci to come and answer my questions.

I'm just going to throw this out there since Kawaiimeow's quoted something Marci posted and that's in regards to M•A•C cosmetics.

M•A•C, Smashbox, Flirt! Cosmetics and Bobbi Brown (just to name a few) are all owned by the Estee Lauder company. Estee Lauder does have their own private laboratory in Canada called Estee Lauder Companies Inc Canadian Innovation Center and the manufacturing plant (though I'm not sure which is called Bentley). This facility was visited by several bloggers in 2011 when M•A•C was making that bloggers' collection. The bloggers obviously blogged about their experience and included images of the facility. From what I've gathered from reading the different posts that lab ONLY works on Estee Lauder companies products so I highly doubt that Modern Basics is using their labs or employees to formulate and manufacturer products there.

http://www.theshadesofu.com/2011/05/mac-bloggers-obsessions-collection_9601.html

We were ushered to the Bentley facilities right across the street: where Estee Lauder Companies Canadian Innovation Centre is housed.

http://www.temptalia.com/mac-bloggers-obsession-creation-of-jealousy-wakes-eyeshadow MAC’s executive team chose Jealousy Wakes as one of the four eyeshadows to be produced from the blogger outreach—I got the “Congratulations!†call in April, and shortly after, traveled to Toronto, Canada with fellow bloggers Aileen, Amber, Karen, Lesley Ellen, Lianne, Lily, Patrice, and Wendy. We toured production facilities and had lunch with the chemists at the Innovation Centre before meeting with our assigned chemist to actually start the development process.

Image from Makeup & Beauty Blog​

http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/mac-makeup/go-behind-the-scenes-at-the-mac-cosmetics-production-facility-and-estee-lauder-companies-canadian-innovation-centre/ We stop by one machine as it brings a big batch of MAC Shy Girl Lipsticks to life. Steps away, other machines create Bobbi Brown Gel Liners and lipsticks for Origins, as the facility makes products for a number of Estée Lauder brands. Each gets its own TLC at the facility, and products are uniquely formulated for each brand.

I would so love a tour of that place. LOL

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm just going to throw this out there since Kawaiimeow's quoted something Marci posted and that's in regards to M•A•C cosmetics.

M•A•C, Smashbox, Flirt! Cosmetics and Bobbi Brown (just to name a few) are all owned by the Estee Lauder company. Estee Lauder does have their own private laboratory in Canada called Estee Lauder Companies Inc Canadian Innovation Center and the manufacturing plant (though I'm not sure which is called Bentley). This facility was visited by several bloggers in 2011 when M•A•C was making that bloggers' collection. The bloggers obviously blogged about their experience and included images of the facility. From what I've gathered from reading the different posts that lab ONLY works on Estee Lauder companies products so I highly doubt that Modern Basics is using their labs or employees to formulate and manufacturer products there.

Image from Makeup & Beauty Blog​

I would so love a tour of that place. LOL
I think what Marci is trying to do is compare her using modern basics labs to bobbi brown using loreals lab. The problem with this comparison is two fold. Firstly, as far as I can see, (and i could be wrong) is that Marci doesnt USE the modern basic labs, she just pays them to make her stuff (if I am wrong, i would appreciate marci giving an example of ONE product they alter) and secondly, Bobbbi Brown doesnt use another companies lab. They use the labs the companies own.

Originally Posted by Polish Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think what Marci is trying to do is compare her using modern basics labs to bobbi brown using loreals lab. The problem with this comparison is two fold. Firstly, as far as I can see, (and i could be wrong) is that Marci doesnt USE the modern basic labs, she just pays them to make her stuff (if I am wrong, i would appreciate marci giving an example of ONE product they alter) and secondly, Bobbbi Brown doesnt use another companies lab. They use the labs the companies own.
Exactly, I feel like using a lab that is owned by your parent company just isn't equivalent to what Starlooks seems to be doing. Also saying that Starlooks' labs make those brands she listed is really misleading, all I can do is read it literally, but I'm not sure what she was *actually* implying by it.

Then again, I'm only going off of what we know and what Marci has said.

I think the only way for things to be clarified is if she comes out and reveals that yes she uses a private label manufacturer rather than state she has her own lab. There's nothing wrong with using a private label manufacturer and being the distributor for it since many companies like Two Cosmetics, Be A Bombshell and a few others use PLMs.

First of all, I am happy with Starlooks on multiple levels and none of these issues seem particularly concerning to me, but I figured I would throw in my two cents anyways.

The only one that would even I would really question is the deletion of Facebook posts, because I certainly do not support the practice in general. That said, I can definitely conceive of situations where it would be in a company's best interests to do so. The reason why I am not too bothered in this situation, is first of all, Starlooks history of communication and responsiveness to customers, and second, I could see this as a situation where a company would need to set boundaries. This is all said based on my very limited information regarding this situation.

I think the importance and value of boundaries is the concept I keep going back to as I consider this.  Whereas, as a consumer I feel entitled to information regarding the products I am buying, the information I feel I can reasonably expect companies to provide me with decidedly has limits. 

For example, I do not necessarily think it a reasonable expectation that Starlooks provide me with the specifics on their formulas, or what formulas they may or may not have tweaked if they are based on a private label. I do not think it would be sensible to get into the habit of providing this info either. Especially if I am seeking it out to shop around.

From what I have read, I do not think Starlooks is bs-ing. Overall, I think they are being polite. I think they tried to address the issue to the extent to which they are willing. Are they being blunt about it? Of course not, because that would be both inadvisable and inconsistent with how they have conducted themselves.  Are they providing all the detail desired from those inquiring? No. But I also think it would be a little nuts if they did. More than a little nuts, actually.

Again, the questions posited to them are just not ones I care about or need to know the answer to. (Again, I am only speaking for myself.)

I just wanted to throw in my perspective for some food for thought. My bottom line is that I am really happy with Starlooks.  They have really provided me with some great products, taught me a lot (by making me stretch with what they send me), and more than a few moments of happiness.

That is all I have to say on this issue (and phew, did I say say a lot).  It is obvious it is the end of my workday and I went much more analytical and reflective than I would normally on MUT. Now, I will shift gears out of work mode, and go do something fun :)

Thanks you guys, I always learn something new from you. (Especially you, Zadi-you are seriously a font of information, we are lucky to have you :)

On an unrelated note, the May blush rocks with my coloring, and the pigment is sooooooooooooo pretty with my brown eyes. Am I using it correctly? No idea. But it is sure is pretty :)

Also do any of you know of an inexpensive pigment mixing agent? I want to try to use it wet, but I don't want to spend a lot on my experimentation.

Originally Posted by kitnmitns /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On an unrelated note, the May blush rocks with my coloring, and the pigment is sooooooooooooo pretty with my brown eyes. Am I using it correctly? No idea. But it is sure is pretty :)
I have mad love for that blush. I'm going on a couple week vacay and narrowed down my blushes to just the pink HD and the red because I see no need for another.

I know! I love that they will stay on through anything! Perfect especially for this time of year ;-)

Also do any of you know of an inexpensive pigment mixing agent? I want to try to use it wet, but I don't want to spend a lot on my experimentation.
This is one of the reasons I bought a bottle of magic yesterday.  I mean glycerin.  I found a recipe for pigment mixing agent the other day:  One part glycerin, three parts water, mix, adjust glycerin/water ratio as desired, and toss after two weeks (because there are no preservatives).  Glycerin can be used for at least a dozen other things, so even if using it for this doesn't work for you, it can also be used on your skin, on your hair, and with a little bit of dish soap and water to make bubbles for your local six-year-olds.

Thanks Meaganola! I have some glycerin too! I will give your recipe a whirl tomorrow and see if I can find a tutorial on how the applying it wet is supposed to look. I am hardcore in love with that color!

First of all, I am happy with Starlooks on multiple levels and none of these issues seem particularly concerning to me, but I figured I would throw in my two cents anyways.

The only one that would even I would really question is the deletion of Facebook posts, because I certainly do not support the practice in general. That said, I can definitely conceive of situations where it would be in a company's best interests to do so. The reason why I am not too bothered in this situation, is first of all, Starlooks history of communication and responsiveness to customers, and second, I could see this as a situation where a company would need to set boundaries. This is all said based on my very limited information regarding this situation.

I think the importance and value of boundaries is the concept I keep going back to as I consider this.  Whereas, as a consumer I feel entitled to information regarding the products I am buying, the information I feel I can reasonably expect companies to provide me with decidedly has limits. 

For example, I do not necessarily think it a reasonable expectation that Starlooks provide me with the specifics on their formulas, or what formulas they may or may not have tweaked if they are based on a private label. I do not think it would be sensible to get into the habit of providing this info either. Especially if I am seeking it out to shop around.

From what I have read, I do not think Starlooks is bs-ing. Overall, I think they are being polite. I think they tried to address the issue to the extent to which they are willing. Are they being blunt about it? Of course not, because that would be both inadvisable and inconsistent with how they have conducted themselves.  Are they providing all the detail desired from those inquiring? No. But I also think it would be a little nuts if they did. More than a little nuts, actually.

Again, the questions posited to them are just not ones I care about or need to know the answer to. (Again, I am only speaking for myself.)

I just wanted to throw in my perspective for some food for thought. My bottom line is that I am really happy with Starlooks.  They have really provided me with some great products, taught me a lot (by making me stretch with what they send me), and more than a few moments of happiness.

That is all I have to say on this issue (and phew, did I say say a lot).  It is obvious it is the end of my workday and I went much more analytical and reflective than I would normally on MUT. Now, I will shift gears out of work mode, and go do something fun :)

Thanks you guys, I always learn something new from you. (Especially you, Zadi-you are seriously a font of information, we are lucky to have you :)

I agree with all of this. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Since many of you have been coveting the foundation brush, I thought I would share that I bought it along with the 15 brush set last month. I have been really glad I did. It has made the application process so much easier already.

Back