Starlooks private label manufacture discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello people! 

As a friendly reminder to all members, personal attacks towards ANY people (and this includes officers of certain companies) are not allowed on MakeupTalk. This includes posting personal information as well. 

Keep in mind that this thread is titled: Starlooks private label manufacture discussion, so please keep the discussion on topic.

Thanks!
smilehappyyes.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I was checking out some of the PLMs and came across this from Rozelle. Thought it was interesting info to have in light that Starlooks uses Modern Basics to purchase their products from.
I know this is a bit late, I'm researching new subs but nail polish itself isn't necessarily considered a cosmetic.  This is why distributors do not need to label it as such.  It's advertised for the same sections but FDA somewhat separates it when you get into the down and dirty statutes.  It still needs to maintain sterility, quality standards, etc. - hence the FDA oversight, but it's labeling isn't as stringent.

Makeup on the other hand - anything that colors your skin is the general rule of thumb.  Body glitter is treated the same as lipstick.  If they are NOT disclosing (at minimum) the city and name of their distributor, they are in violation of labeling laws.  You cannot do private labeling without it.  When I had a contract for private labeling for others, I HAD to include my business name and city under "manufactured by".  This was mostly due to the fact that my business name was on the state registry, thus I could be found in case of liability and avoid the distributor's liability so I didn't need to provide my address on the label.  In fact, most insurance policies will require if you either provide private labeling OR sell items someone else made, the manufacturer must be supplied where it can be viewed without purchase.  Again, minimizing liability issues is the biggest reason.  The person who sells must carry insurance and if they are selling someone else's products, they are only covered for issues with distribution while the issues with the formula would be the manufacturer.

I know this because with my own business, I used to manufacture cosmetics myself.  My state doesn't allow it and when I moved, I had to shut that portion down to comply with the law.

Thank you for the information, @Seola. I didn't even know that you're required to have insurance for that.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thank you for the information, @Seola. I didn't even know that you're required to have insurance for that.
Most states are now requiring it.  Since most businesses are set up as LLCs, when there is a problem - if there were no business assets, there is no one to hold financially responsible for injury, illness or death.  Anyone who isn't small time, I can't imagine would sell without insurance though.  My policy was $1m to cover any of my products and was only $550 a year so it's fairly inexpensive for such a huge policy.

There are a few stone age states that haven't passed laws requiring business owners be held accountable, but I would expect anyone contributing to sub boxes to comply with the law and have insurance given the reach of many of them (ETA) and hope that those putting them in sub boxes would ensure they have all their ducks in a row, including insurance before passing it along to us.  The labeling issue to me, would be a big one but that's because this means the product passed through 3 companies hands without complying before making it to us.  If they can't comply with the simplest parts of FDA guidelines... what else are they missing or not doing?  I have no qualms about private labels personally.  As long as they are clear.  What if one was contaminated and gave me eye infections?  This means I would have to call the sub company, who calls the cosmetic line, who then calls the distributor.  How long would that take?  How many other people who might have issues not get the memo?  Cosmetics go near some of our most precious orifices and can directly affect sight, smell, and taste.  I'd want to know who the the manufacturer AND distributor is.

Back