Starlooks private label manufacture discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Polish Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I by no means had an issue with the fact that she doesn't make the products. My first post was in reaction to the craziness in a few fb groups about modern basics making the stock. And as I said then, if it works for you, great! Though personally some items can be purchased cheaper under a different label for the identical product.

My issue with the brand is fast becoming Marci's integrity. I know everyone loves her, but her first post on the thread (which she later back peddled and deleted) said they were NOT stock products and they let their "friends" use their stock. Them it was that they altered and tweaked them all. Then when questioned that all the ingredients were IDENTICAL in name and order, she said she tweaks them so slightly the percentages don't change. THEN she said they tweak some products and not others. Some needed no tweaking. So my big question is (for 4 of the products specifically) are these specific products YOUR making, or simply stock? Why would I pay twice as much for the tipsy liner I want from her, if it's identical to the same one sold for half as much elsewhere?

I find her answers were first contradictory, some of the science was flat out wrong (I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she was mistaken and not that she was lying) and her responses to the questions condescending. While tone is hard to portray online, her status update calling everyone ignorant WAS rude and inappropriate no matter what tone you take.

The frustrating thing is I still want certain products of hers. I just want to know if they are products she "tweaks". But since she refuses to answer, it leads me to believe that she doesn't tweak any of the products I mention. And yes, I don't KNOW that that's an accurate conclusion, but the only way to get that answer would be for her to answer it which she refuses to do. My questions were legitamite questions I have.
It seems witch hunty and dramariffic. This is her brand and I get why she's on the defensive. Personally, I love the line and I'm scratching my head as to why this is a big deal. 

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To me the question of her using PLMs isn't a negative about her own company. Many companies use private label manufacturers. People still question Coastal Scents, BH Cosmetics, Crown Brush, Shany and several other lines because their 88 or 120 palettes are the same and this is most likely due to the fact they use the same PLM as well. I don't know for sure but it's highly possible that's the case.
But here's my question......WHY is that such a big deal? Why are people so offended that it's not super duper original? If the product is of good quality, well made, works well on you and you LOVE it...then what does it matter? Everyone is making it sound like it's some horrible discovery lol Like Coastal Scents for example...I ADORE them. I have a ridiculous number of their palettes. YES, it looks similar to BH, but I love the quality, colors, etc. and I love the fact that CS sends out a free eyeshadow quad with purchase, so I continue to buy from them.

Personally, I do hope Marci will speak out to those who are concerned, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's overwhelmed right now with all the negativity and demanding questions from people who were praising Starlooks just seconds ago. It's almost like people just NEED something to be dramatic about! Crazy! lol
smileno.gif

I for one will continue to buy Starlooks
wub.gif
Cause their products rock, their monthly sub rocks, and their birthday boxes are very generous and I'm appreciate of that sort of thing.

iagree.gif

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel like the problem (for me anyway) is she keeps saying they use the same labs as MAC & etc. but this clearly does not seem to be the case. Talk up your product for their own merits (and their makeup has plenty of their own merits from my own experience using it) but don't make false comparisons to make people think it's more special/exclusive.

I personally don't have a problem with PLM users. It's a great way to develop a brand image and get your name out for Indie companies. Like Zadi previously brought up, I was just as happy with my experiences with Be A Bombshell and their products too.
This is true. That would be something that I'm sure a lot of people would like to have explained. I do agree with you on that part
smilehappyyes.gif
I don't think she needs to talk up her products in that manner at all. Regardless of knowing WHAT labs she uses, I adore her products. I'm not much of a brand name junkie, meaning, I don't buy products JUST because of the brand. I buy them if I feel like they're good quality, from MAC to Urban Decay to L'Oreal to some unknown tiny tiny brand. If I like it, I buy it!
biggrin.gif

iagree.gif
 you took the words right out of my mouth lol. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as for me I will continue with Starlooks.

As the person who originally linked to the blog posts about Starlooks, it frankly amazes me the amount of fan girl support Marci is getting. She was caught in a lie and it is no big deal? There have been lengthy discussions on other forums (April Ispy is one) where the integrity of products were questioned and that was OK, but legit questions were asked in the Starlooks thread and it had to be moved so people wouldn't have to see it? I am kind of insulted, as I am about words like "witch hunt" being thrown around. I didn't want and don't want drama, so I am out. But wow, people are certainly invested in this brand.

You know what's funny? I asked them for the foundation samples on their page (which is a really cool feature). I got 3 pots with acronyms for their products and color codes. When I went to the Starlooks website to look up the color that worked for me, it was nowhere to be found. It started with an FK. After reading some of this thread, I did a little googling and found the Modern Basic website with the exact color code. I also couldn't care less if they use PLM and it looks like their no way to order from this site but I just thought it was interesting that they would send me color codes that don't match their own site.

You know what's funny? I asked them for the foundation samples on their page (which is a really cool feature). I got 3 pots with acronyms for their products and color codes. When I went to the Starlooks website to look up the color that worked for me, it was nowhere to be found. It started with an FK. After reading some of this thread, I did a little googling and found the Modern Basic website with the exact color code. I also couldn't care less if they use PLM and it looks like their no way to order from this site but I just thought it was interesting that they would send me color codes that don't match their own site.
They just changed the names of pretty much everything a week or two ago. It's entirely possible it's still there under a different code.

I was checking out some of the PLMs and came across this from Rozelle. Thought it was interesting info to have in light that Starlooks uses Modern Basics to purchase their products from.

According to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Title 21, Part 701.12, “The label of a cosmetic shall specify conspicuously the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer or distributor when the cosmetic is not manufactured by the person whose name appears on the label, the name shall be qualified by a phrase that reveals the connection such person has with such cosmetics, such as “Manufactured for†or “Distributed byâ€, or any other wording that expresses the facts.  The statement of the place of business shall include the City, State and Zip Code; however, the street address may be omitted if it is shown in a current city directory or telephone directory.â€

Originally Posted by sldb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the person who originally linked to the blog posts about Starlooks, it frankly amazes me the amount of fan girl support Marci is getting. She was caught in a lie and it is no big deal? There have been lengthy discussions on other forums (April Ispy is one) where the integrity of products were questioned and that was OK, but legit questions were asked in the Starlooks thread and it had to be moved so people wouldn't have to see it? I am kind of insulted, as I am about words like "witch hunt" being thrown around. I didn't want and don't want drama, so I am out. But wow, people are certainly invested in this brand.
For me, it's not "fangirl support" (though THAT is insulting, by the way) but just deciding what matters to me. What matters to me may not be what matters to you, and that's fine. For what it's worth, I have never had issue with the things sent out by Ipsy, either.

As for the posts being moved, it isn't just so people "don't have to see it"...that thread is specifically about the June box, NOT the brand as a whole, and this is not. It deserves its own post, Off topic discussions are moved all the time, it is not Starlooks specific.

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me, it's not "fangirl support" (though THAT is insulting, by the way) but just deciding what matters to me. What matters to me may not be what matters to you, and that's fine. For what it's worth, I have never had issue with the things sent out by Ipsy, either.

As for the posts being moved, it isn't just so people "don't have to see it"...that thread is specifically about the June box, NOT the brand as a whole, and this is not. It deserves its own post, Off topic discussions are moved all the time, it is not Starlooks specific.
iagree.gif
 I don't think anyone wanted to offend anyone but I just hope to see spoilers under that thread. I do however appreciated that Sldb brought up the issue! I read through all of it (the links and the discussion) because obviously a lot of people cared about it, but for me personally decided that I will just see the development. I completely understand that some people want more answers and think that they have every right to receive them, however everyone is different. 

Zadi, i don't think that is very strictly enforced. LA Colors/LA Girl and Forever 21 use the same PLM (same bottles, same ingredients in the same order) and I'm pretty sure neither of their labels mentioned the original manufacturer. LOL I'm probably in the tiny tiny minority here, but I used to sub to Starbox, and I wasn't super impressed. I mean, I think it's a fine sun and the products were okay -- on par with a lot of drugstore stuff (and I think drugstore makeup can be amazing), but I think I prefer having the ability to choose my own products for $2-5 more in a drugstore. Also I have tipsy in liner and lipstick and ick. :| The color is terrible on me. So I guess I'm in the minority about that too. Hm, to acknowledge both sides, this has gotten blown up out of proportion like a lot of things tend to... Mostly it seems like one side wants answers about the PLM (which is fair) and Marci blew it up and then both sides got various shades of angry. I mean, look, Marci seems really nice and she knows how to run a business. PLM or not, they have good products and probably average products and she has a talent for picking out the good stuff. Obviously she worked really hard on her brand, and deserves her fans. There's a reason starlooks is successful and I think everyone, and including the people questioning the PLM would acknowledge that. On the other hand, most of these people defending her probably wouldn't tolerate the facebook comment-deleting BS that has been going on. She's good at what she does, but that doesn't make her better than everyone else either. I'm sure Marci is pro ably worried she's going to lose subscribers of she revealed she's used a PLM but I feel like the comments here and on fb indicate she'll be fine. I and starlooks has been doing well for a few months ago ow. I maybe they have enough capital to get their own lab

From my understanding, in regards to the polishes, there are only three companies in the US that manufacturers nail polish. I remember at CPNA last year during a blogger's meet up that was discussed but of course I didn't hear how the conversation started. The best person to really ask about that would be Polish Galore since she knows way more about the polish industry than I do.

I totally agree on your views on Starlooks. Marci is a good business woman and I think in the long run she'll do just fine. The products aren't bad so those who like her will continue to buy from her. And I hope no one thinks that I'm out to get Marci because I'm not since I did like my subscription boxes but cancelled due to financial reasons (too many subscriptions = too much money + too many products to use up).

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the posts being moved, it isn't just so people "don't have to see it"...that thread is specifically about the June box, NOT the brand as a whole, and this is not. It deserves its own post, Off topic discussions are moved all the time, it is not Starlooks specific
I agree completely. That thread is specifically for June discussions, so this was off topic. I would think people wanting more answers would be happy by this. Before the subject was buried in the middle of another thread. Now it is prominent on the main StarLooks Group page. It's not like it was moved to some remote part of the forum or anything. Now, new comers can see it and be informed, whereas, in the middle of the June discussion, months from now, new subscribers or potential subscribers wouldn't have seen this issue.

Personally, it isn't a big deal to me and I don't feel a need to have any more answers. I am not real informed in general on the use of PLMs, but from what I've read I don't have any negative feelings about it. It's not something that would cause me to cancel my subscription. 3-4 products for $15 is a good deal and cheaper than a lot of drugstore makeup I normally buy and there are multiple items that just seem so much better than my typical drugstore items, so I love it. (plus I LOVE the surprise of it!)

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They just changed the names of pretty much everything a week or two ago. It's entirely possible it's still there under a different code.
Oh ok then, that makes more sense. I got them about 3 weeks ago but just got around to sampling them. I'm gonna have to email them and ask then for the equivalent because I really liked one of the samples.

I couldnt agree more !!

But here's my question......WHY is that such a big deal? Why are people so offended that it's not super duper original? If the product is of good quality, well made, works well on you and you LOVE it...then what does it matter? Everyone is making it sound like it's some horrible discovery lol Like Coastal Scents for example...I ADORE them. I have a ridiculous number of their palettes. YES, it looks similar to BH, but I love the quality, colors, etc. and I love the fact that CS sends out a free eyeshadow quad with purchase, so I continue to buy from them. Personally, I do hope Marci will speak out to those who are concerned, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's overwhelmed right now with all the negativity and demanding questions from people who were praising Starlooks just seconds ago. It's almost like people just NEED something to be dramatic about! Crazy! lol :smileno: I for one will continue to buy Starlooks :love: Cause their products rock, their monthly sub rocks, and their birthday boxes are very generous and I'm appreciate of that sort of thing.

As a person with limited funds, the only issue I have with Starlooks using PLM is price point. If I like a product that costs $35 through Starlooks but $15 through company B that uses the same PLM. I would want to know if the Starlooks product is indeed different than the product from company B. If it turns out they are the same exact product then I would buy it from company B. Nothing against Starlooks I just need to save my money whenever I can. After reading the whole Facebook discussion, it seemed to me like most people asking Marci questions just wanted her to straight up answer if her products where indeed different even though she uses a PLM. To me there is nothing wrong with her using a PLM. The answers she provided seemed to be more ramble than actual answers. The only thing I don't like is that Marci made it seem like her company created all their products with the help of an in house chemist that used to work for MAC. She never mentioned using a PLM and perhaps she didn't have to. However, at least to me it seems a little dishonest. And I'm thinking some just didn't like not knowing that Starlooks uses a PLM. Edited to add: PLM or not, the Starlooks Starbox is definitely a good deal.

I just have a few questions I clearly have no education or knowledge in starting a makeup line 1) if they are tweaking the ingredients when they say * we is it Starlooks making changes to the products? Or is the private company making the changes for them?

Originally Posted by DiorAdora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just have a few questions I clearly have no education or knowledge in starting a makeup line

1) if they are tweaking the ingredients when they say * we is it Starlooks making changes to the products? Or is the private company making the changes for them?
It would be the PLM making the changes.

I have not read through this entire thread so please forgive me if this is redundant. I know I posted before on my blog and on facebook about this topic and I was FINE with Starlooks repackaging product. Lots of companies do it. I think it was stupid on Starlooks part to not at least RENAME the products so it was harder to find this out. That was how people figured it out. My issue came when the owner came on facebook LYING and saying that her products were somewhat different and that they reformulated them. I pushed the issue and pointed out ingredient lists were IDENTICAL. She argued with me (not an expert by any means, but a bio-pharmaceutical chemistry student) that I just didn't understand how chemicals worked. That little alterations in chemical formulation or percentages could make or beak a product. And that tweaking one thing would actually alter the structural makeup of a chemical.  I understand that, but that would change the ordering and the naming of the ingredient list in SOME way. She used coke and pepsi as an example. Same ingredients, different taste. But then when I pointed out the ingredient lists were DIFFERENT she blocked me. I let the issue drop. 

NOW.......... fast forward months. I was at IMATS two days ago. I was at the Modern Basics booth. 

lipsticks are $12 on starlooks page, bronzer is $19 and the royal fan $47. Modern basics prices? the lipsticks were 5/$20 (or $5 each), bronzers $7 and the brush I got was $14So I paid $31 less 15% off for being a beauty blogger (was considered in the industry) instead of $100

Seemed like a good way to do a starlooks review (that I will title starlooks review - haha) without paying or supporting starlooks

Now I started speaking with the boss of Modern Basics and she said that yes, a lot of companies repackage their products. Again, something I have NO issue with. But I asked her how they have the facilities so that a company like starlooks can go in and tweak formulations and play around with formulas. She said they CAN'T. FLAT OUT. Yes, they do SPECIAL formulations and product creations for companies, but they do NOT adjust, tweak or reformulate the stock products.

Now we all know I have a big mouth and am a sh*t disturber at times, and I feel like yelling and screaming at the top of my lungs that Marci is a LIAR and a FRAUD, but that would serve no purpose. So instead, I will try out the products I bought (since they do get GREAT reviews, and I will simply post my experience on my blog and let those who look for it to read it and those who dont, not to.

I anyways CANT post on facebook because they blocked me, but I really WANT to. BAH!

Quote: Originally Posted by Polish Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My issue came when the owner came on facebook LYING and saying that her products were somewhat different and that they reformulated them. I pushed the issue and pointed out ingredient lists were IDENTICAL. She argued with me (not an expert by any means, but a bio-pharmaceutical chemistry student) that I just didn't understand how chemicals worked. That little alterations in chemical formulation or percentages could make or beak a product. And that tweaking one thing would actually alter the structural makeup of a chemical.  I understand that, but that would change the ordering and the naming of the ingredient list in SOME way. She used coke and pepsi as an example. Same ingredients, different taste. But then when I pointed out the ingredient lists were DIFFERENT she blocked me. I let the issue drop. 

A few friends of mine who do understand what goes into making products have told me the same thing, ingredients can be tweaked just a bit without it changing the order the INCI. (See my next comment below.)

NOW.......... fast forward months. I was at IMATS two days ago. I was at the Modern Basics booth. 

lipsticks are $12 on starlooks page, bronzer is $19 and the royal fan $47. Modern basics prices? the lipsticks were 5/$20 (or $5 each), bronzers $7 and the brush I got was $14So I paid $31 less 15% off for being a beauty blogger (was considered in the industry) instead of $100

Of course her prices are going to be higher because she's trying to make a profit and the prices at IMATS was lower was because it's also a trade show so prices are typically up to 50% off retail. Yes she's almost a 60% mark up but most cosmetics have a high mark up. Example, OPI has a 50% mark up ($8) retail vs ($4),pro price... same with so many other companies. Sure hers is a little higher than 50% at 58.25% mark up but it's really not too bad of a markup. This is why she's able to do the sales she does and the subscription boxes because she's not taking a hit on her profits. I can't fault her for that, it's a smart business move with the subscription boxes because it does bring in the business.

Personally, I very much doubt I would actually buy her products not because the products are bad but because I have the subscription box (again) and am content with the items sent to me for under $20 per month ($15 + $2.25 shipping). Granted I can't pick my own colors but that's okay for me.

As for purchasing from Modern Basics, the only thing is that one can't really purchase directly from them unless you make a $100+ purchase. Of hand I don't remember what the minimum order was but many PLMs have a minimum order of any where from at little as $100 up to $200. They are after all a private label manufacturer that doesn't cater to the general public. Lady Burd is the same way. Now PLMs like Morphe, Crown and a few others do sell directly to customers and they do mark up their products a bit.

Now I started speaking with the boss of Modern Basics and she said that yes, a lot of companies repackage their products. Again, something I have NO issue with. But I asked her how they have the facilities so that a company like starlooks can go in and tweak formulations and play around with formulas. She said they CAN'T. FLAT OUT. Yes, they do SPECIAL formulations and product creations for companies, but they do NOT adjust, tweak or reformulate the stock products.

It's the same with Lady Burd and other PLMs, their stock products can't be changed except by the PLM.

Quote: Originally Posted by Polish Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Now we all know I have a big mouth and am a sh*t disturber at times, and I feel like yelling and screaming at the top of my lungs that Marci is a LIAR and a FRAUD, but that would serve no purpose. So instead, I will try out the products I bought (since they do get GREAT reviews, and I will simply post my experience on my blog and let those who look for it to read it and those who dont, not to.

I wouldn't go so far as calling Marci a fraud. She's not doing something like taking people's money and not providing them with product (*coughlikeacertaincompanycough*).

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A few friends of mine who do understand what goes into making products have told me the same thing, ingredients can be tweaked just a bit without it changing the order the INCI. (See my next comment below.)

Of course her prices are going to be higher because she's trying to make a profit and the prices at IMATS was lower was because it's also a trade show so prices are typically up to 50% off retail. Yes she's almost a 60% mark up but most cosmetics have a high mark up. Example, OPI has a 50% mark up ($8) retail vs ($4),pro price... same with so many other companies. Sure hers is a little higher than 50% at 58.25% mark up but it's really not too bad of a markup. This is why she's able to do the sales she does and the subscription boxes because she's not taking a hit on her profits. I can't fault her for that, it's a smart business move with the subscription boxes because it does bring in the business.

Personally, I very much doubt I would actually buy her products not because the products are bad but because I have the subscription box (again) and am content with the items sent to me for under $20 per month ($15 + $2.25 shipping). Granted I can't pick my own colors but that's okay for me.

As for purchasing from Modern Basics, the only thing is that one can't really purchase directly from them unless you make a $100+ purchase. Of hand I don't remember what the minimum order was but many PLMs have a minimum order of any where from at little as $100 up to $200. They are after all a private label manufacturer that doesn't cater to the general public. Lady Burd is the same way. Now PLMs like Morphe, Crown and a few others do sell directly to customers and they do mark up their products a bit.

It's the same with Lady Burd and other PLMs, their stock products can't be changed except by the PLM.

I wouldn't go so far as calling Marci a fraud. She's not doing something like taking people's money and not providing them with product (*coughlikeacertaincompanycough*).

I have no issue with the repackaging or the pricing (though I would not pay the pricing MYSELF when I KNOW I can get the same thing for less. But my issue and my ONLY issue is that she out and out LIED and continues too. She can alter things slightly and keep ingredients the same, but she is NOT tweaking anything. She is lying through her teeth. When you claim you are changing the ingredients and you aren't and you are saying your products are specially altered and are not, that to me is FRAUD!! She has a gift obviously for choosing the RIGHT products to put in her line and label. I am not arguing that. But lying and saying you are making the product (she actually originally said she had someone working full time formulating her products) yourself and you are not, that is to me as big a fraud as possible. I might be aging myself here a tad, but I would call her the milli vanilli of the makeup world. 

Back