Starlooks private label manufacture discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the FB matter - I don't really care. The products aren't expired. Marci isn't buying huge lots on eBay and trying to pass them off as fresh products. She was more than nice - even gave out phone numbers of her distributors. I love their quality & it's affordable. And I can't wait for my next box!

To me the question of her using PLMs isn't a negative about her own company. Many companies use private label manufacturers. People still question Coastal Scents, BH Cosmetics, Crown Brush, Shany and several other lines because their 88 or 120 palettes are the same and this is most likely due to the fact they use the same PLM as well. I don't know for sure but it's highly possible that's the case.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To me the question of her using PLMs isn't a negative about her own company. Many companies use private label manufacturers. People still question Coastal Scents, BH Cosmetics, Crown Brush, Shany and several other lines because their 88 or 120 palettes are the same and this is most likely due to the fact they use the same PLM as well. I don't know for sure but it's highly possible that's the case.
But here's my question......WHY is that such a big deal? Why are people so offended that it's not super duper original? If the product is of good quality, well made, works well on you and you LOVE it...then what does it matter? Everyone is making it sound like it's some horrible discovery lol Like Coastal Scents for example...I ADORE them. I have a ridiculous number of their palettes. YES, it looks similar to BH, but I love the quality, colors, etc. and I love the fact that CS sends out a free eyeshadow quad with purchase, so I continue to buy from them.

Personally, I do hope Marci will speak out to those who are concerned, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's overwhelmed right now with all the negativity and demanding questions from people who were praising Starlooks just seconds ago. It's almost like people just NEED something to be dramatic about! Crazy! lol
smileno.gif

I for one will continue to buy Starlooks
wub.gif
Cause their products rock, their monthly sub rocks, and their birthday boxes are very generous and I'm appreciate of that sort of thing.

Sure looks like it to me.  In the thread about them being in Ipsy's bag, you noted "distributed by Starlooks, manufactured by Modern Basics".  You've never done anything like that regarding Ipsy including Coastal Scents which also obviously uses a PLM.  Never did that when talking about Two Faced or The Balm.  Why is Starlooks different? 

Witch hunts bother me.  If you're gonna do that to one company, do it to all of them.    

Sure looks like it to me.  In the thread about them being in Ipsy's bag, you noted "distributed by Starlooks, manufactured by Modern Basics".  You've never done anything like that regarding Ipsy including Coastal Scents which also obviously uses a PLM.  Never did that when talking about Two Faced or The Balm.  Why is Starlooks different?  Witch hunts bother me.  If you're gonna do that to one company, do it to all of them.    
Here Here!!!

Originally Posted by mhammill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure looks like it to me.  In the thread about them being in Ipsy's bag, you noted "distributed by Starlooks, manufactured by Modern Basics".  You've never done anything like that regarding Ipsy including Coastal Scents which also obviously uses a PLM.  Never did that when talking about Two Faced or The Balm.  Why is Starlooks different? 

Witch hunts bother me.  If you're gonna do that to one company, do it to all of them.    
Too Faced & The Balm use a PLM?

Originally Posted by mhammill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not a witch hunt. I've done it in the past with Be A Bombshell and Two Cosmetics and mentioned that both use PLMs though with both of them I didn't name the manufacturer because I don't know who it is (I'm still hunting down who their PLM happens to be other than Lady Burd). Be A Bombshell I know they use a PLM but again no idea who it is. With Starlooks it's known (and it's actually on their own packaging) but the other reason I've named it with Starlooks this time is because people are posting on Facebook that it's this company or that company (all of whom use Modern Basics) when it's Starlooks. 

Originally Posted by MissTrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by mhammill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Too Faced & The Balm use a PLM?

I think she means Two Cosmetics not Two Faced. Two Faced cosmetics does not use a PLM as far as I know but they do use HCT Group to create their products packaging (Urban Decay, Kat Von D, Maybelline and several other well known brands use HCT to create their unique and custom packaging)

I'm not bothered that Starlooks uses a PLM, because I like the formulas of the products they carry. In fact I found three of my HG items through them: Barbie HD blush, Lengthening mascara and Tipsy lip liner :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't mind that they're using a PLM either. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal but I put the info out there because I have that info and to me people should be well informed to make up their own minds. I do know that several other companies who sell Modern Basics products sell it for less than Starlooks so it should be up to a person to decide where to buy the item from if they like it. So again, not a witch hunt.

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But here's my question......WHY is that such a big deal? Why are people so offended that it's not super duper original? If the product is of good quality, well made, works well on you and you LOVE it...then what does it matter? Everyone is making it sound like it's some horrible discovery lol Like Coastal Scents for example...I ADORE them. I have a ridiculous number of their palettes. YES, it looks similar to BH, but I love the quality, colors, etc. and I love the fact that CS sends out a free eyeshadow quad with purchase, so I continue to buy from them.

Personally, I do hope Marci will speak out to those who are concerned, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's overwhelmed right now with all the negativity and demanding questions from people who were praising Starlooks just seconds ago. It's almost like people just NEED something to be dramatic about! Crazy! lol
smileno.gif

wub.gif
Cause their products rock, their monthly sub rocks, and their birthday boxes are very generous and I'm appreciate of that sort of thing.

I think the reason it's a big deal to some people... well reasons are because...

1. it's not exclusive to Starlooks and people were under the impression the items were exclusive.
  2. Cost. People hate paying more for something when another company selling the exact identical item is selling it for less so they feel ripped off.
  3. Wording. Marci wrote at one time she uses a person who was once a MAC chemist when the truth is that no one knows for sure. For all we know the people who work at Modern Basics were once employed by Estee Lauder whose company formulates and creates MAC products. I know (and the reason I posted the info about Estee Lauder) that Estee Lauder makes their own products for their own companies (MAC, Bobby Brown, Smashbox, Origins, etc) and I doubt that they would rent out their labs or employees to other companies not owned by Estee Lauder.

Personally, I would subscribe again to Starlooks because at $15 a month it's STILL a good deal but I try to be an informed consumer and to me that's the most important thing a person can be.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is one of the reasons I bought a bottle of magic yesterday.  I mean glycerin.  I found a recipe for pigment mixing agent the other day:  One part glycerin, three parts water, mix, adjust glycerin/water ratio as desired, and toss after two weeks (because there are no preservatives).  Glycerin can be used for at least a dozen other things, so even if using it for this doesn't work for you, it can also be used on your skin, on your hair, and with a little bit of dish soap and water to make bubbles for your local six-year-olds.
Tried it today and it worked like a charm! WooHoo!

smileno.gif

wub.gif
I feel like the problem (for me anyway) is she keeps saying they use the same labs as MAC & etc. but this clearly does not seem to be the case. Talk up your product for their own merits (and their makeup has plenty of their own merits from my own experience using it) but don't make false comparisons to make people think it's more special/exclusive.

I personally don't have a problem with PLM users. It's a great way to develop a brand image and get your name out for Indie companies. Like Zadi previously brought up, I was just as happy with my experiences with Be A Bombshell and their products too.

I feel like the problem (for me anyway) is she keeps saying they use the same labs as MAC & etc. but this clearly does not seem to be the case. Talk up your product for their own merits (and their makeup has plenty of their own merits fro my own experience using it) but don't make false comparisons to make people think it's more special. I personally don't have a problem with PLM users. It's a great way to develop a brand image and get your name out for Indie companies. Like Zadi previously brought up, I was just as happy with my experiences with Be A Bombshell and their products too.
That is it exactly for me. I am a new subscriber to Starlooks and seems like everybody likes Marci, but I kind of feel that I was misled by the comparisons to/hints at relationships with MAC, MAC labs and people who used to work for MAC. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because if they lie about that, what is to keep them from lying about something else? And BTW, I have no problem with PLMs. I love Be a Bombshell.

Quote:Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smileno.gif

wub.gif

HOnestly, this is what I feel like a lot of the time! I am not sure a single sub has gone without some sort of drama, and while sometimes the worries are quite warranted, I think sometimes it's making mountains out of molehills.

For me, part of the appeal of Starlooks is that the products have all been awesome, yes, but it's more than that. Sure, I can go out and buy a great blush or something, that I KNOW I will like, possibly for cheaper...but it's the whole experience...getting a box of goodies I might not have chosen for myself every month (and for a better price, considering the cost of the box vs. the 3-4 items in it).

I also think Marci did a pretty good job of trying to explain, and I don't think the condescension that some felt was intended.

That's not to say I don't understand some feeling misled, don't get me wrong. It just doesn't change anything for me, personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not bothered that Starlooks uses a PLM, because I like the formulas of the products they carry. In fact I found three of my HG items through them: Barbie HD blush, Lengthening mascara and Tipsy lip liner :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
See, now that they have discontinued the HD fluid blushes, I am hoping to find another company that has them, because I LOVE the formula!

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See, now that they have discontinued the HD fluid blushes, I am hoping to find another company that has them, because I LOVE the formula!
I've been trying to find someone else who has the HD fluid blushes too. I didn't feel like paying full price for any of them on Starlooks' website even though I loved the one I got in the February box, so it would be nice to find another small company who carries them for a better price.

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel like the problem (for me anyway) is she keeps saying they use the same labs as MAC & etc. but this clearly does not seem to be the case. Talk up your product for their own merits (and their makeup has plenty of their own merits from my own experience using it) but don't make false comparisons to make people think it's more special/exclusive.

I personally don't have a problem with PLM users. It's a great way to develop a brand image and get your name out for Indie companies. Like Zadi previously brought up, I was just as happy with my experiences with Be A Bombshell and their products too.
This is true. That would be something that I'm sure a lot of people would like to have explained. I do agree with you on that part
smilehappyyes.gif
I don't think she needs to talk up her products in that manner at all. Regardless of knowing WHAT labs she uses, I adore her products. I'm not much of a brand name junkie, meaning, I don't buy products JUST because of the brand. I buy them if I feel like they're good quality, from MAC to Urban Decay to L'Oreal to some unknown tiny tiny brand. If I like it, I buy it!
biggrin.gif

I also sort of feel like this thread has been hijacked by this topic. Perhaps it may be a good idea to move the discussion to another thread so those who are not interested do not have to read about it and those interested can continue the dialogue at will.

I just joined Starlooks, but I don't really care about them using PLM. The products still seem like high quality, are not manufactured in China, and the prices are better than other companies that use Modern Basics (from what I've been able to see). The sub box model is also really convenient, since it's makes the items even cheaper. I tend to not like other companies that use PLM, because they are often sub-par products, but Modern Basics actually seems like a good company to me. 

The Starlooks box does make the products even better priced because for under $20 you get several full size cosmetic items. No dispute that is the best thing Starlooks offers and it's their sub program.

Back