Starlooks September, 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, it's been two months since I unsubscribed and it seems like one of the main reasons I dropped is still the same: Lack of color! I do think the Milky Way Liner might be kind of cool. I'd like to see a swatch!

All that being said, I feel some loyalty to Starbox since it was my first sub (and I only dropped it because so much lack of color and the fact that I wanted to try Ipsy and it is about $8 cheaper, so I figured until my finances change a bit, I should cut back,) and I really do want to resubscribe.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Wow, it's been two months since I unsubscribed and it seems like one of the main reasons I dropped is still the same: Lack of color! I do think the Milky Way Liner might be kind of cool. I'd like to see a swatch!

All that being said, I feel some loyalty to Starbox since it was my first sub (and I only dropped it because so much lack of color and the fact that I wanted to try Ipsy and it is about $8 cheaper, so I figured until my finances change a bit, I should cut back,) and I really do want to resubscribe.

it might be a good idea to sign back up in November... they're promising color for that month!  I love their makeup, just wasn't impressed by all the bland stuff they were sending, I was on total makeup overload, and I wanted to try Bondi!  

Now I'm thinking of signing up again in Nov... I LOVED their January and February boxes!

I'm staying on board through December -- my birthday is in November (want the bday box!), and the holiday box was great last year. I'll probably cancel my sub in January. I LOVED my first few months of Starlooks, but . . . eh. Glitter and

lashes.

Trying post from my tablet, which is hit or miss, but I thought you might be interested in this response from Starlooks, especially about the IPSY code. " Thanks for your inquiry on our products! Yes, we are often switching Starbox products with bolds and neutrals because most people have given us the feedback that they are afraid of color. So, we offer the color products at an awesome promo,so that all products and colors can always be available to you at a special price! Did you see that you are able to use the IPSY code at check out to receive a 20% discount on any purchase of $35 or more? You don't have to be part of IPSY to use this code! We offer it to everyone! I encourage you to use the code before the promo is up on October 15, and purchase your color products to go with your September Starbox!!! Let us know if you have other questions! And color your world with our fall sets!!"

Quote: Originally Posted by kitnmitns /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Trying post from my tablet, which is hit or miss, but I thought you might be interested in this response from Starlooks, especially about the IPSY code.

" Thanks for your inquiry on our products! Yes, we are often switching Starbox products with bolds and neutrals because most people have given us the feedback that they are afraid of color. So, we offer the color products at an awesome promo,so that all products and colors can always be available to you at a special price! Did you see that you are able to use the IPSY code at check out to receive a 20% discount on any purchase of $35 or more? You don't have to be part of IPSY to use this code! We offer it to everyone! I encourage you to use the code before the promo is up on October 15, and purchase your color products to go with your September Starbox!!! Let us know if you have other questions! And color your world with our fall sets!!"

I wonder if they would be open to offering two different subscription types, one bold/color/adventurous, and one neutral/basics.

Part of my irritation with that "use your ipsy code!" response is that I am turning to this sub to get me out of the specific color rut I'm in. If I'm the one picking out my color, I will end up with blue, green, and purple. I probably have thirty eyeliners in variations of those shades. I would have *never* picked out a coral lip color, but after it showed up in my box, I was obsessed. I would love a bold/adventurous color option, especially if we still received staples like brushes and powder (for example) every once in a while. I can never decide which powder to get, so I don't buy any, but if I receive one in a box, I may very well make that my one and only powder now and forever. This reminds me: I'll be breaking out that rust lipstick from March in a week! That was *totally* an October color for me. I need to go through my makeup bag this weekend and rotate the summer stuff out since I was too busy doing that this past weekend.

The March lippie is realllllllly pretty on, I love that color.  I will pull it out later, now that you brought it up.

Also, I just played with the Milky Way as sort of a cream shadow base and I can see it having some potential as a counterpoint to some of my more colorful shadows.  I used the Heart of the Ocean shade from Stila's luxe palette and did a kind of fade across my lid and it was really fun.  I was especially playful with it because I am just going to jump on the treadmill before I really have to get to work mid-morning, so it was not as though anyone would see it if I went a little crazy :)

The March lippie is realllllllly pretty on, I love that color.  I will pull it out later, now that you brought it up.  Also, I just played with the Milky Way as sort of a cream shadow base and I can see it having some potential as a counterpoint to some of my more colorful shadows.  I used the Heart of the Ocean shade from Stila's luxe palette and did a kind of fade across my lid and it was really fun.  I was especially playful with it because I am just going to jump on the treadmill before I really have to get to work mid-morning, so it was not as though anyone would see it if I went a little crazy :)
Duuuude, you should see me on Sundays when I'm just cleaning my apartment and powerloading Netflix. Drunk clown prostitute time. I once decided to mix the pink fluid blush from February with the coral fluid blush from the Lauren Clark box. It was *vivid*, but it was a Sunday, so I just closed the blinds, slathered on some eye shadow, and watched some Netflix (probably horror movies).

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Duuuude, you should see me on Sundays when I'm just cleaning my apartment and powerloading Netflix. Drunk clown prostitute time. I once decided to mix the pink fluid blush from February with the coral fluid blush from the Lauren Clark box. It was *vivid*, but it was a Sunday, so I just closed the blinds, slathered on some eye shadow, and watched some Netflix (probably horror movies).
OH MY GOSH!  That cracked me up! 

LMAO.

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it might be a good idea to sign back up in November... they're promising color for that month!  I love their makeup, just wasn't impressed by all the bland stuff they were sending, I was on total makeup overload, and I wanted to try Bondi!

Now I'm thinking of signing up again in Nov... I LOVED their January and February boxes!

I definitely want to sign up again by December. I signed up in January last year (woo-hoo birthday money), but since my birthday was in January, my first box didn't come until Feb, so I didn't get a bday box this year. Hopefully I will be able to sign up again before Nov. to get some boldness (my switch to ipsy backfired, since I got a bag completely devoid of color: black mascara and black starlooks liner, white eyeshadow, shampoo/conditioner ... so still NO color!)

Part of my irritation with that "use your ipsy code!" response is that I am turning to this sub to get me out of the specific color rut I'm in. If I'm the one picking out my color, I will end up with blue, green, and purple. I probably have thirty eyeliners in variations of those shades. I would have *never* picked out a coral lip color, but after it showed up in my box, I was obsessed. I would love a bold/adventurous color option, especially if we still received staples like brushes and powder (for example) every once in a while. I can never decide which powder to get, so I don't buy any, but if I receive one in a box, I may very well make that my one and only powder now and forever.

This reminds me: I'll be breaking out that rust lipstick from March in a week! That was *totally* an October color for me. I need to go through my makeup bag this weekend and rotate the summer stuff out since I was too busy doing that this past weekend.

I was waiting until I posted about this on my blog, but now that I just did I will share something I do to keep me out of my comfort zone that you may find helpful  (It is a little embarrassing to admit to, but its actually really fun).

Quote:   One glass has all of my palettes written down on little scraps of paper.
One glass has tons of different looks and colors in it, which I add to as they occur to me.

So, when I am feeling like I have been being particularly lame or boring, or if I am just feeling a bit adventurous, I pluck one slip from each glass.  The combos range wildly, and it really nudges me to shop my stash and step out of my comfort. Plus, it's fun!

Obviously, you can substitute the glass for a bag (I am looking at you, Ipsy bags). 

I just had a thought Meagan.  You could try my approach to help you shop as well.  On the slips you could just write down the things you never wear, and just pick up one at a time. I am pretty good about forcing myself out of my comfort zone in spite of my boyfriend.  He can be pretty annoying in that he really likes super subtle looks on me, and sort of mildly complains when I branch out of that. It is mild, but it annoys me. Granted, I am glad that he likes my basic face (without or without makeup) but I like to try new stuff, even if it does not always pan out.

Quote: Originally Posted by kitnmitns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The March lippie is realllllllly pretty on, I love that color.  I will pull it out later, now that you brought it up.

Also, I just played with the Milky Way as sort of a cream shadow base and I can see it having some potential as a counterpoint to some of my more colorful shadows.  I used the Heart of the Ocean shade from Stila's luxe palette and did a kind of fade across my lid and it was really fun.  I was especially playful with it because I am just going to jump on the treadmill before I really have to get to work mid-morning, so it was not as though anyone would see it if I went a little crazy :)
I did the same thing. It worked great as a primer/base for the peachy colors in July's eyeshadow compact. My eyeshadow hasn't budged!

Quote: Originally Posted by ohdahlia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I did the same thing. It worked great as a primer/base for the peachy colors in July's eyeshadow compact. My eyeshadow hasn't budged!
Mine either!

I'm actually really happy with the silver liner.  I was looking at buying something similar from Mirenesse or Cailyn (I think they both must source from the same manufacturer), so this saves me having to buy it. Sometimes having that flash of brightness along the inner upper lash line helps my eyes look bigger - I have hooded eyes, so if I want to play with dark makeup I have to do something so I don't look like I have a black eye.  The diamondline liners work great for that too.

Well, I am kind of having a pretty bad day so I am worried my opinion of the box may be adversely affected, but I think I hate it.  I know they will happily replace the broken item for me if I can't get it fixed on my own, however I own 4 of that type of item, 2 have had the same issue (the last one seemed to fix itself) and 1 has a crack in the top.  For what the full price on this product is, I think the packaging really needs improvement.

The lipgloss tube broke (the stopper thingy popped into the cap), the eyeliner doesn't show up on me well enough to use as a liner and as an eyeshadow it is sticky/heavy feeling and it's creasing on me (after 3-4 hours).  I don't know what to think of the lashes, I have never used them.  I thought they were only to be used a few times with proper cleaning, so they really seem overpriced to me.  I don't think they should have counted as a full item if they are a very short lived product - but if lashes are meant for use over months like other products then please scratch my argument against them.
I have also been getting bored by the lack of color and variety, and many of the special colorful sets they sell seem really expensive to me.  I love Starlooks products and the subscription, but if they are making a permanent change to primarily neutrals I can't see spending the ~$17/mo on it. I plan to stick around for the November box at this point but one colorful box every 6 months or so just isn't for me.

0.jpg

Just stumbled into this video featuring Marci talking about the line and the September box.

Thanks for posting that! It's nice to get a closer look at the eyeshadows from the build your own kit. Great product advice too, I will try the 'eyeliner' as a base.

Back