Starlooks September, 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I've been using the

pearl necklace lip gloss
every day, and I actually love it. It looks great over red/strong pink.

I'm pretty disappointed in my box this month. Especially the
Drag Queen eyelashes. Did everyone get the same pair? I have nothing against Drag Queens at all, but these lashes were just EXTREME on me.

I have to say that I love this box!  At least half of it.  The lip gloss is pretty much just a little bit of opalescence, and that's exactly what I think is fair to foist upon my fellow commuters at 6am on the bus.  I prefer screaming neon pinks and reds for my lips, but that's a little bit much to be confronted with  when it's so dark outside that your eyes hurt when the bus stops to pick up more passengers and the overhead lights get triggered.  The shimmery all-over wash with color on the lids?  That's been my default approach since...  March?  That sounds right.  I got the February box with the pink gel liner as a leftover when the Lauren Clark box went up, so it must have been March.  It's fast and easy.  I have several similar products from essence as well as some loose pigments on days when I want a bit of color instead of just white, but this is my first *white* shimmer, so I am very happy to have it since it will go very nicely with purples and blues pretty much all of my cooler colors.  Now that I think about it, strangely, aside from that pink, I think all of the other cream/gel shadows I have are warmer-toned.  Huh.  This was probably the *perfect* item for me right now! As for the stuff I'm not wild about, I have no use for that concierge service.  I happen to actually enjoy doing that sort of research on my own.  When I read about the service, I actually thought, "Hey, people *pay* for this sort of thing?  I should think about doing that as a business as well!"  And then I remembered that I'm not actually a business-oriented person, so I wouldn't be able to deal with the startup side of things, but if they were looking to hire people who could do this research for a few hours every night and on weekends?  *Totally* my thing.  I do that sort of thing for *fun*.  And the lashes...  I wear glasses.  I work in an office and have no social life.  I have never worn fake lashes because they seem pointless.  But...  Maybe I'll let Tipsy Trixie the Clown play with them when I'm on staycation next week.

I WANT to love this box so much, but I just can't. I think I like the idea of all these products, but not these actual products. If that makes sense. 

I LOVE false lashes. Love them. I have almost a whole drawer of them. I actually don't mind the lashes they sent me (very dramatic..perfect for a night out) but the glue was seriously horrible. The worst I've ever used easily.

Also love metallic liners and I've actually been searching for a white-ish shade but this one had a really odd consistency. Too creamy I think. It took quite a few dips into the pot to actually get a nice opaque line all the way across my lid. Liked the way it ended up looking, but I'd rather just use a liquid or gel liner.

Not a huge lip gloss fan, but I think the pearl aspect of this one is nice to tone down brightly colored lips or over a nude color. It was pretty sticky though. Eh. 

And I'm just not counting the Ooberluxe thing. Already in my garbage can. I can do my own Googling, thanks.

Bring on October!

Quote: Originally Posted by Yeti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well, I am kind of having a pretty bad day so I am worried my opinion of the box may be adversely affected, but I think I hate it.  I know they will happily replace the broken item for me if I can't get it fixed on my own, however I own 4 of that type of item, 2 have had the same issue (the last one seemed to fix itself) and 1 has a crack in the top.  For what the full price on this product is, I think the packaging really needs improvement.

The lipgloss tube broke (the stopper thingy popped into the cap), the eyeliner doesn't show up on me well enough to use as a liner and as an eyeshadow it is sticky/heavy feeling and it's creasing on me (after 3-4 hours).  I don't know what to think of the lashes, I have never used them.  I thought they were only to be used a few times with proper cleaning, so they really seem overpriced to me.  I don't think they should have counted as a full item if they are a very short lived product - but if lashes are meant for use over months like other products then please scratch my argument against them.
I have also been getting bored by the lack of color and variety, and many of the special colorful sets they sell seem really expensive to me.  I love Starlooks products and the subscription, but if they are making a permanent change to primarily neutrals I can't see spending the ~$17/mo on it. I plan to stick around for the November box at this point but one colorful box every 6 months or so just isn't for me.

That is pretty much exactly why I cancelled after July. I don't WANT a box of only neutrals every month. I miss the fun colors. I was hoping that the last 2 months would convince me to resub, but they really really haven't.

Back