Starlooks Starbox December 2013 *spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Caly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thank you so much for sharing those emails, MissJexie!
You're welcome! We shared quite a few more an she made sure that I was happy and to tell me that if myself or anyone had any issues with their products to feel free and contact them and she will rectify it asap. I'm glad to know if I have future issues with any products that Marci will personally see to it that I'm happy. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I walked away a very happy customer, for sure. Some of the best customer service I've come across!

I really, really like this palette and I got a surprise email saying I'm getting a referral box.  Are the referral boxes generally nice?  This will be my first one.

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I really, really like this palette and I got a surprise email saying I'm getting a referral box.  Are the referral boxes generally nice?  This will be my first one.
They're really nice! A bunch of people got them last month, and there are pictures in last month's Starbox discussion. You might want to check those out!

I posted my 3 referral boxes from last month on the first page of this thread if you're interested in seeing what I got! They're pretty awesome!

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I posted my 3 referral boxes from last month on the first page of this thread if you're interested in seeing what I got! They're pretty awesome!

Thanks so much!!  I'm definitely hoping for some eyeliner, but I'll take whatever :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I had previously done all my swatches with my finger/without primer, so I went ahead and swatched out each shade using a primer and one of the Starlooks brushes (medium dome fluff) and I got an amazing color payoff. I am happy with that as I always use this brush and primer when applying to my eyes. Definitely much happier with this palette now that I see the difference when I'm not sticking my grubby fingers in it and getting the shadows all oily! lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Shadows applied with finger/no primer:

Shadows applied with medium dome fluff brush and eye primer:

Thanks for these! I was disappointed with the lack of pigmentation in the matte shades, but after seeing these pics I swatched them over the Milky Way Infinity eyeliner from September's box, and WOW! The colors really popped.

I had already decided to cancel after this box. I just have too much makeup I'm not using as it is. I hope the loyalty gifts don't make me regret that decision.

@alphaloria You're very welcome! I had a lot of issues with the pigmentation of the matte shades, but I used the trick that someone suggested in an earlier post and used a piece of scotch tape to pull up a layer or two of the matte shadows as I think the oils in my fingers messed them up a bit. Marci, the owner of Starlooks, suggested that I only use a brush to swatch/apply the matte shades, so after I "fixed" them, I rustled them up a bit with my brush and applied them over some primer potion and they were absolutely stunning. Applying with a brush over a primer makes all the difference in the world with these shadows!

Mine came today and knowing that there were problems with the mattes I used a brush and my primer from Saucebox and still had lots of issues with the shadows. I did not do the tape trick to remove layers from the top because I would never do that with my Urban Decay, MAC or other shadows. Since Starlooks is suppose to be on par with those high end brands I don't expect to "work" to get pay off.

• Dry, chalky mattes.
  • Lots of fall out.
  • Lacking pigmentation.

Ideally, out of the box the majority of shadows in this palette are a fail for me. There are so many people who just are not experienced with shadows so they're not going to know what brushes to use or what primers to use. So many people do NOT use a primer and to me a good shadow will work without a primer and a primer will only help keep the shadows in place, pop the color more or create an even base for those who have uneven skintone on the eyelids. The shimmers are better but the mattes that's the big fail for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Mine came today and knowing that there were problems with the mattes I used a brush and my primer from Saucebox and still had lots of issues with the shadows. I did not do the tape trick to remove layers from the top because I would never do that with my Urban Decay, MAC or other shadows. Since Starlooks is suppose to be on par with those high end brands I don't expect to "work" to get pay off.

• Dry, chalky mattes.
  • Lots of fall out.
  • Lacking pigmentation.

Ideally, out of the box the majority of shadows in this palette are a fail for me. There are so many people who just are not experienced with shadows so they're not going to know what brushes to use or what primers to use. So many people do NOT use a primer and to me a good shadow will work without a primer and a primer will only help keep the shadows in place, pop the color more or create an even base for those who have uneven skintone on the eyelids. The shimmers are better but the mattes that's the big fail for me.
Agreed. I used primer and brushes (never touched with my fingers) and have found this particular palette to be far below the MAC/UD level. I'm not complaining, really -- for 17 bucks, this is a good deal! -- but I'd never pay upwards of 90 bucks.

@ohdahlia - ditto.

I think the two products that make Starlooks are the Gem pencils (those are fantastic) and the Tendergloss lipsticks. If I were to add a 3rd item it'd be the lip pencils. Those items are what Starlooks should focus on.

@ohdahlia - ditto.

I think the two products that make Starlooks are the Gem pencils (those are fantastic) and the Tendergloss lipsticks. If I were to add a 3rd item it'd be the lip pencils. Those items are what Starlooks should focus on.

I really like their gel liner pots as well.  Outside of that deviation, I agree 100% with this.

That said, I am happy with this month's box.  I mean...for $17, I think it's a pretty good deal.  I try not to think of it like a $100 palette and keep it in my head that it's about a $25 price point.  My Lorac Mint Edition palette requires primer and a brush in order to have it show up well also, so I just take it at face value.  I paid $17 for this palette and for the Lorac palette and there's more colors in the Starlooks.

I really like their gel liner pots as well.  Outside of that deviation, I agree 100% with this.

That said, I am happy with this month's box.  I mean...for $17, I think it's a pretty good deal.  I try not to think of it like a $100 palette and keep it in my head that it's about a $25 price point.  My Lorac Mint Edition palette requires primer and a brush in order to have it show up well also, so I just take it at face value.  I paid $17 for this palette and for the Lorac palette and there's more colors in the Starlooks.

Agreed. $99 for this palette would be ludicrous. $17 is just about right. I enjoyed the subscription and may rejoin sometime when I feel like I suddenly have to have more makeup, but I don't think I would ever pay full price for most things.

Also agree about the gel liner pots. I love the one we got in November's box, and I would consider buying another one of those in black.

@ohdahlia - ditto.

I definitely agree that the Gem Pencils and Tenderglosses are awesome and their best products. I also really love the liner pots as someone mentioned, and I also really like the blushes that I've received from them. I don't think they're amazing or better than other brands but I use the blush palette they sent us quite frequently!

@ohdahlia - ditto.

I definitely agree that the Gem Pencils and Tenderglosses are awesome and their best products. I also really love the liner pots as someone mentioned, and I also really like the blushes that I've received from them. I don't think they're amazing or better than other brands but I use the blush palette they sent us quite frequently!
Yes! Gem pencils, tenderglosses, and pot liners! And the finishing powder. I also really like their brushes.

The regular eye pencils and lip pencils do nothing for me, but aren't bad. I like the regular lipsticks, too, but they aren't anything out of the ordinary, just nice.  Same with the blushes.

Got my birthday box today. While it's YAY that's it's free, I would never have gone for the gloss. I look dead in nude lips. This will be up for trade if anyone is interested! The eyeliner is nice, tugged a bit, but I don't have any blues in my stash. Wish it was a gem, but beggars can't be choosers! The eyeshadow is nice too, soft gray. Sure I'll play with it & the silver from this month's palette!

UPDATE!

Here's my other e-mail from Marci:

"Rachel, thank you for all this info. I am so excited to hear you are a makeup artist ;-). I'm so used to explaining our products to every day customers who love makeup but don't always know exactly how to test products, so I'm thrilled you don't need the step-by-step. This photo alone is exactly what I needed to see. 

I have attached a photo of swatches from my office- using a palette I pulled from our stock. The two middle swatches are without a primer, and the outside ones are with. As you can see, the pigmentation compared to yours is completely different. I am absolutely sure you received a defected palette (about 1 to 3 of every 500 can turn out like this).    Please let me know the names of your friends had this same issue, and I will send each of you a new palette.   One tip: I have also included a picture of the palette after I used a brush to rustle up the powder. Your new palette should release this much powder when you use the matte shades, so make sure your new palette has this quality ;-)   Also, please note for the future: our matte shades are formulated with an ingredient that bonds with a wet surface (hence the reason it turns up so bright over a primer). Thus, this formula is NOT compatible with oils from the fingers. Any time you finger swatch our matte colors, the oils from the finger tips will create a thick film over the top of the shadow, almost making it a solid surface, and will no longer perform as a powder. You'll have to end up scraping the entire top layer off to the powder below, and this wastes half of your product. So, when using our matte shades, always refrain from using fingers. As a PRO, I am sure you already utilize the perfect brushes though ;-).   Thanks so much for your understanding! Cheers, and happy holidays!"

cleardot.gif
I informed her after her e-mail that I did swatch the matte shades with my finger first, and then with my brush, which is probably why they weren't showing up properly. She understood and continuously apologized and offered again to send me a new palette, as well as any of my friends who had issues with the pigmentation.   I am very pleased that she went out of her way to contact me personally, as well as investigate the palette for herself and come up with some solutions to my issues.   Any owner of a company who goes out of their way to offer a one on one phone conversation as well as back and forth personal e-mails with customers is super impressive to me. Can't say enough good things about my experience today!
That's so nice of her to personally get  back to you and also offer to send you a replacement.

I had previously done all my swatches with my finger/without primer, so I went ahead and swatched out each shade using a primer and one of the Starlooks brushes (medium dome fluff) and I got an amazing color payoff. I am happy with that as I always use this brush and primer when applying to my eyes. Definitely much happier with this palette now that I see the difference when I'm not sticking my grubby fingers in it and getting the shadows all oily! lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Shadows applied with finger/no primer:

Shadows applied with medium dome fluff brush and eye primer:

Quote: Originally Posted by rachelshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @MissJexie What a great response from Marci. Below is my first swatch of the two colors in question. I didn't use my finger first, only brushes and probably about 3 swipes on each. Top is w. primer, bottom w.out. I will say that obviously my shades showed up better than yours, but still the berry/wine color is nothing like hers.

I may take @jaclynsmusings advice and try the scotch tape method and report back if there's any changes!

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  when I tried them with a brush, those two colors look just like the middle two (I didn't use primer)

that is some difference between primer & no primer - the berry color looks like a deep purple!
Yea I'm not sure what's going on with that deep purple shade in that photo. Because I think she swatched 4 different shades: 2 in the middle were the gray and the berry, 2 on the outside were the matte black and some mystery purple color, lol. Even so, she was still super helpful and I'm really happy that she gave me some insight to how to use their matte shades a bit better as well as sending me a new palette without me even asking. We must have exchanged 12 e-mails back and forth. It was pretty wonderful for her to take the time to do that for me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am definitely happier with the quality now. I swatched both of these without primer. The left photo was with my fingers, the right was after I lifted a few layers of product off the top with scotch tape and used a brush. It's obvious there's a huge difference in pigmentation. Looks like my oily fingers were the culprit! haha :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What a difference with the primer!

Got my birthday box today. While it's YAY that's it's free, I would never have gone for the gloss. I look dead in nude lips. This will be up for trade if anyone is interested! The eyeliner is nice, tugged a bit, but I don't have any blues in my stash. Wish it was a gem, but beggars can't be choosers! The eyeshadow is nice too, soft gray. Sure I'll play with it & the silver from this month's palette!

Nice birthday box!

I received a free box today as well for a referral.  I got the same gloss as the above birthday box...and a nude tendergloss lipstick...and a nude lipstick.  Literally three nude lippies :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Very disappointing, but I guess I can't complain given that it was  free box.

I got this same birthday box as well and I really like it alot! :) 

Back