Starlooks Starbox December 2013 *spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by LisaLeah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Totally. Same.

I keep trying to swatch the berry and nothing, I mean NOTHING comes on my brush or my finger.

Zero pigmentation.

It's like "pretend kiddie makeup".

WTF?

I haven't tried the other shades yet though.

But no...you are not alone.

Some of the other matte shades are a bit better, but it's upsetting when there's a few dud shades in a palette, and these aren't just dud shades, I literally can't get anything to come off of these colors. A matte black should be buttery, dark and pigmented, and I rubbed my finger, and my brush into this and it barely shows up. It's like the palest gray tone on my finger. The berry either doesn't show up at ALL, or it's so incredibly pale that there would be no point to ever using it.

For a palette that they charge $99, you'd expect each shade to be of equal, excellent quality. If I paid full-price for this I would be absolutely livid.

Quote: Originally Posted by ohdahlia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Where did y'all read about the rewards program? I haven't seen anything!

There was a little card with our December boxes saying, starting now, every 3 months as a subscriber, we will all get a reward gift valued at $35. Our first reward will be in February 2014. This card went into more details on the back, but this is the card that we received.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some of the other matte shades are a bit better, but it's upsetting when there's a few dud shades in a palette, and these aren't just dud shades, I literally can't get anything to come off of these colors. A matte black should be buttery, dark and pigmented, and I rubbed my finger, and my brush into this and it barely shows up. It's like the palest gray tone on my finger. The berry either doesn't show up at ALL, or it's so incredibly pale that there would be no point to ever using it.

For a palette that they charge $99, you'd expect each shade to be of equal, excellent quality. If I paid full-price for this I would be absolutely livid.
Oh man! I'll have to swatch and see if I get the same results. It may be worth even emailing them about. Their CS seems great. I emailed yesterday about my broken crystal and got a response in like 10 minutes? 

Quote: Originally Posted by rachelshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh man! I'll have to swatch and see if I get the same results. It may be worth even emailing them about. Their CS seems great. I emailed yesterday about my broken crystal and got a response in like 10 minutes? 
I messaged them this morning about the issues, not sure if they'll do anything other than say "sorry! Thanks for your feedback!" as they did before when I told them about the lack of pigment in the gold shade from the November palette.

This time though, it's not just lack of pigment, the pink shade literally does not come off at all. It's like it's made of plastic or something.

I wish I was lying, but this is the matte black and the matte berry shade in the first row. I tried using a brush and my finger to apply a swatch. I even scraped the shadows with the back of my fingernail to see if there was a waxy layer on top keeping me from getting to the shadows. This is the best swatches I could get and this is with multiple swipes back and forth into the pan and onto my skin. This is incredibly bad pigmentation. The berry shade is almost impossible to even see. The matte grey in the palette is DARKER than the matte black.

Some of the shades in this palette are excellent, but the quality of these 2 shadows makes me very weary of recommending their shadows to anyone.

About the matte shades, I've found that using ones fingers causes oil to be left and mats the shadow. if you take a piece of scoth tape and use it to lift off the top layer or two and then try again over a primer you should get much better results. I did. in fact the matte shades used with brushes only makes the shades soooo much user friendly! I'll try to post pics later of those two shades...

About the matte shades, I've found that using ones fingers causes oil to be left and mats the shadow. if you take a piece of scoth tape and use it to lift off the top layer or two and then try again over a primer you should get much better results. I did. in fact the matte shades used with brushes only makes the shades soooo much user friendly! I'll try to post pics later of those two shades...
here are swatches of all the shades, please excuse the sloppiness as I just did these quickly. all are swatches over Starlooks I primer in medium.  the matte berry is even brighter in person! 
top row middle row bottom row

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It came! And it is GORGEOUS.

Palette name is New Years Eve 2014. I was right - the bold colors in November meant a more neutral December. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's a gorgeous palette! I hope I get the same one.

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Here are quick (sloppy, sorry)swatches...done with a finger on bare skin...

A few of the lighter shades are hard to see on my skin but they are nicely pigmented! The pinky berry shade is definitely the sheerest. The silver and the green are amazing! Bottom row...the first is really hard to see but it is nicely pigmented.

middle row...again, you can't really see the first shade on my arm, but I think it'll look nice on the eye.

Top row...wow is the silver pigmented! and I'm in love with the green!  The berry is definitely the most sheer of the palette.
Thanks for posting!

I received a response from Marci, the owner of Starlooks. I don't remember the wording of my exact message, but I explained to her that I did not find the pigmentation of some of the matte shades up to par with the rest of the palette. This was her response:

"Rachel, I'm Marci and the owner of Starlooks. I received your email forwarded from my customer service department, with your concern about the pigmentation of the shades in the 15 shade palette, and I thought I would reach out to you personally. Since I developed these shadows with my overseeing formulation manager in Canada, I have all the answers you could ever want, and I want to help you. I have tips on how to use the matte shades perfectly. If you like, I welcome you to call my office and I will take your call personally. If I sent the tips by email, it would be a mile long. I also want to help cater the use of the colors to yours and your friends skin type, so a personal call would be the perfect solution."

I responded to her message and she gave me LOTS of helpful info. Will post in a separate comment!

Quote: Originally Posted by jaclynsmusings /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried this and it absolutely helped with the pigmentation! You rock! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I received a response from Marci, the owner of Starlooks. I don't remember the wording of my exact message, but I explained to her that I did not find the pigmentation of some of the matte shades up to par with the rest of the palette. This was her response: "Rachel, I'm Marci and the owner of Starlooks. I received your email forwarded from my customer service department, with your concern about the pigmentation of the shades in the 15 shade palette, and I thought I would reach out to you personally. Since I developed these shadows with my overseeing formulation manager in Canada, I have all the answers you could ever want, and I want to help you. I have tips on how to use the matte shades perfectly. If you like, I welcome you to call my office and I will take your call personally. If I sent the tips by email, it would be a mile long. I also want to help cater the use of the colors to yours and your friends skin type, so a personal call would be the perfect solution." I am not available to call her at the moment, but maybe I can talk to her personally at a later date. However I felt it was a little condescending to assume that I needed help in how to apply the shadow "perfectly" as she stated. I'm sure she was being genuine or trying to help, but I wish that she would have taken my concerns with the quality a bit more seriously rather than saying basically, "Call me and I'll tell you the right way to apply my shadows."
Have you watched any of her videos? That is pretty much how she talks. I don't think the tone is in any way related to your question. That's just Marci.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you watched any of her videos? That is pretty much how she talks. I don't think the tone is in any way related to your question. That's just Marci.

I haven't, but in our further e-mails I've noticed that, so I removed my previous assumption. I'm about to share the helpful info she sent to me, which is awesome. She's a peach.

UPDATE!

Here's my other e-mail from Marci:

"Rachel, thank you for all this info. I am so excited to hear you are a makeup artist ;-). I'm so used to explaining our products to every day customers who love makeup but don't always know exactly how to test products, so I'm thrilled you don't need the step-by-step. This photo alone is exactly what I needed to see. 

I have attached a photo of swatches from my office- using a palette I pulled from our stock. The two middle swatches are without a primer, and the outside ones are with. As you can see, the pigmentation compared to yours is completely different. I am absolutely sure you received a defected palette (about 1 to 3 of every 500 can turn out like this).    Please let me know the names of your friends had this same issue, and I will send each of you a new palette.   One tip: I have also included a picture of the palette after I used a brush to rustle up the powder. Your new palette should release this much powder when you use the matte shades, so make sure your new palette has this quality ;-)   Also, please note for the future: our matte shades are formulated with an ingredient that bonds with a wet surface (hence the reason it turns up so bright over a primer). Thus, this formula is NOT compatible with oils from the fingers. Any time you finger swatch our matte colors, the oils from the finger tips will create a thick film over the top of the shadow, almost making it a solid surface, and will no longer perform as a powder. You'll have to end up scraping the entire top layer off to the powder below, and this wastes half of your product. So, when using our matte shades, always refrain from using fingers. As a PRO, I am sure you already utilize the perfect brushes though ;-).   Thanks so much for your understanding! Cheers, and happy holidays!"

cleardot.gif
I informed her after her e-mail that I did swatch the matte shades with my finger first, and then with my brush, which is probably why they weren't showing up properly. She understood and continuously apologized and offered again to send me a new palette, as well as any of my friends who had issues with the pigmentation.   I am very pleased that she went out of her way to contact me personally, as well as investigate the palette for herself and come up with some solutions to my issues.   Any owner of a company who goes out of their way to offer a one on one phone conversation as well as back and forth personal e-mails with customers is super impressive to me. Can't say enough good things about my experience today!

To me finger swatches and brush swatches are completely different however finger swatches can indicated how pigmented a product is. I'm the type who likes to apply things lightly as that will tell me if the product is indeed pigmented. If I have to have a heavy finger or hand in picking up product/color then the product is not pigmented for my liking.

when I tried them with a brush, those two colors look just like the middle two (I didn't use primer) 

that is some difference between primer & no primer - the berry color looks like a deep purple!

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  when I tried them with a brush, those two colors look just like the middle two (I didn't use primer) 

that is some difference between primer & no primer - the berry color looks like a deep purple!
Yea I'm not sure what's going on with that deep purple shade in that photo. Because I think she swatched 4 different shades: 2 in the middle were the gray and the berry, 2 on the outside were the matte black and some mystery purple color, lol. Even so, she was still super helpful and I'm really happy that she gave me some insight to how to use their matte shades a bit better as well as sending me a new palette without me even asking. We must have exchanged 12 e-mails back and forth. It was pretty wonderful for her to take the time to do that for me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am definitely happier with the quality now. I swatched both of these without primer. The left photo was with my fingers, the right was after I lifted a few layers of product off the top with scotch tape and used a brush. It's obvious there's a huge difference in pigmentation. Looks like my oily fingers were the culprit! haha :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@MissJexie What a great response from Marci. Below is my first swatch of the two colors in question. I didn't use my finger first, only brushes and probably about 3 swipes on each. Top is w. primer, bottom w.out. I will say that obviously my shades showed up better than yours, but still the berry/wine color is nothing like hers. 

I may take @jaclynsmusings advice and try the scotch tape method and report back if there's any changes! 

I had previously done all my swatches with my finger/without primer, so I went ahead and swatched out each shade using a primer and one of the Starlooks brushes (medium dome fluff) and I got an amazing color payoff. I am happy with that as I always use this brush and primer when applying to my eyes. Definitely much happier with this palette now that I see the difference when I'm not sticking my grubby fingers in it and getting the shadows all oily! lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Shadows applied with finger/no primer:

Shadows applied with medium dome fluff brush and eye primer:

Back