THE BEST AND WORST OF ELF

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I just have a few things from elf. I like the set of three elf eye primers I have. Skin tone is my favorite because it doesn't have shimmer. I like to add my NYX base over it and my eyeshadow stays. I the beauty clutch that has eyeshadows, blush etc. The blushes are alright but I'm not much of a blush person. The eye shadows in it are a hit or miss. I don't mind the ones that don't have a lot of pigmentation because sometimes I just want a little wash when using the bright colors.

I have the oil blotting sheets. I have yet to use......I'm going to finish up my clean and clear ones first.

The HD blushes and the concealer are my favorites from what I've tried thus far.

The eyeliner pencil was no good, smears easily.

I actually don't like the eyelash curler. It actually cut into and broke both of the curling pads that came with it so I don't doubt the girl up above who said it cut her lashes off.

I HATED the pink lemonade all over cover stick.. it added NO color to my cheeks at all and looked horrible and chalky on my lips.

I LOVE their $3.00 brushes. They work great!!

I love their Mineral Infused Face Primer, Custom Compact (holds 4 shadows for $1), Vanilla Coconut Body Butter which is now discontinued (grumble), Studio Blush in Candid Coral, and their Mineral Eyeshadow Primer.

I like their Shine Eraser (blotting sheets), Nourishing Cuticle Pen, and the $1 Eye Shadow Brushes.

I dislike their All Over Color Stick, Shimmery Facial Whip, and Lip Primer and Plumper.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love their Mineral Infused Face Primer, Custom Compact (holds 4 shadows for $1), Vanilla Coconut Body Butter which is now discontinued (grumble), Studio Blush in Candid Coral, and their Mineral Eyeshadow Primer.

I like their Shine Eraser (blotting sheets), Nourishing Cuticle Pen, and the $1 Eye Shadow Brushes.

I dislike their All Over Color Stick, Shimmery Facial Whip, and Lip Primer and Plumper.
They have Vanilla Coconut Facial Lotion wipes now!

Originally Posted by PurpleStrawberi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They have Vanilla Coconut Facial Lotion wipes now!
They don't have the same scent or feel despite sharing the same name.

I like their Studio brushes a lot, and that's it. The mineral lipsticks are just ok...I haven't thrown mine out, but I wish I hadn't bought them when I can get something I love for a couple more bucks. I don't find myself using them much. I think the eyeshadows, blushes, and lipglosses are crap. I bought a bunch of the Beauty On The Go Studio palettes that contain those around Christmas and I never use them. I might have thought they were great if I was in high school and had never tried anything better. But even for the low prices they charge, I think these are just a waste.

Really like:

• essentials eyelid primers
  • essentials foundation brushes for clay masks and facials...I can abuse them without guilt!
  • blush/bronzer duo - that thing is lasting forever!
  • studio brushes: smudge, angled eyeliner, crease. Firm but not scratchy

Not so hot on:

• eyeshadow palettes - random color payoff and textures...too inconsistent from batch to batch
  • Lip glosses and blushes in the "studio on the go" palettes
  • studio stippling brush - very loose...not good for stippling on foundation...good for loose powder where you need to a very light hand.

Never tried, kind off scared to, but would like opinions on:

• studio flawless finish foundations
  • studio concealer pencil w/brush
  • studio radiance enhancer (dupes for high/moon beams?)

Just ordered and excited to try:

• small stippling brush
  • Gotta Glow (dupe for NARS albatross?)
  • Jumbo eyeshadow sticks (dupe for NYX?)

I absolutely LOOOVE their cream eyeliner (I use it for everyday occasions). I hate their eyeshadows cause no matter how much product you put, you will hardly be able to see the colors. Their nail polishes are kinda meh. The colors are never what you expect of them to be. I'll say that right now. 
icon_rolleyes.gif

• Studio brushes
  • Lip Exfoliator (loved)
  • Lg Brush holder
  • Small Compact (stored my ipsy color)
  • Essential blending, eye shadow brushes, defining eye brush even though i never use the brushes for what they are intended for.

Dislikes

• All over color stick
  • Conditioning lip balm ( I actually threw out the product burn the h*ll out my lips and because I loved the container so much made my own lip balm to put in)
  • Essential all over face brush (scratchy)
  • Essential blushing brush (scratchy)

And since I just had the 50% off code I ordered the zit zapper, blemish control power and mineral concealer want to see if it really works

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love the primers, concealers, brushes, blushes, and eyeshadow palettes (some are a bit chalky, yes, but I get enough use out of the large palettes when it comes to color variety that it makes it worth it...and I've always had good luck with them with primer and/or applying them wet). I don't have the budget to buy every color I might possibly want in higher end eyeshadow, so I keep one of the 100 palettes on hand for when I want to play with different colors. I also like the polishes for the price!

I dislike the lipglosses and lipsticks. I like the mineral foundation formula, but they don't have a shade light enough for me. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

In all, I think ELF is a great cheap option.
Why not try the BH Cosmetics 88 palette, I think it's quite pigmented and very cheap :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Daisy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why not try the BH Cosmetics 88 palette, I think it's quite pigmented and very cheap :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I have 2 of the 120 palettes from BH, and one of the 88 palettes (and a couple from Coastal Scents, too). :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I love them and think they are better quality than ELF, BUT I maintain that it's still a good deal to get the ELF 100 palette for 10 bucks if you are looking for a wide variety of colors...they can be bought in store around here, while BH and Coastal Scents, I have to order online. But the post you quoted was a year ago, and at the time I had only the ELF and a Coastal Scents, when it comes to large palettes.

I just got two polishes at Target last week and I LOVE them. There aren't any names on them and I can't find them online... One is a black/charcoal gray with silver rainbow sparkles that I ADORE. I don't wear polish much and lately I can't stop myself and this I've had on my nails constantly since I got it. The other is a gold glitter with a larger gold glitter in it. I like it but not as much as the other. For $2 a piece I can't be happier. The lids are hard to get off though and the brushes are small but again $2...

I ordered a lot and I love 99% of what I got.I have another over 300$ of different products in my cart waiting for another 50% off everything. Even though you only get a Max of 100$ taken off. My first order was over 300$.so many products to name but, if you want to know what I got and opinion. Let me know.

Their studio brushes are good, the HD powder is supposed to be comparable to the MUFE product, and I've been using their mineral eye primer for ages now. I don't have that many, but the few loose studio eyeshadows I have are pretty good too, I don't find them chalky (but I tend to go for the more shimmery variations, so maybe that's why?)

I really like ELF and most of their products. Very cost-effective, even shipping to Canada, especially if you use a code for a deal (there's always something around).

So far have enjoyed their brushes (studio and the $1 ones), lip gloss, eyeshadows (for the most part, I don't really do dramatic eyes so subtle is good), primers, eyeliners, mineral foundation, lotion wipes.

The misses for me have been mascara, nail polish (ok quality, but the online swatches don't really match the IRL product), and the nail polish remover wipes were TERRIBLE.

Overall: 7.5/10

I have only been using the eye primer from the primer/sealer stick. Now I need to use the sealer after your comments.
smilehappyyes.gif

I haven't tried a ton of elf but I'm a very big fan of their eyelid primer! I also have an eyeshadow brush of theirs that works perfectly for me. I've tried their concealer and didn't like it at all. I've stayed away from their eyeshadows because I don't think I've ever heard anything good about them.

I've tried a plethora of the ELF products and I have to say, it's all and all a pretty fantastic brand!

I looove:

- studio blushes: Granted some are a bit chalky, the gotta glow highlighter is gorgeous and the pink passion shade is very unique.

- essentials/mineral lipsticks: essentials are slightly drier but have great coverage whereas the mineral lipsticks are more slick and comfortable to wear

- HD blushes: great value for what you get.. I don't think I'll ever run out!

- small tapered brush: absolutely essential for applying creams or liquid highlighter, bronzer, etc

- mineral eyeshadows: so many gorgeous colors, yet quite shimmery

- maximum coverage concealer: really does cover all my blemishes, very satisfied

- double ended eyebrow pencil: great color and the highlighter shade works to lift the eyebrows and define them

- lip exfoliator: does exactly what it says! awesome

Dislike:

- acne fighting foundation: It goes on great and gives a truly flawless finish with high coverage but within a few hours of wear..IT CRACKED on my skin.  It looked like I had a fresh sun burn on my face and other people even commented.  I feel as if the salicylic acid possibly dried out my skin (I have very oily skin), so I can't say I recommend this one

- mineral infused primer: found this to be too slick and does not provide a very smooth surface to apply foundation onto, more of a "wet feeling"

My favorites are the flawless concealer, face kabuki, angled blush, and powder brushes from the studio line. I use all of these on a daily bases and would absolutely repurchase!

Back