THE BEST AND WORST OF ELF

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by TwirlyGirly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh heck - I *knew* I forgot something!

You're absolutely right, probablyedible....e.l.f. lashes are the best deal around. I wear:

e.l.f. Essential Dramatic Lash Kit - $1.00

With proper care, I can get 5-6 wearings out of each pair. I don't use the adhesive included with the lashes, because like the adhesive included with MOST brands of false lashes, it's lousy. I use DUO.

I don't use the adhesive that comes with the lashes either.  They are the worst just like any other fake lashes that come with adhesive!  Aww man I wish you could see the holiday deal eyelashes I got a little big ago.  I went back to see if they still have it and nope, it's gone!  They were such a steal when I used the promo code for it.  $1.50 for three pairs! 

I love their eye primer, blush and bronzer duo, brushes, single pan shadows, and hypershine glosses. 

I don't like the studio matte lip colors, so drying! Also,  the flawless eyeshadow quad in 'Happy Hour' wasn't the best, but it's ok, a bit chalky and some fall out.

I just used my honey and milk wipes and I LOVVVEEEEE TTTHHEEEEEEEM! Extremely hydrating and removed waterproof eyeliner with a breeze! I would recommend them to anyone!

I got about 20 items during the Black Friday sale, but I haven't had a chance to really try stuff out yet (finals). I will definitely add my 2 cents to this thread when I have tried them. I've enjoyed looking through all the mini reviews. 
claps.gif

I've tried a few products... Far from all of them.

The good: studio blushes, studio brushes, the 'regular' brushes (white handle), duo eye shadow cream, brightening eye colour, mineral booster, mineral lipstick, eyebrow stencil kit, eyelid primer, contouring blush and bronzing powder (this one's amazing).

The bad: nail polish (crappy coverage and chips quickly), shimmer eye pencil, all over cover stick (packaging broke instantly so couldn't push the stick upwards), studio pressed powder (broke me out like hell).

I think all in all the products have been pretty good, but with e.l.f. it's a bit like Russian Roulette.

Quote: Originally Posted by emveris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've tried a few products... Far from all of them.

The good: studio blushes, studio brushes, the 'regular' brushes (white handle), duo eye shadow cream, brightening eye colour, mineral booster, mineral lipstick, eyebrow stencil kit, eyelid primer, contouring blush and bronzing powder (this one's amazing).

The bad: nail polish (crappy coverage and chips quickly), shimmer eye pencil, all over cover stick (packaging broke instantly so couldn't push the stick upwards), studio pressed powder (broke me out like hell).

I think all in all the products have been pretty good, but with e.l.f. it's a bit like Russian Roulette.

I second the studio blushes!  Very pigmented and silky smooth.  I also like the studio brushes and brightening eye shadow quads.  I picked up a 3$ mosaic palette with shimmery nudes and peaches that is pretty nice too.

Oh, and the studio makeup remover wipes!  It is the only eye makeup remover I can use that doesn't burn my eyeballs like fire.  I buy them in bulk from drugstore.com, so I can use my cash back to buy the next round of them! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I actually haven't bought a lot of ELF products,  but I do really like the few that I've tried. I have one of the baked eyeshadows, I believe it's in the shade "toast" or "toasted" (forgive me, I'm not home to look). I really like it, but I will say that I've never used it by itself...I usually add it over a cream base and it's really pretty. I also LOVE the eyeshadow C brush. It's perfect for adding color to the outer corner of my eye.  

Love the studio cream eyeliner.  I have very oily eyelids, so my eye makeup usually melts within a couple of hours, but this stuff lasts all day.

i lved the meium red lipstain for the 2 uses i got out of the dried out marker. i need a dark lipstain that will remain thru my live broadcasts where i'm constantly speaking, sipping coffee, and eating!

Really like:
  • essentials eyelid primers
  • essentials foundation brushes for clay masks and facials...I can abuse them without guilt!
  • blush/bronzer duo - that thing is lasting forever!
  • studio brushes: smudge, angled eyeliner, crease. Firm but not scratchy
Not so hot on:

• eyeshadow palettes - random color payoff and textures...too inconsistent from batch to batch
  • Lip glosses and blushes in the "studio on the go" palettes
  • studio stippling brush - very loose...not good for stippling on foundation...good for loose powder where you need to a very light hand.
Never tried, kind off scared to, but would like opinions on:

• studio flawless finish foundations
  • studio concealer pencil w/brush
  • studio radiance enhancer (dupes for high/moon beams?)
Just ordered and excited to try:

• small stippling brush
  • Gotta Glow (dupe for NARS albatross?)
  • Jumbo eyeshadow sticks (dupe for NYX?)
The Studio Flawless Finish Foundation is definitely worth it. I have a hard time finding a good foundation and this one actually works great. I get full coverage out of it. I'm excited to try their new Studio BB Creme. The only item I've been disappointed in was the essentials eye shades. All the studio ones are fabulous. And also all the tinted moisturizers suck! I have almost one of everything off of their website. The prices are all worth it no matter if something works for you or not.

Hey there! 

I'm in NYC and the E.L.F. store is a huge weakness... Love so many products... meh about others and there are some straight up terrible items too. 

The Terrible

- All the mascaras. 

- The cream eyeliners. 
 - The jumbo eye sticks (that could be me sucking at using those though). 

The Meh

- The nailpolish. It's fast to wear and chip and the caps break often. The consistency is different with every bottle, even if it's the same color. 

- The lipstains - lovely for a couple hours - but you can get better staying power with revlon and other low priced brands. 

- The mineral lipsticks - They feel amazing but don't stay put for very long. 

- The baked eyeshadow. Just didn't work. I have heard that you can use them better if you use wet brushes. 

- liquid eyeliners - just mediocre. 

- liquid PEN eyeliners - they are okay if you can do your line in one go, If you have to go back, the line just will not stay put. sticks to the pen and pulls up. 

- Essential lipstick - I've had one of these break on me. That sucked. And they don't wear very long. But good color, smooth finish, pleasant to wear. 

The Wonderful... 

- Mineral infused face primer... smooth, slightly shimmery, no zits! 

- HD blush... used well and it is AWESOME. Stays put, great pigmentation. 
 - Lip exfoliator - sugary, mmm... does it's job. 

- All of the black brushes. 

- mineral eye primer, fantastic. Love it. no down side. 

- eye primer - the not mineral one is also good, but the mineral one lasts longer. 

- Chubby lip crayons - I love lip crayons and these are lovely. Smooth, pleasant smell/taste and great colors. The color doesn't last forever when applied, but the application is enjoyable so I don't mind. 

- Studio matte lip color - lasts and looks beautiful, good colors too. Though be careful on the website, they don't get the colors right on there. 

I haven't been a big fan of the ELF makeup itself.  But I have a couple of their brushes, and they're really great.  Their blush brush is just the right size for me - I have a really small face, so bigger blush brushes make me look like a clown.  Small brushes just put tight little streaks on my cheekbones. The ELF blush brush is the perfect size for me, the bristles hold up really well, and I've had no shedding.  And for the price, I can stock up so that I always have a clean one in my rotation.

Also, their contour eye brush makes a great blending brush - again, even out of my better brushes, the ELF one is my favorite.  So yeah, not crazy about their makeup, but I love their brushes.

I love elf products and I have tried a lot as well. Here are my thoughts on the best and worst.

Best:

- Flawless Finish Foundation: This foundation doesn't get enough love. It gives a nice, natural and a bit dewy finish. Lasts all day and feels light. I wish it was more yellow for my undertone though, but it works. The downside is that it contains mineral oil. 

- Studio Blushes: I have candid coral and it gives me a nice glowy look in natural lighting. It's a bit of gold/pink. Don't buy the fuchsia fusion though. I made a mistake and bought a blush full of thick glitter. Ugh.

- Eyebrow Kit: I use this everyday for my brows and mostly the wax side. The powder side makes my brow looks red for some reason.

- Eyeshadow Duos: My fav is the berry mix color. Use it for my everyday look. 

Worst:

- Baked Blush: Got the darkest color in rich rose and it does not show up as a blush. I dig into the product and still nothing. I also have light skin so I don’t see why that should be a problem. Also the color looks like a bronzer with some orange in it. It does not perform as a blush. Maybe a highlighter…

- All Over Color Stick: It sucks and I don’t understand the concept of this.

- Mascaras: All of their mascara sucks. I tried the lengthening&volumizing one and tossed it in the trash. It does nothing for the lash and is really gooey out the bottle. Gross.

- Essential Lipsticks: I’ve only tried the red one and it is very messy to work with. Also have a pink one, but it makes my lips look super weird.

The rest of the products are not the best, or worst. Or some that I haven’t tried.

I got the brushes and the primer/plumper in my stocking. The brushes are such a steal! But both the primer/pumper have come detached from the stick and are now just sitting on top of it. I'm not going to complain since my husband only spent a few bucks on it. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi, About a year ago, I was excited about trying Elf products, mostly the ones EmilyNoel suggested on her youtube site. As for the coconut body moisturizer cloths, I did get them and they worked a little but not enough to fully moisturize or rather properly moisturize. The scent was ok and after reading the reviews, I was ready for it to be magnificent. As for the other items I bought from Elf, they were mostly disappointing; the blemish powder with brush caused more blemishes and worsened the one I had. However, one decent item was the Mineral Powder Cleanser which you mix with a little water and are able to wash your face pretty thoroughly within 30 seconds. I would recommend that one product and it cost $5.

The Elf brushes have appeared to lessen in quality. I stocked up on my favorites and they were obviously altered to make them even cheaper-quality since becoming so popular.

The lipsticks and glosses were low quality and coverage was chaulky just not up to par.

I am a MUA so I am extra picky. Plus I am 50 yrs old and am always looking for anti-aging products and skincare mixed with cosmetics like Tarte, IT Cosmetics and Josie Maran and I'm also crazy for Mally Beauty. If I was in my early 20s and broke, I would probably try to find decent products on Elf but at this point, after spending around $100 in the last 2 years, I really am NOT impressed. Hope this advice helps. Happy New Year!

I have their baked eyeshadow in bark, which i quite like, but that's the only one from the baked eyeshadow range that I've tried. I absolutely hate their brushes...yuck. Have one blush that I haven't even worn because I think I might have grabbed a "too-light-for-me" one. 

I've purchased face and eye brushes, lip gloss, HD blush, powder blush and blush/contour sets, tinted moisturizer, setting mist, brow gel, face primer and cream eye shadows. The only things I really liked were their $1 eye shadow brushes and cream eye shadows. I want to like their products but I haven't had good luck with them.

I like the blush/bronzer combo in Turks and Calicos, and the studio brushes... especially the angled blush brush and pointed foundation brush which i use for contouring. Not too keen on much else - and I have tried A LOT of their products.

Good: Mineral eye shadows, HD Setting Powder, their new Moisturizing lipsticks, HD blushes, studio blushes and their $1 eyelashes

Bad: any of their lip glosses, blush and bronze duo (the one that's suppose to be a dupe for NARS laguna/orgasm), color correcting powder

Back