THE BEST AND WORST OF ELF

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried a few elf products and feel like with elf it's a ok brand. So far I've tried the blush, lip gloss, lip stick, eye lash curler, and lip stain. The hyper shine gloss and I have a love hate relationship. The price is good and it has a build able color but is sometimes crappy and annoyingly sticky. The lip stick i am a fan of. It is very Matte and is only one dollar. I recommend it. I recently got the lip stain and its another love hate product. It's build able and cheap but it leaves back the stain residue and took me awhile to get the color I wanted. The lash curler is decent. It's cheap but can sometimes be harsh. Sometimes it hurt my eye. The blush I love!! Very beautiful color selection and very good color payoff

There's 3 ELF brushes I absolutely love (and I have tons of high-end, low-end, etc. brushes).. they are the e.l.f. Essential Eye Shadow Brush, e.l.f. Essential Foundation Brush, and the e.l.f. Studio Pointed Foundation brush.

I don't use either of the foundation brushes for applying foundation. I use the essential foundation brush (I have 2) for applying my creams to my face. I hate getting them on my hands and one of my creams is a medication so I definitely don't want that on my hands. The other essential foundation brush I use to put sunscreen, primer, regular lotion etc. on.

I use the studio pointed foundation brush to blend in my under eye concealer. It fits perfect in my under eye area.

I also love the blush in candid coral and baked blush in rich rose. Both of these blushes are great. I use them all the time just as often as I use any of my other blushes. Very pigmented and beautiful color. Long lasting as well. Lots of folks compare the candid coral to Nars orgasm and I wouldn't make this comparison, they are both beautiful blushes but both very different. Candid coral is much more of a coral shade while I see orgasm as a bit more pinky.

I have the e.l.f. 100 shadow pallet and rarely use it. I have used it a couple of times and it's been okay. I am going to keep it of course, it's always good to have on hand if I need a specific color and I don't have it.

I do have the eyelash curler and I hate it, not good. I did recently realize though that my eyelashes don't need curling so I stopped doing it.

I love the Studio Powder Brush and the Mineral Angled Blush Brush... they are very soft and durable! I also really like the Studio Blush/Bronzer duos, the Studio Blush in Pink Passion and the Studio Eyebrow Kit! I seriously think they are worth much more than $3!!!

I didn't really enjoy the eyeshadows or lipsticks/glosses I've tried though.

Confession: I am an ELF fangirl, they are my favorite low-priced brand.

BEST:

Lipsticks, I have liked all that I have tried so far price range $1-$5

Studio Blush, I don't really wear blush (rosacea), but the Studio blushes are awesome

Lip Liner, the one with the lip brush on one end.

Large Lip Crayons

Essential eye lid primer ...only $1 and Holy Cats it works great!!

Makeup Remover Pen $3.....simply brilliant

Brushes, mine are still soft and not shedding after 6 months use

NOT SO HOT:

Eye Shadows have been a hit-or-miss item

Cream liner is nice, but dries out fast, fast, fast

Mascaras, not a fan

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just bought the elf stipple brush at target and i love it. i love it just as much as my urban decay good karma foundation brush!
I love the stipple brush too! I also adore the large lip crayons, specifically in Sangria Starters.

I love, love, love their face products but have found their eyeshadows to be a disappointment over all. I just don't feel that they are very pigmented. They are powdery, sometimes chalky, and they often crease on me quickly and I always wear an eye primer not to mention I have Combo/Dry skin so it really shouldn't be doing that in the first place. I will stick to their blushes, highlighters, and bronzers and leave the rest for the ladies out there who enjoy it.

I've tried a number of things from Elf over the years since they first came out back in 06 or 07 (somewhere around there) but the only 2 things I've repurchased has been the clear brow/mascara gel for $1, and later from the Studio line their Mineral Infused mascara for $3. It's funny to think there was a time when all Elf products were all $1. ;P

I like those sticky lip glosses in the squeeze tube. The ones packaged individually smell like grape bubblegum. I love those. The ones in the sets smell like spoiled raspberries. Ick. Other than the lip glosses, I really haven't tried many E.L.F. products because I'm trying to stay away from Made In China, although I am not so successful with that so far.

The good:

Most of the Studio brushes - I prefer natural hair for powder & synthetics for cream, and the Studio line are my favorite synthetics.

3-in-1 mascara - never smudges!

HD blush - so pigmented, which is awesome - but not easy/quick so I don't use it often.

The bad:

Essential line of brushes

Eyeshdow primer - did not work at ALL for me

Most of the eyeshadows I've tried have been meh to terrible

Translucent pressed powder - texture was awful

I bought my first ELF product about a month ago after it was featured on a look in a magazine. It was a blush in a fuchsia shade and very pretty. I went out and bought it the next day along with a few brushes. I really liked it. Last week I got another blush is a warmer shade and more brushes. Very pleased. I don't think, though, I would try anything else. I am just very particular (and very happy) with the brands of other products I used and wouldn't chance it.

LOVE: the Studio blush and bronzer set, all the lip products, the Shimmering Facial Whip and Color Stick. I'm a lip junkie and I can't beat the price for a quick fix. Plus, I love the grape bouquet in the tube glosses! I also like to get the Elements compact and the four blush pans--they make a great all over face color, and Coy wears decently as a quick eye color. DISLIKE: the face powder in the Essentials line. It was fine when they first came out, but the formula changed so it's now too orangy for my pasty cheeks. The mascaras are also big losers on the list, as are the nail polish pads.

I bought some stuff about 2 weeks ago. I really like their translucent pressed powder.. I also like their duo blush bronzer in st. lucia.

The one thing that I love from them are their brushes. On a consistent basis I use 2 of their eyeshadow brushes (blending & lid brush), pointed foundation brush, & regular foundation brush.

I love ELF! 

I have several brushes....ok a TON of brushes LOL
Love their Foundations - the coverage is great especially considering the price

I do like their eyeshadows - some I do find the pigment is lacking but i find as long as I prime before hand and build it a bit they are pretty good
Love their concealer pallettes

Waiting for some new stuff to come in! Excited! 

I have a couple brushes that I really like, including an eyeshadow brush I use every day.

I've been trying the zit zapper, but haven't noticed a different. I have the Essential Tone Correcting Concealer and I love the fruity smell. It's a decent colour match, but it's the smell that makes me love it. I hate the normal smell of concealer and foundation. Does their foundation smell this good?

E.L.F. has free shipping today online and I had to place an order. I've been trying for weeks to find else lip products in the stores around me and they never have the full line of stuff..

I bought...

Lip balm - nude (comes in a little pot 2.00)

Lip Gloss - sorority girl & trendsetter & Fairy

HD blush- headliner

Brushes - smudge eye sponge, eye crease brush

Single eyeshadow - purple passion

Daily moisture stick

Brightening eye shadow color - butternut & day 2 night

Duo eyeshadow - Berry Mix

Blush - Blushing rose & flushed

Lipstick - Classy

Anyone have any of this? I'll be sure to let ya'll know how I like things when it comes.

I got a plumping lip gloss and I was rather disappointed. In fact this was the very first product I bought and the products made the brand seem like a cheap rip off of the real thing so I never ever used any other ELF products again. Instead of having collagen in it the lip gloss had mint in it which gave the tingling sensation but not the plumping effect.

I have the Butternut quad, several of the crease brushes and Classy lipstick, I love them all. The brushes are such a fave that I bought multiples. Classy is a great everyday color for me. Another great lipstick is Voodoo which is a rich burgandy shade.

i have a few elf professional brushes... they are not bad for less than $5 a piece, my favorite is the kabuki one. but do not try their elf face primer. i wanted to try the elf one since it was on sale for really cheap and it looked like smashbox's photo finish... boy i wish i never bought it lols. it made me break out like crazy and i havent had a pimple for monthsss. =(

I've been using the face primer for a few years and never noticed a break out. I only use it if I feel my makeup will need extra staying power though. I love it.

Back