The confessional/oops I slipped up thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had just convinced my self that I truly don't need any more makeup at the moment but I can feel myself jonesing for some new skin care stuff.. bleh I hate having bad skin!
I'm guilty of this too. I'm always looking for that new, amazing product that will make all my skin troubles go away. So when I'm depressed about my skin I end up splurging on new skin care items. I really should stop doing that... 
sdrop.gif

I might slip up any minute so I decided to go ahead and post. I told myself to wait until the end of this month to buy Spring clothing and shoes, but I might buy a pair of sandals and ankle boots. I'm telling myself I deserve it since I wrote a really long paper last week, I'm ahead at work, and I avoided a beauty sale last week.

Okay, I just bought a ton of stuff from Etude House (their new "Sweet Recipe" collection- it's sooo cute!) My logic is that it isn't widely available- Sephora and Ulta don't sell the brand. I'm hoping the Korean supermarket near me doesn't sell it though. I just had to get it because I don't have any Asian cosmetics and bloggers always rave about certain brands. (Can I blame it on peer pressure?)

Now I'm looking at ebay (gasp) at some Chanel blushes that I would like backups of , but are of course double the price! I'm trying to tell myself that 1.) I don't need them. 2.) There are always new (and sometimes better) products coming out. 3.) My wallet (and tax return) will be no more.

Today I was at Costco and saw a 5 packs of EOS lip balms for $10.99 and I had to have it even though I need another lip balm like I need a hole in my head. I also placed an order from Birchbox for Benefit Fakeup because I needed some more concealer and I'm getting a free mascara with it.

Originally Posted by luckycharms /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay, I just bought a ton of stuff from Etude House (their new "Sweet Recipe" collection- it's sooo cute!) My logic is that it isn't widely available- Sephora and Ulta don't sell the brand. I'm hoping the Korean supermarket near me doesn't sell it though. I just had to get it because I don't have any Asian cosmetics and bloggers always rave about certain brands. (Can I blame it on peer pressure?)

Now I'm looking at ebay (gasp) at some Chanel blushes that I would like backups of , but are of course double the price! I'm trying to tell myself that 1.) I don't need them. 2.) There are always new (and sometimes better) products coming out. 3.) My wallet (and tax return) will be no more.
ughhhh i've been sooo tempted by that collection as well! i've been scouring ebay for prices that are cheap enough that i don't feel guilty buying them

I slipped up this week. I bought a Urban Decay Shadow and 2 Nyx shadows (they were BOGO 1/2 off!). Then I bought 2 OPI nail polishes from the Oz line.

And I'm not gonna lie, I'm planning on buying the nude color from the Fergie line by Wet and Wild. It looks so nice for only $3!

I slipped up because of the Sephora VIB offer. Dangit, it's like they knew that emerald green was my favorite color. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I slipped up because of the Sephora VIB offer. Dangit, it's like they knew that emerald green was my favorite color. 
That was tempting for sure! I have soooo many make up bags, but I did have a cart all set up and ready to go. 

UGH i caved and bought two Stylish Surprise Apparel grab bags from Modcloth :-x.  The whole reason i'm saving money is to buy a dress from modcloth lol so this was me hoping that I'll get one for $15 instead lol

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

UGH i caved and bought two Stylish Surprise Apparel grab bags from Modcloth :-x.  The whole reason i'm saving money is to buy a dress from modcloth lol so this was me hoping that I'll get one for $15 instead lol
lol I did the same. Just one though, don't want to be TOO risky.

I've slipped up bad. I did a spring makeup and clothing haul yesterday. I'm just looking at all of the stuff I brought and thinking "Dang!" I do so well most of the month and then I slip up at the very end of the month. I I feel bad when I look at my budget and realize that I need to do a low/no-buy next month. I need to end this cycle :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've slipped up bad. I did a spring makeup and clothing haul yesterday. I'm just looking at all of the stuff I brought and thinking "Dang!"

I do so well most of the month and then I slip up at the very end of the month. I I feel bad when I look at my budget and realize that I need to do a low/no-buy next month. I need to end this cycle
frown.gif
I've done really terribly in March also.  This no/low-buy thing is a lot harder than I expected.  I guess I didn't realize how much I LOVE shopping for makeup, it's become this huge hobby of mine to research new products, look up swatches and reviews, find it in-store, decide whether to buy or not.... starting to think I'll need some other hobby before I'll really be able to cut down on beauty-related spending.

I slipped up a little and got a new lip butter and makeup remover. I needed the makeup remover because I finally ran out of the one I hated and I needed the lip butter because I was/am having awful boy trouble and I had a coupon haha

I slipped up a little and got a new lip butter and makeup remover. I needed the makeup remover because I finally ran out of the one I hated and I needed the lip butter because I was/am having awful boy trouble and I had a coupon haha
I know what you mean.
I've done really terribly in March also.  This no/low-buy thing is a lot harder than I expected.  I guess I didn't realize how much I LOVE shopping for makeup, it's become this huge hobby of mine to research new products, look up swatches and reviews, find it in-store, decide whether to buy or not.... starting to think I'll need some other hobby before I'll really be able to cut down on beauty-related spending.
Yeah doing a low/no buy is hard. I just started using makeup a few months ago. It's hard to stop once you start.

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it took me about 3 months of being on a no makeup buy to stop craving buying it everyday. i still look for sales everyday but i rarely ever feel like i NEED to buy any of it anymore! so don't worry, you'll get there, stay strong!

Eh, I kind of blew it this month and I'm bummed. January and February were both successful and I was really encouraged for making it through without slipping up. But I bought 2 lipsticks and 6 nail polishes earlier this week. I did it without even thinking, which was kind of alarming after the fact. I don't want to dwell on it and my focus now is to concentrate on having a better month in April. I do have a stipulation in my Makeout terms for this very thing, though. If I slip up and buy something that's not in my allotted 10 items, then I have to get rid of an equal amount (at least). It's not really a punishment so much as a way to keep myself in check. So I have to say goodbye to 2 lipsticks and 6 bottles of nail polish from my stash.

Eh, I kind of blew it this month and I'm bummed. January and February were both successful and I was really encouraged for making it through without slipping up. But I bought 2 lipsticks and 6 nail polishes earlier this week. I did it without even thinking, which was kind of alarming after the fact. I don't want to dwell on it and my focus now is to concentrate on having a better month in April. I do have a stipulation in my Makeout terms for this very thing, though. If I slip up and buy something that's not in my allotted 10 items, then I have to get rid of an equal amount (at least). It's not really a punishment so much as a way to keep myself in check. So I have to say goodbye to 2 lipsticks and 6 bottles of nail polish from my stash.
That's a good idea! I might do that.

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's a good idea! I might do that.
Cool, I hope it works for you too! It's the only way I can think of to maintain some kind of balance without falling into old behaviors. I just have to be careful not to use the method as a way to keep buying stuff, because even if I get rid of a corresponding amount, I'll be at the same place I started!

So slipped up big time :\\\ im on an unofficial makeout but i definitely splurged on new items these past two weeks.

I bought:

Alba Pineapple Moisturizer

Alba Pineapple Toner

Alba Pineapple Facial Wash

Sephora Jasmine Mirror

6 OPI Polishes (+2 gifted)

Not Your Mother's Clean Freak

Build Your Own Palette (swapped)

I feel so guilty

UGH I failed already. I bought stuff from thebalm's 50% of sale ($37) AND the minute I saw the new point perks from sephora I made a $27 purchase...i couldn't resist the givency and stila...

Back