The confessional/oops I slipped up thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by nin5in /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @19ten20 We all slip up sometimes. Just dust yourself off and get back up on that horse.
But I just messed up again. But not with beauty products, with a study guide for a board exam. So it's okay right?

That is NOT messing up!  If the study guide will help you achieve a better score on a board exam, it's not a slip-up, it's an investment in your future!  Good luck on your exam!

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is NOT messing up!  If the study guide will help you achieve a better score on a board exam, it's not a slip-up, it's an investment in your future!  Good luck on your exam!
Thanks. I take it Nov 20th. Its a specialization certification to work with neonates and pediatric patients.

I slipped up today. I received a 20% off coupon in the mail for Ulta and spend $150. I only went for one $25 item. Grrrr!
OMG I do the same thing at Ulta.  It has gotten so bad that they recognize me and remember my name and things about me.  I have such an addiction to that store!

I'm putting myself on no buy until my wedding is paid off. Next year I fully intend to save up at least $200 to blow at Christmas Time on the pretty makeup sets/skincare. But in the mean time, I have so much stuff I need to use up it's ridiculous so I'm not buying anything even though I really really want to!

But I just messed up again. But not with beauty products, with a study guide for a board exam. So it's okay right?
@19ten20  That's investing in your future, so it's definitely ok. I decided to do a low buy, instead of a no-buy. I realized I can't help myself at the dollar general and the dollar tree, so I'm going to allow myself to get 5 new items a month.

I just slipped up again. This time for about $100. I bought some Gelish gel nail polish products so I can do my own nails. However, I did this as a "reward" for working my first day of the season. It was a 23 hour shift!

I'm on a low-buy with the rule of no Sephora or Ulta orders until further notice.  

I slipped up when I had a HORRIBLE day at work last week...I got the bh cosmetics galaxy chic palette.  I also stopped at Target on my lunch break and got an NYX matte lip cream and two Sonia Kashuk brushes I've been eyeing up for a while.

My new goal is no more beauty purchases this month. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

the very next day after i decided to go on a no-buy, i slipped up..... beauty.com has a free Jurlique mask duo ($22 value, they have these on the site for $54 for 5 masks, the masks are Purely Bright Facial Treatment and Purely Bright Age-Defying Firming) for any $10 purchase....i couldn't resist. i have free 2-day shipping on any order via ShopRunner, so i looked around the site...and of course i found something, the Boots No7 Radiance Boosting Hot Cloth Cleanser - 6.7 fl oz i read several rave reviews, and i just had to make this purchase! i don't think i can do a no-buy :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by kaitlin1209 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm on a low-buy with the rule of no Sephora or Ulta orders until further notice.  

I slipped up when I had a HORRIBLE day at work last week...I got the bh cosmetics galaxy chic palette.  I also stopped at Target on my lunch break and got an NYX matte lip cream and two Sonia Kashuk brushes I've been eyeing up for a while.

My new goal is no more beauty purchases this month. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  the very next day after i decided to go on a no-buy, i slipped up..... beauty.com has a free Jurlique mask duo ($22 value, they have these on these site for $54 for 5 masks, the masks are Purely Bright Facial Treatment and Purely Bright Age-Defying Firming) for any $10 purchase....i couldn't resist. i have free 2-day shipping on any order via ShopRunner, so i looked around the site...and of course i found something, the Boots No7 Radiance Boosting Hot Cloth Cleanser - 6.7 fl oz i read several rave reviews, and i just had to make this purchase! i don't think i can do a no-buy :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wonder if we unconsciously go ahead and sabotage ourselves when we're on a no buy... kind of like that "eat all the food!" when we tell ourselves we're going on a diet. It must be a human reflex to "prepare for the worst" by doing exactly the opposite of what we set out to do. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder if we unconsciously go ahead and sabotage ourselves when we're on a no buy... kind of like that "eat all the food!" when we tell ourselves we're going on a diet. It must be a human reflex to "prepare for the worst" by doing exactly the opposite of what we set out to do. 
I remember seeing a user on another forum compare no-buys to eating disorders, binging, and obsessive behavior in general. I feel kind of conflicted about it; on the one hand, it sounds offensive but on the other hand... people can get obsessive about no-buys, and many of us fall of the wagon and "binge" haul stuff only to end up promising to be more strict in the future. People can sometimes be really harsh on themselves.

Of course I don't mean to say that this is what you're saying, jaylilee, your comment just reminded me of it and I thought it was an interesting comparison.

Quote: Originally Posted by mauu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I remember seeing a user on another forum compare no-buys to eating disorders, binging, and obsessive behavior in general. I feel kind of conflicted about it; on the one hand, it sounds offensive but on the other hand... people can get obsessive about no-buys, and many of us fall of the wagon and "binge" haul stuff only to end up promising to be more strict in the future. People can sometimes be really harsh on themselves.

Of course I don't mean to say that this is what you're saying, jaylilee, your comment just reminded me of it and I thought it was an interesting comparison.
No offense taken! I think this is an interesting point. Whether no-buys can be compared to EDs or other behaviors... well, I am not the expert.. but I mean, looking at how we as humans have survived and even thrived, it's hard coded into our DNA. I'll take the food thing, for example -- and this is not related to a disorder, mind, but simple human biology -- the second we start eating less our body goes into "starvation mode" and hoards all the fat and energy it can. it refuses to let it go for dear life. that's why crash diets never work. Same with the simple analogy that, if we know it's going to be a cold winter and our only source of heat is wood, we're going to go out and hoard all the wood we possibly can.

It's human instinct to "prepare for the worst" despite the fact that in this day and age, we really don't need to. So that survival skill of ours gets put to work on things that aren't necessary... like... going crazy with hauling because no-buys are so hard and we're not allowed to buy things on no-buys. I know @meaganola linked in another post to the chemical reactions that happen in our brain due to buying and anticipation. sometimes no-buys can feel like one long "anticipation period" which maybe leads to binge spending... I don't know. I'd love to hear what other people think about this. 

Well as I said before I'm on a low-buy with a no Sephora/Ulta orders (until I have my 2 credit cards paid off...they don't have huge balances so this isn't unattainable.)  

Today my bf asked me to go to Bath&Body because we burned down ALL of our other candles  (which we've been trying to do since April) and they're still 2 for $25.  We only bought the 2 candles we planned on and I got a body butter I actually needed for my newfound patches of winter scaly dry skin.  So...successful low-buy day.  Two things I needed and one treat.  The last time I stopped at that particular store things ended very differently so I'm counting today in the success column!

Well as I said before I'm on a low-buy with a no Sephora/Ulta orders (until I have my 2 credit cards paid off...they don't have huge balances so this isn't unattainable.)  

Today my bf asked me to go to Bath&Body because we burned down ALL of our other candles  (which we've been trying to do since April) and they're still 2 for $25.  We only bought the 2 candles we planned on and I got a body butter I actually needed for my newfound patches of winter scaly dry skin.  So...successful low-buy day.  Two things I needed and one treat.  The last time I stopped at that particular store things ended very differently so I'm counting today in the success column!
BBW has a tendency to make people break no-buys so easily...or at least, me! lol! Esp. when they're doing their buy 3 get 3 free... congrats on the successful low-buy day! 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  BBW has a tendency to make people break no-buys so easily...or at least, me! lol! Esp. when they're doing their buy 3 get 3 free... congrats on the successful low-buy day! 

The body butter was only like $4 instead of the usual $15 so it could have been worse! You are the best cheerleader :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I can't decide if my January no buy sucked or was ok. Part of my New Years goals was $50/month at sephora. January's rule was no makeup. Total for the month, I spent $25 at sephora, but then dropped $44 at ulta, so slightly over my goal. For makeup, I bought the UD Naked skin powder, and picked up an eyeliner at sephora today to get samples I wanted. The rest of the money was skin care. So that SOUNDS like massive fail, but I honestly owned ZERO pressed powders so I had no way to touch up when I was at work. And the eyeliner was paid for with a gift card I found in my purse and had forgotten about....maybe I'm just enabling myself. Not sure if I feel proud or lame yet. I will say I bought FAR less than normal and abandoned many, many carts full of makeup on various sites. I'm trying to remind myself "just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it".

The body butter was only like $4 instead of the usual $15 so it could have been worse! You are the best cheerleader :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Heeeee! I try :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> No, seriously, you did awesome.

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't decide if my January no buy sucked or was ok. Part of my New Years goals was $50/month at sephora. January's rule was no makeup. Total for the month, I spent $25 at sephora, but then dropped $44 at ulta, so slightly over my goal.

For makeup, I bought the UD Naked skin powder, and picked up an eyeliner at sephora today to get samples I wanted. The rest of the money was skin care.

So that SOUNDS like massive fail, but I honestly owned ZERO pressed powders so I had no way to touch up when I was at work. And the eyeliner was paid for with a gift card I found in my purse and had forgotten about....maybe I'm just enabling myself.

Not sure if I feel proud or lame yet. I will say I bought FAR less than normal and abandoned many, many carts full of makeup on various sites. I'm trying to remind myself "just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it".
We can only take it a day at a time, and look at it this way - the year's just beginning, you still have 11 more whole months to do great with your goals. Also, I think your last two sentences summed it up -- baby steps. So yes, you bought a pressed powder that sounds like you needed, and ulta was a minor slip up, but think of all the other hundreds of dollars' worth of carts you were able to walk away from. If you actually need something, there's no reason to feel lame for getting it. No buys or low buys are not meant to be self inflicted floggings when we actually acquire something, especially because we need it. It's about finding balance and not draining out bank accounts due to impulse. If you ask me, you did just fine :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

This week I slipped and purchased some non-beauty goodies for work. A stethoscope ($75), a pair of cute compression socks ($10), and a new pair of work shoes ($60). In all fairness one of my favorite pairs of work shoes have needed to be thrown away but I was putting it off.

Oh wait. I forgot to mention the cute moccasins ($30) that I bought when I went to buy my work shoes. No excuse for that!

Okay, so I told myself that starting 2014, I will go on a yearlong no-buy...And this month, I bought 3 new items :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Bless me father, for I have sinned.

So, I slipped up last night and went to Ulta (didn't get anything, but now want to buy lots of stuff!) and TJMaxx and I bought $36 worth of stuff- some gummi bears, some shortbread cookies, a cute purse by Nine West that I can turn into a belt bag, and some rosehip oil.

I also bought on Ebay for $132  three VS yoga bras, some Nike running pants, and a running jacket by Nike.

Why? Because I found out my husband wants a divorce. I'm supposed to be on a no-buy from now through February. But I guess.... well, we'll see what happens and how strong I can be. I feel like the running gear will help be get into shape and focus on that and maybe not so much on makeup and spending on other 'things'. I definitely don't need more 'stuff' if I'm going to have to move out. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This week I slipped and purchased some non-beauty goodies for work. A stethoscope ($75), a pair of cute compression socks ($10), and a new pair of work shoes ($60). In all fairness one of my favorite pairs of work shoes have needed to be thrown away but I was putting it off.

Oh wait. I forgot to mention the cute moccasins ($30) that I bought when I went to buy my work shoes. No excuse for that!
Hey, your purchases seem necessary to me, except the cute moccasins, but hopefully they add some cheer to your days!

Quote: Originally Posted by kuroneko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Okay, so I told myself that starting 2014, I will go on a yearlong no-buy...And this month, I bought 3 new items :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Bless me father, for I have sinned.
Hehe, this made me giggle.

I just slipped up again. This time for about $100. I bought some Gelish gel nail polish products so I can do my own nails. However, I did this as a "reward" for working my first day of the season. It was a 23 hour shift!
Hey, a 23 hour shift? Wow, congratulations on getting through it! You rock. Are you a nurse or a doctor or something?

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So, I slipped up last night and went to Ulta (didn't get anything, but now want to buy lots of stuff!) and TJMaxx and I bought $36 worth of stuff- some gummi bears, some shortbread cookies, a cute purse by Nine West that I can turn into a belt bag, and some rosehip oil.

I also bought on Ebay for $132  three VS yoga bras, some Nike running pants, and a running jacket by Nike.

Why? Because I found out my husband wants a divorce. I'm supposed to be on a no-buy from now through February. But I guess.... well, we'll see what happens and how strong I can be. I feel like the running gear will help be get into shape and focus on that and maybe not so much on makeup and spending on other 'things'. I definitely don't need more 'stuff' if I'm going to have to move out. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh my gosh, honey!  I am so sorry!  I really hope everything works out for you (even if right now it's not clear what the end result will be).  Lots of hugs, and we're all here for you!

Back