The confessional/oops I slipped up thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to Target and Walgreens tonight...needless to say, I slipped up!

I stuck to my list very well (even down to the magazine I bought) but I slipped and bought an eyeshadow quad, eyeliner, and bowties for my cats...that last one was definitely not on my list...neither were the eyeshadows or liner lol! Shameful!!!
Now you should post a picture of your cats in bowties

Now you should post a picture of your cats in bowties
I posted in another section, but here you go! Kojak loves his bowtie and struts around the house in it so proudly! Lucky on the other hand, he wasn't too pleased lol! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I pledged too early, I forgot em by Michelle Phan was this month. I ordered 2 things at em, and 5 minis from Lush Lacquer.   That has to be it for buying!

I did place an order at Sephora today because I wanted to take advantage of the 3X points. However, it was Christmas gifts for my girls so I'm letting it slide. I get to keep the VIB bag of samples though, lol.

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did place an order at Sephora today because I wanted to take advantage of the 3X points. However, it was Christmas gifts for my girls so I'm letting it slide. I get to keep the VIB bag of samples though, lol.
I placed a Sephora order today too! My friend works there and told me about the triple points a while back, so I had planned on taking advantage of it and using my 10% off coupon! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I think that will be it for me for the rest of the month though. There are some MAC goodies that I want in September, so I need to wait to purchase anything else beauty-related until then! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I made two orders from em cosmetics. Day Life palette and rose lip palette. Last night I ordered the Career Life palette. Also 1 order from Lash Lacquer. This has to be the last until Christmas, it's a crazy addiction.

I brought the Kat Von D palette Ladybird palette. In my defense, I needed it because I only have 1 matte eyeshadow and I read somewhere that shimmer shadows aren't appropriate for professional work environments and job interviews.

I went to Sephore yesterday and ended up buying another foundation (finally one that actually is my shade) which I needed, a lipstick (not really needed), and some nail sticker thingies (well... they look pretty).

Originally Posted by Sunflowercake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to Sephore yesterday and ended up buying another foundation (finally one that actually is my shade) which I needed, a lipstick (not really needed), and some nail sticker thingies (well... they look pretty).
Sephora...sorry for the typo- my stupid edit button does not function

I brought the Kat Von D palette Ladybird palette. In my defense, I needed it because I only have 1 matte eyeshadow and I read somewhere that shimmer shadows aren't appropriate for professional work environments and job interviews.
Ooh, I've been lusting after the Ladybird palette for quite some time now. I'd say it does sound like a reasonable purchase if you only have 1 matte eyeshadow - as long as you don't fall victim to the "Well, I only have a shimmer eyeshadow in this exact shade so I can buy a matte one too" thinking. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I personally think that you can get away with some shimmer eyeshadow in a professional setting, especially if you keep the rest of your eyeshadow (and blush) matte. Probably depends on your position and field though. I'm not a work-appropriate make up expert but I like to use a shimmer eyeshadow on the lid and matte in the crease. I have hooded lids so the shimmer is very low-key.

Originally Posted by mauu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooh, I've been lusting after the Ladybird palette for quite some time now. I'd say it does sound like a reasonable purchase if you only have 1 matte eyeshadow - as long as you don't fall victim to the "Well, I only have a shimmer eyeshadow in this exact shade so I can buy a matte one too" thinking.
wink.gif

I personally think that you can get away with some shimmer eyeshadow in a professional setting, especially if you keep the rest of your eyeshadow (and blush) matte. Probably depends on your position and field though. I'm not a work-appropriate make up expert but I like to use a shimmer eyeshadow on the lid and matte in the crease. I have hooded lids so the shimmer is very low-key.
lol I'm hoping that this is my last palette purchase for a very long time - I have enough shadows to last years. I'm in education/technology but I'm probably going to apply for government and corporate careers. I've been told by faculty/staff that it's important to look "as conservative as possible" at interviews. They don't elaborate on makeup but I can't leave the house without eye makeup unless I'm not going anywhere. In my mind I think matte=conservative. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol I'm hoping that this is my last palette purchase for a very long time - I have enough shadows to last years. I'm in education/technology but I'm probably going to apply for government and corporate careers. I've been told by faculty/staff that it's important to look "as conservative as possible" at interviews. They don't elaborate on makeup but I can't leave the house without eye makeup unless I'm not going anywhere. In my mind I think matte=conservative. Thanks for the advice.
I usually go very conservative in interviews, and then when I get to the job, I see how the other women are in management, and I go from there. I'm an engineer in defense, and the women I work with range in their makeup from shimmery (not glittery) to matte to sometimes just a little too much makeup for the office. I'm in my 20s, and I wear shimmery eyeshadow but matte face maybe a slight shimmery highlight on the cheekbones, and I've never had a problem with it not being professional. I'm sure my husband who's also a staff member at a university would tell me I look unprofessional and won't be taken seriously. I really love shimmery eyeshadows over matte. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But, always good to start out very conservative. Never know what that office's culture will be like.

Originally Posted by eucala08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I usually go very conservative in interviews, and then when I get to the job, I see how the other women are in management, and I go from there. I'm an engineer in defense, and the women I work with range in their makeup from shimmery (not glittery) to matte to sometimes just a little too much makeup for the office. I'm in my 20s, and I wear shimmery eyeshadow but matte face maybe a slight shimmery highlight on the cheekbones, and I've never had a problem with it not being professional. I'm sure my husband who's also a staff member at a university would tell me I look unprofessional and won't be taken seriously. I really love shimmery eyeshadows over matte. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But, always good to start out very conservative. Never know what that office's culture will be like.
Thank you for the advice. I love shimmer but I don't want to stand out too much. I currently work for a university and I think it depends on the department/major and your role. Some departments are laid back and some are strict about about you look, especially if you're teaching.

Originally Posted by Olga Ok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I work in finance for the city and at my workplace women wear little to no makeup.
I feel comfortable in my own skin but I prefer to wear makeup. Most of the women that I work with do not wear it either.

Lol! I love shimmery eyeshadows! Although my looks tend to stay on the neutral side (think The Balm's Nude Tude), sometimes i step outside the box and go for bolder colors - especially bold lips! I've worked in government - obvi the interview should be of a neutral look but I took a cue off the other women and was pretty surprised at the volume of make up sometimes. Of course, it totally depends on your office. Right now in working for a very large, international corporation and some women don't wear anything at all and others are like BAM! Mimi from the Drew Carrey Show!

Lol! I love shimmery eyeshadows! Although my looks tend to stay on the neutral side (think The Balm's Nude Tude), sometimes i step outside the box and go for bolder colors - especially bold lips! I've worked in government - obvi the interview should be of a neutral look but I took a cue off the other women and was pretty surprised at the volume of make up sometimes. Of course, it totally depends on your office. Right now in working for a very large, international corporation and some women don't wear anything at all and others are like BAM! Mimi from the Drew Carrey Show!
Heh. I go back and forth between the two depending on season and mood, with clown prostitute thrown in for good measure when I think I need a little more blush because I feel a little pale.

Heh. I go back and forth between the two depending on season and mood, with clown prostitute thrown in for good measure when I think I need a little more blush because I feel a little pale.
Lol at clown prostitute.

Hahahhaha. Clown prostitute! I am queen of heavy handed omg way too much blush Faces. It doesn't help that my cheeks get super red when I drink - it's like blush + rosy cheeks = my body's natural stop sign to the bartender to stop serving me drinks. I don't wear blush to work since I feel like I never do it correctly!

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol! I love shimmery eyeshadows! Although my looks tend to stay on the neutral side (think The Balm's Nude Tude), sometimes i step outside the box and go for bolder colors - especially bold lips! I've worked in government - obvi the interview should be of a neutral look but I took a cue off the other women and was pretty surprised at the volume of make up sometimes. Of course, it totally depends on your office.

Right now in working for a very large, international corporation and some women don't wear anything at all and others are like BAM! Mimi from the Drew Carrey Show!
Lol! That reference took me back to my childhood - my mom loved that show.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol! I think I'm too heavy handed to apply blush so I just don't wear it.

Latest posts

Back