The confessional/oops I slipped up thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just failed at my low buy, but just ever so slightly. I had set my self a 5 item limit and had already purchased 3 items. Then I found myself at the MAC website checking out with 3 lipsticks, which brings me to 6 items. Technically I have only gone over by just 1 item so if I manage not to buy anymore makeup for the rest of the month (I feel confident) I will still consider it a success. So far I have done way better than previous months, although this is my first time attempting a low buy.

Originally Posted by Flowerfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just failed at my low buy, but just ever so slightly. I had set my self a 5 item limit and had already purchased 3 items. Then I found myself at the MAC website checking out with 3 lipsticks, which brings me to 6 items. Technically I have only gone over by just 1 item so if I manage not to buy anymore makeup for the rest of the month (I feel confident) I will still consider it a success. So far I have done way better than previous months, although this is my first time attempting a low buy.
That's okay. Low-buys are hard when you first start them. I failed my first 2 or 3 low-buys lol. In my low-buy rules, if I go over my low-buy limit I have to get rid of items already in my stash. So if I go 2 items over limit, I get rid of (or donate) 2 items that I have.

That's okay. Low-buys are hard when you first start them. I failed my first 2 or 3 low-buys lol. In my low-buy rules, if I go over my low-buy limit I have to get rid of items already in my stash. So if I go 2 items over limit, I get rid of (or donate) 2 items that I have.
Thanks for the moral support. I really like your idea, I don't know how motivating it will be for me right now since I am on a kick of throwing things away. I have tossed about 20 makeup products this month, just stuff I stopped using or didn't really like to begin with. Hopefully I'll do better next month, and won't buy anything else this month. Thanks for your encouragement!

Thanks for the moral support. I really like your idea, I don't know how motivating it will be for me right now since I am on a kick of throwing things away. I have tossed about 20 makeup products this month, just stuff I stopped using or didn't really like to begin with. Hopefully I'll do better next month, and won't buy anything else this month. Thanks for your encouragement!
. No problem :) that's what we're here for.

I need to hide my card for the rest of the month :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> This month I brought 2 drugstore mascaras, 3 items from the beauty.com sale, 2 Sephora favorites kits, and a perfume rollerball because of their triple points promo. That's 8 items but only 4 count towards my low-buy limit because I only count makeup. I don't count skincare and perfume towards my low-buy limit because I very rarely buy them. But I still feel like I failed my low buy this month. I'm going to change my low-buy rules for next month.

Also, I went subscription box crazy. I plan on canceling Julep, Ipsy, Naturebox, Little Black Bag, and suspending Graze box.

Broke my no buy (again) and got the Sephora Favorites sun set.  To qualify for free shipping I also got the Flowerbomb travel set.  Fortunately, I had some extra cash that covered it all.  So, two shopping excursions this month - the drugstore.com 30% sale and the limited edition set because I didn't want to miss out on it. 

I've got a package on it's way from The All Natural Face that I purchased in April (yes, it took that long to fill the order) and my Eco Emi, so that should tide me over for the rest of the month.  I so suck at no-buys
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Broke my no buy (again) and got the Sephora Favorites sun set.  To qualify for free shipping I also got the Flowerbomb travel set.  Fortunately, I had some extra cash that covered it all.  So, two shopping excursions this month - the drugstore.com 30% sale and the limited edition set because I didn't want to miss out on it. 

I've got a package on it's way from The All Natural Face that I purchased in April (yes, it took that long to fill the order) and my Eco Emi, so that should tide me over for the rest of the month.  I so suck at no-buys
eek.gif
Yeah the Sephora Favorites Sun Kit made me order from them. My low-buy sucked this month.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you aren't a BI, then it shows as "not in stock".  That threw me at first, as I hadn't signed into my account.
Oops, I didn't know that. I'm always signed in.

Originally Posted by JamieRobinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks so much.
You're welcome!

so far ive managed to not spend money on make up! i went to sephora like, 6 times in the past month (woo mall trips to kill time) and I keep getting this awesome Cast Member who is VERY generous with giving out samples. 

I'm in the confessional because I went a pre-graduation ceremony shopping spree and bought like $250 in dresses and other clothes. I know its not make up related but I still feel guilty for spending so much money! I did manage to get great deals though and the quantity of clothes and quality makes it justifiable - i hope (idk talk to my credit card) - its just hard to pass up a 40% off sale on sale at Gap!

icon_sad.gif
I really do not need more polish but I have a hard time stopping. Love Bondi and want to make sure I get the colors  I want before they discontinue...after this week I'm on a polish no buy for a while. I have to be because  I have waaaay too many polishes I have not yet used and many other things I need to be focusing my money on to help me get out of debt. :-( What things have helped you all stay focused on your no buys?

I blame @CoachZenovia! 
icon_biggrin.gif
 I used the Bondi code to buy four nail polishes. However, I justify it because I got my Ebates deposit today and paid for Bondi with that. Ok...I did have to pay 31 cents.

It would be wrong to pass up that kind of deal and now I have all the Bondi shades I wanted!

Originally Posted by CoachZenovia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_sad.gif
I really do not need more polish but I have a hard time stopping. Love Bondi and want to make sure I get the colors  I want before they discontinue...after this week I'm on a polish no buy for a while. I have to be because  I have waaaay too many polishes I have not yet used and many other things I need to be focusing my money on to help me get out of debt. :-( What things have helped you all stay focused on your no buys?
Oh well I was able to stay away from the nail polish. then I have seen allthe pretty things on Sale at Sephora and just spent $50.00. This has to be the absolute only order for me this month. What I ended up dping is look at all the samples I have. When i want to buy something I first ask myself if I have something similar and if so, how often do I use it and why would I need another one. Then i tell myself what else I could buy from the money or pay off (paying for school at the same time or for example what bills I have to pay). I have to get into the habit of only spending money for makeup if I really have it left at the end of the month
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I blame @CoachZenovia! 
icon_biggrin.gif
 I used the Bondi code to buy four nail polishes. However, I justify it because I got my Ebates deposit today and paid for Bondi with that. Ok...I did have to pay 31 cents.

It would be wrong to pass up that kind of deal and now I have all the Bondi shades I wanted!
I would say you got a great deal!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachZenovia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_sad.gif

Hmm, this is a difficult question. Maybe try reminding yourself why you're on a no buy in the first place. And like Sunflowercake suggested, ask yourself how often you'd use it and why you'd need it. I also ask myself "Is there a similar product that this would replace?" Here's an example:

Yesterday I was shopping for tea and stevia on iHerb and somehow ended up placing a bottle of jojoba oil in my cart because I've been wanting to try it. At first I thought "I don't have jojoba oil in my stash, so I can buy this!" Then I realized that while I don't have jojoba oil, I do have bottles of rosehip oil and tamanu oil, which I wouldn't use in combination with the jojoba oil. So I removed it from my cart and told myself I'll buy it when I've finished my other oils.

You can extend this idea to color cosmetics as well. When lemming a light pink lipstick, for example, don't ask yourself "Do I already have a lipstick in this exact shade of pink?" but "What kind of looks would I use this with? What lipsticks do I currently use with those looks? How about lipgloss or stains? Would I no longer use those products if I bought this lipstick?" This might help me realize that a light pink lipstick I want might replace other pinks or even nudes or MLBB shades I already have. Honestly, most of us just don't need lipstick in every possible color and shade variation. 
smile.gif

That's probably a confusing explanation but I hope you get the general idea! It's helped me avoid many unnecessary purchases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I blame @CoachZenovia! 
icon_biggrin.gif

That is a great deal... as long as you don't suddenly come up with new Bondi shades you need/want. 
wink3.gif
 Happens to me all the time (not with Bondi but with other things). I think "now I have all the shades I wanted", then new shades come out and suddenly I find myself needing those as well when I should just learn to be happy with what I already have.

I seem to have completely lost my urge to buy a couple months ago - and here's how: 

A lot of people say, "I have X unopened bottles of nail polish that I haven't even tried yet, but I can't stop buying more!" 

I focused instead on my faves.  "I have 200 nail polishes.  Of those, 10 are so fantastic I would wear them almost every day if I could!  But I shouldn't, because I have these 10 bottles I haven't tried yet, and I have 160 others I bought that I like well enough and should use sometimes, too.  And my 10 faves that I love will probably turn all gunky before I can even wear them a few more times.  =("  Then when I wanted to buy something new, I would tell myself, "This will be one more thing I'll feel I have to wear sometimes, that will allow me to wear my faves even less often.  Do I love it that much?"

After a few times, I stopped even wanting to buy.  Not sure how long it will last, but it's been about 3 months now, and I've only replaced a few staples that I ran out of.  Even shut off all my subs without any sadness.

I went to Target and Walgreens tonight...needless to say, I slipped up! I stuck to my list very well (even down to the magazine I bought) but I slipped and bought an eyeshadow quad, eyeliner, and bowties for my cats...that last one was definitely not on my list...neither were the eyeshadows or liner lol! Shameful!!!

Latest posts

Back