The confessional/oops I slipped up thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I lasted less than 3 weeks. I placed an order with NYX, at least it was only $33 and some-odd cents. I had a 25% for signing up for emails, free shipping over $25 and a free mystery gift. I got 2 black label lipsticks, a powder foundation (to replace MAC) and a set of 6 jumbo eye pencils that was on sale.

Got to get back on the horse that threw me.

Kind of a slip-up but kind of not: I just placed an order for the Hit Polish Total Mystery set, Halloween 2.0, Jack & Sally, and Galaxy Quest. But! I'm considering everything but GQ to be Halloween stuff (and I've given myself a budget for that stuff, and this falls well below that limit), and GQ is my favorite _Star Trek_ movie (and one of my top ten all-time favorite movies, period), so it was a gotta-get-it polish.

Urgh, this *was* a bit of a slipup: Eyeliner and nail polish at lunch. In my semi-defense, I'm going out after work, and my allergies wrecked my eyeliner, and the polish on one of my nails popped off (I used school glue as base coat, and I was a little over enthusiastic when trying to clean the edge of one of them). These will live in my makeup bag for emergencies (and for me, nail and eyeliner issues on happy hour nights *are* emergencies) like this.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Urgh, this *was* a bit of a slipup: Eyeliner and nail polish at lunch. In my semi-defense, I'm going out after work, and my allergies wrecked my eyeliner, and the polish on one of my nails popped off (I used school glue as base coat, and I was a little over enthusiastic when trying to clean the edge of one of them). These will live in my makeup bag for emergencies (and for me, nail and eyeliner issues on happy hour nights *are* emergencies) like this.

Eeeh sounds like a good reason to me. I am using duplicate eyeliners and stuff now for little makeup bags in my purses.

Sigh... Hi, My name is Leigh.  It has been about 2 hour since my last nail polish purchase.  I found a "50% off clearance" sale at Sally's Beauty and lost my damn mind.  Also, my Ulta has their polishes on sale for $2 right now.  

What I got:

Ulta's Salon Formula in Little Black Dress ($2)

Ulta's Salon Formula in Tink-her-bell ($2)

China Glaze Graffiti Glitter ($1)

China Glaze Razzle Me Dazzle Me ($1)

China Glaze Scattered & Tattered ($1)

China Glaze Bling It On ($1)

Color Club Winter Affair Set (4 minis) ($1.50)

Sally Girl Mini Glow in the Dark ($0.30)*

Sally Girl Mini Peacock Green ($0.30)*

Sally Girl Mini Deep Purple with Silver Shimmer ($0.30)*

Sally Girl Mini Bronzy Purple ($0.30)*

(Sally Minis did not have colors, so I tried to describe them.  Glow in the dark is an actual Glow in the Dark polish!)

So yes, I got some crazy good deals, and none of these are dupes for anything already in my collection, but... darn it.  Was not supposed to buy more than 3 polishes this month, per the (self-imposed) rules of my low-buy.  And today I BOUGHT FOURTEEN BOTTLES.    

In other news, I won't need any nail polish for awhile!

I bought four loose pigments today. In my semi-defense, I consider them to be part of my comics/con budget because I bought them at a comic con. ETA: And then I bought the Rimmel holiday metal/duochrome polishes. No excuse for that. At least they were only a buck each after the dollar-off coupons.

I can see I'm not the only one who's been unable to resist deals!

I already posted in the most recent purchases thread but I feel the need to confess here as well, haha. I was supposed to be on a no-buy for the whole month but, well... let's just say it's been a massive fail. There were some tempting last chance sales and then I thought "Oh what the hell, I have a new part-time job, I can afford to splurge a little". Not that I really needed more eyeshadow palettes or a new nude lippie...

Definitely not good! I wish it was October already, I need a fresh start.
ooops.gif

Pre-emptive confession:  I was trying to hold out for two more weeks before I got this one due to OMG SO BROKE UNTIL THEN, but the Sephora Favorites Give Me More Lip set is no longer available onljne!  But I found a store down the road from me that has one that will hold it for me until the end of the day, so I'm going to go get it now.  But I crossed the UD Ocho Loco 2 (because FORTY-EIGHT EYELINERS) and tarte LipSurgence 8-piece (because, meh, I'm not sure I really like this year's colors) sets off my list of planning-to-buy-before-the-end-of-the-year list, so I kind of feel like it's okay to move this purchase up.  I *would* be getting it anyway.  I'm just getting it sooner than I had planned.

ETA:  But it's *so* worth it.  All of those berries, pinks, and reds!  There were several things in there that were actually on my to-get list (OCC STRUMPET ARE YOU *SERIOUS*?), so I counted their full-sized value when trying to decide whether I should feel guilty about this.  Answer:  No.  Then I put the nudes and a pink up on eBay because I will not wear them, so I would rather get them out of my apartment ASAP by selling them than try to replace them via swapping because OMG SO MUCH STUFF already, and if they do sell, then I can consider however much they go for as money not spent on this set.

I slipped today majorly at the Dollar General. Here's what I brought:

L.A. Colors Glittering Starlet Palette in Claudette

L.A. Colors 3 Color Eyeshadow in Passion Flower

L.A. Colors 3 Color Eyeshadow in Peony (replacement)

L.A. Colors 5 Color Metallic Eyeshadow in Wine & Roses (replacement)

L.A. Colors 10 Color Eyeshadow in Splash

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Summer Love

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Sand Castle

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Waves

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Pool Party

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Bikini Time

I couldn't help my self. I just intended to get replacement for my 2 damaged eye palettes and ended up buying 5 jumbo eye pencils and 3 extra palettes.

Oh no, @nin5in !  Were you on a low/no buy this month?  Hopefully you're back on track!  I know how tempting all the pretty colors can be...
w00t.gif

@magicalmom Yes, I was on a no-buy. I'm going to dust myself off, and get back up on that horse again.

Quote: Originally Posted by nin5in /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I slipped today majorly at the Dollar General. Here's what I brought:

L.A. Colors Glittering Starlet Palette in Claudette

L.A. Colors 3 Color Eyeshadow in Passion Flower

L.A. Colors 3 Color Eyeshadow in Peony (replacement)

L.A. Colors 5 Color Metallic Eyeshadow in Wine & Roses (replacement)

L.A. Colors 10 Color Eyeshadow in Splash

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Summer Love

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Sand Castle

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Waves

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Pool Party

L.A. Colors Jumbo Eye Pencil in Bikini Time

I couldn't help my self. I just intended to get replacement for my 2 damaged eye palettes and ended up buying 5 jumbo eye pencils and 3 extra palettes.

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh no, @nin5in !  Were you on a low/no buy this month?  Hopefully you're back on track!  I know how tempting all the pretty colors can be...
w00t.gif

@magicalmom Yes, I was on a no-buy. I'm going to dust myself off, and get back up on that horse again.

This is precisely why I think going no-buy can be dangerous!  You'll decide that you will get *one* specific thing (or two specific things), and then you just kind of go into a fugue state and BUY ALL THE THINGS.  I find that it's easier to get through cutting back if I make a list of items I can get (and not just "lip gloss" or "shampoo."  Specify brand and shade/variety/scent!  And if you can't find that particular item, you are clearly not supposed to get it.  Don't get something else instead! ).  Then once I hit the MUST BUY MAKEUP wall, I consult my list and get just one thing from that list (or I'll go to the Sephora site, pick through my loves list for my "one thing," and then pick through the available codes to get the best extra to go with my order so I can get extra goodies for free since I was already buying something.  Sometimes I take so long trying to pick out what code to use that the urge to buy subsides, and then I just empty out my cart without buying).  It's a safety valve so my shopping pressure cooker doesn't explode and spray green beans all over the ceiling.  

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is precisely why I think going no-buy can be dangerous!  You'll decide that you will get *one* specific thing (or two specific things), and then you just kind of go into a fugue state and BUY ALL THE THINGS.  I find that it's easier to get through cutting back if I make a list of items I can get (and not just "lip gloss" or "shampoo."  Specify brand and shade/variety/scent!  And if you can't find that particular item, you are clearly not supposed to get it.  Don't get something else instead! ).  Then once I hit the MUST BUY MAKEUP wall, I consult my list and get just one thing from that list (or I'll go to the Sephora site, pick through my loves list for my "one thing," and then pick through the available codes to get the best extra to go with my order so I can get extra goodies for free since I was already buying something.  Sometimes I take so long trying to pick out what code to use that the urge to buy subsides, and then I just empty out my cart without buying).  It's a safety valve so my shopping pressure cooker doesn't explode and spray green beans all over the ceiling.  

@meaganola this happens to me all to often.  This is why I would never make myself do a no-buy because I'd break down one day and buy half of Ulta.  Gotta love those fugue states!

@nin5in Yes!  Get back on that horse!  Also, no crying over spilled milk, & other cliches!  Enjoy the pretties without guilt, because what's done is done.  Also, pat yourself on the back that AT LEAST you splurged on L.A. Colors and not Chanel!  

Today I bought a Revlon colorburst lip butter in Candy Apple. I was doing really well on my no-buy too. 

I slipped up once so far in October. I got a CoverGirl Glosstini nail polish from the Hunger Games Capital collection. Technically it was a gift because my grandma bought it for me, but it added to my hoard (err, I mean collection) so I am counting it. On the bright side, I gathered up ten full size and three mini nail polishes to give to a coworker for his daughters. They are just getting into nail polish and art, so I figured they could use it more than I could. Generally I am attracted to chunky glitters which used to look great on my nails, but now that I work in healthcare and keep my nails ultra short they just look silly. So I guess this one slip up is okay.

However, I am planning another slip up! I just got a coupon for 20% off from a store which will go unnamed and this coupon allows me to purchase many products that never go on sale. I have decided to only buy stuff that I wear everyday though, such as foundation, setting powder, etc.

-19ten20

I slipped up again and bought a Clinique High Impact Eyeshadow duo in Beach Bronze. Back on that no-buy until the end of this year.

I slipped up today. The mall near me has The Cosmetic Store which sells Estee Lauder owned lines. I found the EL "Ingenious Travel Palette" for only $38 and just had to buy it. I believe the orginal retail price was 70 or higher. Anyway, every color is something I will actually use, and the face powder is pale enough to work as well.

Climbing back on the horse that threw me.

I slipped up today. I received a 20% off coupon in the mail for Ulta and spend $150. I only went for one $25 item. Grrrr!

@19ten20 We all slip up sometimes. Just dust yourself off and get back up on that horse.
But I just messed up again. But not with beauty products, with a study guide for a board exam. So it's okay right?

Back