***The Official NHL Playoff 2008 Thread***

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ii found a nice room in a Comfort Inn near Charleston and they have big screen lcd TVs in the rooms!!! Yeaaaaaa!! Makes it great for watching the playoff games.. Too bad the wireless internet isn't working in this room.. So I'm getting them to switch rooms.... During the second intermission!! Lol

With 7:34 left in the second period the Penguins 2 - Ottawa ZIP

reddance.gif

The Sen's Baltankoff (spelling?) just got hit in the face by a slap shot....
frown.gif

Looked like he really got hurt bad...

I can watch either the sens and Pitt or NYR and NJ. Tied 1-1.

I started with OTT game but switched. I hate it what a player gets a face injury. If I were playing, I'd where a cage like a girl. Heck, I am a girl!

My favourite team would be Toronto - I'm only 2 hours from there.

But I'm partial to teams that have good lookin guys - which team doesn't I ask you. Karren's groaning now...

hahahahaha!! There's that Sid and and whip cream dream again!! I wear a full cage and I'm guy........ kind a.........
biggrin.gif

UPDATE!! FINAL SCORE

Penguins 4.... Senators 0

reddance.gif

You are the best of both worlds my dear.

So Pitts won. I wonder if it has anything to do with Fleury's new pads?

NYR beat NJ. I like both of these series so I have to switch, but I always miss something.

Sid was pretty scrappy tonight. I guess he wants to show he's a stallion and no longer a colt. Someone has to break him in, might as well be Neill or ...

I could easily flip and cheer for Pittsburg....meh i think I will. The rest of my house is hahah

Caps play first game tomorrow night. how do you think they will do? i just heard an interview on the radio with the coach, He sounds as surprised as anybody to be there... Huh???

I do not like Philadelphia.

I was truly hoping that they would not make the playoffs.

I think that Washington can beat them - but I don't know if Wash can win the next round.

Washington will be winning a few awards. Does the US get the NHL awards?

It will be on about a week after the playoff are over.

I heard that the coach of Washington will get the award for best coach - but I could be wrong.

The coach could just be modest - they're not all like Don Cherry lol.

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Washington will be winning a few awards. Does the US get the NHL awards?It will be on about a week after the playoff are over.

I heard that the coach of Washington will get the award for best coach - but I could be wrong.

The coach could just be modest - they're not all like Don Cherry lol.

I don't know maybe Karren knows about the awards.
Well i just thought the comments were strange. as you know i coach and even if i thought we got into a tournament, playoffs, whatever I would never question how we got there! I mean they obviously did something right. It just doesn't sound like you're showing confidence and if the coach can't be confident how can the players be? but then again these are professionals and their motivation come from elsewhere.

Coaches have different personalities:

Before a game, they are more diplomatic. They compliment the other team and may say something nice about one of their players.

When the games is on, they are pretty aggressive - they yell at other players and coaches.

And if the coach is Patrick Roy, he will encourage his kid to beat the crap out of an opposing player.

No one likes Philly!!! Not even people from there!! lol

Awards? What awards? Lord Stanleys cup is the only true award for a real hockey player!!! I have a book on what all the players have done with the cup over the years... including leaving it behind on the side of the road, in the bottom of someones swimming pool and drop kicking it accross a frozen river (Canadians????)
smile.gif

My second favorite team the Deeeetroit Red Wings beat Nashville!!! Yaaaaaa!!!

Nashville is another place that hockey should not be played.... Elvis, Grand Ole Oprey and Ice Hockey just sound wrong together!!! hahaha

HABSS win baby!!!! 4-1 to those *******s in boston (sorry but they're brutes)

Ahh we finished first in the non-boring conference lol @ Carolyn n were movin on up. I'm so happy, were all so happy lol this city IS hockey as they say

Do you ever notice that no one wants to win the Lady Bing?

I heard that Lord Stanley has found it way into a few strip bars.

Cup dancing anyone?

I watched the Montreal game - excellent. Maybe the Boston goalie needs to switch to white pads haha!

So hockey girl please explain why they throw octopusses (octopii?) on the ice? Better question where does one go to buy octopii? Because if it were my job i wouldn't have a clue where to go.

I had to research you question so I found this site:

Joe Louis Arena

"The Red Wings' most eagerly anticipated tradition is throwing of an octopus on the ice during the playoffs. The bizarre fan ritual began back when only four NHL teams made the playoffs, and the eight legs symbolized the eight wins needed to win the Stanley Cup. Attendants are booed if they use a shovel to remove the octopus and cheered if they use their bare hands."

Joe Louis Arena frowns upon the octopus tradition and doesn't want fans to bring in octopi. But every once in a while, a dead octopus is thrown on to the ice, after a Detroit Red Winger scores. The crowd cheers wildly when it lands and erupts when an ice cleaner swings it around in the air.

There should be fish mongers in Detroit grocery stores or market, that sell octupi. But I think that ticket holders are checked to make sure they aren't bringing one in.

I don't know what is worse, body searching fans for an octupus or having to swing it around once it has been found.

thank you hockey girl for your very thorough answer. what a strange tradition --- I like it!

You know, I feel bad for those octupi that end up on a hockey rink.

I think they are majestic and misunderstood. I know, I'm digressing.

There are four games on tonight.

NYR vs NJ, Ott vs Pitt, Phil vs Wash, Colorado and Minnesota

Alexander will be debuting his playoff skills tonight. Hope he can keep his mind off his girlfriend.

The Caps win in a very exciting game 5-4 after being down 2-4. way to go!

Penguins beat Ottohhhwaaaaa 5 to 3!!! Ryan Mallone with a wrap arounder to break the tie with 1 minute to go in the game then an empty netter in the last few seconds!!! What a great game!!!

celebrating_041108.jpg

Up two games to zippppppooooooooo!!!

reddance.gif
reddance.gif

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif I had to research you question so I found this site:Joe Louis Arena

"The Red Wings' most eagerly anticipated tradition is throwing of an octopus on the ice during the playoffs. The bizarre fan ritual began back when only four NHL teams made the playoffs, and the eight legs symbolized the eight wins needed to win the Stanley Cup. Attendants are booed if they use a shovel to remove the octopus and cheered if they use their bare hands."

Joe Louis Arena frowns upon the octopus tradition and doesn't want fans to bring in octopi. But every once in a while, a dead octopus is thrown on to the ice, after a Detroit Red Winger scores. The crowd cheers wildly when it lands and erupts when an ice cleaner swings it around in the air.

There should be fish mongers in Detroit grocery stores or market, that sell octupi. But I think that ticket holders are checked to make sure they aren't bringing one in.

I don't know what is worse, body searching fans for an octupus or having to swing it around once it has been found.

Lol, when the Oilers played Detroit in Round 1 a couple years back, I heard some Oiler fans threw Alberta beef on the ice haha

Back