***The Official NHL Playoff 2008 Thread***

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carolyn, nice segue. That was really cool to post. I am a big fan of women's athletics.

Did i tell you i got to see a portion of the US Womens hockey team tryouts up in Lake Placid NY last summer? It was great especially in a location as historic as where the 1980 Miracle on Ice happened! I will have to find a place to post some of the pictures.

Wasn't the Olympics held in Lake Placid some years ago? There sems to be a lot of athletes in training of winter sports.

I have to be honest, whenever I hear the words 'Lake Placid', I think of the enormous crocodile lurking in a lake, eating Betty White's cows. Nooo! Mooo!

I have to tell you guys that it is nice to hear men support women's athletic!

Ok i get to show off a little because i love the winter olympics. they had the Olympics in Lake Placid New York in 1932 and in 1980. In both years the US men won the Olympic gold, never happened other than then.

Lake Placid still is a small sleepy New England town but since it has the facilities (skating) , bobsled track (bobsled,luge and skeleton) and ski jumping it became an US Olympic training facility. the other US Olympic training facility is out in Utah. In Canada the training facility is outside Calgary since they hosted the Olympics in 1988.

No 'gators up in these lakes. but an interesting image nonethe less.

I do like women's athletics a lot. i even got to meet Mia Hamm once (see below). I root for US woman's hockey, soccer an basketball because they all have a lot of class. The men's dream teams i am less thrilled with.

ok my favorite woman's athletics commercial old but still great.

Anybody see the atrocious gladiator that was suppose to rally the Ottawa fans? I don't even think the lions yawned.

Montreal won last name!

Washington did not. They need to get it together or else we will have to endure another round of the Broad Street Bullies!

Way to go, Avery the idiot:

"National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell issued a statement Monday to make the league's position clear going forward. The statement said:

"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

So if anyone tried Avery's ploy again, it will be a two-minute penalty."

Source - Avery's antics sparks NHL to make new rule

good!!! that was such a rediculus ploy, i mean, hes not playing the damn game, play and get over yourself

Hahaha!! Where did they get that guy anyway?? And Mr Gladiators mic wouldn't work at first!! Lol.

I've got my broom out and I'm ready for the big SWEEP tonight!!!!

They even have the giant jumbotron set up downtown outside Mellon Arena. So the fans can come down and watch and celebrate!!

GO Pens!!!

Yeaaaa... SID!!! With the open net goal to put the Sen's away and sweep the series....

Beating_rug_2.gif

4 games to zip...

reddance.gif
reddance.gif
reddance.gif
reddance.gif

Now how did I know you were going to comment on the Penguin sweep?

Congratulations to the Pens for a job well done.

It is kind of sad that Ottawa was one of the best teams prior to Christmas.

From Emery's BS to losing the coach, it's amazing they even made the 1st round.

NYR beat NJ, so it's do or die for NJ next game.

Even though I hate Avery - did I mention that before - I think NYR is the better team.

Does anyone have any predictions for the second round?

I am surprised that no one - Tony - has not posted anything positive about the ducks. Oh wait, the ducks, they'll be gone after this round so what's the point. quack quack

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Now how did I know you were going to comment on the Penguin sweep?Congratulations to the Pens for a job well done.

It is kind of sad that Ottawa was one of the best teams prior to Christmas.

From Emery's BS to losing the coach, it's amazing they even made the 1st round.

NYR beat NJ, so it's do or die for NJ next game.

Even though I hate Avery - did I mention that before - I think NYR is the better team.

Does anyone have any predictions for the second round?

I am surprised that no one - Tony - has not posted anything positive about the ducks. Oh wait, the ducks, they'll be gone after this round so what's the point. quack quack

Yay Penguins...boooo ducks hahahah(sorry Tony ahah)

Did everyone on this thread make a pick for who they thought would be in the final? I mean other than their favorite team they root for?

Final - Penguins vs Redwings and the Pens win in 7 games!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

And as far as the second round - Pens win.. Doesn't matter who they play!! Lol. With Crosby and Malkin... And Hossa... Ruutu... Mallone... Everyone is hot (in the hockey playing sense of the word, Carolyn!! Lol) and producing!! Gary Roberts didn't even play in game 4... Flury is like a steel wall!!

OK hockey boys and girls, I found another interesting piece of trivia that you can add to your trophy cases.

Does anybody know what's a Gordie Howe Hat Trick?

It occures when a player gets a goal, an assist and into a fight, all in the same game.

Source - Gordie Howe hat trick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've been watching the Washington/Philadelphia game all night. It's tied 3 to 3 and just starting the second overtime period.

Hahahah Never heard of a GH Hat Trick... I remember Gordie!!! Played for the Red Wings almost forever... And his two sons.... Didn't all play together for the Whalers for a few seasons? I know what a natural hat trick is... 3 in a row or in the same period... For me a Karren Hat Trick is 3 in the same season!! lol

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've been watching the Washington/Philadelphia game all night. It's tied 3 to 3 and just starting the second overtime period.

ok i started watching this it was all tied up, i watched both OT only to see that mess that resulted in Washington lose. Second bitter loss in a row i saw. i think they're done. Top team? maybe Montreal

Oh Darla, don't give up on Washington! I really want them to take Philadelphia!

They play again on Saturday around 12:30 pm. The series is 3 - 2. If Washington wins, they still have one more chance to take the series.

I don't like Philadelphia - I never thought they deserved to get into the playoffs.

Karren - a hat trick is three goals in a hockey game. Doesn't matter if they are three in a row or in one period or all three. Even Sid would tell you that...

Tonight, NJ plays NYR. NYR could take this one and move on.

Personally, I don't care which team wins becasue neither will make it to the finals. Maybe if Scott Stevens were still playing, he would give Avery one of his knock out checks. One can only dream...

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh Darla, don't give up on Washington! I really want them to take Philadelphia!
They play again on Saturday around 12:30 pm. The series is 3 - 2. If Washington wins, they still have one more chance to take the series.

I don't like Philadelphia - I never thought they deserved to get into the playoffs.

No I am sorry Carolyn I must correct you. (mock surprise) but philly leads that series 3-1. but washington did play very well, their goalie made some amazingly athletic saves. so it comes down to can they win 3 in a row. i guess its possible philly just did it.
Yes its Barry Melrose that is on the morning ESPN coverage. He played for Montreal i think they mentioned. i watch that. No he was not the one to make that suggestion to make half the NHL playoffs by invitation. it was some person on Comcast sports out of philly.

I checked with Wikipedia - it seems that a hat trick is when a player scores three goals in a game. Although people may consider a hat trick as three goals scored in a row, this is commonly confused with a natural hat trick.

Sorry, I should have included this in my prior post.

Source- Hat-trick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Darla, that was a typo. I never make mistakes...

Barry Melrose coached the Los Angelos Kings in the 1993 season. He took the team to the finals that year.

He was a real knob and may have had respect from the Kings, but was a jerk to everyone else.

Back then, Don Cherry predicted that Melrose would fall off his pedestal. I don't always like Cherry but he does know his hockey.

Source - Barry Melrose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Darla, that was a typo. I never make mistakes... ok it is noted.

Did anyone watch the NYR / NJ game on Friday? NYR and will play in the next round. I heard that they might be playing PITT.

Brodeur refused to shake Avery's hand.

Avery then called Brodeur, "Fatso", in an aftergame interview.

Is this men's hockey or boys?

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Brodeur refused to shake Avery's hand.Avery then called Brodeur, "Fatso", in an aftergame interview.

Is this men's hockey or boys?

that sounds like 12 year olds in little league
Hey Caps won! 3-2 I'm happy

Back