The official used it up thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently I have used up:

- Proactiv Green Tea Moisturizer (sample), good product, but there are better moisturizers out there

- Fortune Cookie Soap No Place Like Home Soap- liked the smell, glad I finally got through it. 

- A bottle of sixthirteen WEN- love this as a deep conditioner, doesn't do any cleansing for me though

- Brown Sugar Vanilla Soap Bar- smelled amazing and felt really moisturizing, it was my favorite shower soap. 

How do you guys finish stuff up so quickly?! I only got into make-up a little less than a year ago so most of my stuff is new and I haven't used it frequently, and I don't have foils, except for some UD ones. This no buy gets really depressing with no progress on empties. Do you ladies have any suggestions for me?

@@turntrekgodhead For me, I decided that I was going to try using up the things that I had the smallest amounts of first. That way I can see progress quickly, and it will help to keep me motivated. I looked around at my full size products that were nearing completion and decided to use them every day until they are gone. So instead of using 3 different lip balms, I picked the one with the least amount of product left and am using it exclusively for the time being. I find that when I am using one product of each type instead of constantly switching it up like I used to do, I am making progress more quickly.

I know you said you don't have many foils, and I don't either, but this week I have focused on using the ones I do have (maybe 10?) I don't like them cluttering up stuff anyway, but I don't like to be wasteful either, so the quicker I can move them out, the better.

I am also simply using my products more often. I'm not saving anything for a special occasion--like others have said, every day is a special occasion. Also, I'm trying to do my full face makeup 6 days a week and treating my skin well with plenty of moisturizers, etc.

How do you guys finish stuff up so quickly?! I only got into make-up a little less than a year ago so most of my stuff is new and I haven't used it frequently, and I don't have foils, except for some UD ones. This no buy gets really depressing with no progress on empties. Do you ladies have any suggestions for me?
A couple of years ago I got religious about using products because I decided I wasn't getting any younger and I needed to take care of myself. Since that time, I have been ridiculously committed to skin/body care. Twice a day I cleanse, use a toner, use serum, moisturize and use eye cream. I use eye make up remover, depending on the kind of mascara or eyeliner I happen to be wearing. I do not miss a day...ever. Since I got into the habit of doing that, I've also committed to using a body moisturizer at least once a day. I still miss a day now and then, but for the most part I do it. I don't use up color cosmetics that often, but I do use a lot of skin care.

The key for me is that I am finishing a lot of products. Very rarely do I start and finish a product in a month unless it's a foil or deluxe size.  I have a lot of partially used products, so I have made it a mission to use them up before I open other products now. I still have a few months before I'm down to only one kind of opened product, especially with hair products and masks. I have no idea why I have so many styling products and masks open. Fickle, I guess.

Another thing that helped give me the appearance of using a lot of products is I inventoried everything I had on an excel spreadsheet by category (cleanser, serum, sunscreen, etc) and then I sorted my list in ascending order by product amount. I use the smallest items first. If I happen to get a new sample of something in my Birchbox, it usually goes in my inventory and it gets opened when I've used everything smaller. I say usually, because I do make exceptions if I receive something I've really wanted to try. I know that my list of empties will dramatically reduce when I've used up all of my foils and samples and get into using more full sized products.

Just try to stay committed to using stuff up and pretty soon, you will have a bunch of empties to report!

I wear makeup every day even if I am not doing anything. So, I am cleansing,moisturizing, eye creaming it, etc. twice a day.  So, I can get through products fairly quick.

In the shower, I have a whole different set of products getting used every day.

I don't rotate products either. So, I commit to the cleanser, moisturizer, etc until its "used up".  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Or if I can't take it anymore, it gets tossed and ends up in the "trash can" thread.

My next post of 10 products will contain a lot of foils.  But, I really don't have a lot of them myself. 

You can do it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my next 10 items. I feel like I cheated because its mostly foils. So, it hasn't been long since my last post.

Deluxe:
Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Polish - This was very abrasive. It was not pleasant to use. I don't have sensitive skin and use many products with texture. So, no thanks.

Korres Mattifying Pomegranite Primer - This primer looks like its going to add color to your skin as it looks like a foundation. But, it goes on without any detection. It gave me no issues but, I am still not in love with any primers so far.

Urban Decay Sin Eye Primer - This had sparkle in it and looks like an eye shadow base color. I don't like to accentuate too much shimmer. I think I am done testing this brand of primers as none have worked out well for me.

Ro's Argan Body Conditioner - I am probably one of the few that don't love this (Rose Jam) scent. However, I love the Lush Body Conditioner products and would gladly use this if given to me. On the skin it does fade to a scent that is fresh.  So, I can see myself growing to like it.  I will always have a body conditioner from Lush in my shower.

Foils:
Sunday Riley Ceramic Cleanser - This was one use so, I don't know if it would do right by my skin over time. It reminded me of Slime, the stuff that used to come in a can as a kid. It was lighter in consistency and color but, it brought that memory. Not a bad thing. Just what came to mind.

DHC Pore Face Wash - One time use so hard to tell.

First Aid Beauty Facial Cleanser - Also a one time use. I have a deluxe size to try so, I should get a better understanding of this one when I use that.

Nude Perfect Cleanse - One time uses just don't work for me. I try to give every product a real good test. That means multiple days.  I can't even remember how this was.

Boscia Detoxifing black cleanser - This was the one foil that had potential and made me want to try more. I liked the warming effect on my skin. This has to be waking up my skin or something. If I see this in a deluxe size or GWP type of deal, I will grab it.

Full Size:
Lush Butterball Bath Bomb - This was my first bomb and purchased based on scent/ingredients. Its not a fancy bomb with amazing effects. The bath water was moisturized and smelled nice. I wish there were more Lush products with this scent.

Trashed items posted with reviews in the trashed thread:

Revlon eye art

Kat Von D Tatoo Liner

Cynthia Rowley Lip Stain

Estee Lauder Pure Color eye shadow palette

Tisseran Rose Blend Deodorant

So I had hoped to use up 10 items the past 10 days, and I totally thought I didn't make it.  But I just counted and I used exactly 10!!!  :lol:

Full Size:

B&BW Secret Wonderland Shower Gel (10 fl. oz): I actually like this scent a lot, I'm actually working through the fine fragrance mist as well.  I got the whole set as a gift last Christmas from some kids I babysit.  I'm pretty glad I finished it though because it isn't moisturizing enough for my super dry skin right now.  But it is pretty great in summer.

Deluxe Size:

Bio True Contact Solution (2 fl. oz): This is actually a full size I think, but it's so tiny.  I love this stuff!  I have a big bottle of cheap stuff to use next though.  

St. Tropez Everyday Body Moisturizer Medium Dark Gradual Tan (2.5 fl. oz): I really like all St. Tropez stuff.  This helped me to have a pretty nice tan, but it isn't very gradual (which isn't a problem for me, since I hardly ever use gradual items).  I just wish this brand was less expensive.

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream (.5 oz): I got this sample from my mom's boss and I love this stuff!  It is so moisturizing and that is exactly what I need!  I have tons of hand cream samples to use up but I think I might buy this stuff at some point.

Benefit Porefessional (.25 fl. oz): I like this primer a lot.  Not as much as my favorite Smashbox primer though.  And it's way more expensive.  I kind of felt like it made my skin really really dry.

purminerals Correcting Primer (.3 fl. oz): I got this sample from Birchbox a long time ago and I just realized it only had about 1 use left.  I did not like this stuff at all.  Even the pump on the sample sucked.  I feel like crappy products should at least have good packaging.

Sephora made sample of the Smashbox photo finish blemish control primer (tiny): I actually really liked this, but I like all the Smashbox primers I have tried.

Skin 79 Super+ Beblesh Balm, Gold Tube (uhh kinda small): I got this in a trade forever ago and I finally just finished it.  I wish the tube had been easier to squeeze.  Pretty good product, but way too pink for my skin.

Vichy Aqualia Thermal Moisturizer (.5 fl. oz): I have one more sample of this stuff.  I like it, but it doesn't seem to be super duper moisturizing (I do have crazy dry skin) and sometimes it burns a little bit.  I liked the serum so much better.  I think I got this sample in Glossybox.  Wouldn't repurchase, not thick enough for me.

Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper (.007 fl. oz.): I got this from Sephora forever ago and I loved it!  This stuff is so great!  I bought the eyeko liquid liner in black and I am going to see which of these two I like better.  I only got that one because I could use birchbox points on it and I'm pretty broke right now.

Overall, it was a pretty good ten days.  Hopefully I'll continue to use up my overabundance of products.

Looks like I'm finally out of Duo eyelash glue.  Though I have a bunch of mini-tubes that come with various lashes, I find none of them hold as well as the Duo stuff.  Hope my online order arrives soon!

Ok here are my weekly used up and trashed items:

Ponds Original Fresh Wet Cleansing Toweletts 30 pack. I like these ok. I really love that they are a 30 count vs most of the 25 counts. My fave are always the Neutrogena but I like to try new ones for some reason haha!

Neutrogena Make-Up Remover Cleansing Towelettes 7 pack. These are my fave and I love that they come in a travel pack. Will definitely repurchase. These actually can take off a full face of makeup with one towelette. 

Bronze Glow Tinted Sunless Spray tanner from ULTA in Light to Medium - 6 fl oz. I love this stuff. Really works. I am fairly tan but the light to medium keeps me tan during the winter. No streaking and great spray nozzle for even distribution. Not too bad of a smell. I spray on at night so that in the AM I don't smell too bad the rest of the day. 

Toni & Guy Prep Heat Protection Mist 75 ml - Got this from Birchbox. Love the smell and it actually works well as a prep spray too. Gives me a little volume too. I may repurchase but have so much hair prep and prime stuff right now. 

Paula's Choice Resist C15 Super Booster - sample size - I think I got this in a Birchbox. I love serums but I did not like this one. The smell is terrible. However, the color was an orangey color which gave me a bit of a glow so I did like this. Won't repurchase. 

Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pad - Got this in an order on Sephora. I love these things. They are a mild peel pad and give a mild bronze effect. They give me a bit of redness like a peel for the first 12-24 hours so I like doing this 24-48 hours before I need a glow and clear skin. Will repurchase and actually have half a pack as a back up. 

Philosophy Hope in A Jar Night cream 12 ml - This says it is an intense retexturizing moisturizer. I do think it is moisturizing but I don't know about re-texturizing. I do enjoy Philosophy products and typically the smell is great but this one seemed to have an odd smell to me. Not sure if the sample sat around for too long but I did not enjoy the smell and there are many other night creams out there that I love more.

Bare Minerals Advanced Protection SPF 20 Moisturizer - 5 ml - I liked this moisturizer ok but love others better. Things I enjoy are the mild scent, high SPF and absorbs easily. Won't likely repurchase though. 

Murad Rapid Collagen Infusion 5 ml - I am totally into trying collagen boosting products right now. This one was great. Saw minor change but it was ultimately just a 5 ml sample so I think with regular use, you can fill in some of those fine wrinkles. It is moisturizing and lightweight so it absorbs quickly. May repurchase. 

TRASHED - I actually donated these items below. My friend takes items that are hygienic and donates them to a women's shelter. 

Eminence Organic Skin Care Lemon Cleanser - 8 oz - I got this on Skin Care by Alana website. It leaves a filmy residue on my skin and have to actually use another face cleanser to wash that off. 

Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream 0.42 oz - I donated this because I tried it in a full size many years ago and I did not enjoy the super greasy feel and old lady smell. I know it is a classic but I just don't like it. 

I have a question for the group. I recently started what will probably be a very long "Use It Up"/No Buy and I'm doing good. I'm totally motivated and have already topped off a few things (looking at you Clinique Take the Day Off). But...I just realized that there are a few lipsticks and glosses in my collection that, if I really think about it, I can't even remember when I got/opened them...surely it's been years. They all smell ok, but I'm not sure if I should just bite the bullet and toss them to be safe or if I should charge on and use them up ASAP. 

Opinions please!

I have a question for the group. I recently started what will probably be a very long "Use It Up"/No Buy and I'm doing good. I'm totally motivated and have already topped off a few things (looking at you Clinique Take the Day Off). But...I just realized that there are a few lipsticks and glosses in my collection that, if I really think about it, I can't even remember when I got/opened them...surely it's been years. They all smell ok, but I'm not sure if I should just bite the bullet and toss them to be safe or if I should charge on and use them up ASAP. 

Opinions please!
I usually go by whether they smell/look bad, but here's a resource for checking expirations:

http://checkcosmetic.net/

@@emccoll I have a few lippies that are probably too old, but if it smells ok, I use it. I'm more likely to toss out a lip gloss since it's fairly easy to sanitize a lipstick.

I used up my Pacifica Coconut Cleansing Wipes, my Fekkai hair mask sample, and a thing of body glitter

ETA: Almost forgot my Veet Hair Removal Cream!

Opinions please!
I agree with @jesemiaud. I'll keep a lipstick indefinitely if it still seems ok, but opened lipgloss, well, only if it's a sanitary application, like a squeeze tube. Having said that I'll still keep a lipgloss for a good couple of years  :rolleyes: until I deem it too old.

Thanks, guys! I'm going to make a commitment to use stuff more consistently- hand cream twice a day, lotion once a day, lipliner and eyeliner instead of getting lazy and skipping those. Also lighting a candle every night!
It sounds great that you can focus on enjoying more of your things regularly to keep yourself motivated on the no-buy! Honestly, I don't feel I go through things nearly as fast as it seems some folks on here do either. But I was reviewing what I've used lately and realized I tossed something before I even noted it down or took a photo, so maybe sometimes I'm missing out on things due to auto-pilot! The 'use-up' inclination also battles with my frugal tendencies. I think I use less when something is closer to empty, and when I like something. I dilute my shower gel and dispense it in a foaming pump, which will not help use it up quickly. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

[SIZE=10pt]Items used up in January (a fabulous month of finishing some things up):[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Full Size:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10pt]Lush Bubble Bar[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] (not sure which one...the label came off of the cello bag it was in) - haven't had a bad Lush bubble bar.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Lush Bath Bomb Northern Lights[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - loved this, but not quite as moisturizing as some other bath bombs from Lush.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Lush Bath Bomb Sparkler Ballistic[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - smelled nice; what a glitter bomb! Although I didn't notice a lot of glitter on my skin for which I'm grateful.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Lush Mask of Magnaminty[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I liked it ok, but not enough to repurchase. It's not necessarily what my dry skin needs. I don't feel that it was drying per se; I actually liked the minty-ness. I just think that there are masks that are better suited for my skin type.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Fortune Cookie Soap Co Hydrate Me! in I Pledge Allegiance, Amen[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I adore these...and this scent was nice. It smelled a lot like original formula Skin So Soft to me, which isn't a bad thing. Just a fresh scent in my opinion. I'd love to get more of these sometime.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Fortune Cookie Soap Co Bend Over and I'll Show You Bath Bomb[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - good golly...what a mess! It smelled glorious and was really moisturizing, but it was very green and left green glittery sludge all over me and the tub. Yuck! [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Healthy Sexy Hair Sulfate Free Soy Moisturizing Shampoo[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - one of my favorite brands. I'm sure I'll purchase again when Beauty Brands has their July Liter Sale.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]ModelCo Party Proof Lipstick in Kitty[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I'm not sure why I kept using this. I really liked the color on me, but it feathered, even with a lip liner (party proof, it definitely was not). I'm glad to be done with this.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Philosophy Hope in a Jar A to Z cream[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - It was ok. I won't repurchase.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Urban Decay Chill Makeup Setting Spray[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I love this and have another as a back up.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Fortune Cookie Soap Co. Sally (Nightmare before Christmas) fortune cookie soap[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I'm not sure whether to count this as a full sized item or not, but it's the size it comes in, so I'll put it here. I loved the scent. I used it primarily to clean my makeup brushes or to wash my hands.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Julep Eye Sheen Dusty Taupe Shimmer[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I really, really liked this. It looks like it's been discontinued, however. I do have another one in a different shade that I'll use up, but I loved how neutral and versatile this taupe shade was.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Up & Up Nail Polish Remover Dip-it[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - fantastic! Effective for glitter polish removal and super cheap. I'll purchase again once I've used up some other removers I have in my stash.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sephora Soft Touch Cotton Pads[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - fine. I like the Shiseido cotton squares much better, but these are ok. I use them for nail polish removal mostly and save the Shiseido for my face.[/SIZE]
Deluxe Size:

• [SIZE=10pt]StriVectin Labs 5-Minute Weekly Glycolic Peel[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - left my skin feeling very soft. No other benefits that I noted. I wouldn't purchase, but I'd use again if I got another free one.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Kate Somerville ExfoliKate[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I like this a lot, but not as much as other scrubs. I'd use it if I got it free or in a sub, but I won't go out of my way to purchase.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Lush Charity Pot Hand and Body Lotion[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - They reformulated this and I'm bummed. I think you can buy the original formula still...just not for charity. I won't purchase again. I just don't like it as much. I was really excited when I cleaned out under my sink and found an original charity pot. Score![/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Hand and Body Lotion Wipes - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]I love the scent and the idea of these, but they dried out too quickly. I had to add a little water to the last few and I think that probably defeated the purpose. I wouldn't purchase with this kind of packaging.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Ole Henriksen The Clean Truth Cleansing Cloths[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - These were ok, but no better than Yes to or other cheaper brands. I wouldn't purchase.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Olay Regenerist Tone Perfecting Cream[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - meh.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Estee Lauder Advanced Time Zone Night Cream[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - very moisturizing. I really liked it.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sexy Hair Blow Dry Volumizing Gel[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I love this and have a full size that I keep at home. I don't need volume, but this keeps my curls in check. I'll continue to purchase this product.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Peter Thomas Roth Mega-Rich Shampoo[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - nothing special.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Guerlain Maxi Lash Volume Creating Curl Sculpting Mascara[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - loved this sample. I have a lifetime supply of mascaras to use, but I'll note this one and perhaps purchase one day if I ever run out.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - This, I liked! At first, I was concerned because it seemed to gray, but it oxidized quickly and blended with my skin tone beautifully. It lasted all day on me and had good coverage. I'll be remembering this for future purchases.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I was so glad to be done with this. It was hard to blend because it was so white! And the scent was too strong. Fortunately, that dissipated somewhat fast or it would have been unbearable. I won't purchase.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Body Lotion - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]ok[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sephora Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - works fairly well. Not sure I'd purchase.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Philosophy Snow Angel Shower Gel [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I adore this scent and will purchase it again. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - not moisturizing enough.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Body Wash [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I liked this ok.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Cream [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]- I liked this ok. No miracle worker, but it seemed to prevent additional aging.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Skin & Co Truffle Therapy Serum - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]ok [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Urban Decay Supercurl Mascara[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - This was my purse mascara and I decided that it was finally time to call it quits. I'm sure it's been in my purse for well over three months. I liked the formula ok; I'm not a fan of plastic brushes, though. I'd take another free sample, but I won't purchase.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Supergoop Hand Cream[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - probably the worst hand cream I've ever tried. Did not moisturize at all. It even felt like it was sucking moisture out of my skin. So hard to describe how it felt, but it was awful.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Dr. Brandt Pores No More Pore Refiner - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]ok[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Fekkai Glossing Cream [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - it was ok...not something I'd buy, though.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Bliss Grapefruit and Aloe Body Butter - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]smelled so nice and really moisturizing. I won't need any kind of lotion for a while, but when I do, this will be on the list.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Essentiel Elements Body Lotion[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I know it's a polarizing scent, but I love the rosemary mint. Very energizing and reminds me of an Aveda lotion that I like. I can see using Birchbox points for this.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Perlier Shea Butter Lavender Intensive Nurturing Body Balm - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]very relaxing to use at night before bed. I love lavender and this is a nice and rich body butter. I'm not sure I'd purchase, but I would definitely use again if I received another sample.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sisley Black Rose Cream Mask[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - it was ok.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream Oil[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I like the regular argan oil better, but this is pretty good for winter skin. It would be much too heavy any other time of year.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]L'Occitane Lavande Hand Cream[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - not my favorite hand cream, but it's ok.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Mario Badescu Collagen Moisturizer[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - felt fairly nice for daytime use.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Ernest Supplies Awake & Exfoliate Body Bar[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - came in the Birchbox Man box; hubby is like me and won't use bar soap, so I used this as I do any other bar soap that comes my way - to wash makeup brushes and sponges. It worked really well for that purpose and smelled great![/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Parian Spirit[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] Brush Cleaner - Eh...not super impressed. It smells really strong (not a horrible smell, just strong). I purchased this along with a full size based on a review from a makeup artist and I gotta say...I like using my soap samples better, lol. I won't repurchase.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Foils/One time use:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10pt]Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturizer[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - not moisturizing enough for me, although maybe in the summer it wouldn't be bad.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Kate Somerville ExfoliKate[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - see above.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]DHC Concentrated Eye Cream - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]not enough of a sample to be able to make much of a comment.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Verso Super Serum for Eyes - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]There was enough in the sample to use several times and I really liked how the foil seemed to have a hard plastic back that split open in the center to get the product out. It wasn't resealable, but I was able to close it up enough to keep the contents from drying out.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]DHC Velvet Skin Coat - [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]I love this. After I've used up several of my products, I will consider purchasing.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]DHC Deep Cleansing Oil -[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] I love how DHC sends you samples inside their catalog, however, this one is not a favorite. It smells like straight up olive oil to me. Not a fan, although, it did do a fine job of cleansing.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] x 3 - I've had these samples before...they are pretty good.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]DHC Extra Nighttime Moisturizer[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - It's a decent nighttime moisturizer. Creamy and feels nice.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Fearless[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - This really should be up in the deluxe section because I got about 5-6 days use out of it. I lovely pink shade and it lasted all day on my skin. If I'm ever in the market for blush, I'll definitely consider this brand.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Josie Maran Bear Naked Nail Wipes[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - completely terrible as a nail polish remover. Takes forever to get the polish off. It is nice to use after the polish is off to condition the cuticles. I have a full size of this as well that I received in a gift set. I'll eventually use it, but I wouldn't purchase on its own.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I liked how this felt. Nice and thick. Not really enough product to make a decision about it.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar Eye[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I got about three or four days use out of this (using twice a day), so it was a generous sample. I liked how it felt, not sure I saw any great results from that little bit of use; I'd definitely take another sample and when I run out of eye creams, I'll consider purchasing.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Paul Mitchell Original Shampoo One [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - meh.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Garnier Fructis Fortifying Shampoo and Conditioner X 2[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I liked that this was sulfate free. I will consider this as an alternative to the more expensive brands that I've purchased in the past.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Loreal Age Perfect Cell Renewal Golden Serum[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - this was such a pretty color, lol. Not really enough product to make a decision.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Loreal Age Perfect Cell Renewal Day Cream[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - felt nice enough. Not really enough product to determine whether I like it enough to purchase.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Baume Du Randonneur Hiker's Foot[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] Healer - felt really nice on my feet.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Peter Thomas Roth Mega Rich Conditioner[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - this was in a plastic tube, but it was quite a bit smaller than the shampoo. Only one use. It's ok...nothing special.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Perfume Samples:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10pt]Desigual Fun[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - light and summery; fruity. I really liked it and would definitely grab more samples in the future if I saw them.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Gucci Premiere[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I liked this ok. The white floral notes were too prominent, though. Wouldn't purchase.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Especially Escada[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - ok; I didn't really pick up on the rose that was supposed to be in the top notes.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Eau de Cartier Goutte de Rose [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]- ok; It was supposed to smell like freshly picked garden roses, but I didn't get that.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Bond No 9 I Love New York for Earth Day[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - very floral. A little too much lily of the valley for my taste. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Atelier Trefle Pur[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I love most Atelier fragrances, but this is just a little too much patchouli.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Clean Original[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - absolutely love it. I think it's my favorite of the Clean fragrances.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Tossed:[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=10pt]Bare Minerals Lash Domination Mascara Sample[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - Clumptastic! Did not like at all.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Etre Belle Liplift Peel[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I opened to check it out when I received it, but then stuck it in the closet while I finished another lip scrub that I was already using. This must have turned, because it smells really bad.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sue Devitt C-Weed Pressed Powder[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I was really hoping to just use this up, but I've come to realize that it just doesn't look nice. It seems cakey on my skin and I have other powders that aren't. It's dumb to try to use something just because I want to "use it up". I'm finished with that mindset. If I don't like it, it's gone![/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Julep Amber and Brit[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - These are suede finish polishes and no matter what I try these chip on me within 24 hours. Ain't nobody got time for that![/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Jane Iredale Moisture Tint[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - just terrible. The color was fine, but it was just a weird texture and would not blend into my skin.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Nails Inc Cornwall[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - It was about half gone, but it completely dried up. Thinner wouldn't even revive it.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]SOPI Already Famous[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I think I will just not buy these minis any more. This came in a set, but I can't remember what collection it was. I am finding that in the last several months that I am tossing many of the SOPI minis that I have. No amount of nail polish thinner would get this flowing again. Such a disappointment since it was a lovely color. I think I should focus on using up my SOPI minis in the near future.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Chella Eyeliner[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I don't care for the felt tip type of eyeliner. I have a couple of other Navy liners and decided to toss this one since I don't feel the love.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Wet n Wild Kaleidoscope[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - another polish that completely solidified since I'd worn it last. It was quite old and I got it in a circular swap, so not too broken up about it.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]The New Black Typography set[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - just wasn't feeling it of late and the polishes have seen better days.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sheer Cover Extra Length Mascara[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] - I got this mascara as a freebie for trying out some mineral makeup. I really loved how it made my lashes look, but to take it off at the end of the day was such a mess. No matter what I used to try and remove it (I tried three different kinds of waterproof eye makeup remover, various cleansers and wipes and even coconut oil), it would turn gummy and sticky and just took forever to clean up. By then my eyes were irritated and I was afraid I was pulling out my eyelashes. I was only able to last a week with this. Not worth the effort when there are other mascaras I like as well that clean up much easier. [/SIZE]

I've been a part of the 100 empties in 100 days thread, and since today is the 30th of the year, I'm here to post everything I finished this month!

Cumulative Count from Day 1:

Days 1-10: 8 full size, 8 deluxe/foil size

Days 11-20: 6 full size items, 12 deluxe/foil size

Days 21-30: 7 full size, 7 deluxe size, 7 foil size

Cumulative total: 21 full size, 34 deluxe/foil size: 55 total

Janempties1.JPG

Full Size:

1. B&BW Ski Lodge 3-wick candle- Nice for Fall, but won't repurchase.

2. Physician's Formula mascara- Alright, but won't repurchase.

3. Kroger make-up remover- Like it, but I have my own DIY version now.

4. Epielle make-up wipes- Will repurcahse- good for a quick wipe-down or removing first stage of makeup.

5. Shea butter- This is from my local co-op and it's so creamy and great. It's raw shea butter. Use it for foot and hand cream.

6. Method handsoap- This was a tomato vine scent, which I love!

7. Rite Aid oil blotting papers- decent. Had to use 6 at a time. Need more than when using Clean and Clear blue oil sheets.

Deluxe Size:

8. Lavanila travel size deodorant- Love this forever. Smells great, controls smell, cools underarms, absorbs moisture, is perfect for travel and keeping in your purse for afternoon touch-ups.

9. B&BW Pumpkin and Gingerbread candle- Liked it a lot. Delisch!

10. Nude Genius Oil- Enjoyed this. Won't purchase as it's mainly rosehip seed oil.

11. Colgate Total mouthwash- Good because doesn't have alcohol, but somehow I didn't like it. Made my mouth dry in the morning.

12. REN glycolic lactic acid radiance mask- LOVE. Would consider buying full size at some point in the future.

13. Ren rose centriflora cleansing balm- TOO FRAGRANCED. Hurts my eyes like the devil. If it weren't for that and the price, I'd repurchase.

14. Fresh Sugar rose lip balm- Melts. Don't like the scent or the feeling on lips. Would not buy full size.

Foil Size:

15. Generic nail polish remover wipe- crappy

16. Eyeglass lense cleaning wipe- great!

17. Fresh Soy facewash- meh, everyone raves about it but it isn't that great and it smells like edamame.

18. Josie Maran BareNaked nail wipes- WOW, blown away at how good these are. May purchase full size someday.

19. Origins Mega Bright moisturizer with SPF- Love it, but it's not cruelty free, so I won't purchase FS.

20. Sephora body butter- Surprised by how nice this was. Thick enough for use as hand cream, pleasant smell, not too overpowering. Very moisturizing.

21. Murad Intensive-C peel--Amazing. Must consider buying FS.

Ok ladies, here are my empties for Days 11-20:

Janempties2.JPG

6 full size items

12 samples

1. Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner FS- my HG conditioner. Silicone-free.

2. Acne.org Treatment FS- pretty great benzoyl peroxide treatment for acne- gentle.

3. St. Ives Green Tea Scrub FS- won't repurchase, but better than their apricot scrob. Finished this off on my legs.

4. Lavanila The Healthy Sunscreen FS- LOVE this, it's my HG sunscreen moisturizer

5. Red Apple Lipstick The Lash Project FS (actually could probably still use this, but it's 5.5 months old and is starting to flake when I wear it, so it's time to toss it). But this is my HG mascara, really love it!

6. Lush Sexy Peel bar FS- LOVE THIS will repurchase when I finish all my other soaps.

7. Jurlique Herbal Serum sample- yuck, too fragranced for my tastes

8. PTR Cucumber mask sample- pretty great, very hydrating! Enjoyable!

9. Tokyomilk Dark Tainted Love hand cream sample- Liked it but didn't love it. Wont' purchase full size

10. Algenist gel moisturizer sample- Don't remember much about it. Not moisturizing enough for the winter.

11. Aloette restorative enzyme peel sample- Kinda good, kinda stingy, but also a very old sample.

12. Korres Quercerin anti-aging serum- Didn't really notice much.

13. Fresh Seaberry oil sample- LOVE THIS, may have to purchase some seabuckthorn oil in the future.

14. Nail polish remover sample- didn't really work properly.

15. Alcohol phone cleaner wipe- yep, you know, just a wipe with alcohol. Did the job.

16. Agave hair oil treatment sample (second and last sample of this)- Kind of loved it, but then hated it when I found out it was full of silicones.

17. Mini B&BW candle in Leaves (looks like there's a lot left but that's just spilled wax on the side- I can't get the candle to light anymore. Loved the scent, though. Good for Fall.

18. Crest Whitestrips- Wore it too long and my teeth were sensitive for several days after. Worth it to get these instead of the off-brand.

The first 10 days of the 100-day challenge, I used up 16 items (8 full size, 8 deluxe/foil size)!!!!!

Janempties3.JPG

Items used:

1. Epielle collagen cleansing cloths full size (my favorite of all the Epielle cloths)
  2. Nude genius treatment oil foil sample (pretty nice)
  3. Paula's Choice Skin Balancing toner full size (holy grail hydrating toner)
  4. Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting exfoliant  full size(holy grail BHA chemical exfoliant)
  5. Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar foil sample (decent, but nothing special)
  6. Paula's Choice Resist C15 serum full size (HG vitamin C and antioxidant serum)
  7. Dr. Dennis Gross Hydrating Concentrate full size (wasn't impressed- stick to the ferulic + retinol solution)
  8. Josie Maran Argan Oil Light medium size (pretty great at sealing in moisture! But any facial oil will do)
  9. Sukin Rosehip Oil full size(awesome and cheap at TJMaxx)
  10. Ren Bioretinoid deluxe size(pretty much just rosehip oil with a bunch of plant extracts- stick to the rosehip oil)
  11. Goldbond hand lotion travel size (decent, but won't repurchase)
  12. Tarte detox mask facial deluxe size (pretty good I guess, but difficult to spread and dries out skin, next time would use as a spot treatment, but won't be repurchasing)
  13. Agave oil hair treatment tetra pack (pretty awesome, but then realized it's just full of silicones, won't purchase)
  14. Glamglow Eye Mud sample size (used 1 of the sample eye pods- pretty cool, but no discernable difference)
  15. B&BW Twilight Woods hand sanitizer travel size(a little too fragranced for my tastes)
  16. Acne.org Moisturizer full size (my HG nighttime moisturizer)

January finishes--good month for me!!

Full sized

Shea moisture lemongrass and ginger soap. LOVE THIS!

Skin apothecary soy body whip-LOVE THIS TOO!

Ulta finishing powder

Bbw hand soap x2

Yes to face wipes

Lancôme night creme

Deep steep hand cream- loved !

Amika curl defining cream

Burts bees face wipes

Deluxe size

Vasanti brighten up

English laundry perfume spray

Amika hair mask

Kneipp lavender bath oil

Etsy bath salts

Flo+theo body butter in lemon orchard. Loved it!

Caudalie shower gel

Balanced guru body balm

Dr Hauschka cleansing cream

Snowberry day cream

Dear Clark shampoo

Dear Clark conditioner

Laura mercier face polish

Benefit total moisture face cream

Davines replumping solution

Beauty protect and detangle-love

Yarok condition your ends

Philosophy purity face wash

Foils

Bliss that's incredi-peel. Didn't like this too much burning for my skin

La fresh makeup remover wipe

Dermadoctor body scrub

Kerastase shampoo

Strivectin moisturizer

PhilosophyTime in a bottle

Lancôme genifique

Philosophy miracle worker eye repair

Tossed

Buxom eye liner- who would have thought I would hate this so much esp since buxom mascara is my HG

Smash box lip lacquer in coral. Formula was nice just not a flattering color in me

Doing this now because I have time and I don't think I'll finish anything before tomorrow. SUCH a good month for me. Need to keep up on the sample using, it's going really well! Viva no buy!!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

FULL SIZE

Haus of Gloi Pumpkin Butter in Golden Corn Cakes: Smells like corn bread! Liked it, would buy again if it came back. 

Lancome Nutrix Royal Body Lotion: Smelled nice! Not as old lady as some Lancome stuff does. Wouldn't pay the $27 the charge for it, but it was nice.

Fortune Cookie Soap Hydrate Me in Sparky: LOOVEEEEE the Sparky scent and love hydrate me. 

L'Oreal Miss Manga MascaraSurprisingly, I liked this. L'Oreal mascaras are not typically my favorite but this was actually ok! Flaked a tiny bit but nothing awful. I may buy it again. 

B&BW 3-Wick Candle in Marshmallow FiresideZero throw on this. Which sucks because it smelled really good. Just not a good candle, think it was a dud, wicks drowning after it was 1/2 done. Boo. 

Lush Charity Pot: It's lotion that doesn't smell offensive so I keep at it my desk at work. No real thoughts on it. It is what it is. 

B&BW Triple Moisture Cream in Into the Wild: Liked this scent! Typical B&BW but I enjoyed it. I will always have TMC on hand. Always. 

Ulta Brand Cotton Balls: They're cotton balls. They're not the P.O.S CVS brand ones. 

Aveeno Creamy Moisturizing Oil: OMG this was old and I don't know that I've ever been so happy to have an empty as I was with this. It was fine. Wouldn't re-buy (not even sure they still make this, it was legit like.....you don't want to know how old).

Fortune Cookie Soap (like the actual fortune cookie soap) in Squirrel: This scent was fine, soaps are super cute, but it was pretty drying. 

Fortune Cookie Soap Whipped Cream in Sparky Love WC. Love Sparky. Can't buy it anymore, but fun fact Retro Cremes and Perfumes on Etsy has a "pumpkin pecan waffle" scent that smells identical so yay?

Walgreens brand Pink Grapefruit Face Wipes: Used for swatches so whatever. 

Beauty Bar Baby lip balm in Strawberry Shortcake: Hands down my favorite lip balm. Which actually....these aren't that moisturizing. I've noticed since starting something different that it's working much better. But these feel so GOOD going on, and the smell OMG the smell. I will forever re-buy.

Love these so much. 
Clean and Clear Continuous Control Acne CleanserThis was good! My skin responds well to Benzyl Peroxide. Used this only on my chin when it would break out (too drying on the rest of my face) and it calmed stuff down. Using something else now, but I would buy this again.  

B&BW Foaming Hand Soap in Mandarin Blossom: Smelled good. Slightly drying. Aka the usual B&BW foam soap review. Yet I continue to buy them so it can't be that bad.

Big Sexy Hair Sulfate Free Volumizing Conditioner:  Liter gone!! It smelled good. That's really all I can say nicely about it. Would not re-buy. 

DELUXE

​Prada Candy fragrance vial: some days I love this, some days I hated it. Wouldn't buy it.

Savor Whipped Soap in Pumpkin Eggnog: Oh pumpkin eggnog. How I love you so. This was seriously maybe my favorite whipped soap of all time. LOVE Savor's formula, this smelled like a stick of Big Red with a little creaminess mixed in. So so so  so so freaking good. Will 100% rebuy. 

Backstreet Makeup Company eyeshadow in Gingah: Project Pan Indie Sample product! Liked this, super neutral light brown, blended well, I love her stuff. Will buy a full size as I don't own a lot of matte indie shades, and this is a good one. 

Nars Pro Prime Light Optimizing Primer: Eh. Wouldn't but it. It was ok. 

Laneige Water Sleeping MaskI liked this!!!! Good overnight moisturizer, I might say I even liked it better than thirsty mud. It was lighter and absorbed a lot better on me so my pillow didn't get nasty. Would consider buying a big one. 

Dolce and Gabbana The One fragrance vial: Slightly grandma-ish on me but it was ok. Wouldn't buy it. 

Jimmy Choo Flash fragrance vial: This was a chore to use. I opened this, um, last summer and liked it then. Pulled it back out to finish it off and not a fan. Maybe it went bad or something? 

Performance Colors Light and Smooth Foundation (x2: Light Cool and Fair Cool): My first foray into indie foundation. This was actually very nice. Slightly more coverage than I want but when I used it, my chin was going nuts and it covered it well. Smells like vanilla. I may buy this. Just wish there was a lighter formula of it. Cool light was the better color match.

Shiro Cosmetics Nic Cage Churning Butter One Crisp Thanksgiving Morning Lip Gloss: Holy name, batman. Anyways, this was slightly more brown than I wanted it to be, but smelled and felt really nice! 

Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint: This was nice! Color was a litttttle bit dark but I could make it work. Good for days when I didn't want to wear a lot of makeup. Don't know that I'd BUY it, but I may pick it up with some BB points. 

Clean Rain fragrance vial: This was fine, but wrong season for it. Smelled like spring. Like all Clean perfumes, it lasted approximately 8 minutes on me. 

FOIL/SINGLE USE

Becca Ultimate Cover Complexion Creme (x2) in Sand and Cashmere: This was interesting. It's definitely full coverage which I'm not usually into. When you first put it on, it's like HOLY MAKEUP and I was terrified. But this sets BEAUTIFULLY. Made my skin look so nice and calmed down on the cake face. Not sure I'd buy it but if you're looking for something super full coverage, this is a good one. 

Algenist Genius Anti Age Cream:  Eh. Not big on Algenist as a whole. 

Givenchy Phenom'eyes mascara: Weirdest want thing ever. Not sure if it's always like this or if it was the dumb single use mascara sample. But I LOVED this stuff!!! On the list of ones to buy. When I need mascara. Which will be like 6 years from now. 

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream: Liked this!!! I have 1.9 million samples of it, but I may end up buying it once I run out. Made me soft, didn't break me out, I am slowly joining the FAB train. 

Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask: This made me crazy soft. It is also crazy expensive, so no. 

Tokyo Milk Dark Everything and Nothing Hand Cream: Eh. Not a huge fan of this scent. 

Malin and Goetz Detox Mask: Strangest mask I've ever used. It's like Alka Seltzer on your face.....then it just disappears. Oh you strange little mask, you. It was kind fun though! 

Lancome Visionaire One Minute Blur: Like this stuff. A good primer. I'd consider buying it. 

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser: STINKKKKYYYYYY OMG so stinky. But I love Fresh face products, and would buy others of those. Just not this stinky cleanser.

My Beauty Diary Black Pearl Sheet Mask: Liked this! Feel like it made me brighter and softer. I am a fan. 

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfecter in OpalI think my hopes were too high for this. The way people talk about this I thought it would be like Jesus himself had descended and given my cheeks the heavenly glow like I'd just been made a saint or something. It's....highlighter. I don't think it's significantly better than any other liquid highlighters. I almost like the Nars ones better. Meh. 

First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser: Liked this too, again on the FAB train. May make a whole routine of it once no-buy ends.

HERE'S TO AN EVEN BETTER FEBRUARY!!!!  :drive:  

Back