The Project Pan Thread for Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, so my update:

this i s the original picture and i'm describing my progress verbally because i'm too lazy to go take another photo:

/monthly_08_2014/post-75468-0-79957500-1408296942.jpg">/monthly_08_2014/post-75468-0-79957500-1408296942_thumb.jpg

Biggest progress was on the blush which is now past that first "ring" in the pan (this picture was before hitting that ring). It seems the more I use, the dustier the blush gets, so I don't see myself having any issues finishing this by December if I stay dedicated to it...which, sometimes, is hard... but as we're going into the fall months and I am doing darker eyes/lips, the light pink blush is actually quite a godsend. I'm retiring the peach blushes until next year. If I'm lucky I might be able to get the blush to the 2nd pan ring come end of sept.

The pencil hadn't been sharpened since this image, since I didn't use it as much as I would like, but it's ready for another sharpen which usually shortens its size considerably. i'm also getting more into using it because a) I'm lazy, and B) doing eyeliner with gel or liquid takes too long in the morning. I'm going for easy.

The color tattoo only got used once. =/ My goal is to make more progress on it this Sept. and not let it sit there collecting dust.

Sin is now showing a bigger dip but still no pan! that sucker takes ages...and Naked i've been TRYING my best to use it but the problem is...I forget. :/ I haven't been wearing much eyeshadow as is lately. Time to make an effort this sept.

Things here seem to be leveling out stress-wise to where I can finally start putting some mental energy into doing things for fun again, and so I am excited to pick back up.  I also just went through all my makeup and...too much, man. too much. so that has given me incentive to get serious about this. 

From my original ten pan, my MLBB lip butter in pink truffle is totally done, so I am switching it out for berry smoothie, which is a pinky color and less strong than my original intended color of raspberry pie. I might save that one for later in the fall or early winter. usually late winter I default to baby and milky pinks for my lips, but i also have a lovely mauvey color (mac twig) that I want to get some use out of. 
Holy cow this was from back in September and I am aware I've posted a few times... but updates:

The pan in the cargo blush is now much larger...this is what it looks like now: 

XCJiGo2.jpg

I also have cut the size of that pencil by a giant chunk, and it's still smaller than the last update (bottom pic) I posted two weeks ago. put under code cause i think the pic is rather large...

http://i.imgur.com/5o4F1oT.jpg
and finally, I hit bottom today on the color tattoo. HALLELUJAH! I've been working on that for ages ugh. though it was really only November since I've been giving it consistent use.

And I depotted my palette into a z palette...already the pan in naked is larger, and it's getting me to use more shades more frequently. so that's so far in January for me...I'm also using other items but I post those at my blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok!! New project pan since I finished 5! No pics because my phone is being wonky but....

from the original list

nyx butter lipstick in cotton candy

Goal: finish it. 85% done now, shouldn't be long

too faced cream colored ponies from the a few of my favorite things palette

Goal: finish it. Over 1/2 done.

UD Smog from the ammo palette

Goal: finish it. Probably slightly less than half left but I think I can do it!

too faced taffy from the a few of my favorite things palette

Revised goal: pan it. This is sooooo boring, it comes across satin white on my lids and I won't finish it soon so we're switching the goal to pan. Dent in it but a long way to go.

UD Last Call from the ammo palette

Revised goal: pan it. I just can not make this work with a whole lot. So pan it is. I'm probably 1/2 way to pan at this point.

new stuff

Josie Maran Argan illuminator

Goal: finish it. 3/4 empty but I am insanely guilty of "saving" this because I like it. I need to use it up, it's getting old.

maybelline instant age rewind concealer in neutralizer

Goal: finish it. Probably half done, I have 4 of these in various shades, this is my least favorite and I want it done.

Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder

Goal: finish it. 70% done, but I do NOT like this and it needs to get used or tossed so I'm trying to go with used.

Jordanna lip liner in tawny

Goal: finish it. I'm not big on lip liner and I need to use the ones I do have so I'm going to make it a point to use this.

indie sample fest

Goal: finish 5. I have soooo many indie samples and I have soooo many more coming and I need an action plan. My first 5 to use up:

1. Hello waffle Bach (I also have a full size)

2. Hello waffle Mendelssohn (full size of this too)

3. Glamour doll eyes pollution (and full size of this)

4. Backstreet makeup company gingah

5. Backstreet makeup company teenage wasteland (these 2 I love. Once I finish 10 indie samples I can buy full sizes of these once no buy is over!)

Yay new stuff!!!!
Nyx butter lipstick in cotton candy: DONE!! No picture because honestly it's so gross it's embarrassing but it is done!! Wooohoooo! Down to 9 and 4/5!
And a change. My maybeline age rewind is broken. It's definitely not empty but when I twist it nothing comes out. And I can't figure out how to open it. So I tossed it. New replacement is nyx HD concealer!

Here are my products to use up! I picked these because they're getting old. You can tell because I use almost exclusively "high end" brands now, and many of these are drugstore. I don't think I've purchased makeup at the drugstore for a few years at least. 

Nars Blush in Orgasm - my first high end makeup purchase ever. It's definitely time to use this up. 

NYX Blush in Desert Rose - This is a couple years old and almost gone. 

Almay Clear Complexion Foundation - this was unopened until recently but it's so old that I think the package is from a couple iterations ago. 

Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream - Not super old, but as I prefer a flawless face I don't reach for non full coverage products unless I make myself. I'm going to try to use this and the following product up by using a layer under my foundation. Hopefully I can use less foundation and achieve the same full coverage look.

Urban Decay Tinted Moisturizer

Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Branded - I typically use lid primers from Too Faced or Urban Decay to make shadows stay on my oily lids, but I think this could be a good base layer for eyeshadows. I want to use it up before it dries up.

Maybelline Eyeshadow Duo - this has a shimmery white and a brown. I'm going to try to use up both, the shimmery white as a highly and the brown as eyeshadow.

Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush - I believe this has been discontinued. I'm not huge on cream blushes because I have super oily skin so I need to always apply powder over my foundation. I find it hard to apply cream products on top of powder, and I find the cover doesn't show through if I apply the cream blush first then powder.

Maybelline Powder - very average powder. The packaging is very bulky so I definitely want to use it up so I can toss it!
IMG_20150112_112616.JPG

So my first project pan!! Yay! I have so many things I have to go through but I thought I would start with some of the easiest to get rid of.

-Tarte emphaseyes: 90% done! Really liked this one but I have the Rimmel scandaleyes nude on standby.
- Maybelline baby lips in cherry (I think that's the name): This one I have at my computer desk and I just apply like crazy. Already owed it for about two years now and I am just tired of it.
-Revlon Nearly Naked Powder: Hit pan but I have so many other powders that I just want to use this one up.
-Nyc Smooth Skin Bronzer: Had this one for a year or so and I decided that I am just going to power through it since I am tired of having it around. Luckily this isn't too dark for my skin so I am just going to use it everyday.
Revlon colorstay liquid eye pen: So disappointed with this product, I had gotten the Kat Von D tattoo liner in trooper in a sample size and at the time that it ran out, I was out of spending money so I gotten this to replaced it and I hate how big the felt tip is compared to the tiny brush of Kat's. Since it's brand new and the only liquid liner I have, I figure I will just use it up since it's not bad enough to trash. Hopefully, it will dry out soon.

The rest are just sample mascara I got on sephora's orders before christmas and bb creams in the summer. The pink bb cream has one more use left but it has given me tons application since I had used it so rarely. I hoping the gold will go quicker if I used this one as my primary foundation.

photo.php.jpg

This wasn't exactly a project pan, but when I got my Naked 3 pallet in November 2013 I decided to use it as my only pallet for an entire year.  I ended up using it for a year and 3 months until now because there were some days I don't use eye shadow and I really wanted to get a real years worth of use out of it.  

Here's what it looks like now:

image-17-01-15-11-08.jpeg

It's easy to see which colors are my favorites.  I do like this pallet a lot, it has been great for my fair skin.  I got way more use out of this than I did the previous 2 naked pallets.

As much as I love Naked 3 I'm ready to move on to something new :)

Yesterday I started using the bareMinerals The Magic Act pallet.  So far I don't like it as much as Naked 3 but 'm sure I'll grow to love it.  I'm going to try and use it for the next month and then re-asses from there.

image-17-01-15-11-08-1.jpeg

So this is my project pan for this winter season. I started in Dec and will end it at the end of Feb. I've already tossed two products that didn't measure up. Hit pan on a powder. I started with 10 products and have been adding products to the list that I need to make the original products work. Like I had to add in the Love and Toast fragrance to lighten up the Body Shop Honeymania. And also am adding in products to replace the ones I toss or finish. I may carry over some things like the Laura Mercier quads palette to use later but for the most part, this is the last hurrah. Love it or leave it! I have too much stuff that I want to use and can't afford to waste time on the meh stuff.

1. Moxie lipstick mini Get Ready - Toss! too opaque & heavy

2. Moxie gloss mini Spark Plug

3. Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush Exposed

4. MUF HD powder mini

5. UD 24/7 Liner Zero/Whiskey - Toss! too dry

6. Zoya Blaze

7. Body Shop Honeymania EDT

8. Julep Demi

9. Laura Mercier quads palette

10. Physicians Formula Bronze Booster

*Dr. Jart BB Cream mini

*Wet N Wild lipstick Bare-Ly Legal

*Love & Toast Gin Blossom mini

*LM Lip Glacé Discrete

*100% Pure powder: 1/7HP

*LM long wear eyeliner Noir

*Lipstick Queen Medieval Red

*Tarte Glamazon Lipstick Graceful

In January I didn't wear very much makeup but I will still share my project pan progress with you guys. I have only finished one product so far, the Mua matte foundation.

Remaning itmes are:

Benefit the porefessional deluxe sample - I believe there is less than a weeks worth of product left in this.

Elf mineral eyeliner ash - This goes very slowly. I have used it almost every day when I have worn makeup but I have only finished about a quarter of what was left in the beginning of the month.

Mua brow kit - I really like this, but since I only use one shade I won't repurchase it. As you can tell, I have almost cleaned out a corner of this.

Benefit they're real mascara deluxe sample - I have grown to absolutley love this mascara (over a wp mascara as a base). It's running low, but I will continue to use it until I can't get it to look good on my lashes anymore. I am happy I have two more of these to use.

In my original post I explained how I would add on products at the end of the month so I'd always have 5-10 products in my project, and here are the add ons for this month:

Mua powder - As you can tell I have hit major pan on this one, and it will hopefully be all used up by the end of february.

Elf cream eyeshadow duo sugar cookie - This is the worst cream eyeshadow I have ever used in my entire life. By the time I'm done with the rest of my makeup my eyeshadow has already creased like crazy when I use this. I do however really love the golden shade as a cream highligt. I hit pan a couple of days ago. I won't use the pink shade, it's just too bad, so this product will go to the trash when I run out of the golden shade.

Mua intense kisses lipgloss smooch - I have used about 50% of this, and I do really enjoy it. I want to use it up while it's still dark here (I live in Sweden) because I don't like wearing shimmery lipglosses when it's sunny.

image.jpg

Personally I have been following this thread for a couple of months now. I just was on mobile at the time.

Update Feb 17, 2015

Mind me with all the Avon products, I used to be a rep and now I have a lot of products left over.

Done: Avon nail experts green tea cuticle serum. This took such a long time for a teensy bottle.

Done: Avon naturals orange blossom & verbena juicy moisture shower gel. This scent is amazing! The vanilla one I'm currently using doesn't compare :(

Done: Dove refresh+care invigorating dry shampoo. I bought this to replace my batiste one when I finished it. It's not as great, I'm definitely going back. But after the Herbal Essences naked one I bought together with this one. I'm not fond of that smell, but at least no parabens. :/

I have a lot of items I plan to finish up. These ones I have started from back then, I'll add more as I empty more out. I allow myself to use other products as well, but I am on a no-buy/low-buy since I have ipsy/lipmonthly bags coming in, and only if I run out of that product will I buy a new one (with exceptions. ;) )

See By Chloe perfume sample

Avon Concealer stick in light

Elf mineral moisturizing lip tint in blush

Avon extra lasting liquid foundation in light beige

Elizabeth Arden Lip Liner 553

Avon Magix essential face mattifier

Avon Solutions a.m. Total Radiance day lotion

Elf quad in ethereal

I may have forgotten some others.

I find it easier to focus on a few products first and then switch things up as the time goes by.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi so it's like 2am and I've decided to make an account especially for this thread! Last year I have been buying tons of makeup and now I feel like a hoarder ~ I miss the simplicity of having a normal amount of makeup and cherish new products

My project is color cosmetic heavy as I don't hoard essentials like mascaras or eyeliners or base makeup. I haven't taken a starting picture of the lip products as there's too much! However each contains quite a small amount of product anyway and I will post progress photos! I do have a makeup rotation to make sure I use my newer products but it will also let me find new ways to wear my eyeshadow so I wouldn't get bored with my project.

I just need some tips - how do you concentrate on a product to the end without feeling like you're neglecting your other products or feel repetitive?

My project:

2x cream blush

2x powder blush

1x quad

1x single

3x glosses

5x chubby sticks

2x lipsticks

4 lip butters

3x tinted lip balms

I have chosen these as these are the oldest in my collection

image.jpgimage.jpg

So this is my project pan for this winter season. I started in Dec and will end it at the end of Feb. I've already tossed two products that didn't measure up. Hit pan on a powder. I started with 10 products and have been adding products to the list that I need to make the original products work. Like I had to add in the Love and Toast fragrance to lighten up the Body Shop Honeymania. And also am adding in products to replace the ones I toss or finish. I may carry over some things like the Laura Mercier quads palette to use later but for the most part, this is the last hurrah. Love it or leave it! I have too much stuff that I want to use and can't afford to waste time on the meh stuff.

1. Moxie lipstick mini Get Ready - Toss! too opaque & heavy

2. Moxie gloss mini Spark Plug

3. Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush Exposed

4. MUF HD powder mini

5. UD 24/7 Liner Zero/Whiskey - Toss! too dry, waited too long to use

6. Zoya Blaze

7. Body Shop Honeymania EDT

8. Julep Demi

9. Laura Mercier quads palette

10. Physicians Formula Bronze Booster- Hit pan 2/5!

*Dr. Jart BB Cream mini- done

*Wet N Wild lipstick Bare-Ly Legal- done

*Love & Toast Gin Blossom mini-done

*LM Lip Glacé Discrete- move back to stash, concentrate on Moxie gloss

*100% Pure powder: 1/7HP

*LM long wear eyeliner Noir

*Lipstick Queen Medieval Red

*Tarte Glamazon Lipstick Graceful- use for DIY projects, too opaque
Updated my progress. Finished a bunch of stuff. Here's a picture of the WNW lipstick. Makeup shelf Life is too short to dig out the rest. Added in the Sephora bday gift from last year to replace this (MUF Rogue Artist Natural).image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi so it's like 2am and I've decided to make an account especially for this thread! Last year I have been buying tons of makeup and now I feel like a hoarder ~ I miss the simplicity of having a normal amount of makeup and cherish new products

My project is color cosmetic heavy as I don't hoard essentials like mascaras or eyeliners or base makeup. I haven't taken a starting picture of the lip products as there's too much! However each contains quite a small amount of product anyway and I will post progress photos! I do have a makeup rotation to make sure I use my newer products but it will also let me find new ways to wear my eyeshadow so I wouldn't get bored with my project.

I just need some tips - how do you concentrate on a product to the end without feeling like you're neglecting your other products or feel repetitive?

My project:

2x cream blush

2x powder blush

1x quad

1x single

3x glosses

5x chubby sticks

2x lipsticks

4 lip butters

3x tinted lip balms

I have chosen these as these are the oldest in my collection

image.jpg
image.jpg
For me, I get that antsy, bored with what I have, wanna try something new feeling when I know I have something waiting in the wings. That's why I'm project panning. I want to clear out my stash so that I only have one of everything. I find that when I only have one of something, I'm totally happy & satisfied using it. After all, that's my only option so I can't long for something else. But knowing that I have 10 other lippies, blushes and eyeshadow palettes makes my very dissatisfied. Ironic isn't it? Sometimes I can't stand it and I toss whatever I'm currently using if it's very near to the end. So I would encourage you to stick it out. Stop the inflow and use up what you have until you're at your ideal capsule collection.

For me, I get that antsy, bored with what I have, wanna try something new feeling when I know I have something waiting in the wings. That's why I'm project panning. I want to clear out my stash so that I only have one of everything. I find that when I only have one of something, I'm totally happy & satisfied using it. After all, that's my only option so I can't long for something else. But knowing that I have 10 other lippies, blushes and eyeshadow palettes makes my very dissatisfied. Ironic isn't it? Sometimes I can't stand it and I toss whatever I'm currently using if it's very near to the end. So I would encourage you to stick it out. Stop the inflow and use up what you have until you're at your ideal capsule collection.
Yes! That's how I feel! Then there's the MAC Cinderella collection coming... I have definitely decreased the amount of makeup I buy nowadays, nothing really excites me anymore (apart from cute le collections) - baby steps. I used to hit pan on blush and bronzer so easily when I had one of each, but I've never hit pan on eyeshadow or finished a lipstick before (none of my lipsticks are really even halfway down, apart from the lip butters) :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> one day!! I'll be at my capsule collection like you say! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It has been a bit since anyone has posted in this forum and I am curious to see your progress!

Yay updates! Especially when I'm about to give up and let my collection be...

So the blue lines are the products I chucked out after I tried using and it just didn't work for me, too old or I hated it. No point in trying to make myself use up something I hated right? The pink lines are the products I have actually finished yay! Not much but it's something hahah

What I have noticed is that I now barely buy any makeup cos now I know how long it takes to finish, and if I buy anymore products all my project panning efforts would go to waste! So I learnt a good lesson :)

Even though I cleared a bit of stuff out, I added more in!

Art Deco cream blush - looks like a weeks worth left?

Update on the No.7 blush - what you see on the shimmery side is actually the pan now! It's raised plastic so this must mean that the blush side is getting close!!!! Maybe 3-4 weeks use left I've been trying to use it everyday

My eyebrow and eyeliner pencil I've been trying to sharpen more often than I used to, as soon as I need it, so I can see progress!

The powder is hella old although it works fine but that's why I'm trying to finish it, it used to have a peach imprint on it and it's gone now so progress!

The Elizabeth Arden bronzer is a sample but has 3g of product... No dent so far, been using it everyday for 2 months now

Lastly the Mac tendertone is from the cook Mac collection so it's turning 4 this year but still smells good but I'm trying to finish it now, noticeable dent gives me courage although 6ml is quite a lot :/

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My first post on this project pan attached:
Personally I have been following this thread for a couple of months now. I just was on mobile at the time.

Update Feb 17, 2015
Mind me with all the Avon products, I used to be a rep and now I have a lot of products left over.

Done: Avon nail experts green tea cuticle serum. This took such a long time for a teensy bottle.
Done: Avon naturals orange blossom & verbena juicy moisture shower gel. This scent is amazing! The vanilla one I'm currently using doesn't compare  :(
Done: Dove refresh+care invigorating dry shampoo. I bought this to replace my batiste one when I finished it. It's not as great, I'm definitely going back. But after the Herbal Essences naked one I bought together with this one. I'm not fond of that smell, but at least no parabens. :/

I have a lot of items I plan to finish up. These ones I have started from back then, I'll add more as I empty more out. I allow myself to use other products as well, but I am on a no-buy/low-buy since I have ipsy/lipmonthly bags coming in, and only if I run out of that product will I buy a new one (with exceptions.  ;) )

See By Chloe perfume sample
Avon Concealer stick in light
Elf mineral moisturizing lip tint in blush
Avon extra lasting liquid foundation in light beige
Elizabeth Arden Lip Liner 553
Avon Magix essential face mattifier
Avon Solutions a.m. Total Radiance day lotion
Elf quad in ethereal
I may have forgotten some others.

I find it easier to focus on a few products first and then switch things up as the time goes by.
 image.jpg
 image.jpg
 image.jpg

I don't use makeup on a regular basis. It is even less common that I have been busy at school and ill for over a month. These are the items I have been using when I wear makeup. 

IMG_0163.JPG

I have repressed the shadows that I have seen pan on, so it would be easier to pick up product. 

IMG_0164.JPG

I have not been using the elf mineral moisturizing lip tint in blush much since the light pink doesn't suit my skin tone. 

I have had very chapped lips due to illness lately and I have brought out that mini fresh sugar lip balm I got for my sephora birthday present like 3 years ago. It is just a mini and I have been using it from the start of March. I could see the progress of this throughout the time I've been using it. It is so much better than the other lip balms I've been using, but I could not see myself buying one because of the price. 

I have been using the Avon concealer stick in light as a contouring foundation since it has been on the lighter side and my foundation/BB cream as the darker color. I have dug deep inside the container with a toothpick and it has about one use left. 

IMG_0165.JPG

I have tried to use the Avon solutions a.m. total radiance day lotion each day in the morning that I leave the house. I have been ill for a month, so that is much less progress than expected. I have been using my foundation very seldomly since I opt for BB cream or concealer as foundation.

My hand cream is down to its last leg, I would predict that it will be gone in the next update.

I have been using the Natural Mascara from I don't remember which brand since it rubbed off. I can't tell how much is left. 

Since I have finished the Avon magix essential face mattifier, I have swapped in the Avon magix face perfector. There is a ton of product left. 

I haven't been using my Avon glimmerstick in blackest black as much since I prefer using the L'oreal Carbon Black liquid eyeliner more. 

I have not been using the elf gloss in baby lips much since I have been testing out colors from my IPSY/Lipmonthly bags. I am liking the NYX butter lipstick in Pops.

Back