The Project Pan Thread for Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reorganized my makeup collection today, to suit my upcoming project pan better. All of the items I want to use up in 2015 now live on a shelf in my bathroom, and the rest are stored away in a large drawer in my bedisade table so I won't reach for them instegs (my bf is almost always sleeping white I do my makeup). I have also figured out how I will do my projekt pan and still be able to switch out some products :) I will start January 1st with five project pan products I have picked out, and I will use them until they are gone. In the begonning of every month I will add in a couple of products so I always start out with anywhere between 5 and 10 project pan items. The products I add in will be those i don't have more than maybe two months of use left of, because I need to see progress to be able to stay strong. In addition to this I will rotate the rest of the products on my "to use up list", as kind of a biweekly makeup bag, but with only five products :)

The first five products in my project pan are:

Benefit porefessional (deluxe sample) - I'm not really a primer person so I want to use up all the primers that I own and I probably won't buy any more. I'm really impressed with how long this little tube has lasted though, I have used it almost every day for 1-2 months and I still have almost half of it left.

Mua matte foundation (depoted into a lush sample jar) - This is not matte at all but I get it to work by mixing it with my maybelline fit me, I have probably no more than two weeks of usage left.

Elf mineral eyeliner ash - I like everything about this eyeliner apart from the color (gray). I usually apply a black or dark brown eyeshadow on top of this to make it less gray. I have about 1,5 cm or 1/2 inch left of this.

Benefit they're real mascara (deluxe sample) - Waterproof mascara is the only thing that holds the curl on my very straight lashes, and this is not wp. When I use it on top of a wp mascara it works very well and I really like how it looks. I have been using this every day for two months and I can feel the tube is geting empty.

Mua brow kit - This comes with two eyebrow shades, a highlighter darker than my skin and a wax. I only use the lighter of the two brow colors, and I only have the rims left, You need a very tiny amount of this though so i think it will last me a while.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit pan in my MAC Rosy Outlook blush.  Since its my favourite blush I am going mental because I really want another one.  I have too much of blush I think its best for me to focus on using my stash instead of getting replacements.  There is a creme blush in my stash that looks similar so it may be a good idea for me to focus on that next?

Also I hit bottom of my Lancome Aquatique eye shadow base.  Though I have a backup which I plan to open after the first Aquatique is gone.  I will wait until I hit pan or even longer on my second/backup Aquatique before I consider buying another Aquatique eye shadow base.

Mica gel eyeliner: I don't wear cat eye or black liner that often, but this is starting to dry up, so I've been using it at the base of my lashes to make them look fuller. I hate that it dries super hard on the brush really quickly and that means I have to wash my brush every time I use it. I'm too lazy for that!
I'm not sure if this message is too late - one thing you may want to try is using your blow dryer to warm up the gel eyeliner that's drying out - it could make your gel eyeliner softer and easier to use.  

Okay, here we go, a Project 10 Pan to kick of 2015!

Clockwise from top center: 

Everything start.jpg

1. Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Pressed Finishing Powder: This already has a decent amount of pan showing, but the chunks at the side are fairly big. Not my favorite powder ever, but I need to get through it!
  2. Tarte Lipsurgence in Enamored (deluxe size): I got this in a set last Christmas, and I've just been ignoring it in my collection. A bit bolder than what I normally wear on my lips, so this might be tough for me!
  3. Tarte Lipsurgence in Grateful (deluxe size): Another one from that set (trying to work that set out of my collection obviously!). Fairly easy nude to wear, so hopefully it isn't too hard.
  4. NYX Butter Gloss in Vanilla Cream Pie: I love these, but have way too many. This one will be annoying to track my progress on since most of the tube is opaque.
  5. Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Petal: I used to really like these (and thus hoarded them) and have way too many. I'll try to move this one out of my collection. 
  6. Makeup Forever Eyeliner in Black (deluxe): Oops this one went on the roll as I took the picture. I have soo many eyeliners but don't wear them on a daily basis. I'm going to try to start tight-lining every day so I can start to use them up.
  7. Bite Beauty Lipstick Duo in Lychee/Musk: Lychee is almost completely gone, but I need to work on Musk. I find this pulls a little brown on me, but hopefully I can wear it with a lipstick over it. 
  8. The Balm Time Balm Concealer in Lighter than Light: Meh, I just don't like this product that much. Too dry, and the lid is broken. But I bought it and would like to get my money's worth. I might be okay with calling this one "done" once I hit pan and not make myself finish the whole thing.
  9. Lorac Mint Edition Palette: I have no intentions of doing a full pan-that-palette and trying to finish it. I like this palette but have ignored it to use others. I figure focusing on it for a few months will help me make progress at least. Also, I'm not going to use the blush in here too much (just not my favorite), but I will try to use the highlighter!
  10. Revlon Colorstay Foundation in Ivory: This is just slightly too light for me, but not so wrong that I feel like I should throw my money down the drain! And this is the time of year that I'm palest. So I'm going to try to use this a few times a week for the duration of the project to see where I get
So as I said, I know realistically I won't finish some of these items any time soon. But I want to focus on these items until the end of March - 3 months (pretty much the duration of the 100 days no buy). I'm going to let myself rotate in other items in every-other-week Monday club, and if I find I really hate a product (ahem, the concealer), I don't need to use it every day. Just give it my best effort. 

Palette close up for progress reference!

Palette start.jpg

Here we go!

So, it's time for me to reset my project pan for the new month.  Some of the items I had listed last month are now finished or pan has increasingly gotten bigger to where the eye shadows are just looking like a ring.  The ones that are almost finished or have major pan will be brought again.

Also, I have made a list of 15 items to continuously use for this month and if I don't hit pan on some of the items, that's okay because at least I have used it and maybe I will bring it again to my next February project pan. 

January Project Pan

1.  MAC Haux e/s - Still have pan showing and I will work on making the pan even more visible this month

2.  MAC Fun Fun lipstick - Almost done!

3.  MAC White Frost e/s - Still has a big dip in center so I need to work on this.

4.  Cherry Chapstick - ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Gotta keep using this before my other favorite lip balms!

5.  Benefit Watts Up - Still quite a long way to go on this one but I need to use this up as much as possible.

6.  MAC Honour blush - Since it's more of a highlight yet kind of subtle compared to my other highlighters, I'll use this on top of Benefit Watts Up.

7.  MAC Satin Taupe - So almost done with this one! I just want this to go away already. Lol

8.  MAC Night Manoeuvres e/s - No dent even with daily use.  Have to keep trying.

9.  MAC Personal Style blush - I really like this and I don't know why I haven't been using it. Time to get back to giving it some attention.

10.  Tazorac - Almost expiriing but I'm also almost done with it as well.

11.  HABA Vitamin C serum - Almost done with this one and could be finished after a few more days!

12.  Sephora Hello Kitty Apple Balm - Haven't really used it other than to swatch. I should carry this with me.

13.  Vaseline Rosy Lips - I've only used it twice...maybe I should carry this with me, too. :lol:

14.  MAC Nanogold e/s - There's a dip but I know this will last me a really long time. It's not even my favorite e/s to use at all but I'll keep trying to use this daily just to use it up.

15.  Mini nail polish - Not sure as to which color yet but since I paint my nails twice a week, I'm hoping I won't get bored of the color since I'd have it on a few days each week or every other week for this month. I put this on my pp list just so I can be mildly close to somewhat using it up.

I'm doing the 100 Day No-Buy, and though I'd pick a few products to finish up while I'm at it. They've been kicking around my collection for a while, and I just want them done.

Here are 14 items.

Opened to see where they are.

I stood these up to see how full they are.

Full list:
1. Rimmel Stay Matte Powder --  about 40% left. I don't really care for this because it does not keep me matte at all, and you can't carry it around for touch-ups because of the flimsy packaging. I've only used it with a brush, but am hoping if I try a sponge it will be more mattifying. I'll play around with it some more, but will not repurchase once it's done.
2. Skindinavia Makeup Finishing Spray: about 50% left -- This also seems to do nothing for me, and I hardly ever use it, hence the super old packaging. I do not notice any extra longevity when spraying with this. I want to try the new L'Oreal finishing spray because I hear it works really well, and will buy that once I'm done with this.
3. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment deluxe size: about 50% left (plus I plan to dig till the end). It was last year's Sephora Birthday gift, and I know these Fresh Products go bad relatively quickly. This is pretty good, and I'm enjoying it ok, though I find Fresh lip products to feel so heavy on the lips. 
4. Almay Get Up and Grow Mascara: seems nearing the end -- I bought this because of emilynoel on youtube. It's her favorite drugstore mascara. I see why she likes it, but it's not my fave. It's a dry formula and takes a lot of coats to get anywhere.
5. Urban Decay Perversion Mascara Deluxe Sample: just recently opened, going strong -- I am enjoying this one.
6. Lorac Lip Liner, Color is called 09. Its a brownie nude, with some red in it. About 80% left -- This color works really well for me and looks flattering, and I just want to use it up, because I find myself not using lip liners much.
7. NYX Lip Liner. I think its in Natural, but has rubbed off. About 20% left -- I have quite enjoyed this, especially with a gloss over it, and am so close to the end, I just want to see it done. It's good for more definition when I wear nudes. I will likely repurchase though, after my no buy.
8. Urban Decay Lip Junkie Lip Gloss, Midnight Cowboy: half done -- This is the lipgloss I will top the NYX liner with. It was the bonus that came with the Naked Palette, and it's about time with it. It's very pretty though.
9. Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner: starting to show first signs of drying -- This is so black and the tip is so easy to control. It seems like a great, great liner and it is, but it is not waterproof in the slightest. If my eyes tear, or it's raining, or anything wet gets on my eyes, it bleeds out all over the place, so I only wear this on "dry" days. I came into another backup from The L'Oreal Testing group.
10. Charlotte Tillbury Rock and Kohl Eyeliner, Barbarella Brown, about 40% left -- This is very nice, but is so creamy that I have to sharpen it often, and thus it goes fast, making it not worth the price to me. It is quite dark for a brown -- nearly black.
11. Chanel Stylo Eyeliner in Beryl: 20% left -- A shimmery pale lavender, and is good for the waterline, adding light and reflection to the eyes. It's so close!
12. Elf Eyebrow Kit. I only use the waxy side. 15% left -- This has gotten very regular use for well over a year, and I bought a back up because I thought I was nearly done. This was months ago. But I do like this product.
13. Nails Inc Mini Polish in Jermyn Street: about 80% left -- I consider this my most ambitious item, even though its a mini because I have so many polishes and switch up all the time. I figure, if I use it every other mani, I stand a chance. I mean, what's in there, 10 manis worth?
14. FlowerbyKenzo Rollerball Spray: 65% left -- When I had the vial sample, I really enjoyed it so bought the roller ball size, but now I'm over it. I want to see it gone.

What do you guys do when you realise that you absolutely hate a product? 
I have two specific products on my project pan list that I find myself dreading to use. I guess being forced to use them made me realise that I don't want to use them. And I don't want to force myself to use/pan items that don't make me happy to use. 

The items are the Sleek Ultra Mattes V1 palette and theBalm bahama mama bronzer. 

There's still a lot in both, so I was thinking about giving them away to friends or something after sterilizing them, but I also feel like that's some how cheating. But I also don't want to be miserable using my products. 

I have two specific products on my project pan list that I find myself dreading to use. I guess being forced to use them made me realise that I don't want to use them. And I don't want to force myself to use/pan items that don't make me happy to use. 

The items are the Sleek Ultra Mattes V1 palette and theBalm bahama mama bronzer. 

There's still a lot in both, so I was thinking about giving them away to friends or something after sterilizing them, but I also feel like that's some how cheating. But I also don't want to be miserable using my products. 
Honestly, if I absolutely hate it and it doesn't work for me I usually toss it. I don't feel right giving things to people if I can't 100% sure say it is "sterile", so that rules out a ton of products. Also, there's no point in using something you can't stand. I think most of us wear makeup because it makes us happy, so if you're doing something that's the opposite of that, it kind of defeats the purpose to use something just because you feel like you wasted money, or want to completely use it. 

One that is killing me right now is a Missha cleansing cream. I hate it, but since I dip my hand into it I can't give it to anyone. I think I'll just end up tossing it anyway because I have at least twenty cleansers sitting in my stash that I need to use up. 

I always toss things I hate. Life's too short! And if you're like me you probably have many more things that you love. Why use something you hate while the things you love sit there and get old?

I always toss things I hate. Life's too short! And if you're like me you probably have many more things that you love. Why use something you hate while the things you love sit there and get old?

Honestly, if I absolutely hate it and it doesn't work for me I usually toss it. I don't feel right giving things to people if I can't 100% sure say it is "sterile", so that rules out a ton of products. Also, there's no point in using something you can't stand. I think most of us wear makeup because it makes us happy, so if you're doing something that's the opposite of that, it kind of defeats the purpose to use something just because you feel like you wasted money, or want to completely use it. 

One that is killing me right now is a Missha cleansing cream. I hate it, but since I dip my hand into it I can't give it to anyone. I think I'll just end up tossing it anyway because I have at least twenty cleansers sitting in my stash that I need to use up. 
Thank you guys.  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I just feel guilty like I'm cheating or not following the rules of a project pan if I stop using the product during. But yeah, I'd rather work on panning things I enjoy panning. 

Thank you guys. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just feel guilty like I'm cheating or not following the rules of a project pan if I stop using the product during. But yeah, I'd rather work on panning things I enjoy panning.
Don't feel guilty! If you force yourself to use something you don't like over something you do, that's just wasting more of your time and money. If anything you should feel good about being smart enough to recognize when something is a sunk cost and it's time to move on. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@JuliaGhostx3 If it is easily sterilized I sanitize, marked it as used, and pass it along. Pencils, powders, squeeze tubes without applicators, and lipstick bullets are very easy to sanitize. The person receiving them can also re-sanitize for their own peace of mind.

Sampled, and used mascaras of course should be tossed, never pass them along, and don't accept one either.

I am currently "panning" a full size Buxom Sculpted Lash mascara that I opened today.

I don't force myself to use things I hate until it is gone, using things you hate makes it feel like a punishment IMHO

If I were going to set a project pan goal it would involve using the products I like the most so the process is enjoyable.

I'm so glad I found this post! I will need support as I complete this task. These are my 10 Pan Plus Rules and items:

Lissan’s Project 10 Plus Plan

Rules:

1. On a no buy until all items are completed (includes color products).

2. Once finished with all 10 plus items can buy one makeup item.

3. Once finished with all 10 plus items set up another project 10 pan until down to one item for basic face products (foundation, face primer, mascara, eyeliner, brow pencil, powder, eye primer, face setting powder, eye setting powder, concealer)

1. Maybelline Mineral Powder Concealer

2. bareMinerals Correcting Concealer

3. Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder

4. Wet N Wild Brulee eyeshadow (used as under eye setting powder)

5. Revitalift Miracle Blur Primer

6. Lancome LaBase Primer

7. The Balm Put a Lid On It Eye Primer

8. Lorac Behind the Scenes Eye Primer

9. Nars Sheer Glow Foundation

10. Loreal Magic Lumi Foundation

11. Elf Tone Correcting Powder (used as under eye setting powder)

12. Stila All Day Waterproof Eyeliner

13. Physicians Formula Eye Booster Eyeliner

14. Rimmel Professional Brow Pencil

15. Sample Nars Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil

16. Sample Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick

17. Mini Bite Do Lipstick

18. Mini Tarte Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Ok!! New project pan since I finished 5! No pics because my phone is being wonky but....

from the original list

nyx butter lipstick in cotton candy

Goal: finish it. 85% done now, shouldn't be long

too faced cream colored ponies from the a few of my favorite things palette

Goal: finish it. Over 1/2 done.

UD Smog from the ammo palette

Goal: finish it. Probably slightly less than half left but I think I can do it!

too faced taffy from the a few of my favorite things palette

Revised goal: pan it. This is sooooo boring, it comes across satin white on my lids and I won't finish it soon so we're switching the goal to pan. Dent in it but a long way to go.

UD Last Call from the ammo palette

Revised goal: pan it. I just can not make this work with a whole lot. So pan it is. I'm probably 1/2 way to pan at this point.

new stuff

Josie Maran Argan illuminator

Goal: finish it. 3/4 empty but I am insanely guilty of "saving" this because I like it. I need to use it up, it's getting old.

maybelline instant age rewind concealer in neutralizer

Goal: finish it. Probably half done, I have 4 of these in various shades, this is my least favorite and I want it done.

Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder

Goal: finish it. 70% done, but I do NOT like this and it needs to get used or tossed so I'm trying to go with used.

Jordanna lip liner in tawny

Goal: finish it. I'm not big on lip liner and I need to use the ones I do have so I'm going to make it a point to use this.

indie sample fest

Goal: finish 5. I have soooo many indie samples and I have soooo many more coming and I need an action plan. My first 5 to use up:

1. Hello waffle Bach (I also have a full size)

2. Hello waffle Mendelssohn (full size of this too)

3. Glamour doll eyes pollution (and full size of this)

4. Backstreet makeup company gingah

5. Backstreet makeup company teenage wasteland (these 2 I love. Once I finish 10 indie samples I can buy full sizes of these once no buy is over!)

Yay new stuff!!!!
Indie sample fest 1/5 of the way done! Backstreet makeup "gingah" had bit the dust!! So excited but sad to see it go, this was a beautiful crease color on my pale self. One sample done, we won't discuss how many left to go....but progress. NYX lipstick has 2 days left, max, so moving along!! image.jpg

tumblr_nhqhhl6mHX1r0aqmoo1_400.jpg

Here are my Project Pan items for the first half of the 100 day no buy!

-H20 lip mender (night treatment, may cut open and depot to see how much is left)

-tarte cheek stain in flush (deluxe sample size, sephora point perk)
-MAC lip liner in Cranberry
-Rimmel Vinyl gloss in Pin Up
-Ardell Brow powder in Medium (the middle shade)
-The Body Shop All in One blusher in bubblegum
-ELF jumbo lip gloss stick in movie star

Don't feel bad! I've done it too. And don't worry, I too have that palette, love it, use it at least twice and week and still haven't hit pan on anything. On the off chance you can't find any friends to give stuff to, you could swap with me! I can sterilize stuff myself, and then we could both have 'new' things that we like.

Don't feel bad! I've done it too. And don't worry, I too have that palette, love it, use it at least twice and week and still haven't hit pan on anything. On the off chance you can't find any friends to give stuff to, you could swap with me! I can sterilize stuff myself, and then we could both have 'new' things that we like.
I'm down for trading. Maybe I should start up one of those trade/swap threads for myself that everyone has, and then I can go through my collection and find new homes for unloved items.  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm down for trading. Maybe I should start up one of those trade/swap threads for myself that everyone has, and then I can go through my collection and find new homes for unloved items.  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I'm gonna be putting my swap list up this weekend :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@ JuliaGhostx3 If you hate something get rid of it. Think of it this way...makeup is supposed to accentuate our beauty and make us feel good about our appearance. If a product doesn't do that or actually makes us look worse, why use it just to use it up. We use foundation to improve the look of our skin. If a foundation is too drying and makes your face look dry and flakey why bother right?

Makeup should make you feel good & look good. If it doesn't it's gotta go.

Back