Tight lining

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been tightlining on and off for yrs with different color liners, mostly black, blues and greens. I think it really enhances light-colored eyes but can make dark eyes pop too. It does make the eyes appear smaller. It's best to line the bottom water-line with the same liner because it will rub onto it. I never pull the skin back either, it just takes practice.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif When I do this with brown or black, it makes my eyes look so much smaller.
frown.gif

So I use white and it seems to help.

Agreed. When I really tight-line, like right on the water line, it makes my eyes look smaller. If I draw the line right under my lower lashes or right above my upper lashes I think that makes my eyes look bigger. Because of the high contrast of the dark liner with the uncolored waterline, the waterline blends in with the white of my eyeball, creating the overall effect of a bigger eyeball, lol.

Also, when I line my water-line, b.c. it IS the waterline, any tearing, or touching of the eye causes the liner to get into my eye and then form those blackish eye boogers in the corners. Eww!

Thanks for sharing. But this takes a very steady hand and good vision....which I have neither of, so I don't think I'll be trying it.

I found this nice youtube video:

It shows you how to do it w/ your eyes closed. I haven't tried tightlining yet though; tell me how this goes I guess?

youtube com/ watch?v=EzTMfJX6a2Y

Sorry, I dont have 10 posts or greater; take out spaces.

It really makes a difference, but i found it doesn't usually last throughout the whole day for me.

I don't tightline my upper lashes, but I do line my waterline, and do a trick that mimics tightlining.

As soon as you line your water line (before it has a chance to set), close your eyes semi-tight, and then gently kind of press on your cheek upward towards your eye. (pushing your lower lid onto your upper lid a bit) It smudges your waterline onto your upper lashline, pretty much giving a tightlined effect. no tugging on the eyelid, either.

I tight line every day. I actually do this method versus lining above my lashline. For some reason i feel like my water lines are broader than some peoples ( have more surface area), so If i dont line them then they stand out too much.

It also makes my lashes more dense looking and leaves more space on my upper lid for color. I feel very washed out if i dont tightline

I tight line all the time, but I've never had to pull up my lid or anything. I just use a kohl liner, close my eye and rub the liner between my two waterlines. It gets the job done. I've been doing it for so long it doesn't really make a mess. I only really pull a little if I'm lining with a gel liner, but then, I use the trick of getting a cheap 99 cent liner and dipping it into the gel liner and lining that way. It works pretty well. 

@Angels41105 I have the same issue with my waterlines, so they always have color. :] 

Originally Posted by tabiicat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tight line all the time, but I've never had to pull up my lid or anything. I just use a kohl liner, close my eye and rub the liner between my two waterlines. It gets the job done. I've been doing it for so long it doesn't really make a mess. I only really pull a little if I'm lining with a gel liner, but then, I use the trick of getting a cheap 99 cent liner and dipping it into the gel liner and lining that way. It works pretty well. 

@Angels41105 I have the same issue with my waterlines, so they always have color. :] 

i use gel liner on a itty bitty brush, i'm poretty steady and careful. It goes fast and never makes a mess. Yeah I dont pull on my eye lid either.... that disturbs my eye more

Great topic!I tightline my bottom waterline but generally never do it on the top line, as I don't notice much difference. I have tried using MAC's smolder pencil as well as Almay's liner liner and it seems to hold (Almay being the best). However, I'm not sure whether or not this is "good" for your eyes. Just speaking for myself, it gives me the heebie-jeebies to do it on my upper lash line! Hate that feeling! I do tightline my lower lash line frequently.

I have noticed on up- close shots/pictures that lining the waterlines can be very effective and beautiful; however, for wedding or daytime looks it can be a bit harsh, in particular when black is used.  Also for pictures that are taken further back, tightlining  can seem to close up the eyes. Just my opinion :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I tightline Day or night, everyday. I have really dark lashes though so it just works very well. I've also been doing it for years and not has any eye issues. I even did this shortly after my Lasik surgery healed up and still no issues.

I always line my eyes in a similar way.  I find that if I slightly close my eye and use a nice pencil that I do not have to tug up on my skin which makes my eyes water too much.  

Originally Posted by lovelyarsenic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only concern would be whether or not this is healthy for the eye?

Thanks for the great post btw
smile.gif
Honestly its an easy way to irritate the eye if you have sensitive eyes, which I do. so I don't do this that often. I like it because it looks more natural than the normal way.

If you have sensitive eyes like me I'd stick to using matte shadows that are highly pigmented. If theres sparkle or shimmer then it can irritate quicker (usually the sparkly color is some sort of metal) and if its highly pigmented you don't have to use as much. or else maybe gel liner (which I haven't personally tried but i think it may even be better.)

I love tight lining! Just be careful on product because it can bleed to the bottom water line and cause the racoon eye. But if set it with a powder it should stick.

also a note on the health issue. I have never had any SERIOUS problems with this  ( again i've been doing it for years). However, if you are prone to sinus colds like in the winter and such and you ever blow your nose and see black dots or streaks.... dont be surprised that it's your eyeliner. You tear ducts and you sinuses are connected ( hence why you often have a running nose when you cry). Our ducts serve as like an over flow drain ( like in a sink) so eyeliner and eye makeup that is placed in the inner corner can be found in your sinuses.

Again, it's never been a real problem but something i do notice during my seasonal winter sinus colds.

Back