Urban Decay Cosmetics are expanding to China and are no long cruelty free =/

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I posted this here as well. This is the actual press release from Urban Decay yesterday. The section in bold and underlined is something I have take offense to.

URBAN DECAY & CHINA Urban Decay is going to sell our products in China. Because of China’s policies on animal testing, we know that this will not be a popular decision with some of our loyal customers. But the decision is a thoughtful one.

For 16 years, we have been committed to two key causes: women’s rights, and the fight against animal testing. Our dedication to those causes will not waver.

For those of you unfamiliar with China’s policies, the sticking point is this: the Chinese government reserves the right to conduct animal testing with cosmetic products before the products are approved for use by Chinese citizens. The government has not told us if they have exercised this right with our products. So, our brand does not test on animals, but the Chinese government might conduct a one-time test using our products. Do we like China’s policies? No…and that is really the point. Going into China was a huge decision for Urban Decay. But, we believe that change cannot and will not happen by outside pressure alone in a closed market. Change can only happen from within. When we enter the Chinese market, we will do our part to help make those changes.

When we were considering expanding into China, a group of marketing consultants told us to remove the section of our company history that describes our crusade against animal testing. “It doesn’t mean anything to the Chinese beauty customer,†they said. Of course, we refused. Our “no animal testing†policy is part of who we are, and has been since day one. The news that animal issues don’t even register with the average Chinese consumer was one of the biggest factors in our decision to go there. During Urban Decay’s infancy, we worked hard to inform consumers about animal rights in the United States and Europe. The battleground for animal rights is now in China, and we want to be there to encourage dialogue and provoke change.

We also hope to shed some light on women’s rights issues in China. As a company that caters to a female customer, this is extremely important to us. For one thing, going into China is a way for us to advance women into important professional positions. We will help grow the cosmetics industry, which primarily employs and creates career paths for women. Although workers’ employment rights are a relatively new concept there, progress has been made partially because of pressure from businesses, consumers, and advocacy groups from other countries. Based on this, our belief is that both an outside force and inside pressure for change can result in helping transform both the importance of women and animal testing policies in China. And more importantly, we hope to influence the perspective of the citizens on both of these issues.

If we don’t go to China, other companies without our beliefs will, and the culture will never change. We want to encourage a culture of consumers who care enough to buy cruelty-free products, and who view professional women as role models who influence their lives on a daily basis.

Yes, we are a for-profit company. And yes, we would eventually like to make money in China. But we don’t stand to turn a profit in China for quite a while, partially because the market isn’t quite ready to sustain an untraditional brand like ours. If it were only about the money, we would wait a few years. But our foray into this market is also about participating in an amazing time of change in China. We don’t like animal testing (and neither do the 13 dogs in our office), but we are trying to change the world… even if it is one eye shadow at a time! Sitting on the sidelines isn’t our style. We understand that you might not like our decision, but we hope you can respect it.

Any editors or advocacy groups interested in interviews with Urban Decay founding partner Wende Zomnir may contact us at [email protected].

For any advocates or Urban Decay fans interested, Urban Decay founding partner Wende Zomnir will host a live chat in 2 weeks to answer questions about our entry into China. Please click here if you would like to sign up to be notified.
What utter nonsense. I've been reading up on this and came across this from Cosmetics Design over a class action lawsuit against Avon, Mary Kay and Estee Lauder for having also been against animal testing before they began selling in China.

On the matter, Mary Kay representatives told CosmeticsDesign.com USA, “It’s our policy not to comment on pending litigation, [however] We do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to do so on our behalf, except when absolutely required by law.â€

“There is only one country where we operate where we are required to submit our products for testing – China. We are working closely with the Chinese government to demonstrate that alternative testing methods ensure safe and effective products,†they added.
That was earlier this year - in March 2012 - and so I think it's absurd for these companies to think that they can go into China and change China's government policies. For decades citizens have been fighting for change which has resulted in the arrested and/or deaths of countless Chinese citizens at the hands of their own governments. For decades human rights groups have been fighting to stop the practice of killing female fetuses in favor of boys yet that hasn't stopped. Human trafficking and even sweat shops continue to happen in China despite outside groups trying to stop it. Urban Decay and Mary Kay think they can change the Chinese government? Absolute nonsense! The ONLY way to force China to change is buy NOT SELLING IN CHINA! Don't do ANY business in China including obtaining raw ingredients or manufacture products in China. No money = HURTING CHINA!

I'm through with them. My husband's family has a history of oppression from the mainland Chinese government, and we have no use for this sort of pandering.

And if anyone can suggest a good dupe for Midnight Cowboy lip gloss, I'm all ears!

That All-Mighty Dollar!

I'm glad I didn't get into Urban Decay. I got one palette and a single eyeshadow and was disgusted by the excess shimmer and lack of pigment.

I'm really sad. My two fave cosmetics was from MAC and from UD. I was making the transition to UD primarily because of their policies and now I am stuck. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't know.  I mean...I don't see how we can blame Urban Decay for China's national policies.  It states that UD as a company will still not be doing animal testing.  It's another government (which hell, they could purchase from the US, import, and test anyway without UD trying to enter China) that "may" (okay, more likely this should be "will") conduct the test.

If Urban Decay makes their products ready to market without animal cruelty, and somebody purchases it then does additional testing, it'd be that second company's fault, not UD's.

It doesn't make sense to me to say "anybody who sells products in China endorses animal cruelty"

It doesn't make sense to me to say Chinese women don't deserve to have makeup because their government makes laws that we don't agree with.

It doesn't make sense to me to say that a 3rd party's actions after the fact should mean the original party should also be punished for it.

I don't know.  It just doesn't make sense to me to be mad at *them* for this.

I can't speak for anyone but myself. As I mentioned before my own stance is that I'm not totally against animal testing. What ticked me off about Urban Decay was the BS about how they're going to sell in China to change the Chinese government's stance on animal testing. I'm like, "no you're not... you're going to sell to make money. If you want to take a stance on their animal testing then don't sell in China." Bottom line for me is it's about money - and I understand, they're a company out to make a profit - but don't lie about it to people. I HATE liars.

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know.  I mean...I don't see how we can blame Urban Decay for China's national policies.  It states that UD as a company will still not be doing animal testing.  It's another government (which hell, they could purchase from the US, import, and test anyway without UD trying to enter China) that "may" (okay, more likely this should be "will") conduct the test.

If Urban Decay makes their products ready to market without animal cruelty, and somebody purchases it then does additional testing, it'd be that second company's fault, not UD's.

It doesn't make sense to me to say "anybody who sells products in China endorses animal cruelty"

It doesn't make sense to me to say Chinese women don't deserve to have makeup because their government makes laws that we don't agree with.

It doesn't make sense to me to say that a 3rd party's actions after the fact should mean the original party should also be punished for it.

I don't know.  It just doesn't make sense to me to be mad at *them* for this.
I can get mad at UD because they know the policies in China. They know the product they sell would be required to be subject to testing. If they had gone into it not realizing, that would be a completely different animal. But they actively made this decision and they did it knowing it would piss people off.

They can tell me all day long its for change and I will call shenannigans. It's about the money. Chinese women are not going without make up, have you seen some of the products available? They have access to quite a variety of different cosmetic products. Their world view isn't going to change just because UB came riding in on their white stallion of justice.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't speak for anyone but myself. As I mentioned before my own stance is that I'm not totally against animal testing. What ticked me off about Urban Decay was the BS about how they're going to sell in China to change the Chinese government's stance on animal testing. I'm like, "no you're not... you're going to sell to make money. If you want to take a stance on their animal testing then don't sell in China." Bottom line for me is it's about money - and I understand, they're a company out to make a profit - but don't lie about it to people. I HATE liars.

I found the press release very arrogant. You have a country of several billion people, whose culture is closed and whose government has a shameful record of ethics violations against human beings and animals alike, and this one little company thinks it's going to be China's savior? What balls!

I can get mad at UD because they know the policies in China. They know the product they sell would be required to be subject to testing. If they had gone into it not realizing, that would be a completely different animal. But they actively made this decision and they did it knowing it would piss people off. They can tell me all day long its for change and I will call shenannigans. It's about the money. Chinese women are not going without make up, have you seen some of the products available? They have access to quite a variety of different cosmetic products. Their world view isn't going to change just because UB came riding in on their white stallion of justice.
I soon very agree with this. How can anyone think 'its not UD, it's China's policy' No one is forcing UD to engage in business with China. China's economy will not fall if UD backed out of the Chinese cosmetics market. This is a voluntary venture for PROFIT. Their explanation sounds this way because they know they are being hypocritical. The Chinese have access to Japanese and Korean cosmetics which all cater to the Asian market. UD just wants in.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found the press release very arrogant. You have a country of several billion people, whose culture is closed and whose government has a shameful record of ethics violations against human beings and animals alike, and this one little company thinks it's going to be China's savior? What balls!
I was coming here to say just this! I roll my eyes at every statement UD makes saying they're not doing the testing, China is. People aren't upset about who is doing the testing, they're upset that UD entered the market knowing full well that their products would be tested on animals. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

totally agree! I too am not against the testing, and will continue to use their products, but i think that its getting a bit out of hand on the facebook page. there is a lot of bashing going on about people who are like me, not going to stop using the products or on chinese people in general. Don't get me wrong, I will probably rethink purchasing another item from them. but I wont go to the extreme of dumping hundreds of dollars worth of makeup into the trash because of it. Also, I think a part of it is a misunderstanding. a bunch of people are looking at this as UD + animal testing =
icon_evil.gif
, which it really isnt true. like it has been said before, the chinese government is requiring the testing, not because UD decided out of the blue that they wanted to test on animals.

in a government that censors free speech, bans search engines like google, and doesn't educate its youth about the heinous acts of genocide they committed? honestly I think most people in china have more to worry about--labor rights for starters.

I don't think it's about the people of china, I think it's about the foreign companies that choose to invest there--UD can't make the gov't change their policies, but they can sure say no. with a HUGE, booming market in asian cosmetics, UD isn't really anything special.

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

urban decay can't make the government change their policies, the people of china have to want the change.

if you paste that image on your company--cruelty-free, morality over profit--you stick with it. I wonder, if they didn't have the leaping bunny logo, would they have even bothered making a press release?

This is a huge disappointment to me as a vegan. It very much matters to me when a company cops out and says that they won't be testing on animals but the place they are planning to sell it likely will. This does not absolve them of guilt!  They are expanding into China for one reason only- profit. Urban Decay is placing their profit above the animals they know the Chinese will use their products to abuse and this is unacceptable. They have lost me as a customer and since I am admin on Facebook of several large vegetarian/vegan pages, I will be making over 250,000 followers aware of this. 

That's really too bad and disappointing. I can understand trying to make sure your products reach a new and promising market, but to take a step backwards and shy away from your morals--that's too much. =(

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

my sentiments exactly~~ :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I received an email update from the petition starter on change.org thought I would share it with you guys in case anyone missed it.

Urban Decay doesn't seem to be taking the heat of their decision well! As of 6/8/12, only two days after the news broke that they would let China conduct animal tests of their products, not only did they lose their Leaping Bunny and PETA certification off of their website, but their original press statement THEY released is now gone too!

If you still want to read the original, go here: http://www.temptalia.com/urban-decay-press-statement-animal-testing-and-china

This petition is in your hands. Please share it with everyone you know, and on any platform possible to try and make Urban Decay adopt a PERMANENT cruelty-free policy. Even if we do not succeed with them, it will show other cosmetics companies that moving into China with their current testing policies in place is not a good idea. Share this on Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, wherever you can think of.

Thank you for all of your support!

Stay beautiful the cruelty-free way,
Adina Chmiel
I just checked out their page and their original statement is indeed gone you can find the link to that here. Now it's just well short? I guess is the only way to describe it lol. They also took down their Vegan paw print from the bottom of their pages however it can still be seen and used to search for products they make that do include vegan ingredients.

Wonder how this is all going to play out for them, did anyone else sign up for the web chat?

I have a copy of the original press release on my blog  so I'll copy it here.

URBAN DECAY & CHINA Urban Decay is going to sell our products in China. Because of China’s policies on animal testing, we know that this will not be a popular decision with some of our loyal customers. But the decision is a thoughtful one.

For 16 years, we have been committed to two key causes: women’s rights, and the fight against animal testing. Our dedication to those causes will not waver.

For those of you unfamiliar with China’s policies, the sticking point is this: the Chinese government reserves the right to conduct animal testing with cosmetic products before the products are approved for use by Chinese citizens. The government has not told us if they have exercised this right with our products. So, our brand does not test on animals, but the Chinese government might conduct a one-time test using our products. Do we like China’s policies? No…and that is really the point. Going into China was a huge decision for Urban Decay. But, we believe that change cannot and will not happen by outside pressure alone in a closed market. Change can only happen from within. When we enter the Chinese market, we will do our part to help make those changes.

When we were considering expanding into China, a group of marketing consultants told us to remove the section of our company history that describes our crusade against animal testing. “It doesn’t mean anything to the Chinese beauty customer,†they said. Of course, we refused. Our “no animal testing†policy is part of who we are, and has been since day one. The news that animal issues don’t even register with the average Chinese consumer was one of the biggest factors in our decision to go there. During Urban Decay’s infancy, we worked hard to inform consumers about animal rights in the United States and Europe. The battleground for animal rights is now in China, and we want to be there to encourage dialogue and provoke change.

We also hope to shed some light on women’s rights issues in China. As a company that caters to a female customer, this is extremely important to us. For one thing, going into China is a way for us to advance women into important professional positions. We will help grow the cosmetics industry, which primarily employs and creates career paths for women. Although workers’ employment rights are a relatively new concept there, progress has been made partially because of pressure from businesses, consumers, and advocacy groups from other countries. Based on this, our belief is that both an outside force and inside pressure for change can result in helping transform both the importance of women and animal testing policies in China. And more importantly, we hope to influence the perspective of the citizens on both of these issues.

If we don’t go to China, other companies without our beliefs will, and the culture will never change. We want to encourage a culture of consumers who care enough to buy cruelty-free products, and who view professional women as role models who influence their lives on a daily basis.

Yes, we are a for-profit company. And yes, we would eventually like to make money in China. But we don’t stand to turn a profit in China for quite a while, partially because the market isn’t quite ready to sustain an untraditional brand like ours. If it were only about the money, we would wait a few years. But our foray into this market is also about participating in an amazing time of change in China. We don’t like animal testing (and neither do the 13 dogs in our office), but we are trying to change the world… even if it is one eye shadow at a time! Sitting on the sidelines isn’t our style. We understand that you might not like our decision, but we hope you can respect it.

Any editors or advocacy groups interested in interviews with Urban Decay founding partner Wende Zomnir may contact us at [email protected].

For any advocates or Urban Decay fans interested, Urban Decay founding partner Wende Zomnir will host a live chat in 2 weeks to answer questions about our entry into China. Please click here if you would like to sign up to be notified.

The new one simply states:

URBAN DECAY & CHINA
Urban Decay is planning to sell our products in China.

If you have any questions, our customer service team is available to you: [email protected]

For Urban Decay fans interested, founding partner Wende Zomnir will also host a live web chat in two weeks to answer your questions. Please click here to be notified of the date and time of the chat.

Editors or advocacy groups interested in interviews may contact us at [email protected]

I dont really care one way or another. I know a lot of people have extreme loyalty to the brand because of their stance on animal testing, and those people are pretty upset. Whats strange to me is that no one seemed to make this big of a stink when MAC started animal testing. What also is laughable to me, is some of these people crying foul at UD, but have a face full of MAC (or other Lauder products) on.

Money is money, if you dont like it, dont buy into their brand anymore. There are plenty of animal friendly retailers out there. They obviously dont care if they lose a few thousand loyal customers stateside, think of all they are gaining in China! * sarcasm*. But really, they have made up their minds, chosen their new path, its a done deal. UD knew what was going to happen and they dont care what anyone has to say about it.

I certainly do not agree with animal testing, but being a makeup junkie, its really either find a new hobby or deal with it. I can understand why people are upset, but (personally) I dont care one way or another.

Back