Vaseline: anti aging?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by luvmylittleboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use to do this in my early teens to mid 20's. I will still mix it w/my moisturizer in the winter because my skin gets really dry. Why did you stop? did it do anything bad to your skin?

Vaseline, along with mineral oil and all petroleum products, are not water soluble, which means they are difficult to remove. They also keep anything GOOD out , such as natural moisture. You can get the same effect with jojoba oil, which is the closet thing to our own natural sebum and oil. It also 'absorbs' into the skin and hair quickly and it only takes a couple of drops to moisturize your whole face. Vaseline is a man made plastic by product. Not natural in my opinion.

I'll be 50 years old this month and i do not have any wrinkles. I've used jojoba oil and grapeseed oil for years. I also use the OCM (oil cleansing method) for cleaning my face. Haven't used any bar soaps or cleansers. This is also a good cleanser for oil-prone, acne, and other skin ailments. Oil cleans oil, thus reducing the pores need to over-produce oil.

Congrats bejb1011!!!! i use vaseline all over my body but my face is drama driven these days...so i'm benzoyl peroxide-lactic peel-water drikinging obsessed...lol

My mom, scratch that, all the elders in my family use vaseline and they have no wrinkles...even in their 70s!! i use to use it but of course i have been blessed with troubled skin..my mom doesn't wear sunblock either and not a wrinkle in sight..she just retired too! isn't she lucky...lol

Originally Posted by katrosier /img/forum/go_quote.gif yaaaaaaaaaaay bejb1011! We should totally repackage it and sell it as a miracle cure for skin ! lol we gotta make our millions somehow!!!

I would be a little nervous about vaseline on my face, it's known to clog pores. Your skin needs to breathe. There are so many wonderful skin care programs out there, why take that chance. Our face is the 1st thing people see - let's take good care of it.

Keep in mind that Tyra has a crew working on her face daily (at least 5 out of 7 days a week). So if the vaseline causes pimples they have the goods to cover them up. I love her show but I personally don't think vaseline on your face is a good idea.

Off course I teach skin care - which probably has a lot to do with my answer. Find a good skin care program, leave the vaseline for your elbows and feet
rotfl.gif
- Hope this helps

This is my 1st day on this website - It's GREAT!!!!!

Originally Posted by Dee-Mary Kay/NJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would be a little nervous about vaseline on my face, it's known to clog pores. Your skin needs to breathe. There are so many wonderful skin care programs out there, why take that chance. Our face is the 1st thing people see - let's take good care of it. Keep in mind that Tyra has a crew working on her face daily (at least 5 out of 7 days a week). So if the vaseline causes pimples they have the goods to cover them up. I love her show but I personally don't think vaseline on your face is a good idea.

Off course I teach skin care - which probably has a lot to do with my answer. Find a good skin care program, leave the vaseline for your elbows and feet
rotfl.gif
- Hope this helps

This is my 1st day on this website - It's GREAT!!!!!

since ive started i have had LESS zits than i did, less oil, my skins texture has improved GREATLY, so for me dove soap ad vaseline is a great skin care program

Originally Posted by bejb1011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif since ive started i have had LESS zits than i did, less oil, my skins texture has improved GREATLY, so for me dove soap ad vaseline is a great skin care program Wow you are one of the lucky ones! I'm really glad that it works so well for you. My response is just my opinion and also from results of what I've seen over the years. If I can ever be of any help - feel free to reach out
hand.gif

Petrolatum is Vaseline's main ingredient

Petrolatum

A petroleum-based grease that is used industrially as a grease component. Petrolatum exhibits many of the same harmful properties as mineral oil.

Mineral Oil

A derivative of crude oil (petroleum) that is used industrially as a cutting fluid and lubricating oil. Mineral oil forms an oily film over the skin to lock moisture, toxins and wastes, but hinders normal skin respiration by keeping oxygen out.

Jojoba Oil:

Jojoba Oil can be used to remove make-up, cleanse clogged pores, soften skin, moisturize hair and scalp plus it is suitable for sensitive skin. Desert Essence Pure Jojoba Oil is a pure and natural plant extract which will penetrate and moisturize your skin without leaving any oily residue. This makes it suitable for even the most sensitive skin. Can be used as a leave in hair treatment while in the sun or as a aftershave moisturizer. This luxurious oil can be used to remove make-up and to cleanse clogged pores leaving the skin clean. Soften your hands and feet by massaging them with Jojoba Oil after bathing. Treat your hair and scalp to a rejuvenating massage with Jojoba Oil-especially good for moisturizing the scalp and to prevent dry skin or dandruff.

100% Pure Jojoba Oil.Notes
biggrin.gif
oes Not Contain: Animal Ingredients or Testing, Alcohol, Detergents, Artificial Color, Synthetic Perfumes, Preservatives or Petro-Chemicals.Recommended Use:Massage into skin, hair or scalp.

Originally Posted by justgreen444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Petrolatum is Vaseline's main ingredient...
Hi Justgreen - where did you get this information? Im always skeptical about these claims because if it is a jojoba oil manufacturer they will say anything to get you to buy their product. Not to say jojoba oil isn't all that but I personally think vaseline/petroleum jelly is safe for your skin.
You guys should also consider Vitamin A&D ointment - also sold in the baby aisle!

Okay; I'm persuaded. As I type this yesss; my face has a thin coating of vaseline on it. At first my skin did look very greasy but now it seems to be soaking in. Typically I wouldnt put it on during the day but today I'm not doing anything special or going anywhere so i've decided to start the Vaseline Challenge during the day, normally I will probly only be applying it at night. I might do a makeup test later on today and see how my makeup applies when I have vaseline on my face. I have EXTREMLEY acne- prone combination skin; I just read this thread earlier this morning but I already have alot of pimples, so I might as well give it a go... based on what everyone has said it hasnt had much effect on there acne, atleast not in a negative way. Sooo; 10/23/06- start of my Vaseline challenge. I will do my best to update and comment etc!

Originally Posted by 80sPRODUCT /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay; I'm persuaded. As I type this yesss; my face has a thin coating of vaseline on it. At first my skin did look very greasy but now it seems to be soaking in. Typically I wouldnt put it on during the day but today I'm not doing anything special or going anywhere so i've decided to start the Vaseline Challenge during the day, normally I will probly only be applying it at night. I might do a makeup test later on today and see how my makeup applies when I have vaseline on my face. I have EXTREMLEY acne- prone combination skin; I just read this thread earlier this morning but I already have alot of pimples, so I might as well give it a go... based on what everyone has said it hasnt had much effect on there acne, atleast not in a negative way. Sooo; 10/23/06- start of my Vaseline challenge. I will do my best to update and comment etc! You really should not be using Vaseline on your skin especially if it's already oily. You need to use a product to help absorb the oil not add more. Not that I recommend Vaseline on your skin no matter what type of skin you have. Your experiment may lead to a long recovery. I would not advise it at all. If you do decide to follow through with this - I have a great acne gel.
yess.gif

My skin is only oily in my t-zones; and as someone else mentioned it actually seemed to absorb in those areas quiker then my dry areas; such as my cheeks, my nose, and sections of my forehead. I appretiate your advise, and if I do notice a negative affect from the vaseline I will discontinue the usage of it. I dont know how my skin could actually get any worse; so i'm at a desperate type stage in my life I guess you could say. I need to find somthing that works and continues to work; thats the problem, I will find products that deliver a temporary fix but then my skin becomes immune to them or somthing and I wake up one day with 3 or 4 more lovely pimples. Once again I want to thank you for your concern, and if it does worsen my skin I will be chucking the vaseline jar out the window... haaaa; not really, I use it on my lips and my elbows/knees/hands/feet and night but hopefully you catch my drift.

As soon as I have 10 posts, I will return back to this thread and post the links and my findings. My skin speaks volumes from the uses of natural oils, jojoba, grapeseed, coconut, emu. I'm not alone in these claims, as thousands of us at the Long Hair Community learn and grow. I also do not use hair products with silicone in them.

Justgreen; you use these products on both your hair and your skin or just your hair?, i'm alsways curious to find out about more natural products... so please; if you can share your information. By replying I can also help you reach 10! =]

Yes I use them on my hair and skin. I make up a leave -in hair rinse that uses distilled water, honey, white vinegar, lemon juice and coconut oil.

I use two drops of jojoba oil mixed with a pea sized amount of silicone free conditioner and apply it to my damp hair ends.

Jojoba oil and Grapeseed oil are my face moisturizers. They absorb right into the skin instead of 'sitting' on top of it.

I only use lotions (preferably Nature's Gate products found at health food stores and Whole Foods, also online) that contain no silicone , petroleum or mineral.

I use mild sulfated shampoos, diluted on the scalp only. I coat my ends and length with silicone free condtioner (VO5 products work great and are inexpensive for this) , and then apply my diluted shampoo with a nozzle applicator bottle. Once you shake it up, you'll have all the lather you want, and then some! I only use 1 tablespoon of shampoo mixed with about 4 ounces of water.

I do highlight my roots every two months, but have it done professionally. My hairdresser says I have the healthiest hair she's ever seen, AND the longest, to be highlighted. I air dry my hair. I'll post a picture after I have ten posts.
scared.gif

This was taken about two weeks ago. By the way, I'll be 50 years old this month.

PEPPERMINTZING2.jpg

Originally Posted by geebers /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Justgreen - where did you get this information? Im always skeptical about these claims because if it is a jojoba oil manufacturer they will say anything to get you to buy their product. Not to say jojoba oil isn't all that but I personally think vaseline/petroleum jelly is safe for your skin.
You guys should also consider Vitamin A&D ointment - also sold in the baby aisle!

This is taken right off the back of my jojoba bottle, which i've been using for two years:
Desert Essence Jojoba Oil

This luxurious oil can be used to remove make-up and to cleanse clogged pores leaving the skin clean. Soften your hands and feet by massaging them with Jojoba Oil after bathing. Treat your hair and scalp to a rejuvenating massage with Jojoba Oil - especially good for moisturing the scalp and to prevent dry skin or dandruff. May be used as a leave in hair treatment while in the sun or as an aftershave moisturizer.

Other Ingredients:

100% pure Jojoba Oil.

Does Not Contain:

Animal ingredients, alcohol, artificial detergents, color or synthetic perfumes

Another great tip is Hemorroid Ointment, it helps shrink puffy eyes fast. I use this at bedtime. A tiny bit is all you need.

Originally Posted by 80sPRODUCT /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay; I'm persuaded. As I type this yesss; my face has a thin coating of vaseline on it. At first my skin did look very greasy but now it seems to be soaking in. Typically I wouldnt put it on during the day but today I'm not doing anything special or going anywhere so i've decided to start the Vaseline Challenge during the day, normally I will probly only be applying it at night. I might do a makeup test later on today and see how my makeup applies when I have vaseline on my face. I have EXTREMLEY acne- prone combination skin; I just read this thread earlier this morning but I already have alot of pimples, so I might as well give it a go... based on what everyone has said it hasnt had much effect on there acne, atleast not in a negative way. Sooo; 10/23/06- start of my Vaseline challenge. I will do my best to update and comment etc! yessssssssss!! give it a shot! its workin for me! my skin was horriable and it hasnt negativly effected it. are you using dove beauty bar also?

Originally Posted by hollywood /img/forum/go_quote.gif Katrosier, can you post a picture of your Vasaline please. The ingredients must be very different of what is sold here in Canada.
I tried it in my late teens and it was a huge mistake! I wish it worked for me and I would save a lot of money!

I really love to follow your experiment.....was told by my doctor that when you try something new, you should give it three months.

unfortunatly I cant find a pic and my cam isnt working .. the website is Bienvenue chez Mercurochrome - Premiers soins, pansements, hygiène but its down for maintainence so I will let you know once its back up and running.

Originally Posted by hollywood /img/forum/go_quote.gif Katrosier, can you post a picture of your Vasaline please. The ingredients must be very different of what is sold here in Canada.
I tried it in my late teens and it was a huge mistake! I wish it worked for me and I would save a lot of money!

I really love to follow your experiment.....was told by my doctor that when you try something new, you should give it three months.

vaseline is vaseline peterolum jelly

Sorry bej; I dont know how to quote.... pathetic! I am most deffinetely going to give the vaseline challenge a go. Like I mentioned in a previous post; I'm so desperate right now. I just want to be able to look in the mirror and see a face that is acne free and maybe even be able to feel as if I can step foot out of the house without a full face of makeup on. HEAVEN. Enough rambling tho; I'm pretty excited about this vaseline, so far everything is good. Its the end of the day now and my skin isnt at all greasy and ive had the vaseline on it all day. In a few minutes i'm going to exfoliate and apply some more. Bej; no, I'm not using the Dove beauty bar, as a matter a fact i've never heard of it before. Is it somthing you would reccomend to me? Currently i'm using an exfoliating cleanser and clinique toner; and I was up until this morning using a moisterizer. Thankyou for your nice PM, I wasnt able to reply because you apparently need 50 posts. I havent even hit 10 yet! I really appretiate your post and the PM tho; I love it here... everyone is sooo nice and friendly!

Back