Ways to re-use or re-purpose monthly subscription boxes!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am thinking of trying to paint my Birchboxes. I have a bunch and I was thinking of using them to make gift boxes for Christmas, kind of like these:

But... I'm not terribly crafty. Would spray paint kill the cardboard? Does anyone have suggestions for the best paint to use for this?
Maybe do a paper mache thingie, it almost looks like glitter craft paper.. but I'm not that knowledgeable on craft supplies, so I could definitely be wrong!

I just cleaned out my empty boxes and have them stacked up..will be trying a few of these! Time to start trying these projects, instead of watching from the sidelines lol.

Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am thinking of trying to paint my Birchboxes. I have a bunch and I was thinking of using them to make gift boxes for Christmas, kind of like these:

But... I'm not terribly crafty. Would spray paint kill the cardboard? Does anyone have suggestions for the best paint to use for this?
I spent a couple of hours at Hobby Lobby the other day looking at various products. Because the cardboard is thicker than normal it won't hurt the boxes if you have a light hand, after all unfinished cardboard boxes are sold at craft stores. I ordered from Hobby Lobby an 8 oz bottle of Mod Podge sparkle because I had planned on covering the boxes with paper then I realized that would cost too much money unless I went with wrapping paper so I'm going to buy Christmas paper and Mod Podge it rather than paint it. If I went the paint route I would probably use an acrylic and glitter then seal it with either Mod Podge or a spray sealer.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I spent a couple of hours at Hobby Lobby the other day looking at various products. Because the cardboard is thicker than normal it won't hurt the boxes if you have a light hand, after all unfinished cardboard boxes are sold at craft stores. I ordered from Hobby Lobby an 8 oz bottle of Mod Podge sparkle because I had planned on covering the boxes with paper then I realized that would cost too much money unless I went with wrapping paper so I'm going to buy Christmas paper and Mod Podge it rather than paint it. If I went the paint route I would probably use an acrylic and glitter then seal it with either Mod Podge or a spray sealer.
Thanks for your help! I just went to the crafts store and got a primer, acrylic paints (one with glitter included) and a spray satin finish. At least if I mess something up, I have plenty more boxes to experiment with! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Dalisay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This one is also on my wall:

Duck tape and two pins is what's keeping that little compartment from falling lol Thats where I keep all my lip tars since it doesn't stand on it's own cause of the caps. I had it sticking out so I can see the color. I would have made it longer but, I cut the wrong side of the cover :/
I love this!!!  I want to try this.  I don't know that the birchboxes will be sturdy enough, but I think the sample society ones should work.

I bought the large zebra print Duck Tape brand sheets and a roll of zebra print Duck Tape. On my first Glossybox I use the roll of Duck Tape to cover it then on the second the sheet on the lid and the roll. Wish I remembered about the Duck Tape sheet from the start because using the roll on the lid wasted a lot of Duck Tape. I use the two Duck Tape boxes for my Sugarpill. I also used the zebra print Duck Tape roll on the insert to my trolly so it's all matchy matchy. LOL I bought other zebra print color card stock to use the Mod Podge on the Birchboxes. I chose Duck Tape on the Glossyboxes because I wasn't sure if I could mod podge the Glossybox due to the glossy finish on it.

I made this DIY brush holder just half an hour ago and thinking how else I could do it better.

Anyways, this was made out of Glossybox (the top part) and some pieces of wrapper carton tubes that I do not throw away. These were from our holiday wrapping stuff but IDK I kept on thinking how to repurpose them. It was kinda difficult because I had to cut them with a box cutter, therefore the edges are not straight. Best substitutes are the toilet paper tubes!

I wrapped them with our left over gift wrappers then hot glued on the box top. I did not like it looked bare so I put those pink filler paper shreds from PopSugar box.

Any suggestions to make it better?
smile.gif
I am thinking of filling it with tubes so I could put more stuff like eye pencils and thin makeup brushes.

I

I made this DIY brush holder just half an hour ago and thinking how else I could do it better. Anyways, this was made out of Glossybox (the top part) and some pieces of wrapper carton tubes that I do not throw away. These were from our holiday wrapping stuff but IDK I kept on thinking how to repurpose them. It was kinda difficult because I had to cut them with a box cutter, therefore the edges are not straight. Best substitutes are the toilet paper tubes! I wrapped them with our left over gift wrappers then hot glued on the box top. I did not like it looked bare so I put those pink filler paper shreds from PopSugar box. Any suggestions to make it better? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am thinking of filling it with tubes so I could put more stuff like eye pencils and thin makeup brushes.
I absolutely love this!!!! Going to attempt making my own tomorrow!

How do you mail stuff with the old birchboxes? Just tape them shut and stick a label on them? Do you ever have any problems with the boxes popping open or the post office not accepting them? 

VERY clever! Another idea... styrofoam or that stuff used in flower arranging and stick inside the box then put your lipsticks in that. Sort of how Elessa (Pursebuzz) did her lipstick holder but only in a box.

Originally Posted by viccckyhoang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used the CEW Insider's Choice Beauty Box and a Nike Box! It's not perfectly straight but it holds 50 lipsticks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

VERY clever! Another idea... styrofoam or that stuff used in flower arranging and stick inside the box then put your lipsticks in that. Sort of how Elessa (Pursebuzz) did her lipstick holder but only in a box.
I remade them since I didn't like how it looked in my drawers.. here's an updated photo!

^ it can fold flat!

^ how it looks in my drawers! ;] absolutely love it to death.. (this is most of my lip products)

Is that the Ikea Alex? How did you make the inserts for the box?
Hey Zadi! It is the Ikea Alex ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> For the inserts I used regular plain poster boards and followed Enkore's instructions which can be found here:

It was a lot of cutting and measuring (so it took quite awhile to make) but it's so worth it in the end! Will you be trying it out?

I make it for my friends too (like missglammygirl here on MUT) and they really love it!

BTW - I kinda tweaked the measurements a bit.. For my lipsticks, occ lip tars, jumbo pencils inserts I only did the height one size of the ruler instead of his usual 2 & then just measured it in half, drew the line to turn it into 2.. I did this so my lipsticks were easy to take out and so that I can also see them. Then my lip creams and lip gloss insert, I followed his instructions.

Originally Posted by TacomaGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I made a makeup organizer out of my Glossy Boxes. These things are sturdy! I try to keep my beauty shopping habits under control. My rule is if the boxes are full then I'm on a beauty no buy until I can thin out the ranks a bit. I've been using this thing for a couple of months and so far so good. The bottom of the box is hot glued to the lid of the box beneath it. I picked up the decorative paper and metal findings in the scrapbook section of Joanne Fabrics

I am not sure how I never noticed the little feet on these. I adore that! It really adds so much.

In other news I made the Glossybox 3 drawer chest but the top is a tiny bit off center and to be honest it's driving me nuts looking at it everyday. I am heavily considering prying it apart and resetting it so my mild OCD can calm down.

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, there are 6 pieces of dowel in the box cut to 5 inches so they fit snug.

They hold my circular pots very well and even my square ones!

genius!  love it and thanks for the pics to show us how you did it!

Speaking of upcycling, i tried it with birchboxes and got this:

It's not exactly glamrous, but it works and actually holds a bunch of stuff. It doesn't fit perfectly though, and I had to improvise some clever tricks to get it to actually be useful drawers.

Definitely makes me want to sub to glossy box, if only to get the boxes to make it... XD;

also: $1000 for a camera and I still cannot take a fucking picture :| sigh

I can't wait until I have enough Birchbox boxes to try some of these ideas! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It is bad that I want to sign for for more subs just for the box? Lol

i love this! how did you make it??

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Speaking of upcycling, i tried it with birchboxes and got this:

It's not exactly glamrous, but it works and actually holds a bunch of stuff. It doesn't fit perfectly though, and I had to improvise some clever tricks to get it to actually be useful drawers.

Definitely makes me want to sub to glossy box, if only to get the boxes to make it... XD;

also: $1000 for a camera and I still cannot take a fucking picture :| sigh

Back