What are your thoughts on fake nails?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id give it a miss if a baby is on the way! picking up a small baby etc will be hard with longer nais than your used to, i made that mistake and 'pampered' myself when my little one was 3 months and couldnt do much - was too sceared of scratching her! Depending on what type of fake nails you get the smell can be overwelming, I personal like fibre glass fake nails as they are strong thin and they didnt smell much putting them on

I think they are nice looking only if it's not too long or big....some have the french tip kinds but the white is very very thick and the shape of the nail looks triangular and it looks real fake that way...I think they look less fake if it's not super long...also if you don't want to spend all that money to do them they have acrylics at the drugstore and you just put them on yourself...i never tried those before though but I used to know someone who did and she said they look pretty nice for an affordable price...

I like them. Sometimes I get the crazy urge and I get them done. Usually french manicured and not too long. I have the bad habit of biting my nails so I get acrylics because my hands look nicer and longer. I think you have to go to a reputable place to get them done.

I love them! I'm like a lot of you guys, I get them on here and there throughout my life. I feel more feminine and polished (no pun intended) when I have them on. When I have the fakes on, I keep the look understated and classic with a sheer pale pink and a very short length. Sometimes I do a French manicure, but I keep the white tip very thin and short. I REALLY want to get them done again lately, but I haven't yet 'cause I've been spending money on new bath and body stuff and MU!

Acrylic Nails drive me insane!!!!! I always rip them off after the first day. I don't think they are tacky as long as they are a reasonable length and properly groomed. Personally I can't have them because I am a makeup artist and can't dig my acrylic nail into someones eye! I keep my nails very short.

I'd love to get some false nails for special occasions. But it's just not worth it. They'd come off within 5 minutes where I work.

i love acrylic nails but, personally i'm not too fond of the airbrush designs and so on. if anything, i perfer a more natural look & length.. i.e french manicure/american manicure, silk/gel wrap.

Personally, I never have had fake nail tips ( a full set). I have only gotten a tip when I had a very bad breakage. However, I find that tips have a tendency to weaken the nail and damage the nail beds. Otherwise my nails are naturally long and healthy. Most people think that I have tips though. I think that instead of resorting to using tips or wraps that you should try regular manicures. Also try soaking your nails in pure olive oil, almond oil, or vitamin oil which will help to stimulate the growth. To prevent biting your nails always keep nail polish on them. This will deter your desire to bite your nails. With the manicure I would also get a pedicure. It's pure ectasy. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I used to get acrylics because my hubby likes long nails. I am still trying to grow out the damage and it is taking months. My nails are really thin too and the nail tech would always hurt me with the drill, ouch! I would dread going to get them filled because it hurt.

I like the way fake nails look, but it isn't worth it for me anymore, plus I am saving money now. :icon_razz

For many, many years I have worn quite long nails but they are my own. I am nutty about keeping my finger and toe nails nicely manicured. Until very recently, if one broke one I cut them all and my husband would flip that I had spent so much time and energy on them yet, I cut them all off over breaking one. He actually suggested to instead I replace the broken one with a fake.

A FAKE~~~ omg I thought...but I tried it and I can get the glue on ones and manicure them til no one can tell the difference. This works great for me to fix a break here and there but I have never liked the look of acrylics. Though I can appreciate the time, effort and $$$$ people into them, I have yet to see them on someone and wonder, hmmmm are those real?

To me it looks better to take care off your own no matter what they may be and with some love and care, a little $ (and gloves for chores) who knows you might end up liking the way your own nails look. And oh p.s. you don't have to worry with infections, fungus' and the ruin of the nail beneath all that muck either.:icon_lol:

Same here, Trisha.

There's nothing wrong with fake nails though, it just not my style I guess.

Couldn't agree more with you.... How much is that in Usa and in the Uk? A professional service is about € 100 (= $ 117, £ 67) in Milan

My nails are very thin and always break, they never grow long, but my friend gets overlays on her nails, and I'm gonna try it out and see how they look. I never get mine done because of the pain of taking the tips off. I want to try overlay nails, which are gel or acrylic put on your natural nail without the tips, I hear the gel nails look really natural without polish. I think it's cheaper too, like 18.00 (depending where you go)

Allright, after some pondering I think I am not going to do the fake nails this time... The fumes, and with the baby coming doesn't sound like a smart idea. Knowing me, I will want to rip them off b/c they'd keep getting in the way! I will try giving myself regular manicures, and splurge now and then to get them done professionally. At least it'll save me $$ that I could use on my hobbies, right? :icon_chee

Here's my history: VERY weak nails that grow fast but are very thin and break so easily. Plus I'm a nail biter!

For my 14th birthday my mum gave me 'nails' as a present hehe - so I started getting gels done and filling them in around every 3 weeks for 3 years (luckily my mum kept on paying the refills for me). My experience with gels is that they break so easily and I found that they looked so fake and thick on my hands but most of all it was costing me so much cause I was in the salon all the time getting my nails fixed from breakages. (The gel the technician used was by a brand called Trosani).

I later switched to acrylics for 2 years (EzFlow brand) which I favoured to gels because they were much stronger and I refilled every 3 1/2 weeks approx.

I then gave my nails a 1 1/2 yr break and grew them long but they kept on breaking and had to keep cutting them short, and during times of stress I used to bite them all off.

So here I am again getting fake nails. I went in last month and got sculptured acrylic nails (by Creatives) and was surprised that they do not use a tip so that makes the nail less prone to breakages. I totally love these nails and I got them done using glossy white acrylic for a permanent french manicure effect so while my nails are growing out they are still looking good cause I have no chipped polish or anything. In fact it has been 4 weeks since I did them and am going in for a refill next week and no breakages! And they don't look bad at all! I like my nails to be natural looking as possible cause I hate it when they look fake and thick and normally get them shaped in between square and round.

I enjoy wearing acrylic nails, my polish doesn't chip off, and, if I break one the break isn't down in the nail bed where my real nails would break, so it doesn't hurt!

As far as looking fake, MAKEUP is fake, looks it, too.

Back