What are your thoughts on fake nails?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wore acrylics for a number of years & if done by a skilled nail artist they look beautiful, long or short.

Unfortunately good salons are hard to come by now, and "cheap" Mall salons are popping up everywhere. Their hygiene practices are atrocious, their skills terrible, & products questionable. These people give acrylics a bad name by giving people infections, ruining natural nails, using illegal chemicals because they're cheap & ugly looking acrylic nails.

If you get acrylics or gels, please please please make sure you pay for quality, don't go to a cheap salon as you'll definitely get what you paid for, and maybe a whole lot more.

The reason I stopped getting acrylics is because it just cost too much in the long run, infills being $50AU every 3 weeks. I'd rather spend that on makeup! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Seriously! My nail tech calls those places chop shops lol.

Originally Posted by KeLLsTar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wore acrylics for a number of years & if done by a skilled nail artist they look beautiful, long or short.

Unfortunately good salons are hard to come by now, and "cheap" Mall salons are popping up everywhere. Their hygiene practices are atrocious, their skills terrible, & products questionable. These people give acrylics a bad name by giving people infections, ruining natural nails, using illegal chemicals because they're cheap & ugly looking acrylic nails.

If you get acrylics or gels, please please please make sure you pay for quality, don't go to a cheap salon as you'll definitely get what you paid for, and maybe a whole lot more.

The reason I stopped getting acrylics is because it just cost too much in the long run, infills being $50AU every 3 weeks. I'd rather spend that on makeup! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've gotten acrylic nails 4 years ago. It was my first time. Cost me $45CAD, and ummm...my cuticles were cut too much and bled a lot, resulting in an infection which resulted in nail fungus, half of my nail was gone, took me months to regrow my infected nail! Overall, awful experience, I haven't set foot in a salon ever since.

Originally Posted by KeLLsTar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I no longer wear fake nails, I am a big fan of 2 week gel polishes like gelish :)

I stopped doing acrylics years ago also. I was sick and tired of paying a fortune to sit in a salon and get tortured. They always filed my nails too thin and hurt me. Now I buy glue ons from the dollar store and do all my own nail art. It's so much cheaper and I get the therapeutic benefit of having a creative outlet.

personally, i don't like fake nails while it is really popular things for young girls

I think they can look nice.  However, I work in health care and they are not allowed for patient safety reasons.  They get super nasty dirty no matter how much you clean and scrub.

I think they can look quite nice on some people and extremely tacky on others. It really depends if they are done nicely or by someone who hasn't got a clue about it. I've personally never had fake nails and I'm not planning to ever get them done (heard too many horror stories about bad salons).

I don't like fake nails cuz I like to change my nail polish every 2 days..
w00t.gif

Back