What are your thoughts on fake nails?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have never went to a salon, I do mine at home with the nails you buy at the drugstore.for 5-10. dollars you can buy all lengths and colors. They even have them for toes ! Alot of people I know have had trouble getting them to stay on, but the secrets to keeping them on is in the application of the glue. First off, throw the directions away! start by cleaning your nails with polish remover, only buff them up just alittle,pick out sizes to match your nails and only apply the glue to YOUR fingernail! don't put glue on the fake nail as the directions sometimes tell you. put one drop on the center of your nail and using the glue bottle tip, spread the glue around on top of your nail. if it is not enough to cover, put one more drop again, in the center of your nail, then apply the nail and hold down for 5-7 seconds. if any excess glue comes out around the nail, wipe very quickly with a paper towel. just keep an eye on your nails every couple days to check to see if they are getting loose.remember, this glue is a super glue so be careful not to glue your fingers together.LOL. I have been using these for many years with no problem! ieven have friends who come to borrow my glue to fix their salon nails, and mine have stayed on better! also, if you want to remove or change them, soak them in the acetone remover or the kind sold just for these type nails! Once you get the hang of it, it will only take 10 min. or so to do. I even do mine sitting in my car at lunch from work-easy! the main thing is just remeber to check them every couple days, maybe while standing in the check out line at the store!

:scared:eek:ops! one more thing, don't use the glue that comes with the nails, use a bacteria free kind,most times sold right next to the nails! it lasts longer, and you wont get that nasty green fungus some salon nails give you! :rotfl:

hmmmm their nice, plus nail polish stays on much longer the only problem is scratching! nothing like scratching with a natural nail!

I've had them done quite a few times and each time I swear not to do it again, but I do!!!

Now I think the nicest thing is short nails, shaped nicely, with a nice polish on there! Cheap and easy!

i do fake nails like, once a year. ha. i don't bite my nails anymore so its just easier and cheaper to do them myself.

I think they look great when done right but i personally don't get them done myself. they seem like too much work to keep them up

If done properly, they can look nice, and by properly, I mean by a qualified nail technician who is going to take the time to go through the correct process, not acrylic nails done at cheap nail bars where short cuts are taken and you are left with thick, chunky, unsightly nails, that are gonna fall off in a few days time. Worry if your acrylics are done in 15 mins.

I go through phases of wearing them, when i do, they're french and mid length, not too long.

I love getting fake nails I have to always have em I always got em done when pregnant & have always had em I dont have any problems at all changing my kids diapers or anything I never scratch em aeither bbut thats probably cuz I wear em all the time I know how to work with em!!! I get air brush nails. colored tips, rhinestones all sorts of stuff !!!!! I love goin to get fills and change the look every two weeks!!!

I think they look nice, I've had them done twice in my life and I just hate the aftermath of having them. My nails are pretty soft to begin with so I hate feeling like I barely have nail left after taking off acrylics.

I've gotten quite good at doing and maintaining my own nails and I'm happy with that.

I used to wear the gel nails. I took them off about 8 months ago. They are expensive to maintain but, they look pretty. I am just growing my own au' naturale!! :laughing:

i dont like how bulky fake nails look on me, but i always admire them on others..

high maintenance, too. especially on those prenatal vitamins, ur nails will grow really fast. u may be at the nail salon every week.. save ur cash for gas

I think that if they are done right (not too long and thick) that they look extremely classy and pretty!!

If you can't keep them up... DO NOT GET THEM. Nothing is worse than a woman with JACKED up acrylics. I am the same as you.. I go through stages where I want them for a while and get real girlie... then when I'm tried of them I have to hassle with removal. It's HORRIBLE on your actual nails. But if you have the time and money to maintain them... go for it.

I think they can look nice if done properly. I used to wear acrylics every now and again...pretty much like once-twice a year...until I went natural about a year ago...and I just dont look at them the same anymore, lol. If you like them and they make you feel better, then get them....

I tried acrylic nails once. And planning to have them again for a special occasion. Down side, it made my natural nails thinner and easy to break.

I love acrylics. I've had them pretty much non-stop for the past 4-5 years. Except right now I haven't for about 2 weeks but I cant wait to get them done again. They make me feel more girly I guess in a way, I just love the way they look.

I think they can look good if done properly. The woman I nanny for owns a nail and facial salon and she does the gels. Fortunately, my nails grow out easily; people are always asking if they're real.

Back