What makeup product do you REFUSE to get on-board with?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Concealer. I just don't see the need for it. My foundation works fine at covering my skin. Also the whole highlighting your face with all the heavy concealer three shades lighter than your skin looks ridiculous to me. It's probably just me, but I think that's too much. Also I don't want my face to look like two colors since I never find matching concealer shades anyway.

Powders. I never powder my face after foundation because I think that's too much product already. Makes me looking so caky and heavy. I tried translucent powder once to set my makeup but still look oily later on in the day! So I thought...let's just forget it.

Highlighter. Again, just not needed. Blush is enough and blushes with a little sheen is even better and can work as a highlight.

Non-asian BB creams - in 99% of cases they are just tinted moisturizers.

Lip and cheek stains - I don't like any type of staining on my skin, so I never liked the staining effect from my cosmetic products.

Fake lashes - I think my own lashes are quite nice, so I see no need for the fake ones.

Self tanner - I haven't been outside without SPF50+ for the past 15 years, and I love my pale skin. I just don't like the way tan looks on people, but to each their own.

Fake lashes and self tanner, the most popular answers! I still have, unopened, a set of fake lashes that I got from Ipsy almost a year ago...I saved them "just in case" I ever felt like playing around with false lashes, but it hasn't happened yet and probably isn't going to. 

I'm also not big on bronzer, for contouring or an all-over bronzing thing - I'm really pale, and I feel like my skin just looks dirty! I do own a bronzer, though, (two actually - a full size Essence and a mini Benefit Hoola) and occasionally pull it out again, but always come to the same conclusion. 

Oh, yes, self-tanners!  Did I mention bronzers before?  I can't remember.  Both just make me look dirty.  And lashes.  My eyeglass prescription is too strong to bother with lashes.  And not makeup, but things sub boxes send out, so I'll add them to the list:  Hold and styling products.  And heat protection.  I will not use hold/styling products, and I will not use heat on my hair.

(As a side note, I wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in earlier.  This is a very WTF OH HELL NO thread when you think you're in an ipsy thread reading what everyone s *hoping* to get next month.)

leave in conditioners, shine hair products.

I have very fine, very limp, very oily hair .   I have built in shine already - lol.  leave in conditioners just make my hair greasy.  I just washed my hair - why would I leave in a conditioner? 

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's foundation. I can't stand the way it feels, and I've never managed to get it to look decent. I will use Loreal Magic BB Cream or Missha BB Cream.

I second the leave-in conditioners. Most hair products don't interest me though.

I don't understand the point of heavy contouring and it seems like way too much work.  I get that it looks nice in pictures, but I don't know how natural it translates in person.
Agreed, I think that's why I gave up on trying to master it...a lot of work and hard to find the right shades, and...well, I'll just look like my non-defined self. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

MIne are liquids. (blush, foundation, liners) Why? You can't customize (thicken) the texture and consistency of liquids. Plus there is the lack-of-hygiene factor in liquid liners due to product wastage. Also with liquid blushes, it's very difficult to replicate the finish for photo matches. One could, but it's very difficult. I use alternatives like cremes, gels and cakes.

I also cannot get on board with contouring. I've tried every method of application, product formula, and I just can't get it to look right on me. 

(Just realized I didn't mention a product...so bronzer it is!)

My no-gos:

1. Self tanners: I am naturally pale and I like it that way.

2. Face oils: I have used cleansing oils and that's fine but every oil one applies for moisturizing benefits (argan, maracuja, etc.) are definitely on my list of dislikes. My worst story was when I put argan oil in my hair (for the glossing effect, just a drop or two) over the course of a few days and broke out like crazy all around my hair line. This despite wearing my hair pulled back almost all of the time (except when sleeping). It took weeks for my skin to calm down. Never again!

3. Foundation: This is one of those things that I may change as I get older but right now my skin is decent enough that tinted moisturizers and BB creams along with a little concealer work nicely.

4. Serums with dimethicone: I learned this through trial and error but serums or moisturizers with dimethicone always make me break out. If I have them then I use them on non-face areas instead! Oddly it doesn't bother my skin if I use a BB cream with dimethicone, but I think that's because I always apply my daily moisturizer (with SPF) before any makeup-type items so the BB cream doesn't sink in as much.

I've tried and tried to find a foundation in cream, powder, liquid, etc. format that both matches my skin tone and doesn't feel disgusting on my skin, but it's a tall order. 99% of the time I wear just concealer, or concealer plus setting powder. On the plus side, it's a natural look and quick to apply.

I've tried and tried to find a foundation in cream, powder, liquid, etc. format that both matches my skin tone and doesn't feel disgusting on my skin, but it's a tall order. 99% of the time I wear just concealer, or concealer plus setting powder. On the plus side, it's a natural look and quick to apply.
I have issues with foundation (particularly liquid ones) too...for a long time I didn't use them at all, then I went to BB creams (but those are hard to match, Missha is the only one so far that really matches me)...but I have had a bit of luck with Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse, surprisingly!

I cannot be be bothered with BB creams because I feel that they do absolutely nothing for my skin. I also do not do false lashes. I cannot master applying them and all it turns out to be is an exercise in frustration. I also generally do not wear lip liner. I feel it does nothing to enhance the overall look or to assist with the longevity. I also do not use any brow products. I tried with that for some time but I have already very dark and defined brows naturally. I use a spool brush to comb them down and call it a day.

For me it's liquid foundation.  I KNOW, I know.  I have 3 or 4 of them too, I just.. I dunno.  They always feel so heavy on my face and I don't need that much coverage, so a BB cream always works pretty well for me.  (I mean it has to be a high quality BB cream, c'mon now)  I was a tinted moisturizer gal before BB creams came along.  Powder dries my skin out too much and liquid just moves a lot.  Combination skin + foundation is a no go for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Definitely another vote here for BB Cream. For some reason it just looks like crap on my skin, and I really need more coverage then that.

Also, lip liner (I typically do not wear lipstick or any dark colors on my lips, so that may be why I just don't know how to use this correctly).

I think it's crazy that some people do not like foundation primer! My makeup totally melts off my face if I don't apply primer beforehand. Maybe it's the Texas heat? 

Back