What makeup product do you REFUSE to get on-board with?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its funny how different everybody's preferences are. I absolutely love shadow pencils and very rarely use powder shadows any more.

Add me to those that isn't a fan of foundation primers. Every single one I've tried has made my oily skin feel worse and my foundation feels like it is sliding right off my face. I've never used false lashes and I can't imagine using a dry shampoo over just washing my hair - but I have stick straight hair and an oily scalp that needs a daily washing. Another thing I've never done is put mascara on my bottom lashes. It does not appeal to me at all. Every time I think about trying it, I can see Tammy Faye Baker looking back at me in the mirror and I put the mascara away. I do use it on my top lashes, but not the bottom. I'm also afraid I'll end up with raccoon eyes within an hour or two.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I just tried the Eyeko eyeshadow pencil and it creases horribly, and I can't imagine using that regularly on my eyes. It drags something awful and I'm pretty sure my eyelinds would start to get saggy and crepey from continued use.
The Eyeko one is just HORRIBLE.  Try the UD 24/7 shadow pencils.  I have very oily lids and love these.  I put them in my makeup bag for when I need a painted face in a hurry.  

My never again or never will list

BB cream - I've tried a ton from different brands and shades and none of them look natural or feels right to me.

Bronzer - I just feel dirty

Highlighter - I don't need anymore 'shine' in my face lol

Non-waterproof mascara - just nooooo...

Any tanning products because they just make me orange and I'm already fairly tan.  

Heavy facial creams - I have very oily skin so I don't even go near those

Eye creams - I get milia very very easily, if I use an eye cream I usually get a white bump the next day....

Any facial oils (not cleansing oils) - again with the oily skin

Acrylic nails - My mom used to work as a manicurist and she used to tell me horror stories of women who had them done regularly so I'm never touching that stuff.

Facial waxing - just not worth it for me since my hair grows back way too fast.  I'd have to get it done every 2-3 days if I waxed.

Makeup tattoos... My mom got her eyeliner tattooed and she looked like she was beaten for over a week.  It's faded to a blue now and I just don't like it.  I should ask her if she regrets it.  I'm not a big fan of tattoos on me so

1) Self tanner. Super pale. I'm sure it would look weird.

2) False eyelashes. They look scary on me. I'm not sure why when once applied because of my eye shape the lashes point straight up. Not cute!

3) Foundation brushes. I have never been able to apply foundation with a brush that wasn't streaky or patchy. Despite this I keep buying and trying foundation brushes! 

I've got a long list...

Primer, of any sort. I just can't be bothered. My foundation stays where it should, and I don't really mind if my eyeshadow fades, because sometimes it looks even prettier when it does.

BB/CC/DD creams, as I can never find one for my preference, (I like to use SPF 50 in the summer, I have oily skin and I like the moisturiser I use and I have pale skin, so I just apply my suncream, moisturise and foundation in layers. In the winter the foundation I use has SPF 15 anyway, so I don't need to use suncream.)

Contouring/bronzer/highlighter/blusher...er, no. Sometimes I use a bit of fine white shimmer when I'm in the mood to be Arwen, but that's pretty rare. The same with self-tanner, I'm pale and I like it that way. Though in the summer my skin takes on a naturally golden hue, but I'm fine with that, it's natural. Blusher does not work for me, I can never get it to look right so I don't bother. 

Liquid eyeliner I can never use, I like pencils and I can just about use gel eyeliner but liquid is way too messy for me. 

Brow products, don't need them, in the same way I don't pluck my eyebrows, because my eyebrows are just fine the way they are. 

Never used false eyelashes, don't want to. My eyelashes just need a flick of mascara and they're good to go. 

Lip liner for lining lips, I sometimes use it as lipstick and pop lipbalm on top, but I can't do a nice neat line. 

Dry shampoo, just no. I've I can't be bothered to wash my hair properly I mix some shampoo with water and use that to rinse it through my hair.

Hair styling products of any kind, I don't do anything to my hair, but that's because I like it long and don't want to damage it. 

I think that's everything. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Foundation/BB/CC/Any double constanent cream. I cannot stand them! I really don't get how others wear foundation.

Everything about it drives me nuts. They eat it feels, the way it looks, the fact I'm too pale for most, just nope. I skip it.

I do wear MAC studio fix plus powder, but I still think it's too much sometimes. It's too heavy.

-fake lashes. Actually I would like to wear these for some over the top occasion but I just can't put the damn things on . Same like curling my hair with a straightener .

-face primers

-eye shadow primers

-self tanner

-cream eye shadow or blush 

-putting foundation on with a brush . I personally think it is just so unpractical. You waste a lot of product and have to wash your brush  and it also takes longer. Might be useful for concealer but I also put that on with my fingers 

-contouring kits  :rolleyes:  . I just think this whole contouring madness is a rather silly fad . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Self Tanner - I'm not feeling the Oompa Loompa look. I'm pale and I like it that way. 

False Lashes - For everyday? Nope. But I did wear them on my wedding day and they looked very pretty.

Lip Liners - Too much of a hassle.

Wow, I thought I'd already replied to this, but I can't find my post, so here goes:

1. Face primers- feel horrible and break me out awfully

2. Lip primers- I don't feel that they payoff is high enough for the uncomfortable feeling

3. Lip gloss- Just hate sticky goop on my lips

4. Bronzer- I just don't think it's for me. A more neutral-toned contour, perhaps, for my hairline, cheekbones.

5. Liquid liner- I've tried to love liquid liners, but I just can't get on board. I feel them all wet and gross, and they look too harsh. Pencil or powder for my eyes.

6. Gel liner- Just... don't know about this- feels like the liquid liner but more work. Not for me.

3 months ago I'd say eyelash curlers, but I've finally discovered one that fits my eye shape and love it! It's the Tweezerman rose gold one from Sephora.

I absolutely abhor self-tanners. I used to use tanning towels but then realized how pointless they are since the tan is gone in a matter of days, sometimes hours!

I won't use: self-tanner, bronzer, or fake eyelashes.  I also tend to wash my hair every day, so the stash of dry shampoo I've collected from sub boxes is sitting unused.  I just can't imagine not using real shampoo after working out and getting all sweaty.  Oh, and I hate natural deodorant.  It doesn't work on me at all.  And I won't use face oils.  I tried a Tatcha oil cleanser and found it really effective but I had the worst breakout of all time after about 2 weeks of using it.  (However, hair oils work wonders for me.)

I'm not big on eyeliner pencils but I hesitate to say I won't get on board with them.  I periodically try different ones but most of the time, they end up migrating up my eyelid, or else they're so hard I feel like I'm going to poke my eye out applying them.  I love liquid eyeliners because they stay put on me.  I'm also not big on "all in one" style lip/cheek/eyelid colors.  Some of them work for my cheeks, some for my lips, but never all three places.  And I think it's kind of unsanitary to use the same product on both lips and eyes.

On the other hand, I have been using liquid foundation for 20 years and don't see myself stopping that.  I started using primers this year and they really help me (especially one I got from Paula's Choice in the December Blush Mystery bag).  And I do occasionally use lip liners, especially with bold shades of lipstick.  Though I've never bought a lip liner, I just use ones that I got in sub boxes.  I'm happy with both cream and powder blushes; I'm pale and you can see both on me all day.

I'm with everyone on the foundation primer! I hate that slick oily silicone feeling. I also cannot get into the lip crayons/chubby sticks/whatever. They feel like a lip balm but fade so fast and have such sheer coverage, it just feels like too much work. Plus the balm-like formulas seem to accentuate lines on my lips. Not a fan

I'm with everyone on the foundation primer! I hate that slick oily silicone feeling. I also cannot get into the lip crayons/chubby sticks/whatever. They feel like a lip balm but fade so fast and have such sheer coverage, it just feels like too much work. Plus the balm-like formulas seem to accentuate lines on my lips. Not a fan
I thought I was the only one who was really not into those chubby lip crayons. Eugh, especially with all that fake peppermint everyone is always adding. So not good for your lips!

those who refuse to try eye shadow sticks, you have got to try laura mercier caviar sticks before hating them. if you can't get those to work, then and only then should you not try anything else.

those are AH-MAZING.  i just discovered them and they blend like a dream and don't crease even without primer. i've never had shadows not crease without primer before... cream or powder.  they set somewhat quickly so blending needs to be done before it sets - once it sets it just doesn't budge (unless you work hard to rub it off or something). i've seen the counter girl use it with a thin liner brush as a gel liner too.

i also use the make up forever and UD ones, but they do not compare to the blendability of LM.

also, ITA about makeup tattoos, mainly eyeliner.  i am ambivalent about eyebrows (if it's done right - there are some semi-permanent ways of doing eyebrows that doesn't look as fake) but no way in hell am i letting anyone near my eyes for vanity. i'll gladly line my eyes every day to prevent a needle near my eyes... i can be lazy but i'm not THAT lazy.

Gel liner. Exactly like someone above said, just seems like more work. it doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll stick to my liquid liners thank you very much. 

Those green/ yellow concealers supposedly to neutralize opposite colors...tried them, it just looks green. What a silly idea. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a makeup product... But I haven't really gotten into dry shampoo. Maybe because the one I tried left a whitish-grey residue on my scalp.

Strangely enough, liquid foundation. I tried so many. it was hard for me to get a good match for my dark skintone, I tried a few different brands but couldn't get used to the feel on my face, and I would get breakouts too which didn;t make me feel good at all.

and also BB creams. urgh! no thanks

Back