What makeup product do you REFUSE to get on-board with?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can'tget myself to use cheekstains (Benefit posietint etc) and other lip/cheek stains, they just seems scary too me  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
I'm really bad at using lip liners too, they're soo much work..

I just can't get into any kind of brow product.  Its just not as fun and pretty as other makeup... and it seems so scary!!  So I just refuse and stick to the natural brow look :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I always tell myself that I should just be happy with how they are naturally now because once I get older and they potentially start thinning I'll pay my dues filling them back in with something haha.

I just can't get into any kind of brow product.  Its just not as fun and pretty as other makeup... and it seems so scary!!  So I just refuse and stick to the natural brow look :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I always tell myself that I should just be happy with how they are naturally now because once I get older and they potentially start thinning I'll pay my dues filling them back in with something haha.
You should just try it one day when you're not going out anywhere! That way in case you don't like it it's not like you're going out or anything.

Ditto to cheekstains, false lashes, eyelash curlers, and dry shampoo. 

But I really, really, wish I could master false lashes. So pretty.... so so pretty. 

I think some of you are confusing "refuse to get on board with" for "tried it but can't get the hang of it or haven't found one that works for me". 

Going with the original meaning of this thread, there's not really much that I refuse. Maybe jeweled false lashes. But I love "normal" falsies - they add SO MUCH to your look.

Oh, also ombre lips. I don't like them, and don't see that ever changing. They just look funny to me.

Liquid eyeliner, I like using eyeliner to make my lashline look fuller. The liquid eyeliner always always always just looks like there's a line painted on your eyelid. 

Lip gloss, I don't know why, I've just never seen the appeal.

Mascara, lashes always end up looking clumpy to some degree. I like soft looking lashes. If I could find something to color my lashes and do only that, not get them wet and make them stick together, or anything, maybe I'll go for it. Otherwise, no.

Self tanning lotions, ew. I'm extremely white and although a tan can look good, it has to be a real tan, and even then, don't go overboard with it.

I think some of you are confusing "refuse to get on board with" for "tried it but can't get the hang of it or haven't found one that works for me". 

Going with the original meaning of this thread, there's not really much that I refuse. Maybe jeweled false lashes. But I love "normal" falsies - they add SO MUCH to your look.

Oh, also ombre lips. I don't like them, and don't see that ever changing. They just look funny to me.
Good point; my original list had a list of both items I refused to get on board with and items I tried and didn't like so refuse to use again. 

Since a lot has actually changed for me in the 9 months since I initially posted (and I'm more experimental) here's my new list!

1. Those little jewels people are placing on their eyes as super-sparkly eye liner. I just saw this in an article. WTH? It looks painful and dangerous.

2. Lining my waterline. I just don't need a reason to accidentally draw on my eyeball. 

3. Face oils (still). I have read more on the logic and it does make sense but it still squicks me out and I imagine instant acne.

4. Acrylic nails or gel manicures. This isn't specifically makeup but I've seen photos of what those do to your nails after removal! 

Shadow sticks- I have owned a ton, tried to use them in hopes I would enjoy them but they don't bend well and they are so chunky you can't really do any crease or detail with them. 

BB Cream- This is just a glorified tinted moisturizer, at least the CC creams have a little more coverage.

False Eyelashes- They look so nice, but thus far they are not for me. 

I'm definitely in the 'no frackin' way' category for:

1) Anything which claims it's a 'universal' shade. Utter horseflop. No such animal. 

2) The whole ombre lip thing. To me, it always looks like you applied lipstick right before eating a glazed donut. Not attractive.

3) Cat-eye liner: I know, I know, it's heretical, but honestly, I find it both too much of a pain in the butt to do right, and unattractive on me. 

4) Self-tanner: As a reasonably fair-skinned gal with freckles, I can only imagine how fake this would look on me. Not only that, but it seems like a major pain in the ass. I embrace my 'sometimes a little darker than vanilla pudding' complexion. 

5) Permanent makeup tattoos: No. Just no. For one thing, I don't want a needle anywhere near my damn eyes. For another, the risk of infection is pretty insane. And just imagine if you got a liner tattoo and then that style became passe. Now what?

6) Studs and other gem style items on nails: This just looks to me like an eye injury looking for an excuse to happen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I also don't self-tan or bronze and ABCDcreams just seem pointless to me..

But my main ones would have to be face primer and face highlighters. I know how many people think that a face primer is necessary but it just makes my face feel icky..I have tried several different ones and haven't liked any of them. Also, they seem to make my foundation slide off and smear a lot easier than when I don't use one.

Highlighters-- I am way too pale and they just end up making me look like a disco ball.

Will not get on board with heavy contouring. I'll use a bit of highlight, etc but the extreme stuff just seems silly, for the average, everyday person, not a celebrity for a photo shoot or something.

Will not get on board with heavy contouring. I'll use a bit of highlight, etc but the extreme stuff just seems silly, for the average, everyday person, not a celebrity for a photo shoot or something.
YES SO MUCH THIS. I go to school with a girl who does heavy contouring as her daily makeup routine. People LOVE it and are always raving about her makeup. I agree its flattering but there's something unnatural looking about it.

I'm definitely in the 'no frackin' way' category for:

1) Anything which claims it's a 'universal' shade. Utter horseflop. No such animal. 

2) The whole ombre lip thing. To me, it always looks like you applied lipstick right before eating a glazed donut. Not attractive.

3) Cat-eye liner: I know, I know, it's heretical, but honestly, I find it both too much of a pain in the butt to do right, and unattractive on me. 

4) Self-tanner: As a reasonably fair-skinned gal with freckles, I can only imagine how fake this would look on me. Not only that, but it seems like a major pain in the ass. I embrace my 'sometimes a little darker than vanilla pudding' complexion. 

5) Permanent makeup tattoos: No. Just no. For one thing, I don't want a needle anywhere near my damn eyes. For another, the risk of infection is pretty insane. And just imagine if you got a liner tattoo and then that style became passe. Now what?

6) Studs and other gem style items on nails: This just looks to me like an eye injury looking for an excuse to happen. 
I'm completely forgot that people do permanent makeup tattoos!! I always found that mind boggling, particularly people who do shadow colors. I find my makeup today is different than it was 5 years ago and I hope it keeps on changing. 

Agreed on the makeup tattoos! My makeup is different every single day, how the hell can you live with one makeup look forever? And as a person who has several tattoos, as the tattoos age, the lines blur and soften a bit, I'd be worried that it'd look bad after a while. Plus, needles on my face? No.

Those eyeshadow crayon/sticks or whatever... I mean I LOVE lipstick/balm crayons, but for eyeshadow it just seems odd. I like my powder and brushes.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I just tried the Eyeko eyeshadow pencil and it creases horribly, and I can't imagine using that regularly on my eyes. It drags something awful and I'm pretty sure my eyelinds would start to get saggy and crepey from continued use.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I just tried the Eyeko eyeshadow pencil and it creases horribly, and I can't imagine using that regularly on my eyes. It drags something awful and I'm pretty sure my eyelinds would start to get saggy and crepey from continued use.
I have a couple that I use either underneath shadows once in a while, or under my lower lash line for some color. As actual eyeshadow? No way.

Back