What makeup product do you REFUSE to get on-board with?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's amusing how we have foundation vs BB cream camps here. I'm still somewhat inexperienced with makeup and foundation feels like it approaches expert level. (I agree with whoever made the comment that non-Asian BB creams are basically tinted moisturizers; but that's usually sufficient for me.) That's why I'm remaining open to the idea that I might use foundation in the future. My makeup expertise might increase and then I'd be happy to experiment.

When I was trying the Missha BB cream I was very impressed at the coverage and ease of use although the shade made my skin look sallow so I couldn't really use. (This was years ago when I received a full size in a Glossybox thus the match was a little off.) A better matched Asian BB cream may be my gateway into foundation.

I used all sorts of  foundation types for years.  I discovered a matte tinted moisturizer by jouer a couple of years back and I think it provides the coverage I need at this moment in my life.  I really do not care for BB creams (or CC or DD.. - I have tried the Korean ones and I still wasn't impressed by them).  I have very oily skin and I need a matte finish, which jouer gives me - it doesn't cake, it doesn't wear off quickly, I do not feel it is sliding down my face in extreme heat. 

I guess it is whatever works for you as an individual....

I used all sorts of  foundation types for years.  I discovered a matte tinted moisturizer by jouer a couple of years back and I think it provides the coverage I need at this moment in my life.  I really do not care for BB creams (or CC or DD.. - I have tried the Korean ones and I still wasn't impressed by them).  I have very oily skin and I need a matte finish, which jouer gives me - it doesn't cake, it doesn't wear off quickly, I do not feel it is sliding down my face in extreme heat. 

I guess it is whatever works for you as an individual....
Agreed; it's definitely personal preference.

Definitely another vote here for BB Cream. For some reason it just looks like crap on my skin, and I really need more coverage then that.

Also, lip liner (I typically do not wear lipstick or any dark colors on my lips, so that may be why I just don't know how to use this correctly).

I think it's crazy that some people do not like foundation primer! My makeup totally melts off my face if I don't apply primer beforehand. Maybe it's the Texas heat? 
I don't know - I live in an area where it probably doesn't get as hot as Texas, but we do get up into the 90's and it is miserable - very humid heat.

I still do not use a foundation primer.  It will clog up my pores and then I will break out!   I wear a tinted moisturizer, so maybe that is why it doesn't slide off - not as heavy?  I use powder blushes on really hot humid days and I do wear an eyeshadow primer....

if my makeup wears off, it is the normal wear of several hours later...

I think it's amusing how we have foundation vs BB cream camps here. I'm still somewhat inexperienced with makeup and foundation feels like it approaches expert level. (I agree with whoever made the comment that non-Asian BB creams are basically tinted moisturizers; but that's usually sufficient for me.) That's why I'm remaining open to the idea that I might use foundation in the future. My makeup expertise might increase and then I'd be happy to experiment.

When I was trying the Missha BB cream I was very impressed at the coverage and ease of use although the shade made my skin look sallow so I couldn't really use. (This was years ago when I received a full size in a Glossybox thus the match was a little off.) A better matched Asian BB cream may be my gateway into foundation.
I wear foundation most days, but I like tinted moisturizer on days when I don't see the need for the whole routine.  I like the texture and coverage of the Korean BB creams I've tried, but I have had a hard time finding a shade that's light and yellow enough -- most of them seem to run slightly pink in tone and medium in lightness,  where I need "medium yellow" and "light."

I am in the 'don't get non-Asian BB creams' camp.  They aren't BB creams!  Asian complexion products are my jam though.  I'm very pale (if you don't count the red angry splotches that need full coverage) and very dry.  

I also can't get into tints/stains like Benetint and Stainiac.  They are blotchy on my cheeks and patchy on my lips.  I think that has a lot to do with my dryness again.

I know these are tools and not 'products' but I also won't curl my eyelashes or use a cleansing brush like a Clairsonic.  I swear when I curl my eyelashes they disappear, and I can barely use a soft muslin cloth on my face without it feeling like I'm tearing my skin off.  Again, I just think my skin is fragile, and that's why the Asian creams full of oil and silicone do so well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really like "stains." Cream blushes are kind of okay for me, but I can't make a cheek stain look anywhere near as good as a powder blush.

When it comes to lashes I like them for special occasions/nights out/when I do a dramatic eye look. And I LOVE self tanner! But I have yellow undertones so I guess that's why I have better luck with not turning orange.

Super dark eyeshadows...I look like I am trying to be goth which is really not my plan. i rather use a nice winged black eyeliner. Also, shaved off eyebrows to be drawn on like a marker. this might work for some girls but I just learned how to properly shape my eyebrows a month or so ago and since then am even more so paying attention to everyone's brows. Oh yeah and lip liker. i use it as a base for red lipstick but not actually to line lips, not happening.

ooooh also not in my beauty inventory: Any out of the ordinary lip colors (lavender, green blue and so on) as well as neon nail polish (orange, green, yellow). Might look good on others but isn't happening at my house.

I am in the 'don't get non-Asian BB creams' camp.  They aren't BB creams!  Asian complexion products are my jam though.  I'm very pale (if you don't count the red angry splotches that need full coverage) and very dry.  

I also can't get into tints/stains like Benetint and Stainiac.  They are blotchy on my cheeks and patchy on my lips.  I think that has a lot to do with my dryness again.

I know these are tools and not 'products' but I also won't curl my eyelashes or use a cleansing brush like a Clairsonic.  I swear when I curl my eyelashes they disappear, and I can barely use a soft muslin cloth on my face without it feeling like I'm tearing my skin off.  Again, I just think my skin is fragile, and that's why the Asian creams full of oil and silicone do so well for me.
I feel ya on the tools.  I bought an eyelash curler over a year ago and I think the most I used it was to actually take it out of the packaging :/  Just not in it for me.  I tried the Liz Earle muslin cloth thing and that was okay, but I'm totally more of a "put it on your face, wash it off" person.  I got a sample of Ultra Bland from Lush about a week ago, and I just can't bring myself to use it.  So much work to take my makeup off, when I just can use a wipe and a scrub.  But I think I have the same problem with face masks.  I love them in theory (tell it to the stack that sits in my fridge from Lush) but having time to actually use them?  A little more work than I bargained for.

Lip tars. They just seem like a lot of trouble. I rather just slap on some lipstick or gloss & be done.

the obnoxious highlight/contour where you have to use 5 different products in different shades and the under eye area is lighter than anything else on your face..... it looks plain awful for your under eye area to be THAT much lighter (a little is okay, but most people I've seen go too far).

and ironically, I love BB creams! I always always have breakouts on my chin, no matter what I try. I starte using a BB cream (a cheap brand too), and my face has completely cleared up when I should be in my prime break out time (PMS time lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
BB creams also! I don't really see the point. There is no point in using half hearted coverage.

I also hate dry shampoo. I have just never used one and don't see the appeal although a lot of my friends use them  :rolleyes:

Curling/crimping/straightening irons. I know they're hair products, but my hair is too thick to style and I dye it a looooot. It's not worth it, I damage my hair enough.

I see how much my sister spends on heat protectants and leave-in conditioners, not to mention expensive wands and irons ... dang. I use leave-in rollers when I want curls.

That being said ... her hair always does look beyond amazing.

Silicone based products on the face. Just a preference, since I have oily skin. On the eyes is fine for silicone based primers.

As for the BB cream hype, I have no say. I haven't tried it.

Benefit tints. I don't know why. I never tried it. I always love a multinational tool, but I think what it is I was never a fan of tints when I was young.

Also the Kat Von D line just never interested me.

Highlighter of any kind. I tend to get shiny anyway, and to make my skin matte enough to warrant highlighter I feel like I have to put on way too much foundation & powder--enough so that my real skin texture doesn't even show anymore. Anyway, I love the idea of it, but it doesn't work for my skin no matter which ones I try. And I've tried a LOT.

Those so called "Lip Plumping" gloss products that have that awful, tingly sensation. I got a really great lip color from Buxom as a sample from Sephora but I had to wipe it off because it was so uncomfortable. 

Back