What new subs have you learned about ? Inquiring minds want to know!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by JenniferV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, there is a new box launching in a few months called "Knit Crate". They are going to send out projects monthly or bi-monthly (you can pick) based on your skill level.

http://www.knitcrate.com
I'm really curious about this.  I'm an advanced knitter and am looking at that Indie Box.  I want to see what you actually get, in terms of quantity, fiber, and quality.  Handspun/handdyed yarn is on the expensive side but $70 is still an awful lot.  I do a lot of lace, and a full-sized shawl (something like this http://ravel.me/meggpi/wn5s8) done in a silk blend costs me between $15-40, for reference.  I've made merino sweaters for ~$40.

ChicPeek.com

It's a new jewelry subscription that costs $30/month.

I had a $10 off promo code from their grand opening so I ended up ordering one piece just to see how I like it.

I got this sterling silver necklace with real diamond accents, I think for 20 bucks it's a steal!

2012.10.24.product.jewelry.chicpeek.box-349_A.jpg

I find I'm getting more and more addicted to subscription boxes.  I like anything where I get to be surprised with samples.  (So thankfully I'm not into the more expensive ones where you choose things like LBB.)  I love the beauty & makeup ones, but I've recently discovered that I'm interested in food ones too!  Just subscribed to Love with Food and waiting for a Goodies Co invite...but I'm kinda cheap, so I have a problem justifying anything over $12/month....except for my husband's BB Man, which he THINKS I pay $10 per month for, but it's actually $20.  It makes him happy, and I know that he'd make me cancel it if he knew that I'm paying $20/month.  He usually hates the lifestyle products, anyway...so not sure that it's actually worth the cost for him..

Anyone know of any other "beauty" sample subscriptions for men?

Originally Posted by Deenellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here are a few.  Dollar shave is the cheapest.

Dollar Shave club (razors) http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/, Mantry: Men's lifstyle food box  https://mantry.com/holiday/, Urban Cargo Mens' box, Men's grooming box: http://urbancargo.com/., Curator & Mule, Men's accessory box, http://www.curatorandmule.com/.

Let us know what you think.
Oooh!  Urban Cargo sounds pretty good!  And at $44 for 3 months, it's cheaper than BB Man.

Has anyone tried Urban Cargo???

Originally Posted by CherBear711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oooh!  Urban Cargo sounds pretty good!  And at $44 for 3 months, it's cheaper than BB Man.

Has anyone tried Urban Cargo???
I (well, my boyfriend) tried Urban Cargo for 4 boxes and also had BBM at the same time.  I told him that at the end of 3 months, he had to pick one and he chose BBM (I forgot until we were 4 months in, thus the 4 boxes).  Urban Cargo was cheaper (though that didn't matter much to him since I was buying), but the Lifestyle items from BBM really made those boxes more "standout".  

That said, my bf is very very low-maintenance.  He uses no products other than basic drugstore brands (shampoo, hair gel, soap, etc).  However, he grows facial hair like a lumberjack and always has a 5 o'clock shadow by noon -- thus, shaving items do interest him.  Urban Cargo was great because in the four months, two of the boxes were shaving-themed. However, the other two boxes were essentially useless for him.  He has no use for eye creams (no matter how pricey) and refuses to use them.  A man can only have so many exfoliating products, and after one box he had hit his limit.  The boxes were good, the samples were much better packaged (individually--not the box they come in) than BBM, but at the end of the day, he'd rather have a box with whiskey stones and a jigger (or the Me Undies boxer briefs -- he adores those) than eye cream and exfoliater.

I think it's a personal preference -- I'd recommend both services completely.

Okay so I received my sterling silver + diamond necklace from Chic Peek box and I love the quality! Also the picture of the free bracelet everyone received as part of their grand opening.

I have more pics and a brief review in my blog if anyone is interested :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by MissMonica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I (well, my boyfriend) tried Urban Cargo for 4 boxes and also had BBM at the same time.  I told him that at the end of 3 months, he had to pick one and he chose BBM (I forgot until we were 4 months in, thus the 4 boxes).  Urban Cargo was cheaper (though that didn't matter much to him since I was buying), but the Lifestyle items from BBM really made those boxes more "standout".  

That said, my bf is very very low-maintenance.  He uses no products other than basic drugstore brands (shampoo, hair gel, soap, etc).  However, he grows facial hair like a lumberjack and always has a 5 o'clock shadow by noon -- thus, shaving items do interest him.  Urban Cargo was great because in the four months, two of the boxes were shaving-themed. However, the other two boxes were essentially useless for him.  He has no use for eye creams (no matter how pricey) and refuses to use them.  A man can only have so many exfoliating products, and after one box he had hit his limit.  The boxes were good, the samples were much better packaged (individually--not the box they come in) than BBM, but at the end of the day, he'd rather have a box with whiskey stones and a jigger (or the Me Undies boxer briefs -- he adores those) than eye cream and exfoliater.

I think it's a personal preference -- I'd recommend both services completely.
MissMonica, that information is SO helpful!!  My husband is almost the opposite.  He generally uses drugstore brand products, but LOVES trying all the fancy-schmancy stuff.  I think he loves the fact that there ARE eye creams for men that come in manly packaging.  He got his BBM last night and before opening it, commented, "I hope there are more samples and not any of that BS like last time."  The BS he referred to was the lifestyle product.  He's so picky that it's hard to find lifestyle products that he actually likes.  Though I'm impressed that BB has been as successful as it has.  Out of the last 6 months or so, he liked the bright socks, the boxers, and thankfully the tie that was in last night's box.  He didn't hate the tee, but wasn't overly thrilled with it, and wasn't really that amused with the watch either.  But just as frequently, he gets something...like the "quirky" tech gadgets, or the whiskey stones (he doesn't drink), and complains that I always get better boxes with more products than he does.  And he thought the wool wallet was a joke.  He said last month that he wanted me to cancel because he's sick of all the lifestyle items they send, but I wanted him to stick it out and see what they did this month.  I'm relieved that he's happy for now, but it's soooo good to know that there's another service out there that sounds like a really good alternative for him.  I'll mention it and see if he wants to switch.

Here's another new one!! 

My Cotton Bunny: http://mycottonbunny.com  is a new subscription service for women that sends you feminine hygiene products plus a few extra treats every month for $13.75.  Hmmmmm Sounds intriguing!  I don't think I need this box every month.  I can barely keep up with the hair and beauty products, never mind feminine  products.

I may try it for one month just to check it out!  Inquiring minds want to know!  What do you think of women's subscription service like this? Will you sign up?

I put together a list of all the subscription boxes I could find out there and then came here and realized I missed some!  Back to work!  You ladies are good!

I recently got my first box of booze from http://www.julibox.com/. They were a little slow getting it out because they had Sandy-related delivery issues with one of their suppliers, but they were good about communicating that. (It was still a little irksome to be charged for the second box before the first one had arrived, but what are you going to do.) I made one of the cocktails last night and was really pleased with it. I'm not as excited about trying the second one because it has ginger beer in it and I can't stand beer, but we'll see. In any case, they did a really good job with the packaging and presentation and I'm looking forward to seeing what's in the next box.

Here's another sub for that special time of the month.  Man when it rains it pours!!  It's called Juniper Box, a smarter way to manage your period.   It's a new monthly subscription for women that sends you pads and tampons once a month plus lots of delicious treats, $28 a cycle( a month.)

Your choice of brand for tampons and pads, plus snacks and treats.  Similar to My Cotton Bunny, except this is pricier.

They appear to be alot more generous though and I would hope so with that price.  I'd like to buy a box just to check it out, but I definitely won't sub.

The November box included: Pukka Teas in Three flavors: Ginger, Night Time & Love.  Beekind Honey sticks in Pumpkin, Vanilla Chai and Wildflower, Torn Ranch brand Dried Cranberries and also Mashuga Nuts ?  Marich Triple Chocolate Toffee and Nicobella Pumpkin Chai Truffles and Bare Fruit Fuji Apple Chips.   

The box also includes tampons and pads.  You get to select your preferred brand of tampons  (Tampax, Tampax Pearl, U by Kotex, O.B. and Playtex.

If you decide to sub, http://www.getjuniper.com; Let us know what you think.

Yeah, that does sound tempting, but quite pricey! So for the chocolate it's around $45/month for around 5 chocolates? hm... Does look quite interesting though! I've never heard of New York Mouth before.

Originally Posted by BeautyGal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, that does sound tempting, but quite pricey! So for the chocolate it's around $45/month for around 5 chocolates? hm... Does look quite interesting though! I've never heard of New York Mouth before.
I saw it on Cool Mom Picks today in their 10 top subscription boxes to gift.  I'd never heard of it before either.

Originally Posted by Schmootc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recently got my first box of booze from http://www.julibox.com/. They were a little slow getting it out because they had Sandy-related delivery issues with one of their suppliers, but they were good about communicating that. (It was still a little irksome to be charged for the second box before the first one had arrived, but what are you going to do.) I made one of the cocktails last night and was really pleased with it. I'm not as excited about trying the second one because it has ginger beer in it and I can't stand beer, but we'll see. In any case, they did a really good job with the packaging and presentation and I'm looking forward to seeing what's in the next box.
I wanted to try Julibox so bad. I probably will at some point when I need a treat. And you should try the other drink. Ginger beer is not a beer, it's a soda similar to ginger ale.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by fate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wanted to try Julibox so bad. I probably will at some point when I need a treat. And you should try the other drink. Ginger beer is not a beer, it's a soda similar to ginger ale.
smile.gif
Go figure, I had no idea about the ginger beer! Knowing that, I'm thinking the second one might actually be pretty tasty as well. I'm planning to try it on Saturday, will report back. I'll also take a few pictures of my next box and post them.

Originally Posted by Schmootc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Go figure, I had no idea about the ginger beer! Knowing that, I'm thinking the second one might actually be pretty tasty as well. I'm planning to try it on Saturday, will report back. I'll also take a few pictures of my next box and post them.
I love watching the little youtube tutorials they do. Ginger beer is delicious in cocktails so I'm sure it'll be amazing!

Originally Posted by Deenellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's another new one!! 

My Cotton Bunny: http://mycottonbunny.com  is a new subscription service for women that sends you feminine hygiene products plus a few extra treats every month for $13.75.  Hmmmmm Sounds intriguing!  I don't think I need this box every month.  I can barely keep up with the hair and beauty products, never mind feminine  products.

I may try it for one month just to check it out!  Inquiring minds want to know!  What do you think of women's subscription service like this? Will you sign up?
Tried it, not impressed, cancelled! The only thing worth the money I spent was the American Apparel tank top; nice but that wasn't what I was buying this for.  The tampons were a (18) count mini box that you can buy cheaply in the sample section at Target or CVS.  The chocolate (dark) was a joke, a chocolate square, although the flavor was interesting; lavender-blueberry flavored.  Feel ripped off, not pleased.  
icon_frown.gif
    So... it's over.

Latest posts

Back