Which Subs are on your Chopping Block?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NewBeauty TestTube

QVC TT

BirchBox x2

Julep

MyGlam

I cancelled my NBTT for the QVC version on AD. I really like that you can see what you are getting before it ships and skip the month if you want. 

I keep skipping Julep. Got my penny shipment and that was it...the bottles of polish are half the size of regular polish so I just treat myself to a special, store bought, color each month. MyGlam gets one more month. I only got the Feb/March bags and they were horrid. If April makes me sad too, it is gone. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Surprisingly it was Beauty Army that did! lol I sat here last night after realizing the products I choose were not being sent to me. It really didn't bug me too much until late last night when I went through to take the quiz over and over again to try and get items I want. The more I did the quiz the more pissed off I became. I then began to think "why am I paying $12 in stuff I really don't want?" which lead to the thought... "why am I putting up with spending my money on beauty boxes that offer me nothing in return other than junk?" The more I thought about The Look Bag's products that I got and Beauty Box 5 I realized if I didn't want to put up with the BS products Eco-Emi or GoGo Girlfriend sent why am I putting it up with those companies which lead me to MyGlam as well because I didn't tolerate junk from GGG (which is $12.99 a month) so why am I with MG, LB, BB5, etc? I know that my monthly subs really don't add up to more than $100 a month and it's the quarterly boxes at the end of this month which will cause to spend almost $200 but when I thought about how much money I put into these subscriptions and what I'm getting back in return - most of it which I NEVER use (specifically the one-time use samples) - the more pissed off I became at myself. So everything but Julep (I have over 13 free boxes earned) and Birchbox are on my chopping block with companies either going to be dropped today or by the end of the month and I won't get April. I'm giving myself some cool off time (least today only) to mull it over one last time.

What's the whole penny program your talking about? I'd love to try and do it.

I just did the 1 cent box and I don't think I'll be continuing it unless it's amazing or I get free boxes.

I have the actual referral link on my blog since the Terms of Service on MUT is clear - no referral or affiliate links allowed. HOWEVER you don't need to sign up for an account with Julep to use the promo code for the penny deal. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

MARCHINTRO

Your first box will be 1 penny and you can quit after that OR remain a member with them and simply skip any months you don't want to buy a box. Regular price for the subscription is $19.99 plus applicable tax (those in WA state the tax is based on Seattle tax of 9.5%).

The promo code is good ONLY for new customers.

I had GoGoGirlfriend but I cancelled them so I could try MyGlam. So far MG is better. I am trying to only do one subscription a month. I'll keep MG for a few more months and then maybe try BirchBox or if GlossyBox is in the US by then, I'll give them a go.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the actual referral link on my blog since the Terms of Service on MUT is clear - no referral or affiliate links allowed. HOWEVER you don't need to sign up for an account with Julep to use the promo code for the penny deal. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

MARCHINTRO

Your first box will be 1 penny and you can quit after that OR remain a member with them and simply skip any months you don't want to buy a box. Regular price for the subscription is $19.99 plus applicable tax (those in WA state the tax is based on Seattle tax of 9.5%).

The promo code is good ONLY for new customers.
If I put my referral link on my blog it doesn't show my info right? 

On your own blog? No. What the referral link will do is simply redirect the person to Julep where they sign up. No info - your name, address, email, etc - won't be shared with them but you will get one of two emails from Julep. For each referral you'll get an email with the subject

You Earned a Julep Maven Credit!
On each 2nd referral you'll get an email with the subject
You Earned a Free Month of Julep Maven!
I'm now up to 17 free months because while I dislike Julep's prices the penny deal is a great way to introduce people to the program. I ALWAYS tell people this box is a penny and each month it costs $19.99 and there maybe tax on the box depending on where that person lives. They can cancel at any time but have until the 25th of each month to decide to cancel, skip or get their next box because on the 27th Julep will charge them for that next box. I also tell them once they become a member to promote the penny deal on their blog or Facebook or Twitter because two people who sign up for the penny deal = 1 free month for the referrer.

I just cut:

Lookbag

BeautyBox5

Sample Society

MyGlam

1 of my 2 BeautyArmy

I still have:

Birchbox

Sindulge (my next month is free, so not cancelling yet)

EcoEmi

QVC Test Tube (quarterly)

BeauyArmy

Sindulge will probably go after next month.

Feb was my first Eco-Emi box, so still on the fence. I may drop my remaining BA sub if they continue to be heavy on skincare and skimpy on color. I have enough skincare now to supply a small country. Even though the value of the box is great, I have more than I can use at this time. If next month's choices are still 90% skin care, I'll drop it until I need more treatment.

Edit: I went ahead and cancelled Eco-Emi, too. Unfortunately not in time for the March box, so this will be the last.  I might even let BB go. Lately I'm just not getting things I like or use. If it's makeup, and it's something I would use, then the color is wrong. I have enough skincare, so I think it's time to part ways with BB, too.

What I'm sorriest about is that I'll miss the forums! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have:

Beauty Army

Beauty Fix

Birchbox

Sample Society

Cut:

Julep Maven(skipping monthly)

MyGlam

Going to get:

Glossybox

I have Birchbox .

I cancelled Beauty Army and Blissmobox yesterday.

That will save me almost $25 a month that I will probably just use to buy a full size item at Sephora.

I was getting a little tired of all the skincare products accumulating on my computer desk.

I have:

Birchbox

MyGlam

Sample Society

I haven't spent that much money on sample services, but honestly I realized I was barely using any of the products I ever received. If I don't like the next month of BB or MyGlam I'm cutting them for good--not that they're inherently bad, but if I'm not using anything it's not really worth it.

Right now I have 2 Birchboxes, Sindulge, TheLookBag, MyGlam, and Sample Society. I just canceled Beauty Army and Beauty Box 5 and have previously canceled My Platinum Box and GoGo Girlfriend but still waiting on the My Platinum Box, GoGoGF (Which I think i'll never see!) and April's BB5 since they already charged me before I could cancel.

Originally Posted by pinktergal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I'm sorriest about is that I'll miss the forums! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

STAY with the forums! Even if you aren't gettin' anything, you can still chit chat with those of us who do, plus maybe someone will have something you'll wanna trade, ya know?

Well, I've now successfully cut Love With Food, The Look Bag, Sample Society (it pained me to do that one already), and Beauty Box 5 this month (and previously I'd gotten rid of MyGlam and Platinum Box).

So, now I am only signed up for Birchbox and I just signed up for Conscious Box. I plan to try at least a month or two of that, and I hope it's worth it.  I also decided (probably unwisely) to give Sindulge one more chance after they emailed me and tried to make it right...though I will probably cancel after the free month.

Cancelled:

Eco-Emi (cancelled in October 2011)

GoGo Girlfriend (cancelled in October 2011)

The Look Bag (cancelled in March 2012)

Beauty Box (cancelled in March 2012)

Hi,

I have Birchbox, Sample Society, Beauty Fix and New Beauty Test Tube but I am going to cancel the Look Bag and Julep.

I canceled Beauty Army today because I was not happy with my choices and I kept trying to take the quiz over and over again.

The only reason I am keeping BB, SS and BF is because of the points/coupons you get from them. I was able to use my Beauty Fix $25.00 card to buy cologne for my hubby(paid 32.00 plus free shipping) and I just used the Sample Society promo code to buy some makeup(saved 30.00 because you can use more than 1 promo codes for an order).

Sub'd to:  

BB (Got my first box in March '12.  Loved the items except for the perfume.  Esp. loved the nail polish color :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />).

Beautyfix (Just sub'd.  Like my selection and looking forward to trying them out.)

Belissimobox (Loved my first box - got the eco cleaning products. Worth the money. Looking forward to next box.)

Beauty Army (Just got my first box - loving being able to choose and love the products I am getting.)

Green Grab Bag (Just sub'.d, have not received my box yet.)

Conscious Box (Just sub'd, have not received my box yet.)

Cut:

Foodzie (Didn't get what I ordered and expensive.)

Right now I have Birchbox, Beauty Army, Sampke Society, Look Bag and Sindulge. Right now Sindulge is the one on the brink. The consultation gimmick is a huge pain in the tuchas, and while I'm sure Youngblood products are good, the powder I received was too dark. But that's not Youngblood's problem; I went out of my way to let Ami know that while my surname is South Asian (married an Indian) I'm Polish with a fair complexion. If this horsepucky keeps up, and I have to still point it out every month, they're gone. I got the penny box and they're giving me the free one. If the one I pay full price for is not useable, that will be the deal breaker.

The subscriptions I'm subscribed to and loving

Beauty Army (wish they offered more makeup)

Birchbox (they have this thing down pat!)

Test Tube (love the full size products!)

Eco Emi (I like the variety of products)

The subscriptions I'm subscribed to and on the fence about

My Glam (well at least I lucked out and got 2 urban decay eyeliners and not another brush)

Green Grab Bag (have only received one bag, I am up to my ears in perfume samples, so I wish they wouldn't have included two of them)

New subscriptions I haven't received yet

Beauty box 5

Goode Box

CANCELLED

Blissmobox (too expensive for only 4 products)

Little Black Bag (too expensive, and honestly a lot of the items look a bit cheap, IDK I'd rather just buy jewelry at Target for less)

I'm also always on the website GWP addict seeing what kind of deals I can get. But I will tell ya, I think this is kind of like an addiction! It's crazy how much beauty s**t I have lol

Subscribed and loving: beauty army + julep maven Subscribed and haven't received: conscious box, QVC TT & sample society May cancel: birch box. 1st month and already pretty disappointed so if next month isn't great I will drop for sure. Julep and QVC gives you the option to slip which is why I am still subscribed. I also heard that beauty army will have that option as well which is great!

I only sub to MG and BB, but I feel the opposite of everyone and I've REALLY liked the Glambags and my BB have been meh. If I can get in on Glossybox I'm cutting BB in a hot minute. Those boxes are too much skincare which I have down pat and don't want to mess with. Then throw the expired product thing in there and I'm so over them. I want the Gossip Girl box in May and then cancellation is on the horizon.

Back