Which Subs are on your Chopping Block?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'm burnt out on subscriptions. I just did the math on how much I'll have spent this month once the quarterly boxes are paid for.

[SIZE=large]What I'm spending in March:[/SIZE]
Sample Society x 1 = $16 (PAID)
Birchbox x 4 = $40 (PAID)
Julep x 1 = $0 (free now thanks to referrals)
MyGlam x 1 = $10 (PAID)

Total spent so far: $66

Beauty Army x 1 = $12
Beauty Box 5 x 1 = $0 (suppose to get March free)
Look Bag x 1 = $10
QVC Test Tube = $40
Test Tube = $38.90
Beautyfix = $29.99 (using the MUT promo code)

Total not paid for yet: $130.89

Grand Total = $196.89!!!

I think I'm cancelling everything but Birchbox, Julep (since I now get that for free), maybe MyGlam (that's still an iffy). I'm so sick of spending $10 here or $12 there on what? Tell me what am I spending almost $200 on? I'll tell... JUNK. Stupid one-time use packets or get a few uses out of it. Stupid stuff like that! I could have EASILY buy stuff I REALLY want and get free gifts with purchase.
This is exactly why I only have two subs at the moment! Thanks for the breakdown, Zadi! 

My subs:

NBTT - My all time fave. Have been subbing for over 4 years!

Eco Emi- my first 'monthly sub' I really like the theme and products, attention to detail and     presentation.

Foodzie- A fun foodie box with unique goodies.

My Glam- this soap opera is starting to get old.LOL On the fence.

Just cancelled!

Beauty Box 5 - just didn't cut it.

Julep- Getting too pricey. Polish a little on the watery side but I liked their hand lotion.

Just subscribed!

Sample Society -I figure if they're connected to Allure magazine and i love the Allure Spring beauty boxes I'l like this.

Under consideration:

Beauty Fix

TT QVC version

Doesn't count but also cancelled Disney Movie Club and Cocoa Daisy Scrapbook kit subs also! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My subs:

curlBOX

My Shade of Brown

Birchbox

I cut:

MyGlam (too basic for me)

Beauty Box 5 (i felt jipped after my April packet)

sindulge (not in the mood for a "consultation) Good idea for a sub, bad execution

About to cut Julep soon.  I'm too lazy to call and I keep skipping the month LOL

I am currently subscribed to-

-Birchbox

-MyGlam

& JUST subbed to Glossybox.

Birchbox is being cancelled, MyGlam has one month left to try to keep me, and I can't wait for my glossybox!

I just cancelled Sample Society to make room in my budget for Glossybox, although I was very happy with the two boxes I received. I cancelled Sindulge to make room for an occasional Conscious Box. I still have annual Birchbox and annual MyGlam. I am technically still subscribed to Julep and BeautyFix, skipping most months.

I've subbed and cancelled:

Blissmobox

Beauty Army

Birchbox

Keeping my subs for:

Glossy Box

Little Black Bag

I currently have: New Beauty Test tube, Myglam, and BB.  I am thinking about paying for a full yr of BB to save a few bucks.  If I had to ditch one, it would probably be MG.  I kind of want to wait to receive the rest of my brush kit.

At first when this 'monthly box' deal came out it was really exciting - now I'm kinda over it. I have Birchbox and Myglam - and have been doing this for about a year. When I'm done looking thru the boxes I put them in a drawer - opened my drawer yesterday and it's just full of samples i don't use. I think out of the whole year from both companies I have probably used or will use around 10 items. Are all those little samples in that drawer worth the almost $200 i have paid so far??? NO, not worth it. It's exciting to get something in the mail - but if it's constantly something I won't use, it's a waste of money. Even if I use a couple of items out of all that, still isn't worth the money. I'm cancelling both in July, my b-day is in June - so after that.

Also just expressing my OWN opinion - I don't mean anything negative towards anybody - it's seems lately all the MUT forums are about these subscription boxes - sometimes the whole page is nothing but threads on subs. I miss the normal beauty / hair / cosmetic threads that aren't about subs. I've been on here daily since 2006 but lateley it's slowed down becuase I'm so tired of seeing subscription box threads!! I want to read people's opinion on makeup / hair / everyday life - not what they got in a box. Again - my own opinion - had to get it out.

Originally Posted by jewele /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also just expressing my OWN opinion - I don't mean anything negative towards anybody - it's seems lately all the MUT forums are about these subscription boxes - sometimes the whole page is nothing but threads on subs. I miss the normal beauty / hair / cosmetic threads that aren't about subs. I've been on here daily since 2006 but lateley it's slowed down becuase I'm so tired of seeing subscription box threads!! I want to read people's opinion on makeup / hair / everyday life - not what they got in a box. Again - my own opinion - had to get it out.
I totally understand your perspective! This is why I so quickly burned out on unboxing videos. It's kind of like, "Why am I watching YET ANOTHER person showing me what they got, when I KNOW what's in the box?" On my (launching soon) blog, I'm actually TRYING not to do a lot of swatch/review posts, but more service-type articles, just because the field IS so glutted with "Oh, here's the new press release from so-and-so" followed shortly after with, "Here are swatches of the whole line" followed shortly after with "Here's a review of the one or two I really liked".

Originally Posted by jewele /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At first when this 'monthly box' deal came out it was really exciting - now I'm kinda over it. I have Birchbox and Myglam - and have been doing this for about a year. When I'm done looking thru the boxes I put them in a drawer - opened my drawer yesterday and it's just full of samples i don't use. I think out of the whole year from both companies I have probably used or will use around 10 items. Are all those little samples in that drawer worth the almost $200 i have paid so far??? NO, not worth it. It's exciting to get something in the mail - but if it's constantly something I won't use, it's a waste of money. Even if I use a couple of items out of all that, still isn't worth the money. I'm cancelling both in July, my b-day is in June - so after that.

Unless the sample subscriptions bring you excitement and/or value, skip it. You have the right idea. I still find much excitement and value in mine at this point, but if that changes, it's definitely time for the chopping block. Trading probably keeps a lot of that excitement going for me currently. I am about to "curate" sample boxes for my mom and for my best friend from my stash; that is fun for me, to share the products with people whose tastes I have enough knowledge of to pick the right items. It's funny: my BFF is actually going to pay $10 a month for this. That way she gets the joy of a sub without as much risk. And I get the joy of being a personal shopper.

I enjoy the other parts of MUT as well. I especially like to see the FOTD and NOTD posts. The shopping tips have saved me tons. I've also learned how to most effectively use many of my samples from reading of the experiences of the people here. My favorite discovery from my time on MUT: Skin79 BB Cream.

If you get tired of wading through the gab of sample subscriptions, which is understandable, maybe you can select the types of forums that appeal to you more and subscribe to them. When I only look at my subscriptions on here instead of the New Posts, I save a lot of time and it feels more purposeful.

I just cut BB so I'm subbed now to Glossybox and MyGlam. I'm on no-buy for a while so these are the only beauty products coming into my house so I cherish them!

Back