Why is MAC so popular?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ZOMG... this post is freaking old. MAC has changed A LOT since I've posted this. Since the introduction to their minerals and a wide range of concealers and foundations, I've gained a lot of respect for the line. I do remember the days when I thought MAC was total crap.

Actually, I'm no MAC user.. But their wide range of colorful eyeshadows and good quality are prob what's best about them. I actually tried higher ends like Dior or Chanel; you pay for their names. I'd consider to buy their lipstick/lipgloss since I swatched and found them so much better than chanel or dior ones.

The few MAC shadows Ive tried, have been subpar to Milani, NYX and Loreal HIP.

Actually when I wear these over a lightly appled NYX shadow base, people think it IS MAC.

I dont know if its because im pale or what , but its SOOOOOOOOOOO vibrant. so im happy.
rockwoot.gif

But I do have to say I love MAC pigments and lipsticks.

I was obsessed with MAC at first when we got our first area store at the mall. I bought tons of stuff but to be honest, it never lived up to the hype for me. The lipglass and lipstick absolutely dries my lips out and forms a really yucky film after drinking or talking etc...The eyeliners smudge quite a bit and the shadows can be tricky because some you have to apply a certain way with a certain brush to get it to show up and not end up falling all over you first (i bought idol eyes twice and this happened and unbeknownst to me I need to apply it a certain way and pat it with a conceler type brush!!!!) And for the price I think that is a shame. No one can really afford a ton of the extras now (like certain brushes etc to use to get the product to do what it should) and hey who wants to spend a ton of extra time in the morning anyway. They seem to continually raise their prices too and all the collections sometimes seem like they are a variation of the same thing.

I always noticed at the mac counter they have transgendered ppl (men dressed up like women in makeup) and they tend to be so rude. Sometimes, I feel as though they are jealous of women and wish they could really be one

My opinion is because it was one of the first affordable, high-end makeup companies and they also catered to celebrities alot in the beginning and you know people always want what the hottest celebrities are wearing... some items are better than others, and some things can be overrated, but overall MAC is good makeup.

Personally I am some what cool in regards to MAC. I have tried a couple of the foundations but it just did not agree with my skin at all. Never purchase their e/s, blushes, or lip glosses. I would like to try those things but it is forever crowded at that counter. Plus me being a makeup noob, I tend to feel intimidated by the selections offered. But directly in front of the MAC counter is the NARS counter. So far I am happy over there. Plus the SA gets a healthy commission when I shop there.

MAC is good, but they really aren't the alpha and omega of makeup. There are SOOOO many lines out there that each bring so much to the whole game.

I don't like their foundations - the coverage is great but they wreak havoc on my complexion but the lipglosses (I'm a lipglass addict) are great! People also love the eye shadows, blushes and the matte powder is excellent.

Sorry, but i dont get this MAC hype. I live in a very sophisticated country, and MAC is only available in one store only. It is in our Capitol City. If this was a really outstanding makeupline, everyone would have been raving about it. And if they did, it would be available everywhere here by now. Sooo, how come its not all over us now....?

whistling.gif

I think that MAC is so popular is because of the selection of colors and the price. I don't like the foundation, it ALWAYS breaks me out, and the eyeshadows are too matte and powdery like you said. I like shimmery powders like those from EDM. Those are great! I think some Mac products are better than others but I don't think MAC should be the ONLY makeup someone should buy for everything.

I love the colors and the packaging, plus when the collections come out forget about it... I go crazy!

I use MAC foundations on my clients who range from teenaged girls getting their senior photos taken, to brides, to drag queens. I have never had a single complaint from any of them about breakouts from the product.

I love the colors.

I love the recycling.

I love the dedication to all of us makeup users, and makeup artists.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't like it. Many drugstore brands are just as good, if not better. Yes, I adore Gosh. It is truly wonderful.
rockwoot.gif
And then there is ArtDeco and Make Up Factory that is semi high end, which that I mean that they have the quality as high end brands, but is not that expencive.
love5.gif

i like their stuff. i've been there twice only. and i usually just go, grab wat i want and leave.

i hate the rude salewomen there. they give me that "i dont belong here" look. and they are not very helpful.

I like MAC...right now the Studio Fix liquid foundation works for me (NC42). Its one of the few that actually matches my complextion all most exactly. It's highly expensive though (25.00). I would like to find a dupe or comparable one of these days. I love the lipglass and some shadows as well. A few of the shadows were a little to matte for me. I like shimmer. NYX shadows and lipgloss are quickly replacing MAC for me though.

Personally I feel in love with MAC when they started making pigments. My eyes have always been sensitve to dark shadows and would break out. MAC Pigments are the only type of shadow that doesnt bother my eyes/skin. Before they made pigments 75% of the make-up I wore was MACS. There foundation no longer works that great on me, maybe cause I'm 43 now and not in my 20's, lol. Besides that, most of my make-up is MAC.

Thats part of the reason I became a sample seller, I finally found a product that didnt bother my eyes and wanted to share it with others along with giving them a safe place to buy the real thing at a decent price.

I totally agree with everyone else when it comes to their foundation, it really isnt very good
frown.gif

Pro's-

The people who work at my MAC store are so sweet and really helpful, I've never had a problem with a snobby MUA and mine are quite funny!

The color selection is huge and I can pretty much find what ever I want in a matter of a few minutes.

The eyeshadows are very pigmented and stay on nicely when I use UDPP

It's a cheap department store brand

My MAC often times has stuff from older collections that most MAC stores run out of on the first day

Cons-

Some of the stuff (like Fix+) is way overpriced

The lipstick can be drying

The MSF Natural doesn't show up on my skin at all

The stores are really small and crowded.

I have only read the thread TITLE and the 1st paragraph of the OP, but I'ma go head and ask. Has Scarlette been back here since the week this thread was started?
laughing.gif

Back