Why is MAC so popular?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the brand name didn't mean anything to me until i seen the swatches ,seeing how good quality color and staying power is what made me choose to try MAC not the advertisement

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif BINGO! Somebody finally said it. ^
applaus.gif

A company does not get high accolades for merely providing good products. There were other companies out there who have probably produced better stuff than MAC who went under because they rested upon the simple fact that their makeup line was "better". It doesn't work that way.

It is 100% about active advertising, marketing, campaigning, endorsements. If you never saw it, you would never buy it.

You only find out if something is of good use when you buy it. And you only buy something, if you see it. Excellent advertising and subsequent word of mouth is what gets MAC the sales.

I love everything about MAC except the foundations, which are notoriously comedogenic. Other than that, everything about the brand is highly pigmented, has unbelievable texture, flawless finish, high quality (especially the fullsize brushes). Will be a MAC fan probably till I'm old and gray.

ditto!!!

Originally Posted by periwinkle_sky /img/forum/go_quote.gif Other than that, everything about the brand is highly pigmented, has unbelievable texture, flawless finish, high quality (especially the fullsize brushes). Will be a MAC fan probably till I'm old and gray.

I am PRO-MAC all the way. Fluidlines is genius. Stays on all day and night. THe lipglosses have all ranges of colors. If you choose a loud bright color, it's your choice. But Mac has a broad color palette, of pales neutrals, pinks and I go for those pale subdued colors.

I also have to say that if one chooses to looks heavily made up then, that's your signature look. I like their lipstick and lipglosses. The colors come in a wide variety so it's up to you to want to either look like a clown, (which I have seen the over the top makeup), or choose the more subdued colors. It all depends on choice.

Go MAC!!

DITTO!!

Originally Posted by chinadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am PRO-MAC all the way. Fluidlines is genius. Stays on all day and night. THe lipglosses have all ranges of colors. If you choose a loud bright color, it's your choice. But Mac has a broad color palette, of pales neutrals, pinks and I go for those pale subdued colors.
I also have to say that if one chooses to looks heavily made up then, that's your signature look. I like their lipstick and lipglosses. The colors come in a wide variety so it's up to you to want to either look like a clown, (which I have seen the over the top makeup), or choose the more subdued colors. It all depends on choice.

Go MAC!!

I've never had a problem with the people in MAC stores or any other make up store being rude. For the most part, they are pretty nice.

Some things I don't like:

1) Their foundation tends to not stay matte for over two hours maybe. I have to keep patting it down with the compact and blotting papers. It did however pass the water test, meaning it's finely milled.

2) I find that their satin and cream lipsticks are too shiny and easily "prespire" with a tiny increase in temperature.

3) The make up artists seem to think that because I'm asian that they need to give me medium/dark and very yellow foundation (even though my skin is a mid-Ivory)...which makes me look like I've been playing in the dirt. A lot of bad judgment calls.

4) Brushes are a little overpriced.

Some things I like:

1) Their matte lipsticks are great. You need a conditioning base, but they wear for almost all day if you line them and apply enough. The scent is also pleasant.

2) I love their shadows and pigment pots.

3) For some reason, I'm hooked on the fragrance of their make up wipes. I just had to buy a pack.

4) I like the Mascara X and Fibre Rich Lash.

Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif Actually the brand name didn't mean anything to me until i seen the swatches ,seeing how good quality color and staying power is what made me choose to try MAC not the advertisement
But how did you find out about MAC?

I didn't find out about MAC until visiting makeup message boards. Where I live, MAC is not advertised in magazines or billboards or found in stores.

I had never heard of MAC until coming on this site. lol. I don't actually know makeup by brand because I've never had the money. I have only bought from a popular brand once and I ended up having an alergic reaction so I just stick to cheapo stuff.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't like it. Many drugstore brands are just as good, if not better. I am glad someone said it, MAC is a nice brand, but it is not end all as far as cosmetics go.

I like MAC because they make high-quality products at a reasonable price. Compared to other high-end cosmetics, MACs prices aren't that bad. Also, I love their company motto - " All ages, all races, all sexes." They don't aim for a single demographic like some other MU companies do - their products are made for everyone. MAC doesn't discriminate
smile.gif

First off, i'm going to say that i have yet to buy any of their stuff because the closest store is an hour drive from wear i live; and as i already have a HG foundie and make my own bright e/s, the only thing i would try would be their fluidlines....

Originally Posted by hazel06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif does mac makeup stay on longer then any other make up??? which from what i've heard is the ONLY thing that consistently stays on longer than other brands

MAC Pigment is the only type of eyeshadow I wear 99% of the time. My eyes are really sensitive and when they came out with pigments around 2001 I was finally able to wear something that didnt irritate my lids
6.gif
. I love how long they stay on also and I have most of their colors. When it comes to some of their other products I'm so-so on them. I don't wear their foundation anymore and found HIP eyeliner works better on me then MAC's fluidline but when it comes to their pigments they are the best
smile.gif
I recently tried MAC's MES's shadows and like those also.

M.a.c to me is a really good brand i have used it and there products do deliver what they promise except there foundations does are a no no no for me but in the other hand there are other companies like coastal scents and starsmakeupheaven that there products are compare to m.a.c, enkore with koren was actually the first person that i hear comparing the 88 palette to some of the colors that m.a.c have and he said i love this palette but its everyones choice if you are good with makeup is goin to show no matter what brand you used! Ok let me refrase that except for the max factor eye shadows.

Back