Why is MAC so popular?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good morning everyone!

I have to say I love MAC for a number of reasons:

- their colors rock. especially Spice lipliner and Shroom eyeshadow.

- they give back - not only with recycling/green initiatives with their packaging, but also with their Viva Glam campaign supporting AIDS

- and lastly, their packaging is cool. I know a lot of brands have that spare, black thing going on but MAC packaging just grabs me and always has.
smile.gif

I've used MAC scince it was launched and I've never had any gripes with it. The MUAs don't work on commision apparently which I like and I've only had problems with two SAs. One who told me to put "her" eyeshadows back(I'd taken them out to give to her as I wanted to buy them! I left them on the counter, didn't buy them there and told her how rude she was!) The other time I asked for a match for studio fix and the guy didn't bother to try it on me and sold me the wrong colour, Jerk. However, considering the amount of times I've gone to their counters I can't complain, the VAST majority of their staff are a delight to deal with. I've never been put under any pressure to buy things I don't need.

I think their range of colours and textures is incomparable. I've never had any of their products break me out. I also think its reasonably priced comparing it to other Dept Store brands. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

I do like that there's a HUGE range of e/s, so any color I need at any given moment is availible. But I'm not a huge fan of the foundations either (the ones I've tried so far have been way too heavy)

Maybe it's a Northern California thing, not a California thing, cause I live in LA and the SAs are nice in all the MAC stores I've been to here (quite a few).

Anyway, I love their lipstick and lipglasses, but I find their e/s too bright and base too fake, and concealer too thick. But their lipsticks are my favorites (except for Chanel, but I rarely buy Chanel - too expensive) because I love the colors, the textures and how they wear.

i like their eyeshadows, the cream blushes are pretty nice too. i have a couple of pressed irridescent powders that i like. but thats pretty much it for MAC. i am in love with Sephora and all the different brands they carry...

I'm not a huge die hard fan of Mac like some people. I agree with you that the mac look is easy to recognize. The only thing I occasionally buy from Mac is an eyeliner or lipglass. I have had experiences with rude makeup artists at mac before, that didn't leave me with a pleasant experience. I don't understand either why everyone loves Mac so much, I don't find the makeup that great!

Do you work at mac full time?

Awesome discussion. My best friend raves about MAC, I actually bough 100 dollars worth of stuff and returned half of it because I had bought liquid fountdation and powder. I have tried almost every different type of foundation that Mac has and I have to say, it's horrible for my skin. I have a very oily/acne pronce skin and MAC makes it worse. I went to my dermatologist and he said that the makeup was too heavy and cakey and I needed something else that left my skin breath. MAC is used in circuses around the world, and for people who pefromr in theaters. They need makeup that will last forever and looks opaque. That's why I don't think MAC is like the best brand even though my friend now works for them and she swears by the MAC code.

I like the eye shadows and fluidlines, however. I think they are very opaque and long lasting. Also don't smudge too much. I'm a big eyeliner kind of person and the darker the eyeliner and makeup the better. I like their lipsticks but I have to wear somthing underneath them like a waxy lip balm like Burts Bees lip balm. I love Burts Bees, they have very good products. But if I wore the lipstick alone then it would get dry and flakey I do agree. I personally don't think MAC is the end all be all of makeup, but I like that they offer and very good range of colours for eyes and lips. I can find an eye shadow to match like every outfit I had.

That also concerns me that they sai that MAC does not cause blemishes, that is the total opposite. Even the cheaper drugstore makeup causes less blemishes than MAC.

I do think this is a very "hit or miss" situation too. The reason I started to like MAC was because when I was a thin little goth kid in my junior year of high school, I walked into a MAC store and I was treated so fairly and nicely I couldn't believe it! I agree that some MAC stores are not nice, but this is also with every store you go to. At the Victoria's Secret I work at, we are extremely nice to our customers, so is Oak Brook, but when I travelled all the way to Woodfield, I noticed I was treated like crap, even at their MAC store. It really matters on the place and the people. I still walk into MAC today and am treated extremely fairly, and every single one of those girls (and guy) are so kind to me.

Also, I disagree about the eyeshadows. Granted, I had to find two great bases for my eyes before I got this right. Those eyeshadows are AWESOME. I can use a MAC eyeshadow on one eye, and a eyeshadow of somewhere completely different, with my primers, and the MAC will NOT crease worth a damn! It's awesome, and so is fluidline!

And as for the foundation, the first one I got was Satinfinish, and I really really like it. It never broke me out, and it's always given me a nice finish.

So yeah, it pretty much is all hit and miss about MAC or any other brand.

is it just me or does anyone else mac's studio fix fluid foundation cakey? i cant help but get that cakey look

foundation breaks ppl out ! my fds an makeupartist and she never use it anymore after trying it out once.

i must say mac does have some strong colors like the blue lipstick i saw today..

I'm a convertor.

I used to not want to buy anything from MAC solely based on their higher prices. I stuck w/ NYX or drugstore brands until I caved in from all the reviews on here and bought me a few shades earlier this year.

And well, wow! Besides it's huge collection - I'm impressed w/ its staying power. I love it all - eyeshadows, blushes, liners, lip products.

I own at best, 5 things from MAC. Shadow, pencil and Studio Fix+.

No complaints from the product themselves. The foundation is my HG since it's exact to my skin color and Ive searched high and low for a good one. I only cover a few spots, not my whole face - and since it's matte I believe. My normally oily face is not so oily w/ this on.
biggrin.gif

Ive prolly met some stuck up mua, but I dont remember. The ones who actually help me have been really sweet and funny. Oddly, they were all filipino girls.

Especially the ones that work at the Macys in the Concord mall if anyone lives near me. Or the ones at West Field Bloomingdale in Frisco.

My downside is the price. And how they come out with new collections a lot, which means theyll discontinue it right after. Er. Lol.

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif Things I don't like about it:Most of the time, you can tell someone is wearing MAC just by looking at their face. Heavy pigmented eyeshadows, some very matte, dramatic, powdery look.

I don't get why I've heard this so many times! MAC sell cosmetics, its not up to them how their customers use it. I suppose that striking pigments are hard to come across elsewhere [especially in Department Store brands], which means there's limited choice for people who enjoy a dramatic, heavily-pigmented look? I agree a lot of MAC users are a bit colour-crazy, but there's no need to add this to your dislikes. MAC may appeal to such an audience, but they're not hand-picking what their customers chose to do with their eyeshadow. They have plenty of neutral and natural-looking shadows, and plenty of finishes that are far from matte. There are plenty of people who coat themselves clumsily in makeup, it isn't the brands' fault.  

That said, I really only go to MAC for eyeshadow/pigments, and lip products. I'm not a fan of their foundations, concealers, powders, blushes and what not at all, really. [YSL is my favourite brand for essentials!] I suppose the thing that drew me in at first was the fact that the only colours that really flattered my skin didn't really seem widely available amongst other brands: I struggled to find any shadows and liners in Emerald Green I could buy from a store, and there were no teals, true glitzy golds, or liners that didn't slide across my face in sight!

I suppose MAC suits me personally, because it was the first and only place I could find in Sydney that actually made makeup in my HG colours. I'm happy to pay just about anything for a shade that sets my skin tone off like nothing else, and its even better to be able to find just about any shade I want in one place!

Originally Posted by Kemper /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't get why I've heard this so many times! MAC sell cosmetics, its not up to them how their customers use it. I suppose that striking pigments are hard to come across elsewhere [especially in Department Store brands], which means there's limited choice for people who enjoy a dramatic, heavily-pigmented look? I agree a lot of MAC users are a bit colour-crazy, but there's no need to add this to your dislikes. MAC may appeal to such an audience, but they're not hand-picking what their customers chose to do with their eyeshadow. They have plenty of neutral and natural-looking shadows, and plenty of finishes that are far from matte. There are plenty of people who coat themselves clumsily in makeup, it isn't the brands' fault.
That said, I really only go to MAC for eyeshadow/pigments, and lip products. I'm not a fan of their foundations, concealers, powders, blushes and what not at all, really. [YSL is my favourite brand for essentials!] I suppose the thing that drew me in at first was the fact that the only colours that really flattered my skin didn't really seem widely available amongst other brands: I struggled to find any shadows and liners in Emerald Green I could buy from a store, and there were no teals, true glitzy golds, or liners that didn't slide across my face in sight!

I suppose MAC suits me personally, because it was the first and only place I could find in Sydney that actually made makeup in my HG colours. I'm happy to pay just about anything for a shade that sets my skin tone off like nothing else, and its even better to be able to find just about any shade I want in one place!

I think that MAC is so popular because of its strong marketing stratetgies and the campaigns that are forcasted to the mainstream public. It also boasts the ideals of diversity which appeals to my women worldwide especially women of color.
sheep.gif

I have never owned anything from Mac. Other than being overpriced { like Stila }and over rated, Mac has some awesome colors. It's great that a customer can take back empties and can get a free product. I dislike and will not put up with an mean,rude Mac makeup artist,that person would get reported to their supervisor, or the head office for sure!!

Why buy Mac, when you can buy a knock-off for cheap?

i dont really use mac

except for the powder n yeah I got a serious breakout!!

I like MAC no matter what anyone says. I use the eyeshadows and the eyeliners, Fluidlines. I like their young hip colors, bright and new. I think that youhave to separate the bad customer service if you get any, which is not Mac's fault. Ihave not have a bad experience with MAC sales people. They have been quite helpful. I like MAC and I'm glad they are around. I do agree, their lipsticks can be quite drying but their lipglosses are great. GO MAC!!

I have shopped at MAC before, but I only bought the Pigments. I just can't seeing paying $14 for one little eyeshadow, when I can go buy some that are cheaper and just as cute. I don't need expensive stuff.
icon_colors.gif

I love M.A.C. because I love color and the ability to have options. M.A.C gives me options in every facet of their product line. I love the fact that they have a huge color range for eyeshadows. They are highly pigmented and depending on your application...they have awesome staying power. I love that I sell blush for people of all skin tones. Their bronzers are in a league of their own. They always have creative collections. Creative lip glosses and I don't know what I would do with out fluidline. This is just the tip of the iceberg!

But I refuseeeeeeee to wear their foundations and I do not reccomend them for any of my clients/friends as I believe that there are other lines that offer better products, coverage and do not kill your skin. They do have great brushes but I have found awesome ones elsewhere that are similar/better for pennies.

Lastly...since I am freelance M.A. and wouldn't mind working at a counter I have come across some really retarded M.A.C. folk who feel they are god's gift to make-up. I'm not kissing anyone's tushie to get a gig...especially when I know I have talent!

But I'm still a M.A.C. girl since 1997 and still going...

Back