Why is MAC so popular?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by gretlirina /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, if you typically buy drugstore makeup, then MAC is much more expensive. But I almost always buy things on the premise that I'd rather have quality than quantity. MAC's e/s is very pigmented so that gives me the option of applying it lightly, and having a light color, or applying it darker for a more intense look. It has never creased for me, even after working out!!
smile.gif
I just don't like most of the drugstore e/s colors all that much and they look so washed out and pale because there's hardly any pigment in the makeup. I'm not a fan of MAC's mascara, but I always use a little concealer for undereye area. And even though their lipgloss / lipglass / lustreglass is sticky, it's sexy, shiny and stays on forever!! I love it! Exactly why I converted to Mac, like my husband said, he would rather see my buy 5 of these and be happy with them, and get use out of them. Then by a bunch of drugstore eyeshadows that are going to gather dust in a draw....
I do believe quality is better than quanity.

Originally Posted by EyeCandyDiva /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've often pondered this question about MAC as well, I think the colors are simply amazing and the quality is great, but I also feel that MAC can sometimes be overrated. There are many other quality products for far more reasonable prices that can offer the same look. I love MAC, but honestly there are tons of products I love more...so I guess I'm torn...LOL I agree with you, I am a woman of color also. I'm African American. I am a huge fan of the Mattese NYC line of cosmetics which is now being sold at Perfumania and Perfumania.com. I am also a strong fan of Astarte Cosmetics.(http://www.astartecosmetics.com)
vogel.gif

MAC is just okay, i am not a big fan either i have some e/s which costs way too much in my opinion because it wears off quickly, their lipliners are very drying and the makeup primer made me break out so i dunno, for the prices its not a good buy at all for what u get in my opinion- i am a mark/avon fanatic. good quality at good price, who wouldnt like that?

I like the texture of their lipglass, and the selection of e/s colors. Also, price wise they are less expensive than a lot of other companies.

i agree with the mac workers that are rude and un willing to help. they seem very impatient to me esp. the ones at the MAC stores (not the ones in nordstroms etc. etc.)

other than that i only use mac's lipglasses and some eye shadows b/c they're cheap. thats about it

I love MAC and sure everybody has their favorites. I don't think any makeup line is bad just b/c some people have issues with it. I think more people DON'T have issues with MAC than those that do. Everyone's skin is different though. I have used several of MAC's foundations including Studio Fix & I have never had a problem with any of them. I'm sure though that some of your favorites might not work well on me either. So I don't think it's a question of whether or not MAC is good. MAC is a good makeup line for some people but not for all. Just like I think most drugstore makeup is total crap and some people think it's just as good. I was really surprised to hear you say that people complain about their e/s creasing. That's one of the reasons I love their e/s so much b/c it doesn't do that like a lot of other makeup lines. As far as the people that work there being rude... well they are super nice where I'm from so I'm sure that's just where you live where they are rude. I definitely don't think that's a company wide problem.

I liked MAC a lot until I discovered other brands and now I think MAC is just OK. I have to agree on the lipsticks, they are drying. I like the fact that MAC has a wide variety of eyeshadows.

I like MAC because the range of eyeshadows in singles. The prices are fairly reasonable. I have to mention that I get Milani eyeshadows whenever possible.

For the most part i just love MAC because of their wide range of colours and shades

I also really like studiofix powder and hacent had any issues with it so far
smile.gif

I TOTALLY agree with the comment about MAC employee's the ones at the mall by my house are quite rude and intimidating. They make me feel as if my money isnt as good as the next persons.. like they dont understand i am a teenager that devotes her paycheck every week to make-up, if anything they should be wanting to keep my business i could take my hard earned minimum wage money elsewhere
smile.gif

but i do love thier eyeshadows/pigments

my faves are coppering, subtle, blue brown, rose gold and retro-violet.

I'm not faithful to MAC, but it is my go-to brand. I first got into it because I thought, if it's good enough for all these makeup artists & celebrities, it's good enough for me. Now I love the variety of products/shades they have. It's still pricey for a poor college student such as myself, but it's less expensive than other higher end brands. It has a young image, but it's still professional, not like Estee Lauder, but not like Urban Decay. I also like its' slogan-All ages, all races, all sexes, all MAC.

Funny that you say it's not Estee Lauder but it's not Urban Decay. I know Urban Decay features some crazy looks in their advertising but they actually do my neutral go-to minimal makeup products. I love their matte eyeshadow trios, I have the brown one and the grey one, they're great for really subtle contouring and the grey one is fantastic for doing a smokey eye. Everything I've tried has been a really great quality product.

The big advantage to MAC is pricing and range of shades but as I've said before that advantage disappears somewhat when you're in the UK, they don't carry much of the range of shades they have in the US and the price is nearly twice as much when you figure in the exchange rate.

i love Mac e/s, for the range of shades available, and i'm very fond of my springbean lustreglass. so far i've only met nice MUA willing to help me, so i like that too. however, if i had to name my favorite brand, i'd say it's definitely urban decay, not Mac.
kopfkratz.gif
i guess more than favorite brands i just have favorite products, and among them there's some Mac products. does that make sense?

I love the MAC pencil eye liner. It is so soft and goes on so nicely. The colors are great too. I also like the powder blush a lot. It lasts a very long time. I was in LA and got some similar blush at Naimi's (a big makeup artist store out there) and it was exactly the same size as the MAC version but lasted 1/2 as long. The MAC pigments are great.

I absolutely love MAC for their lipglasses, blushes, fluidlines, eyeshadows and pigments.
smile.gif

Definately the eyeshadows for two main reasons. First color selection, any color you want you can find. Second, their staying power. My MAC eyeshadow stays on all day and all night. New Years Eve I wore my MAC eyeshadow and when I got home around 5 in the morning my eyeshadow look just like it did when I left to go out. And I was out dancing.

I love the lip glasses and all types of eye liners. Their brushes are also fabulous.

With MAC it totally depends on what kind of a look you want. If you are someone that likes a more natural look you just have to be careful with the colors you select because some definately are not natural looking.

I love MAC for their colors and quality of make up.

I also love the customer service. I frequent two different counters and one free standing store, and all three of them are fantastic. They answer my questions and always seem super excited to help me. They aren't always objective, though, so I like to bring a friend to let me know if I should really wear it or not.

I hate online customer service though. I ordered some stuff and when it sent me the conformation email there was a lot of stuff on there that I hadn't ordered! I emailed them back telling them that there was a mistake and there was stuff I was paying for that I had never ordered. It took them three days to email me back and all they said was that I'd have to ship it back to get a refund, but I wouldn't get refunded on any shipping fees. I ended up keeping everything and selling it or using it for myself, but I'm still choked that I got punished for a computer error on their behalf.

I am a mineral makeup freak when it comes to foundation, some lip glazes and blushes, but for eyeshadows, mineralize skinfinishes, some pigments, shadesticks, lipsticks and lipglosses, it's gotta be MAC. I love my MSFs so much, I am proud to have collected all (except Pleasureflush). I get so much satisfaction with the fact that I can create whatever look I want because most colors, textures, and finishes are right there at my fingertips, thanks to MAC's wide product selection.

I only turn to MAC when I can't find a color anywhere else. There's always a cheaper alternative...about the only thing I haven't been able to find elsewhere is BRIGHT red eyeshadow.

Back